Live or Studio

PDA

View Full Version : Live or Studio

outlaw metaler
06-16-2009, 01:37 PM
First Poll question
which do you prefer live recordings of studio albums
I go for live alot of the time because it tends to have a rawer more organic feel to it where as sometimes studio stuff sounds alittle to put together especially when were talking about metal

Second what is one of your favorite live CD/DVD's
Any Iron Maiden Live preformance
their all sick especially the new flight 666 one with three guitarists is incredible you just can't capture the energy they have live in the studio
Lamb of gods killedlphia comes a close second

and third personal recomendations should which should i get
Thursday Kill the house lights(live) vs. War all the time
and
BTBAM colors live vs. Colors studio

soundgarden19
06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Depends on the band, like Phish it would pretty much have to be live, but if I'm listening to My Bloody Valentine I'd rather listen to the studio version because I don't think he can make all those cool sounds live.

Some of my favorite live performances are: Phish A Live One, Phish: Vegas '96 and Pearl Jam Bonnaroo 08.

PedroLesPaulVM
06-16-2009, 01:43 PM
I love hearing good live CD's of bands.

Some of my faves:

How the West Was Won - Led Zeppelin
Live at Leeds - The Who
Live Dead - Grateful Dead
Band of Gypsys - Hendrix
Cheap Thrills - Big Brother and the Holding Company
Live Alive - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Get Yer Ya Yas Out - The Rolling Stones

EDIT: How could I leave out "At Filmore East" by the Allman Brothers? Bad Pete.

Shpongled
06-16-2009, 02:12 PM
Depends on the artist, but I listen to a lot of band who improvise heavily where the live show is the better selling point. Overall I download and listen to more live shows than studio albums.

Iron Disturbia
06-16-2009, 05:47 PM
It kind of depends for me. Honestly, a lot of Live music is really bad. Not the bands themselves, but the crowds. You can't really hear the music. It has to be a really respectable band where no one really talks and then I don't mind live music. But when I can't hear anything, then I care.

weezergeek182
06-16-2009, 07:53 PM
studio recordings.

tp600
06-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Depends on one aspect - whether the band make their songs different/interesting enough live. Hendrix was a classic example of never playing the same song twice, and so its worth revisiting his live albums to hear new things. Most modern bands tend to replicate their studio performance live which is admirable to the extent that they can replicate something which was created in an expensive studio, but dissapointing in that diversity and improvisation in live performance seems to be a dying art.

aig91
06-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Depends on the band/artist.

Some bands did their best work in the studio and that cannot be surpassed. But there are others that really shine during their live performances. I'd say that mostly I'd prefer live. But there are a few bands whose studio albums outshine their live albums.

Beserker
06-19-2009, 10:57 PM
I'd have said studio until I heard the music of Frank Zappa. Don't know how he did it, but the live records always have amazing sound production - as good as the studio albums. Live albums from others bands always seem to have a poorer sound quality plus audience noise and so forth, which I can't stand.

LedDaveZeppelin
06-20-2009, 03:16 AM
I would almost prefer live... It's pretty close... Sometimes I just can't stand all the screaming and clapping in live recordings.

pak1351
06-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Whether I like live recordings depends on the band and the recording as well. I have some live albums, and some live recordings made by fans. Albums are usually good quality, fan recordings vary (sometimes albums do too, but not as much).

Joe bonamassa- live from nowhere in particular - cd
joe bonamassa - live at rockpalaast dvd
the eagles - final farewell tour (or something like that, recorded in australia before they reunited again)
govt mule - live with a little help from our friends
allman bros - live at the beacon
allman bros - the final fillmore east concert (from eat a peach cd)
ben harper - live from mars
cream - royal albert hall
warren haynes - live at bonnaroo

Those are my favorites

outlaw metaler
06-20-2009, 01:43 PM
i actually just listened to colors live
holy ****
half the songs were better live

tom1thomas1
06-21-2009, 08:10 AM
every second post says 'depends.' I don't think you can prefer one or the other, you just choose which one sounds better, and being live or studio doesn't seem to be the thing taht decides if it's better or not.

Bands I prefer live:

AC/DC - everything is the same coz they're so good, except the vocals and jams/rave-ups
The Who
Iron Maiden
Eric Clapton
Jimi Hendrix (about 50/50 maybe)
Slipknot

Bands I prefer in the studio:

Led Zeppelin

that's not meant to be making a point, but I can't actually think of any others that aren't as good live as in the studio, excluding crap bands like Fall Out Boy that suck in the studio but live they suck AND they screw up on easy songs

The rest depend on a specific performance, and its just coincidence if the performance is live or in the studio.

Hendrix did that thing on Voodoo Chile where it may as well be live coz he invited every person he knew pretty much into the studio to make noise :) just felt like adding that

Mean Mr Mustard
06-21-2009, 12:47 PM
and third personal recomendations should which should i get
Thursday Kill the house lights(live) vs. War all the time
and
BTBAM colors live vs. Colors studio
Get Colors_LIVE, its amazing, plus the second setlist on the DVD is the amazing thing ever. Its just amazing.

rypher21
06-22-2009, 04:00 AM
for just listening purposes only, i prefer studio versions...but if im gonna watch it in a video..i much like the live version...:D

weezergeek182
06-22-2009, 01:09 PM
I think on studio versions the instruments have more balance.

Krustbox
06-22-2009, 07:56 PM
Most old 80's rock bands like scorpions, van halen, ac dc are much better live than studio. However newer bands tend to blow ass live. I love dragonforce to death, and although they are getting better, they still need to work on their live play.