Squier CV 50's Tele or MIM Standard?

PDA

View Full Version : Squier CV 50's Tele or MIM Standard?

Natrone
06-14-2009, 08:50 PM
So, it seems as though I'm going to be getting a new guitar of my choice once the ACT scores are in. I've already decided on a Tele, but I'm trying to decide which way to go as far as quality is concerned. I love the idea of having a pine Tele, but due to previous experience with Squier (well...it is just the Affinity series) I have to call quality of parts into question. In other words, will it cost me more in the long run to make the Squier good quality as far as hardware is concerned that it would to go with the MIM Standard?

DeltaFunk
06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
IMO MIM Standard

Thomme
06-14-2009, 09:14 PM
Well... if you want a pine-caster, the Squire CV is the Tele of choice. The pickups and body are actually better than that of the MIM Fender, but the fret work, nut and general build quality are not. If you can get your hands on the actual CV and MIM tele that you'll buy, definitely decide based on that, but... honestly, for a Pine-caster, the CV is it.

Natrone
06-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks. That's the kind of info I was looking for.

Personally, I know the nut is easy to replace, and if the fretwork is bad then that can be remedied as well. I've got a lot of time over the summer, so if there are build quality issues that can be fixed with general TLC, then that can be taken care of as well.

MrFlibble
06-14-2009, 09:21 PM
The CV is definitely better if you can shop around to make sure you get one that's been assembled well. Pine Teles are to die for, and though I wouldn't agree that the CV series have better parts than the MIM Fenders, I would say they are definitely equal.

The key is though that Mexican made instruments simply have more consistent assembly quality than Korean, Indonesian and Chinese made instruments. So the CV isn't too great if your local shops don't have a bunch of them to try out, while with the MIM Fender you could blindly order that online and you'd still have a good idea what you were getting and you'd probably end up with a decent enough guitar.

As far as upgrading cheaper guitar vs stock slightly more expensive guitar, I think it's a non-issue; neither need upgrading. If anything, it's the MIM's pickups that will need changing, but that'll be it. I know several people who use stock Squier CV Teles for frequent gigs.

Natrone
06-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Alright, sounds good to me. Tomorrow will be a GC trip to get some play time in, and maybe there's some local shops that carry Fender products. The music scene is pretty limited where I live though, so I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't.

Thomme
06-14-2009, 09:29 PM
My VM tele had great fret work on it, the one on display did not. Play every one possible. The squier fretwork can be FANTASTIC, but it's not consistent and some models are just terrible. The Fender MIM stuff generally has better fretwork and build quality, but in some cases does not. Give the guitars a try to figure that out. I do prefer the squier Vm and CV pickups over the Fender pickups, but that doesn't put them in the same category as true Duncan and Fender vintage pickups, while I've generally found (on average) that MIM Fender stuff has better build quality and fretwork that's more worth putting better pickups in than squires.

Natrone
06-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Hmm...definately something to keep in mind. Although, barring some somewhat rough edges, one dead fret, and a little bur on the non fretting side of a high fret on the low E, even my Affinity isn't that bad as far as fretwork goes.

Thankfully there are 3 other stores besides GC that sell Fender/Squier, so I won't be feeding the corporate pig! :D