The Faces

PDA

View Full Version : The Faces

cornmancer
06-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Never hear much of The Faces around here. For those who don't know who they were it was Rod Stewart, Ronnie Wood, Ian McLagan, Ronnie Lane, and Kenny Jones so it was a super group that happened before all these people got famous. I've never heard much of them but I've watched a few videos on Youtube and I really love those. So who here has heard anything besides Stay With Me?

Skirvy
06-11-2009, 12:01 PM
There is a faces thread already.

but yeah i love them.

cornmancer
06-11-2009, 12:14 PM
^that's the second time I've done that. My searchbar skills suck. :sad:

Skirvy
06-11-2009, 12:15 PM
well, i think it's a bit of a mash thread between The Faces & The Small Faces, and it's prodominently Small Faces, so I see no harm in having this thread unless BrainDamage has anything against it.

cornmancer
06-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Well I'll hope he doesn't then because I've never listened to The Small Faces.

Skirvy
06-11-2009, 12:25 PM
The Small Faces is the pre-ceeding band to The Faces. When Steve Marriot left The Small Faces to join Humble Pie with Frampton, Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart joined The Faces from The Jeff Beck group, but seeing as Rod and Ron were both quite tall they dropped the Small part of the name, which had been their because the others were quite small. I'm sure the drummer went on to join The Who after Moony died.

cornmancer
06-11-2009, 05:38 PM
^I know that it's just that I've never bothered to pick up a Small Faces cd or watch them on youtube.

master
06-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Ronnie was so damn creative with that band. It seems he got lazy once he joined the Stones. My favorite faces song at the moment has to be "That's all you need." awesome groove. And of course Ooh la la is one of the greatest songs ever!

cornmancer
06-11-2009, 05:41 PM
He might have gone to that just because Mick and Keith can be control freaks, I love them but they are control freaks of the highest order. Luckily he started putting out solo records.

Lucas Townshend
06-11-2009, 07:45 PM
I've heard their 3rd record I think...A Nod Is As Good As A Wink.Spent like 1 month looking for it,but damn was it worth the time.Awesome songs and very nice band

Jazz Funeral
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I've had a little trouble finding their studio albums too. Compilations really aren't my thing, but I picked up Five Guys Walk Into a Bar..., it's great. There's four discs of material, and liner notes by Ian McLagan, I think he's responsible for the sequencing too. I paid like thirty bucks for it, and it isn't too tough to find. "Bad 'N' Ruin" and "Debris" are some real favorites of mine. Did you guys know they had a bartender onstage for their concerts?

cornmancer
06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Yeah I read that in Ronnie's autobiography. I can't find any of their stuff near here, of course the music section at borders have been reorganinzing for 3 weeks so I have to go to other places with not as good music sections. So I'll just stick to watching stuff on youtube.

master
06-12-2009, 08:34 PM
He might have gone to that just because Mick and Keith can be control freaks, I love them but they are control freaks of the highest order. Luckily he started putting out solo records.

yeah his solo albums are great; my favorite of all the Stones solo stuff. The production is a bit iffy though.

cornmancer
06-13-2009, 04:14 PM
I've only heard his solo stuff live on youtube so I wouldn't know about production, but the songs are great. I still prefer Keef's solo stuff but I'm a tad biased Keith being one of my all time favorite guitarists.