Replace vintage trem with tuneomatic?

PDA

View Full Version : Replace vintage trem with tuneomatic?

fiztech
06-17-2009, 04:04 AM
I got a cheapy RG Yamaha copy (rg112 i think), that i want to

a) increase tuning stability

b) get rid of horid vintage trem

Basically the current saddle nuts (the monkey nut things) are raised and when i palm mute they tend to scratch the heck out of my hand.

I want something relatively cheap as this isnt an investment.

Would you go a tuneomatic or a wrap around or a strat style fixed bridge?

I presume with the wrap around I drill holes a bit thinner than the poles and simply tap them in?

guitarcam123
06-17-2009, 04:37 AM
the strat hardtail would be easiest to put on
although toms and wraparounds look better.

You do notice that by switching out a trem for a hardtail involves blocking all of the cavities and a refinish.

This is not really a quick job either, I've been working on the same thing for about 8 weeks (weekends only) and I am up to spraying primer.

the easiest solution is to actually just buy new saddles for the bridge...

fiztech
06-17-2009, 07:54 AM
well with the wrap around i dont have to worry about the string through. lol its a big string through at the moment hahaha. yeah i think i forget it and ditch this POS, it was just a cheapy to make do while i was moving around a lot.

Tackleberry
06-17-2009, 07:54 AM
Yea fitting the blocks of wood into the body to fill the cavities isnt a 5 minute thing for sure. There are better vintage style trems out there. And is it the saddles scratching your hand or the little adjustment screws? Many times they use way to long allen screws you just need to grind em down so they are flush with the saddles when things are adjusted.

Rebelw/outaCord
06-17-2009, 01:49 PM
You could try a very small shim underneath the ass end of the neck pocket. Like, one or two pieces of the cardboard from a set of strings or a cigarette pack. That will lower the action down the fretboard but raise it at the saddle, so you can re-adjust the saddles way up-- hand scratching problem fixed.
It COULD hurt your sustain a little but this guitar doesn't sound like any masterpiece to begin with, so don't worry about it.

Now, to fix the bridge, you can fit a block of wood behind the tremolo block to keep it from moving at all. This will improve the tuning stability greatly. You might also want new saddles.

Total budget-
piece of cardboard= free
scrap of wood = free
saddles = $30-50 at allparts

And your guitar will shred.

nuthinbuttrubl8
06-17-2009, 02:51 PM
a trem and hard til are lower profile than a TOM. if you do a TOM you'll either have to rout an angle in your neck pocket, shim the f*k out of the neck or recess the bridge into the body. First thing you'll have to do is block all of the cavities then strip the guitar and refinish it. It's a pain in the a$$ and you're better off making a whole new body if you're going to go through all of the bullsh!t involved.

just get a tremol-no from allparts.

fiztech
06-17-2009, 10:11 PM
if i put one of the fixed bridged "strat" style on it. there will be a big hole, which doesnt worry me, but how would the strings stop as its not a wrap around? ie a string through the strings are "stopped" in the body (string through chambers)

hope that question makes sense.

i was going to just block the bridge/trem, but the monkey wrench screws for the saddles are killing my hand. it looks like a shark attack lol.

cedricsmods
06-17-2009, 10:27 PM
You cannot mount a fixed strat style bridge on there because the place where you would screw it in (on a hardtail guitar) is a cavity routed for the tremolo on your guitar! Can't screw into air!
Block the trem, or get a new guitar.

deftonesordie
06-17-2009, 11:39 PM
^ fill it.

Rebelw/outaCord
06-18-2009, 12:15 AM
if i put one of the fixed bridged "strat" style on it. there will be a big hole, which doesnt worry me, but how would the strings stop as its not a wrap around? ie a string through the strings are "stopped" in the body (string through chambers)

hope that question makes sense.

i was going to just block the bridge/trem, but the monkey wrench screws for the saddles are killing my hand. it looks like a shark attack lol.

There are holes in the back of the bridge. But it doesn't matter, you won't be able to use it anyway.

I just told you how to deal with the saddles. Do what I said earlier and you won't have a problem any more.

...And they adjust with an Allen wrench, not a monkey wrench. This might be causing some difficulty as well.

POWERMETAL!
06-18-2009, 02:53 AM
for the love of GOD, take your guitar to a tech and spend the 50 bucks to have it set up. then all your problems will be solved.

fiztech
06-18-2009, 05:36 AM
for the love of GOD, take your guitar to a tech and spend the 50 bucks to have it set up. then all your problems will be solved.

for love of god put some effort into your posts man lol. $50 to get a new bridge installed. yeah right. this is the customising thread, where people dont mind learning and possibly taking some risks.

im not going to spend $150 customising an $80 guitar.

i just had a brain fart re the fixed bridge, i was assuming it was wider than a trem bridge.