Axe Wraps

PDA

View Full Version : Axe Wraps

Will Swanson
05-31-2009, 01:13 AM
http://www.axewraps.com/

Has anyone ever tried these? They seem like a good deal.

I just thought I'd share.

captainoid
05-31-2009, 01:22 AM
That looks like the stupidest thing to do to your guitar ever. Just paint it yourself. The only way to put stickers on a guitar (IMMHO) is to cover the entire finish, then clearcoat. Otherwise just put some time aside, and get to know your axe!

narcoticsfairy
05-31-2009, 01:23 AM
Some of those look really cool. Anyone know if they're any good?

Will Swanson
05-31-2009, 01:41 AM
That looks like the stupidest thing to do to your guitar ever. Just paint it yourself. The only way to put stickers on a guitar (IMMHO) is to cover the entire finish, then clearcoat. Otherwise just put some time aside, and get to know your axe!

The thing about these is that they are apparently easy to remove and put different ones on. They seem pretty convenient.

MetalMan313
06-28-2009, 07:41 PM
yeah, im thinking of giving them a go, they have uncut ones i would cut myself for my dean, even if i totally F my guitar up its still a hundred dolla POS ne ways. coulddnt go wrong i guess they do have a few nice looking ones, if i do get one and put on my dean i will post some pix so u can see the outcome, im also getting some skull fret markers off of ebay for 15 bucks, they look prett cool too, lol its for a dean so dont give me crap, lol its a POS anyways might as well try to spruce it up a bit, for looks anyways....

[VictorinoX]
06-28-2009, 08:18 PM
this is just about as stupid as those "shred necks"

LemonBurst
06-28-2009, 08:29 PM
So it's a sticker?

mamosa
06-28-2009, 08:31 PM
So it's a sticker?

Nope. It's a dry paintjob ready for application because of adhesive applied to the back! :rolleyes:

LifeIsABullet16
06-28-2009, 08:35 PM
thats really cool, but i wouldn't put it on anything i pair more than $100 for.

led_zeppelin_96
06-28-2009, 09:46 PM
that is probably the worst site ive seen ever.....i wouldnt trust it....

MetalMan313
06-28-2009, 09:48 PM
which is why im doing it on a 100 dollar axe. lol, give it a face lift. they seem to turn out prett good and they have a EVH frankenstrat sticker. idk i might do the dean in a blue black n white one idk

mamosa
06-28-2009, 09:56 PM
It's a $100 guitar. Do it.

axewraps
06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
I actually subscribed to this forum a couple months back and noticed some "chatter" about our guitar skins. If anyone has any questions about the axewraps, I would love to answer them. Our product was actually reviewed by Guitar Player magazine in May on page 88 if any of you have that back issue. Its a new concept, but it been doing very well. Thanks for your interest Metalman and Will Swanson!

MetalMan313
06-29-2009, 07:54 PM
just ordered the blue/white/black frankenstrat. we'll see how it comes out once i get it and an x-acto knife

Alex Vik
06-29-2009, 08:04 PM
None of them are all that great IMO.

MetalMan313
06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
both of my guitar are flat satin trans black whaterver its called, the dean was cheap, might as well give it a facelift and post the resaults once i apply it to my liking, if i have enough scrap left id also like to do the headstock, that might look cool to have a matching headstock,,, idk we'll see how it looks when i get it and have a chance to apply it

wolfy808
06-29-2009, 11:08 PM
I would only use something like this on a pickguard. Never a full body "paint" job.

Free to Guitar
06-29-2009, 11:15 PM
I'll be watching to see what the feedback is on these. I have a Strat knock-off that looks very dull. It's not worth the money or the time to repaint it. One of these stickers may just do the trick.

SayAnything
06-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Cha this seems interesting....my only concern would be the overall "cheese" factor of it. If the vinyl sheets look convincing enough and doesn't look like the aftermath of a 16 year old trying to put Wal-Mart window tint on their first beater car, then I may spring for one for gigs.

Victor Manuel
06-29-2009, 11:53 PM
There are a few threads with pictures of dudes that bought them

http://www.axewraps.com/forums/wraps/

kranoscorp
06-30-2009, 12:29 AM
As a person who has tried to do a sticker based finish, I must warn you it is incredibly difficult to apply. The reason? Air bubbles.

The stickers are very large, so you need to try and eyeball it perfectly to fit on the guitar. If you don't you may have to shift the sticker a little bit, which will create large rifts and air bubbles. I nearly pulled my hair out applying my finish, and even then I botched the clearcoat over it (the rifts lifted up, breaking through the clearcoat).

I am NEVER doing a sticker based finish again.

axewraps
06-30-2009, 01:36 PM
You can also check out our gallery at with a bunch of different customer submitted finished photos at www.axewraps.com/gallery

axewraps
06-30-2009, 01:43 PM
As a person who has tried to do a sticker based finish, I must warn you it is incredibly difficult to apply. The reason? Air bubbles.

The stickers are very large, so you need to try and eyeball it perfectly to fit on the guitar. If you don't you may have to shift the sticker a little bit, which will create large rifts and air bubbles. I nearly pulled my hair out applying my finish, and even then I botched the clearcoat over it (the rifts lifted up, breaking through the clearcoat).

I am NEVER doing a sticker based finish again.

We understand your feelings. That is why we developed the axewraps with a vinyl that implements rapid air release technology. There is actually a system of micro channels that permeates the adhesive side of the vinyl. Any trapped air that would normally create bubbles and/or wrinkles completely disappear when any pressure is applied to them. You can actually view some video application instuctions that show you how easy these are to apply at http://www.axewraps.com/instructions/

MetalMan313
06-30-2009, 09:36 PM
yeah its similar to automobile wrap vynal if im not mistakedn the kind they wrap ads oncars with. plus i do window tinting as my job so applying shouldnt be too hard lol

the uncut sheets are 18x24 which will give me enough to do the headstock as well. cant wait to see how it turns out.

can i check my order status or is there a tracking number so i know when it went out??

Alex Vik
06-30-2009, 11:32 PM
I think I've found a paintjob for the Explorer build I've been planning now.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee84/gdfanatic21594/Explorercustompaintjob.png

They didn't have the Explorer shape on there, so I had to make that myself.

Will Swanson
07-04-2009, 02:00 AM
I actually subscribed to this forum a couple months back and noticed some "chatter" about our guitar skins. If anyone has any questions about the axewraps, I would love to answer them. Our product was actually reviewed by Guitar Player magazine in May on page 88 if any of you have that back issue. Its a new concept, but it been doing very well. Thanks for your interest Metalman and Will Swanson!

You're welcome, I really support this thing. I've been wanting something like this for a while. I'm planning on getting the Frankenstrat wrap for my Jackson DK2S. These are re-usable, right? If I have one on, switch it for another, then could I switch it back?

MetalMan313
07-04-2009, 11:51 AM
no its not a cling on its a sticker, with adhiesive. one time use.

SlayingDragons
07-04-2009, 12:07 PM
It looks cool, but I'd rather paint it myself. you know, masking tape and spray paint for the first layer, then use paint and brushes for the smaller details. my freind is gonna help me with painting it, cause hes an amazing artist. He hangs around on ultimate-guitar sometimes too.

MetalMan313
07-04-2009, 07:56 PM
well i dint get mine yeasterday, and there is no USA mail today due to the national holiday and all im going to run to the mailbox monday after work. and if it came im taking a sick day tuesday to install it, i want it to look good. pics will be up when its done. as well as my opinon on them. if it turns out good i might get one for my schecter which will bbe a pain to put on with a floyd and all,

im planning on removing the pickups,pots and switches then cutting out the holes in the wood so when i put them back in it wont have any of the black showing, like i said ill ahve to wait and see

jetmech
07-05-2009, 01:07 AM
We use windex when we apply wraps to our RC gear. Spray windex down, apply the decal and squeegie it out with a credit card or the like and then hit it with a hair dryer. Windex will allow the decal to slide a little so it can be positioned right and will not effect the adhesive. Actually use the same procedure on MX bikes/gear too.

JimiJimmy
07-05-2009, 01:26 AM
I love how you can buy them for guitar hero too, lol.

MetalMan313
07-05-2009, 10:59 AM
yeah that kind of made me think at first, do i really want to put something that they use for video game controllers on my guitar.

MetalMan313
07-09-2009, 05:49 PM
so it took them a WEEK afer ordering to print up shipping from paypal, and the tracking says they havent gotten it to the post office yet, i baught on last day of june and its july 9th and still have not received. i sure hope this isnt a shady company

livrockdie
07-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Well, they have a rep here on UG... So you can grill him about it when he gets back to the thread.

MetalMan313
07-12-2009, 06:36 PM
It came Finally, I am applying today and will post some pix tomorrow when I can get on a computer, I'm currently on my ipod touch posting

MetalMan313
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
http://i28.tinypic.com/2hp0rif.jpg

http://i27.tinypic.com/33f4yvm.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2i894r7.jpg

theres a few i took after putting it on, i think it came out nicely. nice product.
i took the EMG's out of my schecter and put them in the dean my shcecter now has SD invaders, took all the hardware off, cut the holes for it with an exacto knife and put hardware back on.

Thebridge
07-13-2009, 04:49 PM
My only problem with them is they don't cover the entire guitar.

MetalMan313
07-13-2009, 06:00 PM
yeah i mean in therory you could but enough to cover it all, they do sell uncut sheets which is what i used. i could but 2 more and have enough for the whole body