Which band has done biggest work to make rock popular?

PDA

View Full Version : Which band has done biggest work to make rock popular?

d-show
06-10-2009, 03:31 AM
How do you think?

leony03
06-10-2009, 03:44 AM
metallica, iron maiden, black sabbath etc

b-rock34
06-10-2009, 03:55 AM
What an interesting way to phrase that question. I'd say elaborate. Otherwise, it's the standard monsters of rock: Beatles, Led Zep, Stones, Who, Floyd

cornmancer
06-10-2009, 10:02 AM
Elvis, I'm not a huge fan but he made it immensely popular. Though I still stand by the theory that the only reason he's popular is because he was one of the first white guys to play that music along with Bill Hayley.

master
06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Beatles and Stones. They were the ones who got the white kids in America to listen to black music.

imgooley
06-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Beatles and Stones. They were the ones who got the white kids in America to listen to black music.
This+Elvis, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton.

cornmancer
06-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Gooley this is the first time I've seen you out of the Blues and Jazz forums.

MRavioli
06-10-2009, 01:56 PM
When has rock not been popular?

Ylasto
06-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Biggest work?

Rock was popular in the 50's and 60's already.

So, I think the Stones might have helped out.

Metallica made Trash Metal popular, that might count.

Peaceful Rocker
06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Elvis Presley

crimsonblood12
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Elvis, Buddy Holley, Chuck Berry.

StarChildSammy
06-10-2009, 03:47 PM
The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, KISS, Elvis Presley

Skirvy
06-10-2009, 04:57 PM
This is a bit of a pointless thread/cliche question, but i suppose it all routes back to The Beatles. Although, i'm not sure that 'making rock popular' is what bands really aim to do?

A Rolling Stone
06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
^^Beatles? Nah, it all routes back to before then. In the beginnings of the Beatles they were covering "Roll Over Beethoven" and things like that during concerts exclusively.
I'm gonna have to go with Bill Haley and the Comets, Elvis (My Guilty Pleasure), Chuck Berry, Conway Twitty's early Rockabilly stuff and really Rockabilly bands in general mid/late 50s to the early 60s.

Skirvy
06-11-2009, 05:08 AM
^^Beatles? Nah, it all routes back to before then. In the beginnings of the Beatles they were covering "Roll Over Beethoven" and things like that during concerts exclusively.
I'm gonna have to go with Bill Haley and the Comets, Elvis (My Guilty Pleasure), Chuck Berry, Conway Twitty's early Rockabilly stuff and really Rockabilly bands in general mid/late 50s to the early 60s.

i knew someone would call me out here :p: but i'm talking about real rock music here, not rock n' roll and all that 50's stuff. To me, rock n' roll and rock are 2 completely different things (although one did have a profound influence on the other, considering Elvis was Lennon's idol)

2loserzhaha
06-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Who and Led Zeppelin started Sort of harder rock. Pistols Started Punk. Beatles also good. Blues like B.B. King and Buddy Holly started Later Blues which made rock. Elvis Presley started rock.

2loserzhaha
06-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Whoops forgot Jimi Hendrix

cornmancer
06-11-2009, 10:41 AM
i knew someone would call me out here :p: but i'm talking about real rock music here, not rock n' roll and all that 50's stuff. To me, rock n' roll and rock are 2 completely different things (although one did have a profound influence on the other, considering Elvis was Lennon's idol)
No offense but I will call you out on that to.
"If you were to give Rock n' Roll another name you might call it Chuck Berry."
-John Lennon
also a little quote from Keef that I thought might apply well
"Everyone's talking about Rock but forgetting the Roll."
-Keith Richards

crimsonblood12
06-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Pistols Started Punk
No. No they did not.

Blues like B.B. King and Buddy Holly started Later Blues which made rock. Elvis Presley started rock.

No. Buddy Holly was not blues. Not in any sense of the word. Elvis did not start rock. He sang the same things Chuck Berry, and a few other people had been singing. He didn't start it. He broke rock 'n' roll, maybe. There's no downplaying his influence. But he didn't start it.

Peaceful Rocker
06-11-2009, 11:27 AM
the question wasen't who started rock and roll, it was who did the most to make it popular.. the answer to that is Elvis

Skirvy
06-11-2009, 11:57 AM
No offense but I will call you out on that to.
"If you were to give Rock n' Roll another name you might call it Chuck Berry."
-John Lennon
also a little quote from Keef that I thought might apply well
"Everyone's talking about Rock but forgetting the Roll."
-Keith Richards

what? your quotes don't change anything i said?

imgooley
06-11-2009, 12:06 PM
What makes this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xuMwfUqJJM

any more 'real rock' than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpn_7OMV0c

Skirvy
06-11-2009, 12:10 PM
What makes this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xuMwfUqJJM

any more 'real rock' than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rpn_7OMV0c
I think you've misunderstood what i meant, 'real' was the wrong word to use. I was justs aying that i view rock e.g The Beatles and afterwards as a different thing from 'rock n' roll' eg Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Elvis. Although rock n' roll did directly influence 'rock', and The Beatles were a 'rock n' roll' band in their early years.

imgooley
06-11-2009, 12:18 PM
I think you've misunderstood what i meant, 'real' was the wrong word to use. I was justs aying that i view rock e.g The Beatles and afterwards as a different thing from 'rock n' roll' eg Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Elvis. Although rock n' roll did directly influence 'rock', and The Beatles were a 'rock n' roll' band in their early years.
I don't understand your meaning, to be honest. It's kinda like the metalheads saying that metalcore, crossover thrash, thrashcore, thrash metal, and modern hardcore are all completely different things. :shrug:

The Beatles, the Stones, Van Morrison, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, etc. all played music in the same vein as their blues predecessors. Same with Chuck Berry, Elvis, Little Richard, etc. Rock and Rock and Roll are the same thing.

Skirvy
06-11-2009, 12:20 PM
^ I dunno, i guess i just like to seperate them cause i don't really like Buddy Holly etc, hell i don't even like The Beatles pre-Help bar a couple of songs.

RHCP94
06-11-2009, 02:26 PM
The Beatles and Chuck Berry.

Peaceful Rocker
06-11-2009, 05:22 PM
^ I dunno, i guess i just like to seperate them cause i don't really like Buddy Holly etc, hell i don't even like The Beatles pre-Help bar a couple of songs.
You can dislike them all you want, but they're the reason rock shot into the mainstream.

they aren't different genres either, just a lesser evolved form of rock and roll.

Shadow Fang
06-12-2009, 06:54 PM
to me it would seem that Chuck Berry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Bd5-APPBw) , Bo Diddley (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HICsPNm2ARY) , The Beatles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6G7MkBMVxE) and Elvis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzV_0l5ILI) made rock & roll Chuck Berry and Bo Diddley were the pioneers really i mean look at all the white kids that went to see em.

TDMize15
06-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Who made it "popular"?

-Elvis
-Chuck Berry
-Buddy Holly

Who made it the biggest/ most popular form of music.

-The Beatles
-The Rolling Stones

Devilstrings
06-16-2009, 03:29 AM
I would agree with TDMize15, elvis, buddy holly, chuck berry all made rock big, but the likes of the beatles , jimmy hendrix , the rolling stones and all the rest just emphasised what rock was all about.

cornmancer
06-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Chuck Berry was very popular, but in no way did he make the genre popular. People were racist so when they saw Elvis they made him popular because he was a white guy making black music, the music they were afraid to admit they liked.

cornmancer
06-16-2009, 09:00 AM
what? your quotes don't change anything i said?
Chuck was John's idol and Keith was talking about how people were trying to classify everything differently, but it's all just rock and roll.

Jesse Mrau
06-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Who made it "popular"?

-Elvis
-Chuck Berry
-Buddy Holly

Who made it the biggest/ most popular form of music.

-The Beatles
-The Rolling Stones

This, except you're missing Little Richard in the first category and Bob Dylan in the second.

Matt-92
06-18-2009, 09:41 AM
I think you have to mention The Who in here somewhere, maybe not for bringing rock into the mainstream as The Beatles and Stones did (although most teenagers were into rock 'n' roll before hand), but for bringing danger and excitement into the live show, something that people like Hendrix, with his Monterrey guitar burning, and pretty much every later rock band ever have tried to do. The Who deffinately for being the first rock band to make the live show really popular.

MrCleveland
06-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Bob Dylan

Not only he's a songwriter, but a poet as well! He was around during the beatnik era and he's also part of the American Songbook Elite!

Jazz Funeral
06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
I have to make this point here. One of the huge things that The Beatles and The Stones did for Rock N' Roll was that they made it okay for popular songs to be about something other than love. We all like little love songs, for sure. But could we get by without "Taxman", or "Sympathy For the Devil". They helped make it acceptable for things like, "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys", "War Pigs", "Immigrant Song", or even "Teach Your Children" to be accessible on the radio. There actually was a time when the radio was worth listening to.

My examples may not be the best, but I think you know what I mean.

cornmancer
06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
I have to make this point here. One of the huge things that The Beatles and The Stones did for Rock N' Roll was that they made it okay for popular songs to be about something other than love. We all like little love songs, for sure. But could we get by without "Taxman", or "Sympathy For the Devil". They helped make it acceptable for things like, "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys", "War Pigs", "Immigrant Song", or even "Teach Your Children" to be accessible on the radio. There actually was a time when the radio was worth listening to.

My examples may not be the best, but I think you know what I mean.
Acceptable for rockers yes, but those were the songs that got us spat on by religious nuts. Also to the guy who said The Who, I hadn't thought about that they were the first band that were more focused on live. And anybody who says Bob Dylan is wrong. He's incredible and I love him, but we are talking about rock not folk music.

genghisgandhi
06-23-2009, 02:33 PM
elvis is country. charles Berry invented rock

cornmancer
06-23-2009, 02:37 PM
Elvis wasn't country, he had a few country songs but he was not country. Saying Elvis is country is like saying The Stones are country. And while the Chuck Berry comment was completley accurate, I don't think there was much disputing that besides people saying it was Bo Diddley.

master
06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
elvis is country. charles Berry invented rock

Actually the phrase "rock n' roll" was first used to describe the music of Louis Jordan by DJ Alan Freed. :cool: And Elvis is the king, you gotta be blind not to see that.

aig91
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
Rolling Stones? They're one of the most popular and influential rock bands. They've toured and released albums well into their 60s.

a55a551n1191
07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
I don't know about everyone else, but for me and people in my school it was Metallica, Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers and U2