Genre

PDA

View Full Version : Genre

Gwiffleez
06-02-2009, 06:10 PM
I've looked through the Recommendations for about every type of metal and I can't figure out which one I belong to. I like some bands I see in one genre, but in the same genre I'll see bands that I don't like. Some bands I have and like are

The Devil Wears Prada
In Flames
Decapitated
Dethklok
Drop Dead, Gorgeous
Emmure
Gojira
I Set My Friends On Fire
Job For A Cowboy
Killswitch Engage
Lamb of God
Otep
Psychostick
Slipknot

What genre do I belong to/what are some bands i should download? thanks guise

axe_thrasher
06-02-2009, 06:12 PM
You can like more than one type of music. Also a genre isn't what someone belongs to, it is a style of music.

Gwiffleez
06-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Yeah i also like just general rock, including We Are Scientists, Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, and Queens of the Stone Age (plus tons more) and other stuff such as Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass and Mindless Self Indulgence.

stephen_rettie
06-02-2009, 06:17 PM
eugh, a genre is a style of music, not a group of bands you like.

Check out Protest the Hero if you like Btbam, and yes mastodon ****ing rule.

Gwiffleez
06-02-2009, 06:19 PM
i'm mostly asking for more bands i should get into.

ChemicalFire
06-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Go ask for recommendations in the Hardcore forum and you'll do fine.

you = fail
06-02-2009, 06:21 PM
try:
Mastodon
Baroness
Atreyu
BFMV
BTBAM
A Day To Remember
Dillinger Escape Plan
Meshuggah
Mudvayne

Gwiffleez
06-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Thank you, fail. I already have BFMV, A Day To Remember, and BTBAM I just don't like A Day To Remember and BFMV's sound much, and I forgot to mention BTBAM.

JKMV11
06-02-2009, 06:26 PM
in the end...metal is metal and rock is rock. you can subdivide them, but at some point it just gets ridiculous.

from the bands you listed, it sounds like you like melodic death metal and metalcore.

bands i would recommend: soilwork, unearth, nightrage, dark tranquility, coldseed, disarmonia mundi, as i lay dying, all that remains, shadows fall, trivium, god forbid, haste the day, seemless, overcast, and children of bodom.

have you heard of pandora radio? its an internet radio station where you can make your own station. you enter the name of several bands (no limit) and it will play music based on what you put. it is a great way to listen to all you favorite bands, as well as discover new ones. and its free.

i found out about most of the bands i just listed by listening to pandora radio.

Gwiffleez
06-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks JKMV, I also failed to recognize All That Remains and As I Lay Dying in my list. I don't like Trivium much. I've heard of pandora but i don't really like it. Doesn't show up on my last.fm and i don't really like songs that I've never heard of playing when I'm doing stuff on the computer (I like my comfort zone)

sammo_boi
06-02-2009, 06:36 PM
melodic death - Amon Amarth, Sonic Syndicate

metalcore - Spineshank, Parkway Drive, Silent Civilian,

definitely listen to Meshuggah's album obZen

most of the rest seem to have already been said

Gwiffleez
06-02-2009, 06:37 PM
thanks sammo. you guys are great!

JKMV11
06-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks JKMV, I also failed to recognize All That Remains and As I Lay Dying in my list. I don't like Trivium much. I've heard of pandora but i don't really like it. Doesn't show up on my last.fm and i don't really like songs that I've never heard of playing when I'm doing stuff on the computer (I like my comfort zone)
you should also check out Verismo, War of Ages, Destroy the Runner, and Scar Symmetry. Verismo might be hard to find; they aren't on youtube. they are on pandora. idk where else you can find them, but if you can, they are a good band to check out.

JKMV11
06-02-2009, 06:39 PM
another band i just thought of is Evergrey. they are a Scandinavian progressive metal band. they are a little lighter than the bands mentioned, but great nonetheless.