Jerry Cantrell Scales?

PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Cantrell Scales?

CGB89
06-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know what scales Jerry Cantrell uses?

Bendybaws
06-10-2009, 03:53 AM
The two songs I know use minor pentatonics I'm sure

Dam the River seems to be in Am and Nutshell (Acoustic) is in Em

CGB89
06-10-2009, 10:54 AM
I know he uses blues minor scale. Man in the Box.
I think tht he might use the same scales as Slash because their earlier work (i. e. Social Parasite) sounds like Gn'R.

CGB89
06-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Anybody?

SameOld
06-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Pentatonic Minor.

herman ri2
06-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Minor Pentatonic Scale
Minor Blues Scale
Minor Scale

CGB89
06-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Is tht it? Only 3.

blandguitar
06-15-2009, 04:32 PM
he doesnt really solo tbh, he gives little tastes of his ability but i've never heard him go all out. :sad:

Zaphod_Beeblebr
06-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Don't look for scales in the attempt to sound like someone else.

Look at and listen to their phrasing, scales won't somehow make you sound like anyone.

blandguitar
06-15-2009, 05:21 PM
no, but itd get them closer to the style of rhythms after learning the same type of scales then using it recreate the phrasing and such. just learn how to use a trem to sound all erie and such. i love that about his sound.

maninthebox24
06-15-2009, 07:08 PM
he doesnt really solo tbh, he gives little tastes of his ability but i've never heard him go all out. :sad:
Nutshell? Them Bones? Man in the Box? Rotten Apple? Brother? Just because he's not shredding or improvising for an hour doesn't mean he doesn't solo.

herman ri2
06-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Nutshell? Them Bones? Man in the Box? Rotten Apple? Brother? Just because he's not shredding or improvising for an hour doesn't mean he doesn't solo.

Where in his post did he say that you have to shred or improvise all the time to know how to solo?

blandguitar
06-15-2009, 07:17 PM
i said he doesnt really solo. he could most definitely put them in every/ almost every song like a lot of people do. but it also separates him from others, and his style is pretty unique. and i wanna see him go all out. i watched a couple minute interview on deanguitars sit and he was like true power is having it but not needing to show it off. and he always gives a tasty trill in his solos, but i wanna see him go ****ing at it. i do love his work though. his guitar work in ashes to ashes from damage plan was awesome. i love his work, i just want more.

maninthebox24
06-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Where in his post did he say that you have to shred or improvise all the time to know how to solo?
Never said he did. Those were just examples of showing off, which he doesn't really do.
i said he doesnt really solo. he could most definitely put them in every/ almost every song like a lot of people do. but it also separates him from others, and his style is pretty unique. and i wanna see him go all out. i watched a couple minute interview on deanguitars sit and he was like true power is having it but not needing to show it off. and he always gives a tasty trill in his solos, but i wanna see him go ****ing at it. i do love his work though. his guitar work in ashes to ashes from damage plan was awesome. i love his work, i just want more.
That's fair. As someone who loves Alice in Chains I like the music the way it is and had a lot of fun learning the solo in Them Bones. Maybe I would like seeing him solo a little more live, but not on an album.

And to TS, take the advice about not looking for scales. Knowing that he uses the pentatonic won't help you create the dark moods of his songs, but understanding his phrasing will.

CGB89
06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Without scales, I find it hard to figure out certain phrasings. I tried to learn Slash-esque phrasing, couldn't do it without scales, so i gave up on that. But i really wanna learn the scales he uses as it will help me on my way to learning his phrasing and technique. I know that bends were a major part of his style and I know he uses minor keys for a more heavy, pounding sound, and he couples that with heavy riffs in some songs and slower riffs in others, I'm not a super-talented guitarist either, but, my guitarist friend (who is awesome at guitar) wants to know as well as me. My friend doesn't know scale, but he is awesome at the phrasing and technique. I want the scales cuz I'm taking lessons soon and I want to learn them.

blandguitar
06-15-2009, 09:03 PM
well, get the tabs for man in the box off of here. then see how he transistions from low to high pitch chord shapes. also, learn would, i gave up because i cant do that chord changing crap that he does. learn his riffing style before his solos.

also, if you want to hear a good aic live album get the live in texas, queen of the rodeo is the 2nd song, he throws and extra little something in in the verses on the live version of man in the box

ramm_ty
06-15-2009, 09:09 PM
He uses the same scales as everyone else dude. Transcribe some of his licks. You don't need to know what scale he uses to get an idea of his phrasing. Listen to his music and steal some of his licks.

Zaphod_Beeblebr
06-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Oh and for reference: you should all check out his solo stuff, there's some really good work there and some good solos as well.

blandguitar
06-16-2009, 06:43 PM
i completely agree, his solo work is petty damn special

Bendybaws
06-17-2009, 05:03 AM
degradation trip is an unbelievably good album

go Jerry!

blandguitar
06-17-2009, 06:51 AM
this thread went from i want to play like jerry cantrell to i :heart: jerry and his guitar playing. :p: