Steely Dan

PDA

View Full Version : Steely Dan

Shadow Fang
06-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Man, who loves Steely Dan here?

"The Thinking Man's Band"

A great band with "Skunk" Baxter's masterful guitar playing with them they were AWESOME!

eberg2
06-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I just made this thread on another forum ahahaha
but yes, i've always liked them, but I forgot about them a lot
then, a few days ago I heard "my old school" on the radio and remmebered why I like them a lot, great great musicians, and guitar tones=)

Aryon
06-03-2009, 04:34 AM
Yeah, good music, ''Ricky Don't Lose'' and ''Back Jack'' are my favorites.. the second one has a kinda latin rhythm..combined with the voice..amazing.

Jesse Mrau
06-03-2009, 05:21 AM
^You mean Do It Again, which nonetheless is a fantastic song.

I've actually been a fan since quite a young age, seeing as how I grew up listening to what my parents did. So many fantastic records, and some of the most interesting rock music ever made.

From what I understand Walter Becker and Donald Fagen were absolute monsters in the studio when it came to perfection, especially during the recording of Aja. I read somewhere that they spent entire days positioning the mic on a snare drum to get a sound that was just right. Steve Gadd would come out after a full day in the studio saying things like: "What the hell? I didn't even play anything today!"

Marcos Zarevich
06-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Yes, awesome band, Do it again has one of my favourite guitar solos ever, and the whole AjŠ lp is awesome too. Recently I saw the docu the making of Aja (in those Classic albums series) and Jesse Mrau is right, true perfectionist, they tried lots guitarists just for a particular solo, things like that, Wayne shorter plays a miracle solo on the title track.

Jazz Funeral
06-09-2009, 11:56 AM
I've heard the same thing about their almost crippling perfectionism. I dig a lot of their older stuff, but I remember hearing "Your Cousin Dupree" and not being impressed at all. What can you guys tell me about their newer stuff? Is it worth checking out?