Procol Harum...Beyond "A Whiter Shade of Pale"

PDA

View Full Version : Procol Harum...Beyond "A Whiter Shade of Pale"

MrCleveland
06-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Okay, you may know Procol Harum by their hit song "A Whiter Shade of Pale" and for some who know this band by more than that...not including their other popular song "Conquistador"...this thread is for all the Procolites!

LordBaxtus
06-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Really want to learn more about this band. I've heard A Whiter Shade of Pale, and really like it, but don't know anything else. I'd like to learn some of the roots of prog, like Procol Harum and EL&P. What album would you recommend me starting with?

MrCleveland
06-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Really want to learn more about this band. I've heard A Whiter Shade of Pale, and really like it, but don't know anything else. I'd like to learn some of the roots of prog, like Procol Harum and EL&P. What album would you recommend me starting with?

I'd start with Procol Harum's debut album.

Though I mentioned "Conquistador", they have a rougher edge with the first cut and "A Christmas Camel" is another good song from that album and the instrumental "Repent Walpurgis" is on that album too.

After that...listen to Procol Harum's "Homburg" and "Wee Small Hours of Sixpence".

strawforest007
06-05-2009, 05:17 PM
'Repent Walpurgis' has always been a personal favourite, as has the apparently rare 'Seem To Have The Blues All The Time'. I much prefer the intial release of 'Conquistador' which doesn't include the orchestral backing and I'm a big fan of the Robin Trower (pre 1971?) era. Great band.

Mr Cleveland is right there, start with the debut album...

therussian
06-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Repent Walpurgis is my favourite instruemental of all time.

I'm a huge Procol Harum junky

MrCleveland
06-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Repent Walpurgis is my favourite instruemental of all time.

I'm a huge Procol Harum junky

I also made-up a name for people who like Procol Harum...Procolites.

I hope that name sticks.

strawforest007
06-06-2009, 07:04 PM
^ Not 'Harum Globetrotters' then?