heavy psychedelia band reccomendations

PDA

View Full Version : heavy psychedelia band reccomendations

wholelottabon
06-09-2009, 08:03 AM
i recently realised that i absolutely love pyschedelic music (syd barrett is god!), but one thing i dont seem to like in alot of the bands is the kinda light music and twangy guitars(yes i know this is part of psychedelia...)

so can somebody reccomend some pyschedelia that has more heavy music and kinda in your face if you know what i mean?
kinda like some of creams songs (of the top of my head NSU and tales of brave ulysses come to mind)

thanks for all reccomendations!

Martindecorum
06-09-2009, 08:12 AM
Karnivool - CHange Part II check that out
Mars Volta
Tool
Porcupine Tree

korinaflyingv
06-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Try Spiritualized. I recommend the album Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space. Lots of soft bits, but some nice heavy fuzzy bits aswell. Also try Porcupine Tree, I recently got the album The Sky Moves Sideways, which is pretty epic, and heavy in parts. Sort of like Pink Floyd meets Kraftwerk, but heavier.

Karnivool - CHange Part II check that out
Mars Volta
Tool
Porcupine Tree
and +1 to this guy

oh, and Electric Wizard. The album Dopethrone is a good place to start.

wholelottabon
06-09-2009, 08:19 AM
is this like metal heavy or kinda rock heavy? cause i was really looking for more rock heavy
but ill give em a listen, i havent actually listened to any of these bands just heard OF them

edit: just listened to porcupine tree, not exactly what i meant but it still ****ing awesome and just as good, im gonna buy some of there albums, thanks man, now im gonna check out some of the other bands

Martindecorum
06-09-2009, 08:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE7MLpHZvkw

Change by Karnivool
the droning didgeridoo is pretty cool

korinaflyingv
06-09-2009, 08:21 AM
is this like metal heavy or kinda rock heavy? cause i was really looking for more rock heavy
but ill give em a listen, i havent actually listened to any of these bands just heard OF them
Spiritualized and Porcupine Tree are rock heavy, Electric Wizard are metal heavy.

szekelymihai
06-09-2009, 08:24 AM
try david bowie :p:

wholelottabon
06-09-2009, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE7MLpHZvkw

Change by Karnivool
the droning didgeridoo is pretty cool

not really my kinda thing but thanks man, i was trying to find something to listen too by them, cause someone reccomended it.
so far none of the bands listed soundsremotely like my examples but theres still alot of cool bands ive never heard before so thanks guy!

Jack Off Jill
06-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Blue Cheer, sir.

Martindecorum
06-09-2009, 08:31 AM
not really my kinda thing but thanks man, i was trying to find something to listen too by them, cause someone reccomended it.
so far none of the bands listed soundsremotely like my examples but theres still alot of cool bands ive never heard before so thanks guy!

Give a go of King Crimson, Try the song Red

wholelottabon
06-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Blue Cheer, sir.

already love them, only problem i have is finding there music :(

and too the first guy that said spiritualized, i listened to them and damn near creamed my pants, definitely one of my fave new bands now(fave new band still the racontuers though unless one of these bands in this thread dethrone them)

wholelottabon
06-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Give a go of King Crimson, Try the song Red

prog rock.....not what iwas looking for still but......me likes:)

so far the best band i can give as an examope now is blue cheer( now that jack off jill reminded me :), and i am forever in your debt for that good sir)

Edit: sorry for the double post, and i dont know how too delete posts, thanks for all the suggestions and cya!

Skirvy
06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
you could check out some newer bands like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Mister.Y
06-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Comets On Fire
http://tinysong.com/4THW

The Black Angels
http://tinysong.com/4TI3

Highbinder
06-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Kyuss? Not 'classic rock' tho..

therussian
06-09-2009, 06:09 PM
kyuss and Electric wizard are both examples of stoner (doom) metal.

MrCleveland
06-11-2009, 07:00 PM
How about...The Soft Machine?

In the 60's, they were very psychedelic, but when the 70's came they became more into free-form jazz.

LordBaxtus
06-11-2009, 11:14 PM
Funkadelic's earlier stuff, especially the album Maggot Brain, was a mix of funk, rock, and psychedelia that at times got pretty heavy. Worth checking out.

therussian's sig reminded me of them.

Peaceful Rocker
06-12-2009, 12:50 PM
+1 to King Crimson, it's prog.. but very psychedelic, especially albums like "Larks Tounges in Aspic" and "Discipline"

The_lizard_king
06-12-2009, 01:07 PM
The Pretty Things, S.F. Sorrow is a good album by the way.