pitch correction

PDA

View Full Version : pitch correction

ghavelus
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
hi there i heard about a program that corrects a bit your singing but i didn't like how does it sound, i want to ask if there are other software for this? and which is the best...?

Eclectia
06-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Its called Talentless Hack 2.0. If you can't sing on pitch then you need practice, not software.

MattsRichardson
06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
There are many programs like this (Auto-tune probably being the most well known...but it kinda sucks)
Melodyne is the best one that i have seen to accomplish this however its pretty spendy.
but there is really no substitute for actually being able to sing, cuz it doesnt always sound realistic

ASITHOS
06-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Its called Talentless Hack 2.0. If you can't sing on pitch then you need practice, not software.
This is not The Pit, sir. You don't have to be a terrible singer to need pitch-correction.

On topic, I'm not sure which is best (I've never used it personally/in my home studio recordings), but I've heard some people say good things about Antares Auto-Tune. Of course other people say that it blows, I guess it's really up to you to decide. You might want to search around and see what others there are. :cheers:

ghavelus
06-23-2009, 03:02 PM

i don't even know how to sing haha i'm guitarrist.

yeah auto tune that's the software i watch but i didn't like it ,it sound like a cher song

any other software?

CatharsisStudio
06-23-2009, 04:40 PM
auto tune doesn't sound like cher if you know what you are doing.

Sid McCall
06-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah I've found that Auto-Tune is easier to get to sound normal than to get that T-Pain effect. I mean, once you figure out the robot thing it's easy to get there again but it really does sound totally normal when you get it right. I've had some great results with the program.

Alex Vik
06-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, T-Pain invented it, so you can get a link to it from his Wikipedia. It's something like Anteras Auto-Tune or something. You still have to be pretty close to correct pitch for it to work I think (I've got a cracked version running with Audacity, so the real version on a better software might work better), otherwise, you'll get different notes than you wanted.

Sid McCall
06-23-2009, 10:58 PM
^ I'm pretty sure he didn't INVENT it, but I'm gonna go look that up right now. That would be very interesting. He's an incredible singer without the program though, look it up youtube!

Edit:
Auto-Tune was initially created by Andy Hildebrand. Hildebrand realized the work that he did on seismic data exploration was applicable to detecting pitch.

T-Pain brought it back to the forefront of pop and turned it into an instrument instead of an aide.

linus.d
06-24-2009, 07:06 PM
there is a free (and good should I add) pitch-correction VST plug, but I can't remember the name :facepalm:

I'll tell you when I've found it

Eclectia
06-25-2009, 01:30 AM
:facepalm:

ebon00
06-25-2009, 02:39 AM
auto tune doesn't sound like cher if you know what you are doing.

+1. There's nothing inherently wrong with Auto Tune, it's just that most people have never worked with it properly. First off, the "auto" mode is crap because it's much too dependent on a performance that's relatively stable in pitch and that's hardly ever the case. To get good and fairly transparent results you have to work in graphic mode. This is time-consuming but it works.

Same thing goes for Melodyne which I personally like better; I think it's slightly easier to work in and has a better-sounding algorithm but that's just me. These days you can actually get very good results using the pitch correction available in Cubase and ProTools.

T-Pain uses pitch correction in a very musical way, and really does, like Sid McCall said, use it more as an instrument. It takes really excellent pitch, just not the pitch you want it to sound like on the finished product, to be able to sing just off enough for the pitch correction to work like he makes it.

TheDriller
06-25-2009, 07:00 AM
there is a free (and good should I add) pitch-correction VST plug, but I can't remember the name :facepalm:

I'll tell you when I've found it

Gsnap?

linus.d
06-25-2009, 07:47 AM
Gsnap?

yes! :cheers:

take_it_t
06-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Auto Tune doesn't suck if one, the singing doesn't suck to begin with, and two, it's used sparingly, usually works best if it's done on a word by word, sometimes syllable by syllable basis.

Martyr's Prayer
06-25-2009, 07:03 PM
I know it's been said already, but seriously dude do yourself a favor and don't use autotune of any kind. You aren't a professional studio that needs to be able to record anybody with money. You know what you're capable of and you have time to work on it if it isn't up to snuff. You know what people hear in your recordings? What you put into the mic. Everything in between is just icing on the cake. And sometimes very awful icing that would have been better left off. Sometimes amazing icing that tastes awesome. Point is, none of it matters if the cake is no good.

Carl6661
06-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Auto Tune doesn't suck if one, the singing doesn't suck to begin with, and two, it's used sparingly, usually works best if it's done on a word by word, sometimes syllable by syllable basis.

This.

Autotune wankery is just annoying, for the most part. Although, if done suttley, like take_it_t said, it dosen't really fuss me. heck, most of the time just to touch up stuff, if it's done properly - isn't even noticeable.