Chain 2 combo amps together?

PDA

View Full Version : Chain 2 combo amps together?

jwperreaul
06-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Quick question for ya. Bought a 30 watt 112 tube amp a few months ago that sounds killer. Its the Crate V3112 ( I know Crate usually sucks ass but these are sweet, read a few reviews). Anyway, been wondering recently what it would do to my sound if I chained 2 of them together. In general I've read about chaining 2 different cabs from one head or 2 different combos together. It seems obvious this would give you a fuller sound because of the differences tonally in the 2 amps. I'm referring to running them both at the same time by the way, not A/B ing them (using them one at a time). So I'm wondering what would happen if you linked 2 of the same combos together and maybe set the EQs or gains different (so they both had their individual sound) and then chained them together, using both at the same time of course. Would it really sound that much better/fuller? Any ideas? The reason I'm asking is I just found another V3112 I could get for about $200 Which is a super deal for an already underpriced amp. And they don't make them any more (I'm pretty sure). Let me know if you think it would be worth the hassle. Seriously you have to try one of these out. For the price its ridiculous. Thanks in advance.

Joe

lefthandman9876
06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
get a stereo chorus and jizz yourself in sonic awsomness.

chr15t0ph3r
06-11-2009, 03:46 PM
just try it

jwperreaul
06-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Kinda wanted to avoid buying it just to find out its not that great and then have to sell it. Ya know? That may be my only option but I figured someone on here has had to try this! You guys have tried seemingly everything...

gregs1020
06-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Couple ways to do this really. An a/b/y pedal is one way. IP got a "tripler" which is another way. You could use a stereo chorus pedal that has two output jacks is another. I don't think you can daisy chain them because you only have one input on the crate right? Nice amp too btw, did you get a old blonde one?

Edit: I've done this and I needed kleenex shortly after. Into the fender, out of the fender's second input, and into the crate. :cool:
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x164/gregs1020/000_0190.jpg

If you're going to do it, I would suggest a different second amp than you have to add some more versatility to your rig.

MicahHaseman
06-11-2009, 05:57 PM
That would sound tight

jwperreaul
06-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Thx Gregs1020. Really appreciate your input. Yeah I agree a second different amp would be more versatile. I may end up doing that, just figured I'd ask about using 2 of the same, being I found a great deal on another V3112. No its not the blonde, its the black one. It really sounds too good to be true for the $300 I paid for it. Better amps? Of course. But for $300? Good luck. Anyone elses input would be greatly appreciated!
Anyone else think 2 of the same combos "chained" together would be worth the time and effort over say 1 combo with a great chorus pedal? Would it really sound that good? I know I know, just try it. But I don't have a second V3112 so I'm asking your opinion first then I may just buy a second and see for myself.

jwperreaul
06-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Also, anyone know of any big artists that use this kind of setup (2 amps chained and running together), and what they use?

Dr.Pain-MD
06-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Also, anyone know of any big artists that use this kind of setup (2 amps chained and running together), and what they use?
Plenty of people do so. One of my favourites is Colour Haze's Stefan Koglek who runs Sunn Model Ts with a Soldano SLO. Sounds amazing.

ASP499
06-11-2009, 07:40 PM
well, Joe Bonamossa has 2 amps running constantly together (a jubilee all the time, and off and on category 5 plexi, two rock CRS, caroll ann, budda superdrive, van weelden) However, all of these amps are several thousand dollars. Many artists use stereo setups, the amps are really up to personal preferance.

jwperreaul
06-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Guess I should have also noted the kind of music I do. Anything from SRV and John Mayer to U2 some classic Zep. Love some Rage but don't expect that out of these amps.

gregs1020
06-11-2009, 07:44 PM
hendrix used to chain stacks together way back when. im sure plenty of others have too. i rarely advise against buying amps, lol. stereo chorus those bad boys like the guy further up said. :cheers:

jwperreaul
06-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Truly appreciate all the input so far. My first time posting on this forum but probably my 100th on here looking for advice. How else would I get such a wide array of opinions?