Official Vocal/Singing Tips Thread

PDA

View Full Version : Official Vocal/Singing Tips Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

ReportAsPhuck
07-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Well, here you go. A thread for discussing anything and everything to do with vocals. If you have any suggestions or any questions on anything voice-related, post them here. This will not only clear up the forums of other vocal threads (not that there are many), but it will also (hopefully) please the people who want a seperate vocal forum.

Anyways, I'll start off by asking a question:
I've read numerous times in other posts on this site that milk (and other dairy products) is not good for your voice since it produces more phlegm, so I was wondering if there were any certain drinks that might help your voice.

:cheers:

Sir Psycho Sexy
07-04-2004, 04:45 PM
How do you get your voice louder without a mic. I can sing but when i try to sing quite loud it sounds like shouting.

Butterknife
07-04-2004, 04:46 PM
lukewarm water helps to clear your throat, cold water is bad. Most carbonated beverages are not good for your voice.

Sir Psycho Sexy
07-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Cheers ill try it before i gig

TheAxeAbuser
07-04-2004, 05:02 PM
i have heard that luke warm water and luke warm lemon/water is good.

FlyingFuc!<
07-04-2004, 05:03 PM
When i scream too hard or too long, I end up vomitting. How can I avoid this?

ReportAsPhuck
07-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by FlyingFuc!<

I would guess that it's just something you have to practice, but I'm not positive, because I rarely scream...

jof1029
07-04-2004, 11:45 PM
ive heard that honey is good for your throat when singing, and you should definatly avoid milk.

when trying to sing while playing, the best way is to get one part down by itself so well that you dont have to think about it, usually the guitar (or other instument). then get a good grip on the other, usually vocals. then practice. if you only have to think a little about the vocals and not at all about the guitar you will be better off then trying to think about both. hope that helps someone.

Slurgi
07-05-2004, 12:13 AM
I think milk is bad because it makes your throat produce less phlegm, which is bad. I'm not entirely sure on that, but i am fairly sure that milk is bad, like you said.

Daveo
07-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Can we research things before posting them? Not trying to be a bitch, but it's a little iffy just guessing things.
Just search around google or somethin if you're unsure of anything you're gonna say.

PiNGPoNG-DT
07-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Any tips on growling so that it has more of a saliva-ish sound?

Allow me to clarify:
By saliva-ish, I mean it's coming from the diaphram and all that, but there's also an added sound characteristic of having a bit of saliva in the vocal cords(?), which makes the growl have more of a "full" tone to it.

I don't know if I have explained it very well...
Anyway, sometimes I can achieve this sound, and sometimes it just sounds very dry. For the times where it does work, I have no idea how it works. I've tried drinking water to try to give the same effect as the saliva, but sometimes it runs right through the throat while other times a bit of fluid sticks around.

n_punx
07-07-2004, 12:25 AM
anyone knows any good free sites with lessons in it for vocals?

kurdtlennon
07-07-2004, 01:08 AM
alright... well the first post... first question how to get your voice louder is pretty easy... but hard to do... the trick iis in the breathing, everyones heard breathing or singing from the diaphram, but that just sounds stupid. the diaphram is actually a muscle attatched to the bottom of your lungs and when you "breath from it" all your really doing is making it pull towards the ground, which pulls your lungs and fills them with more air that just a regular breath. to breath like this though takes a little practice but after that its really easy, its just like coughing... to get the same effect and see how big of a breath it should actually be try breathing all of your air out (empty lungs) and holding it there for as long as you can... then breath in, thats what it should feel like. to do that try breathing without having your chest move at all, your upper and middle stomach should push out. that is breathing from your diaphram. then to make it even louder without screaming, put it a little more nasal than you normally would... theres all the trics to projection ive learned... hope it helps.
rock on

fingrpickngood
07-07-2004, 03:27 PM
what about any tips to increase your range. i am new to singing and sometimes i still have breath but run out of pitch, and can sing any higher without going falsetto.

PiNGPoNG-DT
07-07-2004, 08:27 PM
^I think it's a bit harder than normal practice.

Most singers will be confined to a specific range at some point. That's how there are classes of voices: Bass, Baritone, Tenor, Alto, Soprano.

They wouldn't have needed castrati if guys could just practice their way to sounding as high as girls.

funeralforluke
07-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Answering n_punx question, here is a really good vocals tips site, has loads of really good stuff www.vocalist.org.uk, hope that helps.

The thing is, ive been practicing vocals for a while now, all kinds of different styles, ive only recently recorded myself singin, it sounds ok but theres two problems, 1.my voice is not powerful enough and 2. it sounds completely different to me when i listen to it playback. Can any good singer give me any tips for startin out vocals and making my voice sound more powerful.

§ound_of_§hade
07-09-2004, 03:24 AM
You guys do know that drinking liquids has really a sparse effect on the singing voice.

I know drinking something like liquid nitrogen, or molten steel could mess up your voice just a pinch, but your vocal chords are in your larynx, and all liquids go down the pharynx, which is a diiferent cavity.

Also, you'll only be able to change the amount of phlegm in your larynx by giving yourelf histamines, and try to get a anaphylactic response, but once the vocal chords have adducted, the force of the air usually blows most of the phlegm out of the way, and only large amounts of phlegm in your larynx will change your voice, and having that much snot in your wind pipe aint exactly enjoyable.

I do know that drinking booze paralyses some of the muscles in the pharynx around the larynx, giving the body a higher threshold for vocal hypertension (makes you scream better)

I saw it all on a movie in choir once, I've taken it with a grain of salt, but it seems pretty medically sound.

cant_think_of_1
07-09-2004, 02:59 PM
im not in a band or ne thing but when i play song with my friends they always want me to sing the song im playing but i always get nervous and i always have to clear my throat to sing sorta high notes but i always sing normally around my dad when im playin songs....what do u people do when this happens to u?
i dont drink pepsi or cold water or lemonaid or those type of drinks cuz it makes me always have to clear my throat...i suggest just not drinkin ne thing cold or ne thing with sugar...drink warm water

Pyr0
07-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by §ound_of_§hade
You guys do know that drinking liquids has really a sparse effect on the singing voice.

I know drinking something like liquid nitrogen, or molten steel could mess up your voice just a pinch, but your vocal chords are in your larynx, and all liquids go down the pharynx, which is a diiferent cavity.

Also, you'll only be able to change the amount of phlegm in your larynx by giving yourelf histamines, and try to get a anaphylactic response, but once the vocal chords have adducted, the force of the air usually blows most of the phlegm out of the way, and only large amounts of phlegm in your larynx will change your voice, and having that much snot in your wind pipe aint exactly enjoyable.

I do know that drinking booze paralyses some of the muscles in the pharynx around the larynx, giving the body a higher threshold for vocal hypertension (makes you scream better)

I saw it all on a movie in choir once, I've taken it with a grain of salt, but it seems pretty medically sound.

Actually the reason you need to drink water is because muscles need water, and your throat is a muscle. Also the reason dairy products are bad is because of the lining it leaves on your mouth and throat.

Ember Ellusion
07-10-2004, 01:18 AM
does talking a lot before you sing help as in a warm up? cause usually when i talk a lot i find myself being able to sing a lot smoothly

tyler larsen
07-10-2004, 05:52 AM
ember, yes it does.

keep in mind that your voice is a muscle. the more you use it, the stronger it gets.

tremontifan
07-10-2004, 03:51 PM
I sing in a high range, and I find that i can't do it unless i sing really loud. otherwise, i go falsetto.

IbanezRGsk8er
07-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by kurdtlennon
alright... well the first post... first question how to get your voice louder is pretty easy... but hard to do... the trick iis in the breathing, everyones heard breathing or singing from the diaphram, but that just sounds stupid. the diaphram is actually a muscle attatched to the bottom of your lungs and when you "breath from it" all your really doing is making it pull towards the ground, which pulls your lungs and fills them with more air that just a regular breath. to breath like this though takes a little practice but after that its really easy, its just like coughing... to get the same effect and see how big of a breath it should actually be try breathing all of your air out (empty lungs) and holding it there for as long as you can... then breath in, thats what it should feel like. to do that try breathing without having your chest move at all, your upper and middle stomach should push out. that is breathing from your diaphram. then to make it even louder without screaming, put it a little more nasal than you normally would... theres all the trics to projection ive learned... hope it helps.
rock on
Just as long as you dont sound like the singer in muse on "Time is running out" when you breathe. that is so annoying.

Orophin
07-11-2004, 10:46 AM
It gets on my nerves that I can't sing that high! I mean, just up into G would be better and my voice ain't that powerful.

Does singing along to your favourite songs all the time really loud help - I guess it does.

§ound_of_§hade
07-11-2004, 02:11 PM
When I scream for prolonged periods of time, I wind up getting a really bad headache.

I've already tried the usual to get rid of it, Heroin, Weed, Vodka and Ibuprofen (At the same time) and nothing seems to stop it

Any help?

RHCP king
07-11-2004, 05:21 PM
there int realy that much stuff on net 4 vocals

MasterXaero
07-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Yup, I'm a teenage vocalist. And it sucks. I used to be able to sing really well, then recently my voice started going through its "changes." I can't go nearly as high as I used to be able to. Hopefully someone out there could answer my question: how long till this stops and when it does will I be able to sing normally or will my voice be all deep and ****?

GoodCharloteSux
07-11-2004, 07:46 PM
it matters on the person. And it might turn ****t*... it happened to me... if u wanna be smart get a vocal coach

biohazardous56
07-11-2004, 07:50 PM
or just keep practiing

and stretching your voice

Iam138
07-11-2004, 08:07 PM
like biohazardous said just keep practicing and work on the scales. and it might get better or you just might have to sing deeper.

LastRockShow
07-11-2004, 08:16 PM
lol to get my voice to be able to go high again, i resorted to singing Backstreet Boys songs over and over for hours. NOW, i can sing about as high as Led Zeppelin & low as Nickelback. you might not be that desperate tho....=P

Rock'n Roll
07-11-2004, 08:16 PM
When I scream for prolonged periods of time, I wind up getting a really bad headache.

I've already tried the usual to get rid of it, Heroin, Weed, Vodka and Ibuprofen (At the same time) and nothing seems to stop it

Any help?

Well, here's what I do I drink lots of water and tea.Eat chips to grease up the throat.Practice 3-5 times a week for 1-2 hours aday.My vocals are vary in range from deep-Jim Morrison and high-Robert Plant.I think it's good to have range many don't have it.This is what you should do stop screaming and start singing.:cheers:

MasterXaero
07-11-2004, 08:22 PM
well like when i get an "adult voice," will i still have trouble going high or does this only happen during puberty?

Honor-Damned
07-11-2004, 08:26 PM
well, you might not be able to go as high, but atleast your balls are dropping!

Ember Ellusion
07-11-2004, 08:48 PM
is tea good for ur vocal skills?

Junkstuff1
07-11-2004, 09:01 PM
You most likely won't be able to sing as high. But you'll be able to sing lower, probably. How long it lasts depends on the person. It could be anywhere between a month and a year.

MasterXaero
07-11-2004, 09:42 PM
does that mean that all famous singers are rarities in terms of their voice? even average singers like brand new and green day? cause i cant go that high now but maybe its because my voice is strained from developing?

Rock'n Roll
07-11-2004, 09:52 PM
^it works really well for me, but it depends on your style,I guess.What kinda style do you do mines High pitch-David lee Roth, Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Axl Rose and Deep Pitch-Jim Morrison, Scott Weiland and Layne Staley.Oblivously it won't work for everyone I guess, but It depends on your style.What style do you do? as you see mines proably different than yours, not many do that style atleast not anymore.

PiNGPoNG-DT
07-11-2004, 10:27 PM
Dude...

Go to a doctor and ask to be castrated.
It'll solve your problems.

However, it may be a bit too late...
If you're desperate, just chop off your bag.

Junkstuff1
07-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Your voice will most likely end up being deeper than your voice was before. I'm not making any comparison at all to any famous singers. I have no way to know where your voice will end up.

blacklightsm
07-12-2004, 12:18 PM
i've heard that your voice won't stop getting deeper until you die. i could be wrong though.

fingrpickngood
07-12-2004, 02:47 PM
roger that pig, thanks
guess i'll just work on finding my range.
i think it's somewhere between sucks and hahaha

ohdarn323
07-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Drink lemon juice, it helps clear your throat.

Take a shower, it helps clear your throat.

Don't eat cheese, drink milk, etc. it clogs your throat.

Think light and high.

WideSpreadPanic
07-12-2004, 05:10 PM
im 14 and my voice changed like a year ago as people tell me and everyone agrees i can sing slow stuff better than fast stuff even if the slow stuff is sortof high. JUst practice.

ash_361
07-13-2004, 02:55 AM
I can sing pretty well quietly, i think learning to scream is harder.

GuitarGuy876
07-13-2004, 09:33 PM
I dont want to be the lead singer of any band but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for background/harmony singing. I hear the harmony in my head but i cant get it to come out. Any ideas?

Slurgi
07-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by GuitarGuy876
I dont want to be the lead singer of any band but I was wondering if anyone had any tips for background/harmony singing. I hear the harmony in my head but i cant get it to come out. Any ideas?

I know exactly what you're saying, and my advice is to learn theory along with ear training.

With that, you will then learn to 'know' the harmonies and intervals between them. There's a distinct sound to harmonies of each note. I used to make up 'songs' (if you'd call them that) when i was little, but i used to go to the piano and try to play them but i'd get all confused. Now if i hear something on the radio or in my head its a lot easier to listen and think "Hey, that solo was totally 100% in phrygian".

Most people who dont know theory (like a couple of my friends who play guitar, but know no theory) find that a rediculous thought to hear a song and 'know' its scale, or its harmonies and chords, but is it really? Most people can hear a song and say "that sounds middle-eastern" or "that sounds spanish" or "that sounds like a pop song". Most people's ears can recognize modes and harmonies very easily IMO, it just takes practice. Its fun to amaze people by listening to a song and immediately being able to strum the chords along with the song :)

I think i just ranted on about something other than what you were asking, sorry... hehe :P

sideperu
07-16-2004, 07:10 AM
Hey
I sing in a band and everytime i hear myself singing when we've recorded (demos, live recordings) it feels like im out of key. After gigs, sometimes i ask people if i sounded in key and they say im fine. What the problem? :bonk:

ohdarn323
07-16-2004, 06:29 PM
You probably have a bad ear, if the people who are listening say you're fine.

ad_lib_oz
07-17-2004, 04:27 AM
Whats with this guy saying not to breathe with the diaphragm? Its good because you can hold a note for longer, and control the volume of the voice more effectively. Thats what i've noticed anyway

deusalone
07-18-2004, 04:41 PM
Sheer practice will change the pitch of your voice if you *gently* force it up/down. Only a few notes, maybe your highest will go from an f to a g# but you can add on.

As for going for those high notes, get loud. Much louder. Really push it out there. And If you don't get it at first, make sure you're properly warmed up by singing about 10 minutes fo stuff you can hit.

And as far as layne stanley having a deep voice...no.
I'm a certified octave or two below him easy and he's several notes above me.

Ember Ellusion
07-19-2004, 12:12 AM
okies..question.. i felt this lumpy thing blocking my throat one morning i woke up, i went to see the doctor and he said it was sum sort of minor throat infection but i ahve a feeling he's a useless doctor so i dun really feel safe.. is this like a minor throat infection or is it sumthin much worse.? its affecting my vocals ability by A LOT.. thx

dying_soul
07-19-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Ember Ellusion
okies..question.. i felt this lumpy thing blocking my throat one morning i woke up, i went to see the doctor and he said it was sum sort of minor throat infection but i ahve a feeling he's a useless doctor so i dun really feel safe.. is this like a minor throat infection or is it sumthin much worse.? its affecting my vocals ability by A LOT.. thx

i'd go get a second opinion if i was you.

ad_lib_oz
07-20-2004, 02:44 AM
Join a choir if you want to learn how to sing. Go to sports matches to learn how to scream.

I joined choirs.

Ramco
07-20-2004, 12:55 PM
When going through puberty you really lose control of your voice, and therefore you lose most of your range. Continue practicing and you'll regain your vocal prowess. You really have to re-learn how to use your voice (your talking voice will crack until you learn how to control it, and you usually learn that quicker because you talk more than sing).

Ramco
07-20-2004, 01:00 PM
Also, don't push your voice. You can give your voice an edge without straining it, and it's all in your head when you think you can't hit a note, therefore you strain for it and lose most of your natural range. It takes practice to be a good singer, just like playing guitar.

Oh, and screaming is BAD for your voice. I mean REALLY BAD. I don't care if your favorite artist does it, just DON'T do it yourself. You'll be singing longer, clearer and better than any screamer five years down the road. Instead of screaming or growling, listen to some 60s and 70s era rock and roll and hear some of the vocal inflections and tricks they pull off. John Lennon, Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury all were able to do a falsetto pseudo-scream that didn't hurt their voices and while not as "extreme" as most screamers today it'll usually have the same results (in fact, your music will appeal to a wider audience).

Orange Juice
07-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Heres a good voice training routine that i use.
Play a note on the guitar and try and match it with your voice.
Use an electronic tuner to see if you're too sharp/flat and work on getting it correctly.(will help alot in itself) Then play scales in many different keys and sing along usin "ta's te's la's and anything else you can think of that will help.

scheck006
07-20-2004, 08:17 PM
/\ not just scales, I recommend doing arpeggios chromatically as well. It really helps with voice pitch control.

CircleTheDrain
07-20-2004, 11:20 PM
I've seen alot of people drink warm tea

GivingMeCreeps
07-21-2004, 10:19 AM
I was wondering if there are any good books or websites that basically help you get started singing. I used to sing in my band...but slowly stopped and now i can't sing very well. I really only wanna do background vocals but whatever you guys can help with would be cool.

mrtalbini
07-21-2004, 01:53 PM
u guys have any simple exercises to help with breathing, like making each breath last longer?

Orange Juice
07-22-2004, 04:28 PM
a really good thing to do for that is to jog around somewhere while singing. It will make your voice better faster

Iodine
07-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Er, I think this thread could help me..

I want to start doing lead vocals, but I've never really sung a note in my life.. and so I'm like an absolute beginner. I wanted to know, what's the best way to go about starting.. ? Any resources? Keep in mind I don't have a great deal of money, and so I can't afford to go out and pay for a voice coach, if there are even any local ones around here.

I'm looking to basically teach myself using the internet, books, and whatever else I can use to become better. :x I've already begun to do breathing exercises, and I'm going to begin swimming on a regular (probably daily, bi-daily) basis because I heard both of those help.. anything else?

Also, I'm pretty shy and so it's going to be difficult for me to just start randomly singing in front of people right away.

Tips..?

Orange Juice
07-23-2004, 09:09 PM
you dont really need to spend any money to learn how to sing. just practice alot and make sure your in key and you can sing along with instruments. and to help sing in front of people, imagine everyone is dressed like a bloated giraffe

Yongyot
07-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Growling with "saliva"
I think it depends on how you growl. Do you growl for real, or do you scream? Its a big difference. When you Scream you dont get the saliva effect, but if you Growl its much easier to get that sound. If you scream i can try to help you growl. Do like this:
For instance, lets say you wanna growl in a low pitch. Try to go as low as you can and press your adams apple against your throught with your muscles and try to impersonate sombodys voice at first.

And now my question. Does anybody know a good warmup for your vocalcords? thank ya

Axe Master
07-25-2004, 06:35 AM
I just started singing like a month ago and I'm pretty brutal. But my question is what is "falsetto"?

Yongyot
07-25-2004, 01:29 PM
"Falsetto" is when you go to very high notes, but dont sing with your voice or what you should say...sounds kind of geeky!A very clear example of this : The darkness - I belive in a thing called love
you now when he says : just listen to the rythm of your heart:cheers:

Axe Master
07-25-2004, 02:55 PM
oh hahaa yeah **** I know exactly what that is, I do it all the time cause I'm a brutal singer.

Ramco
07-26-2004, 11:26 AM

Cheers to whoever else can hit every falsetto note in I Believe In A Thing Called Love while keeping good tone - I can and it knocks the socks off of everyone who hears it! :p:

geetar-god
07-29-2004, 10:46 PM
I've been singing lately(screamin actually) and ive got a question.. when i scream/ growl it sounds like more like the scream at the beginning of "bleeding mascara" by atreyu...how do i learn to scream higher pitched more like "young and aspiring" by underoath or the "come on" in "right side of the bed" by atreyu?

basically i wanna raise the pitch of my scream any tips?

scottspfd82
08-01-2004, 10:25 PM
Allright. I'm 22, and used to be able to sing pretty good when I was younger, but havn't tried it in years. I've been playing guitar my whole life, and really want to get good at singing again. The main thing is I live in a dorm, and I don't want to just practice singing in my room because I suck and everyone outside can hear me. Also, singing while playing guitar. If it's a song where the chords kind of flow with the lyrics like say "wish you where here" by floyd I can sing it fine. But if it's a constant rhythm like, uhh, "semi-charmed life" by third eye blind (not a big fan but it's a good example) then I have trouble concentrating on both parts. Any tips for either problem? Thanks.

Slurgi
08-01-2004, 10:40 PM
This is probably going to sound obvious, scottspfd82, but why not get in your car and pop in a CD and practice there?

By the way i like your name...
(my name is scott) :cheers:

scottspfd82
08-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Heh heh. Yeah, I do that all the time. I'm just not sure if I'm practicing right. I can sing fine with a band, but without something backing me up my voice sounds weak and tinny. That's what I'm trying to get rid of. I'm thinking of maybe taking some singing lessons, not sure though.

Slurgi
08-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Yea, would there be a way you could take lessons at your university? That would be a good bet.

I'm going to college in the fall, and i actually am in a fairly similar situation. I used to be able to sing when i was younger, but i just havent sung in a long time. My voice definately needs work :(

adicted2adicts
08-01-2004, 11:25 PM
i heard that a good way to sooth your vocal chords before perfoming is to drink a lemon and honey concoction.

xstephenx
08-02-2004, 10:30 PM
i was wondering, how do bands record screaming into mics without touching the mics, see I always want to hold the mic and scream into it (not cup it) but the studio we're recording at won't let me, it sounds different the way we're doing it, it sounds weaker. help.

www.lifesflaw.cjb.net

Punkarse
08-03-2004, 05:38 AM
I think you should record at a new studio

Punkarse
08-03-2004, 05:46 AM
One quick thing about singing. The three things which make a good singer are: Posture, Breathing and Diction. To sing well you need good posture, not hunched over the mic but standing up expanding your chest and letting your diaphragm move. If you try this you should see instant results, with a louder voice, better tone and (if you are thatway inclined) a better quality scream. Breathing is also important, you don't see professional singers gasping for air. You need to learn to control your breathing and take in larger amounts of air when you can. Diction is pronouncing thing as you want them to sound. You can't be lazy and let your mouth flap up and down like a fish and still expect to sound good, you need to make an effort and concentrate on each vowel, getting it perfectly as you want it. I hope this has been helpful.

downfallen23
08-05-2004, 09:52 PM
i tried the cat crap thing, i just threw up, jk, but does anyone know if its better to try to base the rhythm guitar around the lyrics (i sing alot, and play rhythm) or should i just live with it and try to sing and play complicated crap...and which normally sounds better?

JLKRHetfield
08-06-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by downfallen23
i tried the cat crap thing, i just threw up, jk, but does anyone know if its better to try to base the rhythm guitar around the lyrics (i sing alot, and play rhythm) or should i just live with it and try to sing and play complicated crap...and which normally sounds better?

Look m8. When you sing only play rythem. get another guitar palyer to play the lead. YOu can steal his solos sometime but you need to decide if you wanna be the frontman or the lead guitarist (I prefer being a frontman)

:dance:

goldengirl1390
08-07-2004, 12:43 AM
I wanna play some originals and am uncertain of how my voice sounds...since people either say I'm good or ok. So should I sing anyways or just sit back and let someone else sing my lyrics?

rhcpcure2826
08-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by blacklightsm
i've heard that your voice won't stop getting deeper until you die. i could be wrong though.

Yes. in fact, you ARE wrong. wow, how dumb

ScarredFaith
08-09-2004, 04:03 AM
Man, I have a two octave range. Must increase. Need help. Help me.

EDIT: I can sing any skynyrd, any smashing pumpkins, Most Zeppelin, Most Nirvana, I only miss it by like 4 notes or so in the Zeppelin and Nirvana. Any advice to gain those four notes?
Thanks.

Nirvana_RATM2
08-10-2004, 05:31 AM
i am just starting off to sing so how could i just imrpove all of it together.. i mean sing from the stomach???? i want to get that kinda hetfeild roughness and cobain... but also zep and ac/dc........ i can hold back on the gnr lol.

Until 16
08-10-2004, 03:27 PM
is gatorade good for your voice? i know that it cant help it in any way, but will it like mess it up or anything? i got myself addicted to pop and i'm trying to cut back on it.. so i was thinking about switching from pop to something like gatorade or powerade or fruitworks.. something along the lines of that.

dashboard_fan
08-10-2004, 11:40 PM
whats the best way to start learnig how to sing

Set999
08-11-2004, 01:35 PM
Ok, a few things

1.When i try to sing all out, i start to get a little dizzy, like i am hyperventilating. How do i learn not to do that?

2. My voice, when i record it, sounds like my nose is sort of plugged up, or that im singing through my nose, how do I make it not sound like that?

AngilasGuy
08-12-2004, 02:10 AM
I'm also a total noob when it comes to singing, since I was 12 I wanted to sing.
Except i'm ungodly shy, even to myself, so I try to practice when no one else is home mostly.
I really want to sing like Jon Anderson from YES, but man, he's been singing for 50+ years and getting better every year.

Another problem I'm going to have to overcome is my obession with milk... I probably drink more milk than an infant....

rob15
08-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Water is usually ur best bet

travel sized
08-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Set999
Ok, a few things

1.When i try to sing all out, i start to get a little dizzy, like i am hyperventilating. How do i learn not to do that?

2. My voice, when i record it, sounds like my nose is sort of plugged up, or that im singing through my nose, how do I make it not sound like that?

1. use a deeper breath insted of a lot of little ones. and don't hold one breath for too long. thats all i can think of right now, i'll edit it with more later probably.

2. i think i have the same problem. but i'm not sure, i've never been told my voice sounds like that. i think what it might be is that most people psychologically hate their own voice. even if you sound like your favorite singer, you don't hear it, and you hate it. MOST i think, i'm not sure. but once again it's connected to your breathing, and letting your breath out i think. i'm not an expert, i teach myself so if i learn more i'll tell you

guitargal10
08-17-2004, 11:49 PM
I have a problem with singing. Well im not the greatest and I dont want to be a singer I just want to get my songs out there. But everytime I record and listen to myself it doesnt sound like me. It sounds like a 9 year old girl and im 15 and no matter what I record on like a computer or anything my voice sounds way way different and worse through it. My friends didnt even reckanise it was me, and I dont' know what to do does anyone else have this problem? Its really annoying me...Im getting frustrated..

The Spain
08-18-2004, 11:36 AM
Has anyone of you ever had a vocal coach? cause i think about taking some lessons, cause i am a good singer but i have problems in higher levels

Set999
08-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by travel sized
1. use a deeper breath insted of a lot of little ones. and don't hold one breath for too long. thats all i can think of right now, i'll edit it with more later probably.

2. i think i have the same problem. but i'm not sure, i've never been told my voice sounds like that. i think what it might be is that most people psychologically hate their own voice. even if you sound like your favorite singer, you don't hear it, and you hate it. MOST i think, i'm not sure. but once again it's connected to your breathing, and letting your breath out i think. i'm not an expert, i teach myself so if i learn more i'll tell you

Thanks man.

Nirvana_RATM2
08-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by guitargal10
I have a problem with singing. Well im not the greatest and I dont want to be a singer I just want to get my songs out there. But everytime I record and listen to myself it doesnt sound like me. It sounds like a 9 year old girl and im 15 and no matter what I record on like a computer or anything my voice sounds way way different and worse through it. My friends didnt even reckanise it was me, and I dont' know what to do does anyone else have this problem? Its really annoying me...Im getting frustrated..

same here my voice has gotten deeper... but when i record im like wtf is that me... i think is has something to do with the way i try to emulate people we should try to sing and be ourslefs with our own unique voice..

guitargal10
08-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Nirvana_RATM2

umm dude....im a girl my voice hasnt gotten deeper.....and i am singing like myself and using my own unique voice not falsetto....

poihoi
08-19-2004, 09:47 AM
From the doc...

the reason why your voice sounds weird when you hear it recorded is that your inner ear is connected by a canal and bony prominences to your mouth. So, you are hearing yourself in stereo when you are singing. You have a combination of conduction and sensorineural hearing. BUT, when you hear yourself recorded, you only have the only the sensorineural. Thus, you sound "weird".

guitargal10
08-19-2004, 02:22 PM
poihoi...I kinda understood that a little bit.....maybe......

blackflag13
08-19-2004, 09:37 PM
hey i need some help on "punk" style yelling like THE CASUALTIES, the unseen bands like that. my voice is great when i sing but after a while it feels like the top of my throght gets tighter and i gag a little. and my voice gets REALLY raspy after a couple songs. i really like how it sounds when its raspy and how it is now but its really tight feeling...is there anything i can do to open my throught more so its not so tight and i dont gag. or things to drink/eat before or excerices to warm-up.

:cheers: THANKS!!! :cheers:

RedTears
08-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Dont drink milk. And if you want a raspy voice, take up smoking. (I dont smoke)

mageezer
08-19-2004, 09:58 PM
raspy is a smokers voice thats what they say but some are born with it like the singer of my old band

DaleH
08-19-2004, 10:15 PM
no, god, don't smoke, that'll kill your voice. you need to learn how to get the sounds you want w/o hurting your voice, if you keep singing in a manner that hurts your voice quickly, overtime you could PERMANENTLY damage or lose your singing voice. Smoking would only make it more likely. Go to a voice teacher or figure it out yourself, but take care of your voice because it's easier than you think to ruin it...

Michael_Frazier
08-19-2004, 10:45 PM
I agree, Yelling or Screaming is definitely gonna scar your voice for life. There's no doubt about it. Look at Axle Rose. I remember he used to sing with that scream technique (I hate GNR no matter what), and the last time I heard him perform which was on the MTV VMAs, his voice absolutely sucked ass. I don't see why he even tried. Smoking will make matters worse too.

7LoverLeaver7
08-20-2004, 03:48 PM
Ok, only one post on here has been close to my problem.

1. When I just get up and start singing(warm-up or not) at full volumes my voice is "tickled" in the back and it causes me to cough. Does this just mean I need to drink water a while before hand?

2. If I scream(think of in-between the tone of the used and underoath) even one short word my throat gets blocked and water, honey, whatever does not clear it and I can't hit high notes with getting a raspy sound.

My vocal idol is prolly the frontman of Taking back sunday becuase his voie is so clean at high pitches and he can scream very high and then hit a clean high note all in the same line(How does he do it???lol) and as far as screaming no one can beat underoath.

Any idea's how I can atceave a mix of screaming and high notes without losing the clean tone in my voive?

patrickmclaren
08-20-2004, 07:17 PM
im not that good at singing but i know that getsigned.com (http://www.getsigned.com) have some good lessons bout singing

:D

fuzzybunny
08-20-2004, 09:26 PM
dear little person 2 posts above me:
you wrote:

1. When I just get up and start singing(warm-up or not) at full volumes my voice is "tickled" in the back and it causes me to cough. Does this just mean I need to drink water a while before hand?

not necessarily water (though it does help) - it means you've been talking/shouting/even singing too much beforehand. try and stay quasi-quiet for a couple of days before gigs.

2. If I scream(think of in-between the tone of the used and underoath) even one short word my throat gets blocked and water, honey, whatever does not clear it and I can't hit high notes with getting a raspy sound.

that sounds like you've already damaged your voice from trying to do something you weren't cut out to do. some people are just 'born screamers' - others aren't.

My vocal idol is prolly the frontman of Taking back sunday becuase his voie is so clean at high pitches and he can scream very high and then hit a clean high note all in the same line(How does he do it???lol) and as far as screaming no one can beat underoath.

Any idea's how I can atceave a mix of screaming and high notes without losing the clean tone in my voive?

nice self-contradicion... you can't scream with a clean tone in the way that you describe (a la the used, taking back sunday...). to be honest, the singer in taking back sunday doesn't scream at all, he just has an extremely powerful voice. don't strain your voice by trying to 'scream' - sing the way you can and make the most of it. you could cause permanent damage otherwise.

7LoverLeaver7
08-21-2004, 11:21 PM
Ummmmm, thank you for the advise I guess although you didn't really answer my questions. I don't want a clean scream, I want to scream and then sing cleanly on and off. And weather I sang(is that a word lol) the day before or a week ago my throat still feels "tickled". Thanks for trying though

And by the way, check out a live TBS show, he screams a lot. Also he screams on the new cd and one song on the old cd (the name escapes me)

does anyone else have ideas?

MoJa
08-22-2004, 07:33 AM
Guys, Everyone in the beatles smoked and they all had lovely voices!

Stouffs
08-24-2004, 06:22 PM
My sinus's are all clogged and when i sing it hurts real bad. what could i do to help it, any suggestions? What can i do to fix this problem.

Angusman60
08-26-2004, 11:01 PM
ok my voice is still changing and somthimes it cracks when im singing is there a certain way i can sing where my voice don't crack

ReportAsPhuck
08-26-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Angusman60
ok my voice is still changing and somthimes it cracks when im singing is there a certain way i can sing where my voice don't crack

Wait until you've finished going through puberty...

guitargal10
08-27-2004, 12:44 AM
I have this problem that has never happened before. I have been singing a lot more latley (dreadfully I have to) and anyways its harder to sing now like my voice feels strained and it hurts when i move my throat on one side like theres a lump there. And I havent been doing any screaming either....Could this be a bad thing (Well Duh I guess) ?? I really dread those doctors who don't know anything *shudders* or does this happen to some of you? Is it a faze? I really don't want to damage my voice., even if it isnt the greatest.

devon_f_2003
08-27-2004, 11:38 PM
I heard drinking Honey before you sing helps?

SRVGuitarFreak
08-27-2004, 11:38 PM
can u improve ur voice any by just running scales, like i play guitar and if i played scales on there and matched the notes of the guitar with my voice, would i get any better??

backup and lead
08-27-2004, 11:52 PM
im pretty sure i have asma so its a little harder to sing for longer than 10 minutes and it dosnt help that i get tierd and then go skateboard around the block
but im getting better everyday so the only advice i can give is just keep on trying your best

ReportAsPhuck
08-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by backup and lead
the only advice i can give is just keep on trying your best

Yep. Less than a year ago, I couldn't sing to save my life, and now I think I'm a pretty good singer. All it takes is practice.

I made a mix CD with a bunch of different songs/artists on it that I use to practice singing to. It actually does help...

Blake 13
08-28-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by PunkAsPhuck
Yep. Less than a year ago, I couldn't sing to save my life, and now I think I'm a pretty good singer. All it takes is practice.

I made a mix CD with a bunch of different songs/artists on it that I use to practice singing to. It actually does help...

good inspiration ...

question: i love guitar but i would rather do vocals i cant really decide nor my band decide what we want ...2 guitarists and a new bands member or 1 guiatrist and i do lead vocals ... guitar/sing= not an option

what do u think i should do ..its ultamately my bands choice but just share your opinions

ultimate_punk
08-28-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Stouffs
My sinus's are all clogged and when i sing it hurts real bad. what could i do to help it, any suggestions? What can i do to fix this problem.

Ah dude, I had that on the day of a singing exam! The best thing is to drink a lot of water. Seriously, it helps. Just imagine that you're singing as good as usual and it usually comes out okay. But the best thing to do of course, is too wait for it to clear. Unfortunatley for me, I didn't have that option!

fleaflicker182
08-29-2004, 10:23 PM
Is there anybody out there who is intrigued by John Frusciante's backing vox?

travel sized
08-30-2004, 12:23 PM
this is a question mainly for guys. cause i sing in my band, and the only compliments i get on my voice are from girls....and my two best friends (who are guys), but they're supposed to be nice. why does it seem that guys can't compliment another male singer? all guys seem to do is insult eachother cause it's cool (i'm a guy by the way.)

also, one guy once said "maybe your bassist should sing, cause your voice is weird." but if my voice was "normal" (which thank god its not) wouldn't my band just end up as another yellowcard/good charlotte/simple plan where the singer is just like another bands singer? so here's my second question...do you prefer a band with a "normal" singer, or someone who sounds really different? sorry if this made no sence....

Stouffs
08-31-2004, 06:51 AM
Go for originality.. Sometimes people can be dicks and not accept something different.

brendan666
09-02-2004, 04:57 PM
I've been play guitar for awhile now and I've written a few decent songs/lyrics. But what I haven't done is tried singing them. So i tried a few times and it didnt sound that bad. But i want to know how to sing loudly like Kurt Cobain (i know he wasnt the best singer around but I like how he could almost yell/sing at some parts of his songs ). I tried doing this a few times and I just couldn't do it for some reason :confused:

do you have any suggestions on how to sing like that? should i try singing lighter songs then go heavier? or what? cause i kinda a slightly weak voice. thanks.

travel sized
09-02-2004, 06:43 PM
^^ maybe use a powerful mic, i'm friends with a professional singer, and she says she has to use powerful mic's (and that i should too) because we both have "quiet" voices. but as far as i've heard, no one's ever sounded like kurt again. don't try, go for your own voice. you don't want to be just a copy of nirvana do you? be your own voice, and in your own band.

Diminishedfaith
09-02-2004, 08:50 PM
not trying to copy him, but trying to figure out how to get vocal strength, range, and loudness i guess, cause kurt screamed at an odd pitch, hard not to go lower or too high of it, lol, but then again, im not the dude so i dont know if hes trying to copy or not

RiseAgainst
09-04-2004, 03:22 PM
maybe thats why i suck at singing because i drink alot of milk

fishboneul03
09-05-2004, 03:18 PM
so, rob of matchbox 20 has this song bright lights. the first time he goes through the chorus he sings the words "baby, baby, baby" way way up in falsetto, out of what seems to be his normal range. then the second time through he hits the same note only this time its not in falsetto, nor is it breaking up or screaming...its very clean. anybody have any ideas?

Faust
09-08-2004, 04:59 AM
Whatever you're singing, the trick is to just let it flow from you. Even if you make some terrible mistakes during a gig, the audience will be more forgiving, since you've given some feeling to the song.

Water is generally good for your voice, but don't drink cold water before a gig, rehearsal or whatever. Don't drink carbonated drinks, beer or whiskey before a gig, as they will dry your throat (I know first-hand).

I mentioned this in another vocal thread: If you're using death metal vox, you can do this trick many noted DM singers use (i.e David Vincent, Mikael Akerfeldt): Turn the mic volume high, and just growl quietly, using only your throat. This will allow you to control your voice much more efficiently, and stretch your range. Plus, you won't get throat problems, and you can switch to soft vocals easily, without destroying them. Plus, phlegm doesn't hurt in this case. In fact, it further enhances your singing. You'll find you'll be doing much better if you have a cold (unless you have to switch to soft vox afterwards).

The above trick can also work for clean vocals, as it's harder to hit false notes, since you're not straining your throat. It will also allow you to keep your voice longer, as you're not expelling as much air. However, try to use it only when your vocals can't meet the song's demands easily, or when you have to keep a note for a looong time. If you don't get it right, it might rob the song of all the feeling.

Pyr0
09-08-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by fishboneul03
so, rob of matchbox 20 has this song bright lights. the first time he goes through the chorus he sings the words "baby, baby, baby" way way up in falsetto, out of what seems to be his normal range. then the second time through he hits the same note only this time its not in falsetto, nor is it breaking up or screaming...its very clean. anybody have any ideas?

You can get very high with proper training, it's all about using your posture and lungs.

IcemanIC400
09-08-2004, 08:58 PM
forgive me if this has already been done, but i dont care. im wondering if there is some kind of voice effect maybe pedals or something like there are guitar effects pedals, or if its all in the mixer of ur PA. and whatever u know about it, tell me. im just looking for a slight distortion cuz frankly, i hate the sound of my voice.
thanks

ilovebooks915
09-08-2004, 09:03 PM
just distort your mic and danelectro makes a voice pedal called the free speech pedal although it might be discontinued

IcemanIC400
09-08-2004, 09:08 PM
i went to the danelectro site and they showed no indication of having a voice pedal...so i dunno

gtarguy358
09-08-2004, 09:15 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/150177/

here is some digitech thing for vocals...dont know if its any good

IcemanIC400
09-08-2004, 09:33 PM
looks good, thanks. little pricey tho, might try ebay.....

UG's_Pagan
09-09-2004, 12:33 AM
That is a "talk box"
It's basically a piezo controlled envelope filter, which will make your guitar respond to vowel sounds you make.

I think he's looking for a vocal processor.

Digitech makes the only vocal processor I know. It's the same shape and look of an rp-400, but it's purple. It carries all the regular effects, with even some like "Robot" which makes you sound like a robot.

I've never used one, but they're probably half decent. I read an article about it in a guitar magazine, but those ****ing articles are always lard injected.

I don't know why you're looking for a "vocal distortion"

This will make it sound like you're talking through a megaphone. Alot of people think it will make their voice sound raspier, which it doesn't.

The guy from "3 days grace" uses a doubling delay effect to make his voice sound raspier, but it hardly works.

Shadow Self
09-13-2004, 01:36 PM

Any help? Earplugs.

Man, am I ever behind in this thread.

Shadow Self
09-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Ramco

Cheers to whoever else can hit every falsetto note in I Believe In A Thing Called Love while keeping good tone Cheers to you, too! :cheers:

Shadow Self
09-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by AngilasGuy
I'm also a total noob when it comes to singing, since I was 12 I wanted to sing.
Except i'm ungodly shy, even to myself, so I try to practice when no one else is home mostly.
I really want to sing like Jon Anderson from YES, but man, he's been singing for 50+ years and getting better every year.

. Jon has a naturally high voice (have you heard him speak?) and he also uses falsetto quite a bit, but it sounds so close to his normal voice that he doesn't come off sounding like Mickey Mouse or the Darkness.

The best thing you can do, and I am sure it has been mentioned a lot in this thread, is to keep at it. When I started, I sang like a frog. I got much better, but it is a slow process. Sing whenever and wherever you can. You don't have to sing loudly - even singing quietly helps you work on your relative pitch and makes you a little more comfortable doing it. When I started, my band at the time would only let me sing Midnight Oil songs. :) Listen to me now, though... I have improved.

Anyway, I have a feeling that my reply is way late, so I'll shuddup now.

http://clarkemcmurray.dmusic.com

BluePaintCult
09-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Someone said something about TBS's Adam Lazzara (their lead singer)..

He does have a very strong voice, which is amazing because he is a SMOKER. You can hear the raspiness hit him sometimes in a few songs.
One example in my head at the moment is in "This Photograph Is Proof (I Know You Know)"
where he sings
"You see, it's never bad enough to just leave or give up, but it's never good enough to feel right".

Smoking messes your voice up but i think that particular line sounds cool.

Mylifeforyours
09-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Yea i do backup for my band. and i was wondering if somebody can help me on a proper way to scream????

heres my band to see what i sound like. All the backround vocals is me by the way

www.purevolume.com/tomorrowsgoodbye

brown_oxford
09-20-2004, 01:59 PM
i might be the only one with this problem, but whenever i sing, be it just mouthing lyrics when im listening to my cds or when im singing in choir, i tend to yawn every so often. doesnt matter the time of day or how much sleep i got. now in choir its not as big a deal since its a big group, but some friends and i are planning a band and i cant be yawning while perfoming. any suggestions?

fishboneul03
09-20-2004, 10:23 PM
move around when you sing and breathe deep. yawning is caused by inactivity.

brown_oxford
09-21-2004, 03:03 PM
thanks, ill try that

UtBDan
09-21-2004, 07:08 PM
This is going to sound quite generic and may not ask specifically enough about the problem, nor may it even truly belong in this thread, but...

my vocalist has no distinctive style, and wants to find his own way of singing (he feels Plant's, Rose's, and other's voices are so great not because of range but because of how you can indentify them.) I partially agree with that, but... he still has no style of his own. How does one discover their singing style?

blueeleguitar
09-22-2004, 12:00 PM
Ok i am lead singer in band but also play me guitar(rythem) but recently i felt the need to put mi guitar man and act like a frontman, unsal 4 me i luv mi guitar, but i wanted to no how to make mi presence felt while singing like a frontman cos ive never ven thought bout it b4. O and im frotnmain teh whole time wen mi band play in church on sunday as well so i need answers quick plz!

LLCoolTay
09-22-2004, 05:22 PM
I can sing, and i have a descent range, but it seems my problem is that when I hear myself singing, i just start to suck. I know it sounds wierd, but when I hear myself, with no music playing behind me, I just cant sing. It makes it really hard to practice on my own, does anybody have any ideas?

ReportAsPhuck
09-23-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by LLCoolTay
I can sing, and i have a descent range, but it seems my problem is that when I hear myself singing, i just start to suck. I know it sounds wierd, but when I hear myself, with no music playing behind me, I just cant sing. It makes it really hard to practice on my own, does anybody have any ideas?

Practice along with a CD...

fishboneul03
09-24-2004, 12:12 AM
Do NOT sing along with a cd. if you want to be able to perform a song and sing it, you have to be able to hit a pitch by yourself. if you cant do that...you cant sing. singing along with only helps with the tone of your voice. its like paint by numbers wont make you a better artist, you just gotta practice scales, or sing a simple tune over a few chords on your guitar.

ReportAsPhuck
09-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by fishboneul03
Do NOT sing along with a cd. if you want to be able to perform a song and sing it, you have to be able to hit a pitch by yourself.

Ummm...if you can hit a certain note while singing along with something, then you can hit that note regardless of what's in the background...

JLKRHetfield
09-24-2004, 10:42 AM
Is there any site for a free vocal teaching? (like cyberfret for guitar teaching for example).

disheartenme
09-24-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by fuzzybunny
dear little person 2 posts above me:
you wrote:

not necessarily water (though it does help) - it means you've been talking/shouting/even singing too much beforehand. try and stay quasi-quiet for a couple of days before gigs.

that sounds like you've already damaged your voice from trying to do something you weren't cut out to do. some people are just 'born screamers' - others aren't.

nice self-contradicion... you can't scream with a clean tone in the way that you describe (a la the used, taking back sunday...). to be honest, the singer in taking back sunday doesn't scream at all, he just has an extremely powerful voice. don't strain your voice by trying to 'scream' - sing the way you can and make the most of it. you could cause permanent damage otherwise.

i honestly think that you're trying to scream too hard, and that you're using your throat more than your diaphragm. you need to ease up on the tension you're bring forth on your entire body in order to let the right muscles do the work. before you sing or scream you have to feel confident and sort of visualize what it is that you're going to sing or scream before you do it. make sure your voice is warmed up before you start ****ing around w/it.

i love taking back sunday as well...practice makes perfect. if you start getting tired of if anything's hurting just ease up on yourself and try it at a later time, give your voice a break. and maybe even consider getting voice lessons, cuz breathing techniques and such definitely help w/singing and screaming. you have to build the diaphragm muscles up.

disheartenme
09-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by RiseAgainst
maybe thats why i suck at singing because i drink alot of milk
:D haha nice, maybe i should try using that excuse next time my voice cracks up in front of ppl lol

:cheers: ::lifts up glass of cold chocolate milk::

Parre
10-02-2004, 02:43 PM
This may sound silly, but I've got the most basic question about singing - how do you, you know, sing? I mean, should you use your normal talking voice, or should you try to make it smoother in some way? When I try to sing, I make my voice a little raspy or something on purpose, and it sounds better for me than if I just sing with my talking voice, but I don't know how others hear my voice, maybe it sounds really fake and weird when I make it raspy. I hope someone understood what I'm trying to say, if so, please help me a soon as you can.

funeralforluke
10-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Singing comes from your "diaphram" or stomach, basically u shouldnt feel any pain in your throat or sing with your normal voice, fill your stomach with air and sing with that.

fishboneul03
10-04-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by PunkAsPhuck
Ummm...if you can hit a certain note while singing along with something, then you can hit that note regardless of what's in the background...

true, you will physically be able to "hit" the same notes, but that doesnt mean you can correctly Sing an E for example when you dont have a recorded voice to use as a reference. its much easier to sing on pitch when you have another voice to guide you.

IbanezRGsk8er
10-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Does anyone have any advice on singing kinda like Radiohead's Thom? Im looking for an earlier thom sound if you know what i mean. Thanks.

led zepplin
10-10-2004, 09:07 AM
DUDE no one knows what ur talking about

SingingSabre
10-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by PiNGPoNG-DT
^I think it's a bit harder than normal practice.

Most singers will be confined to a specific range at some point. That's how there are classes of voices: Bass, Baritone, Tenor, Alto, Soprano.

They wouldn't have needed castrati if guys could just practice their way to sounding as high as girls.

Castrato is just another style. The reason it's so unique is that the men who sing it don't have testosterone to make their vocal cords thicker and their voices deeper.

Punkarse
10-13-2004, 03:17 PM
Counter-tenor is the highest male voice short of Castrato. I think. Don't quote me on that, I'm not totally sure.

Thom Yorke isn't Counter-tenor. I reasonably sure he's just a normal Tenor, but instead of using his normal singing voice he often uses falsetto. That's how he gets the high notes.

Remebol
10-14-2004, 11:32 PM
any tips on singing the song Stair way to heaven....what is supposed to sound like....should i be very emotional into the lyrics.. or just sing..

SingingSabre
10-15-2004, 01:11 AM
I think I'm going to start a few UG articles on singing. Look out for them in the next few weeks.

sky_blue
10-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by SingingSabre
I think I'm going to start a few UG articles on singing. Look out for them in the next few weeks.

hey there SingingSabre

your inbox is full. I'm waiting to send you a message, but i can't messge you until you clear some of the mail.. :)

See you?

SingingSabre
10-15-2004, 11:37 AM
^ Sorry babe! I fixed it!

ADDENDUM: I just submitted the first of what will be a series of articles giving basic singing tips and exercises.

junior_shredder
10-16-2004, 06:13 AM
hey...i was wondering, i got a pretty deep, chunky voice...and with the correct technique i think i'll have a james hetfield-like tone...any tips on how to get there??

iamrulian
10-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Hello all,

I've been playing guitar for a few year now and am at a point where i'm trying to sing along to the songs i've learned and created. So my question here is did anybody here teach themselves how to sing, or even if you had a teacher, i'd like to know how to go about this. I know the voice i hear isnt the voice i project, so in my head i'm hititng the notes, at least it seams to me, but when i hear recording of myself of course i'm off. Any tips, tricks, or practised yall used to learn how to sing?

snave2008
10-21-2004, 10:10 PM
i taught myself how to sing , and people say they like it .once you sing for a long time , youll sound good...eventually.

naked_monster
10-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Like my caretaker always said, practice practice practice!

punk_loser
10-21-2004, 10:14 PM
I didnt really teach myself how to sing, i kinda just started sounding good after awhile...well...at least peolpe tell me i sound good....

DaleH
10-22-2004, 02:04 AM
don't listen to the voice 'in your head', listen to the voice that's coming out of your mouth. it might help if you use a PA or something to amplify your voice so you can focus on the actual sound. focus on the sound! thats the key.

Fliptopsy
10-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by travel sized

Me three. Explanation: when you just sing to yourself, part of the
sound forms a loop from your mouth to your ears and another
part is transmitted through your cranium. Your skull is part of the
resonance conduit. This creates a different frequency composition
from the sound your buddy hears, which is mainly created from
the sound ringing through your mouth and nose and out towards
him. The difference is, the sound waves transmit through your
skull unobstructed, as opposed to waves projected through your
larynx which encounter all sorts of curves and bulks and ****.:p:
The reason why people don't think that is because to them it's your normal voice. The difference is only obvious to you.

Fliptopsy
10-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by FlyingFuc!<

Give up screaming? Hehe, just kidding.:D

Fliptopsy
10-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by ad_lib_oz
Whats with this guy saying not to breathe with the diaphragm? Its good because you can hold a note for longer, and control the volume of the voice more effectively. Thats what i've noticed anyway

Dude; in the long run, it can fuçk up your posture because you exagerate relaxing your stomach and your back forms an S. This way you can end up with scoliosis. Serious frigging business.

Fliptopsy
10-23-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by DaleH
don't listen to the voice 'in your head', listen to the voice that's coming out of your mouth. it might help if you use a PA or something to amplify your voice so you can focus on the actual sound. focus on the sound! thats the key.

Very true. In recording, it is important to have a pure, clear tone and announciate your words. Also, it gives the engineer a good source to work with: in studio you can fuçk up any voice into sounding the way you want it to be. But if your source is already a diffuse mumbo-jumbo and/or you can't make up your mind as to what you want to sing like, you end up with camel sh!t.

Fliptopsy
10-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Faust had this to say about eggplant:

I mentioned this in another vocal thread: If you're using death metal vox, you can do this trick many noted DM singers use (i.e David Vincent, Mikael Akerfeldt): Turn the mic volume high, and just growl quietly, using only your throat.

And get yourself the worst case of feedback. Dude, there is a gain limit for every mic and, trust me, while it may hold its bit for recording, live, it'll never work. You're on a STAGE where guitars and bass are most likely close-miked and very often because of lack of monitoring capabilities cabs are turned up high into the sky. The available monitors will most likely be destined to the singer and there is a strong chance that the mic will create high feedback with the monitor. In case you move around too, you'll get the coolest effect of low feedback with the system speakers. So, unless you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, forget it.

renato
10-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by snave2008
i taught myself how to sing , and people say they like it .once you sing for a long time , youll sound good...eventually.

i taught myself to sing. your voice is an instrument and the same laws apply with the voice as with any other instrument. so if you know your music theory its just a question of 'transposing' it from piano, guitar, clarionet, etc to your voice. things like singing in harmony in thirds, or simply getting from one note to another!

actually i'm quite worried as i sing quite high, and i'm a pretty heavy customer !

renato
10-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Fliptopsy
And get yourself the worst case of feedback. Dude, there is a gain limit for every mic and, trust me, while it may hold its bit for recording, live, it'll never work. You're on a STAGE where guitars and bass are most likely close-miked and very often because of lack of monitoring capabilities cabs are turned up high into the sky. The available monitors will most likely be destined to the singer and there is a strong chance that the mic will create high feedback with the monitor. In case you move around too, you'll get the coolest effect of low feedback with the system speakers. So, unless you KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING, forget it.

wow! that was really fecking specific !!

JJdawg690
10-25-2004, 06:11 PM
anyone here know how to scream like Demon Hunter?

Rolé
10-28-2004, 04:34 AM
SMoke cigarette man. it will practice your diaphram breathing...

Faust
10-28-2004, 07:49 AM

"Dude", I use powerful mics, and it works just fine for me. So unless you've actually tried something, stop flaming people about mentioning it.

Fliptopsy
10-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Faust
"Dude", I use powerful mics, and it works just fine for me. So unless you've actually tried something, stop flaming people about mentioning it.

Why don't you come out of the forest, Mr. Demon, and realize that not everyone has the benefit of ideal conditions. What band do you play in?

noside
10-28-2004, 11:35 AM
let's talk about singing...i don't need help arguing, just singing...

Remebol
10-29-2004, 04:47 PM
i want to sing stair way to heaven real good. any tips?

iamrulian
10-29-2004, 11:07 PM
I"m just wondering if i'm hitting the notes cause i have no idea, i put up a song (knockin on heavends door original rendition) at my pathetic attempt at singing rulian.dmusic.com, take a listen plz, if you have any tips, if you can here if i'm flat or sharp of totally off plz let me know

Faust
10-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Why don't you come out of the forest, Mr. Demon, and realize that not everyone has the benefit of ideal conditions. What band do you play in?

I never said that everybody has the equipmennt/conditions to do it, but they'll never know unless they give it a shot will they. And this happens to be a thread on singing techniques, not equipment, so please take your arrogance somewhere else.

SRVGuitarFreak
10-30-2004, 11:34 PM
Is it possible to hit all the notes on key and still sound bad?

SingingSabre
10-31-2004, 05:25 AM
SRV: Yes. That would deal with tone.

iamrulian
10-31-2004, 10:49 PM
good question how do you tell if tone, note, or both are out of tune?

SingingSabre
11-01-2004, 12:38 AM
Well, tone cannot be out of tune. It might not sound palatable, but it could be in tune/key. Kind of like Britney Spears imho, she sings on key, but the tone sucks.

iamrulian
11-01-2004, 10:42 AM
how does one tell if we are on key. ex.. I try playing knockin on heavens door in G (dillans original version) but i have no idea if my voice is in G, should it be in g? dunno, i have versions of it up at rulian.dmusic.com if anybody wants to listen and lemme know what i'm doing wrong

SingingSabre
11-01-2004, 01:30 PM
iamrulian, you will know the same way if your guitar is off key. You'll be able to hear it.

Very rarely will someone be singing sharp, so if you feel out of key, you're most likely flat.

SRVGuitarFreak
11-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Hey SingingSabre, is there any way to know if ur tone is off other than just listening? Cause i dont' really know by listening whether it was good or bad.

fishboneul03
11-01-2004, 11:59 PM
tone is like...the difference between distortion and clean guitars. its all a matter of taste what tone is good. generally speaking if your voice sounds boring and lifeless its your tone.

SingingSabre
11-02-2004, 12:52 AM
SRV: record yourself and listen. I assume you already read http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/singing_part_2.html.

Just play with different embouchers until you find what suits you the best. It's just like playing guitar until your style develops.

SRVGuitarFreak
11-03-2004, 04:32 PM
so are you saying tone with a voice is like guitar, some people may think it's good while others dislike it??

Also in Singing Part 2, i think it was, you talked about the soft pallet, and i didn't really understand how you know if it's open alot or more closed, and does it matter whether it is open or closed? Like is Open good, while closed is bad, or vice versa, or is it just differnet sound for each.

SingingSabre
11-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Open soft palates are good in opera, somewhat open are good in jazz, anywhere from open to closed is good in all other kinds of music. It all depends on how you want your sound to...well...sound like.

Pinch your nose shut. Now talk normally. Unplug your nose. Snort. Talking normally with a pinched nose and snorting are ways of finding out how an open soft palate feels.

It's really just another tool to help shape the tone you want. Just like a pickup you can install on your guitar, use it as you want.

And yes, different people like different tones. :)

SingingSabre
11-04-2004, 02:34 AM
If anyone is interested, I just submitted Part 3 of my singing articles.

SRVGuitarFreak
11-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Sweet! I've been looking for it the past week or so, haha.

XxDasHConfessxX
11-04-2004, 11:40 AM
i am told by my friends that i am quite a good singer, but i just cant reach high enough notes. Liam Gallagher style stuff is what im trying to get to, he doesnt even seem to be trying and he gets some good high tones, i can get there sometimes, but not others. any help how to solidify the high notes?

SingingSabre
11-04-2004, 01:51 PM
DasH, the best way to practice getting higher notes is to sing along with songs which go almost as high as you can, then a bit higher, then higher, etc.

Play some scales on your guitar and sing along. Start low and go progressively higher.

Remember, everyone has a different vocal range. That's why there are different sections in choirs, for good reason.

SRVGuitarFreak
11-04-2004, 01:57 PM
My lowest range is either a E or D, (open 6th string on guitar, or tuned down 1 step). And my highest, is about D (2nd string, 3rd fret) before my voice swicthed to a whiny, thin and not powerful voice, (not sure what to call it). Does this mean I am a Baritone, becaue high notes are really hard for me, or does my range so suck big.

SingingSabre
11-05-2004, 03:19 AM
SRV: sounds like you're a strong baritone from the range you described.

Just wanna remind everyone in the Northern Hemisphere: Winter's here, plug in your humidifiers! It'll help keep you healthy and in singing shape!

SRVGuitarFreak
11-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Do i need to try to extend my upper range some more?

SingingSabre
11-05-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm always working on extending and maintaining my upper range. If you want to, give it a go.

Gosh...I'm such a choir-freak...and I'm not even in a choir anymore.

SRVGuitarFreak
11-05-2004, 04:43 PM
As far as extending ur range, do you just do scales or sing something that is to high for you, untill it comes?

noside
11-05-2004, 05:25 PM
where are these singing articles plz sabre... i'd really like to read them...

iamrulian
11-05-2004, 11:02 PM
I have a quesiton on how to sing the actuall words, i'm trying to sing dave matthew's crash into me, my friend who konws how to sing figured out the scale of his voice in that song. I can match the notes on the scale, but the i'm chaningng the notes with the words. ex, the first two words go YOU GOT, both in B, and Your in C#, So how do I say you got both in B, do i have to change the pitch on both to hit the same note?

muffheus
11-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Im in a band and im the singer and lead guitarist(yes just like children of bodom) And im pretty happy with my voice's sound, but im having a hard time improving my range (with my singing voice) and almost after every show i loose my falasetto voice and sometimes my natural voice. I been told i sound likke a mix of dave mustaine(megadeth) and alexi laiho(children of bodom)
ANY TIPS WOULD BE APPRECIATED BIG TIME

SingingSabre
11-06-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by noside
where are these singing articles plz sabre... i'd really like to read them...

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/singing_part_1.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/singing_part_2.html
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/singing_part_3.html

SingingSabre
11-06-2004, 01:34 AM
Muff, you're oversinging. Back off. Turn the mic up a bit.

iamrulian
11-06-2004, 06:28 PM
okay, singingbrabre, i have a question, i'm trying to learn to sing dave matthews crash into me, i thing i got the voice progression of B, C#, B, E, G#, A, B, and am trying to hit the notes with my voice. I have a sound byte up at http://rulian.dmusic.com i'd appreciate you or anyone take a quick listen and tell me how i'm doing

liad_de
11-08-2004, 01:02 PM
hi, i need some help:1- where can i find free plug-ins for vocal
2- which frequency should i choose for getting the clean and most profession sound- in the equliser.
thanks for reading and i hope that you can help me- by...

SingingSabre
11-08-2004, 07:37 PM
iamrulian, I'll check that out later today when I get home. I just wanted to post so you don't think I'm ignoring you. :cheers:

iamrulian
11-08-2004, 09:17 PM
singingsabre, i dont have it on rulian.dmusic.com anymore, i moved it somewhere less public, http://artistan.lostinrulian.com/soundbitecrash.mp3

SingingSabre
11-09-2004, 12:27 AM
iamrulian: I think you're trying too hard to match pitches in the beginning. Relax and back off the note a little, you'll find it.

Right after "tied to me tight, tight" you fall flat. Try to keep the energy up while keeping your voice soft, it's one of the hardest things to do.

EDIT: It's at the word "friend" when you go off the most.
At "sweet like candy" you get back on key.
You go off key at "Sweet you roll".
Nice save on "come into you" :cheers:

I see the problem here. When you drop down a few steps, you go too far. When you go up steps, you hit it perfectly.

Try to trim up how far down you go when you go back down from the higher melody notes. I think the most effective method of this for you would be to think you're going higher while you go lower. It's tricky to feel that, but you can get it. If you have any more questions, ask.

noside
11-09-2004, 11:31 AM
singing sabre... i just wanted to let you know i think you're awesome plus hopefully maybe i'll actually record myself (i suck) and you can critique it personally but for now your tips are helping...

one question... is using your soft palet something we neglect to do and the plugging your nose and practicing it just helps us learn to use it???

SingingSabre
11-09-2004, 01:10 PM
Noside, you got it. Some people use their soft palate without realizing it, others don't.

travel sized
11-09-2004, 07:41 PM
hey, i sing in my band, and i guess i'm getting better with more practice, but i have one question. how do you get a gravely sound to your voice? not really gravely, just kind of like a little.....sorry if i'm not making sense. but just some way of sounding a bit gravely without hurting my voice too much, and staying on key. any ideas? or is it just something you have to be born with

Diminishedfaith
11-09-2004, 08:04 PM
smoke and drink, basically the rock and roll lifestyle. sex wouldnt hurt either ;)

if you dont mind the smokers cough, bad liver and std's that is....

nah, you can develop it....

travel sized
11-09-2004, 09:52 PM
^^i like how you think....but any other ways that aren't illegal (for me)? i wanna be signed before i die. or atleast put out a demo...

Diminishedfaith
11-09-2004, 10:06 PM
lol, illegal for me as well, plus i hate cigarettes, just strech your voice so to speak, growl or somthing to get it low and raspy then bring it up a bit to a gravely type sound like you say

noside
11-10-2004, 01:18 AM
yeah, plz keep the advice coming whenever you can sabre...so is the technique you explained with the soft palet the best to do and is it natural for some parts to still sound nasally???

SingingSabre
11-10-2004, 02:36 AM
Travel_sized, you're going to want to learn how to make the growel in the back of your throat.

I'll see if I can load a sample of it later on.

noside: find the tone you like best. I only mentioned the soft palate to give another tool.

iamrulian
11-10-2004, 03:56 PM
ok thanks singingsabre, i'll practise some more and try it again later

noside
11-11-2004, 02:59 AM
sabre oh sabre... it has been a few rough nights on the singing... there are multiple problems which have been adentified from some people who can sing but unfortunately i don't have the money for lessons... before i send you a clip i'll try to explain them here and see if you can help... thank you so much for everything btw... i sing while playing the piano so i have that as a tool for pitch if needed just to let you know...

1) I have a tendancy to be slightly flat.
2) I've been working on breathing deeply how you're supposed to but i'm not always sure when i'm getting the "good sound" from my diaphram. When i have to take a quick breath also the deep breathing thing is hard.
3)Tonight i was frustrated and i think i was trying far too hard(singing fairly loud too) and my throat actually got kinda sore in the back(just a little tingle)... so i started singing really softly and it seemed like i was doing a lot better but the problem is that i don't know if i'm using the same technique when i'm singing this soft because i know i'll have to be able to project it eventually..
4)i tend to scoop from note to note if this is indeed what they call it. Songs where i know the exact melody and can play it on piano (eg. "the scientist" by coldplay") i sound ok on after some practice but others i kinda waiver around the note...

if you can reply thank you so much and i'll try to record something as this will be the best critique...

travel sized
11-13-2004, 12:20 AM
thanks for the advice SingingSabre. it'd be cool if you could load an example though, as i'm kind of confused.

Se7en
11-14-2004, 09:23 PM
i recorded myself singing and i seem to hit the right notes and stuff but i sound like a little bit of the sound is coming through my nose or something...like my nose is plugged but it isn't...
how do you stop this?

SingingSabre
11-15-2004, 02:44 AM
sabre oh sabre... it has been a few rough nights on the singing... there are multiple problems which have been adentified from some people who can sing but unfortunately i don't have the money for lessons... before i send you a clip i'll try to explain them here and see if you can help... thank you so much for everything btw... i sing while playing the piano so i have that as a tool for pitch if needed just to let you know...

1) I have a tendancy to be slightly flat.
That's a problem almost all singers cope with daily. You need more energy, not volume necessarily, in your voice. Imagine you're stepping up a ladder, you don't want to bump into the next rung with your foot, you want to get on top of the rung. Your voice is the foot, the note is your ladder.
2) I've been working on breathing deeply how you're supposed to but i'm not always sure when i'm getting the "good sound" from my diaphram. When i have to take a quick breath also the deep breathing thing is hard.
You don't have to have every breath be so deep. You can even only partially pressurize the breaths. Keep practicing, it'll become second nature.
3)Tonight i was frustrated and i think i was trying far too hard(singing fairly loud too) and my throat actually got kinda sore in the back(just a little tingle)... so i started singing really softly and it seemed like i was doing a lot better but the problem is that i don't know if i'm using the same technique when i'm singing this soft because i know i'll have to be able to project it eventually..
Be careful of oversinging. Projection is more than just volume. A full tone will project farther than a shallow tone. You can sing softly and still have full tone. Find your niche. It's not easy, but it's there.
4)i tend to scoop from note to note if this is indeed what they call it. Songs where i know the exact melody and can play it on piano (eg. "the scientist" by coldplay") i sound ok on after some practice but others i kinda waiver around the note...
This ties in with question 1. :)

It's my pleasure. :cheers:

Se7en:
Read my article here http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/singing_part_2.html and check out the part about resonance. That should answer your question well.

:)

DT_Master
11-15-2004, 04:00 AM
i dont know much about singing, but i saw my friend cough blood, just because he's trying to scream in his higest pitch....
so be carefull.

but i have a question..., is it bad for my voice if im drinkin much beer, vodka & that stuff :cheers: :

BMAN12688
11-15-2004, 12:12 PM
In my opinion as a singer and guitarist, drinking tends to effect certain people's singing. smoking is clearly terrible since it destroys your throat yada yada. Saw a band the other day where a lad was singing and smoking and god i wanted to bash him in the face so bad. they sucked because of his terrible tonality....

couple things:
-drink tea, its the best thing for you
-warm up with some simple scales before a gig and such
-screaming hurts your chords because it makes you use your oxygen so much, it hurts your vocal chords (thus becoming lightheaded, headaches cuz your putting to much pressure)
-milk is poo, and we don't like poo so don't use milk before a gig
-singing along to the radio everyday is good practice
-if you get soar throat before a gig and you wanna get rid of it quickly, grab some salt, some warm water, and gargle. the old fashion way and it works
-if your still having trouble with your range, talk with you chorus teacher in school, or get some lessons
-also, inward singing hurts your vocals to. unless you get used to it (tenacious d - inward singing)

PM me guys if you want any other info, i'll do wat I can. um...if you want my "music resume" lol you can have it? i guess?

oh yeah sabre, i sent the list of artists to you..did ya get it?

noside
11-15-2004, 07:20 PM
thx so much sabre... your saving lifes out here...

BMAN12688
11-15-2004, 07:30 PM
lol, why does your singing kill people? hope not lol

SingingSabre
11-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Black tea is not good for your throat. It will dehydrate you and the heat can be detrimental. Green tea, usually drinken at a cooler temperature than black tea, is good for your throat and voice. It has a cooler effect (in Chinese medicine, black tea heats up your body, green tea cools it) and will dehydrate you less, although still a bit.

Warm ups are great. :)

I can't confirm or deny your bit about screaming. I do know when I hold a note too long and too loud in opera I get very dizzy, though. I do not know the physiological reason, though. I imagine some sort of hypoventilation.

Milk in moderation never hurt anyone. Just don't consume a copious amount before you have to go on. I still eat dairy before I sing. I find that the little bit of phlegm dairy creates helps me last longer.

Gargling with salt water is great for sore throats. Make sure to drink LOTS of room temperature water after it, though. Salt water will dehydrate your throat.
The best cure for a sore throat is prevention. :) Not always the most possible thing, though.

Inward singing won't do anything to you, sorry BMAN. It's still air passing over your vocal cords. Technically, there's more chance of getting debris in your throat (i.e. a passing insect) but that's a tiny probability.

I got the list. Thanks! I'm reviewing the ones I don't know just to confirm it all. I really appreciate that.

ADDENDUM: Alcohol, ALL alcohol, acts as a diuretic. Not good for your voice. Beer, vodka, wine, tequila, everclear, grappa, etc.

rhcpcure2826
11-19-2004, 05:06 PM
OK, this is a 4-month old sticky; can it please be pruned? or at least cleared of unnecessary posts? (including this one)

ReportAsPhuck
11-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Just because it's old doesn't mean that it's not helpful. And it's not like it isn't being used. The last (really helpful) post was 4 days ago, so it's still seeing some interest...

guitaristdave
11-20-2004, 07:44 PM
iv been told that i need to sing in tune with the song . . . . what does this mean ?

in key ?

what is the key of the vocals ?

SingingSabre
11-20-2004, 08:03 PM
The key of the vocals should be the same key the music is in.

Singing "out of tune" means that you're singing in a different key or you're singing the wrong notes. Usually, people tend to drift flat vocally.
Try visualizing going over the notes, rather than rising to the note. That usually helps me.

SRVGuitarFreak
11-20-2004, 09:33 PM
What is Inward singing.

SingingSabre
11-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Inward singing is where you make words and sounds while breathing in, instead of breathing out. Nothing of consequence.

travel sized
11-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Hey SingingSabre, if i'm out of tune with the song cause i'm singing in a different key, if i get the key of the song to the key i'm singing it, it's good right?

SingingSabre
11-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Yes. :)

travel sized
11-20-2004, 11:39 PM
thank you. could i ask you a favor? if you get the chance, go to my Dmusic and listen to either stupid kid or Anarchy in the UK and maybe just tell me some things i could do to improve my voice. thanks

SingingSabre
11-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Travel, you're really flat in your song. Of course, that is half the idea, eh?

That's really all I can say. You have the right idea. Try a little more snarl in your voice at "Wanna beeeeeeee."

:) I dug it.

P.S. This was about your cover of "Anarchy in the UK" if you didn't get that already. :cheers:

EDIT: Your voice generally tends to fall flat. This is actually really common. Just try to stay on top of the note, rather than in the middle of it. Also, try to put more energy in your voice.

travel sized
11-26-2004, 11:30 PM
thank you so much Sabre :cheers:

SingingSabre
11-29-2004, 03:01 AM
In case anyone wants to know, I submitted part 4 of my singing articles. It's a long one.

Duff_McGee
11-30-2004, 12:57 AM
Kind of an awkard question, but..

I think I'm going to "sing" in my band until we can find a singer.
So what my question is what can I do to make my voice to sound more like James Hetfield on "Ride The Lightning", it has just the type of singing would go well with my band

SingingSabre
11-30-2004, 01:11 AM
Duff, could you get a clip of you singing it?

EDIT: Preferrably, the clip would be of you going all out as if there was an audience in front of you.

Duff_McGee
11-30-2004, 01:31 AM
Duff, could you get a clip of you singing it?

EDIT: Preferrably, the clip would be of you going all out as if there was an audience in front of you.

I would, but dad is EXTREMELY paranoid about computer, and freaked out when I tried to hook up a microphone, so no luck... :(

But what I mainly trying to go for is the way James sings on the first track "Fight Fire With Fire", that growlish type singing is cool.. :bonk:

SingingSabre
11-30-2004, 01:44 AM
Wait a few days for my Singing Part 4 column to come out. I describe how to sing "screaming." It's the same as growling but with more volume.

I just don't have the energy to think of how to describe it right now, sorry.

Duff_McGee
11-30-2004, 02:03 AM
Wait a few days for my Singing Part 4 column to come out. I describe how to sing "screaming." It's the same as growling but with more volume.

I just don't have the energy to think of how to describe it right now, sorry.

Looking forward. :cheers:

ScarredFaith
12-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Sabre, quick question. I'm fifteen, I have a two octave range, will this increase in time? Or do I have to train it manually? I'd really love a third octave.

SingingSabre
12-01-2004, 10:59 PM
Train it. It could come with age, but it'll be better if you train. Go slowly.

ScarredFaith
12-01-2004, 11:33 PM
How do I train it?

PS. I took singing lessons for awhile, but the guy never taught me what I wanted to learn so I dropped out. I gained the tone I wanted from singing to music all day. My ear isn't bad, so i have a good control over my voice. Stupid limitation is my range :)