The Raincoats

PDA

View Full Version : The Raincoats

Gnomefry
06-24-2009, 06:18 PM
I figured this would be the best place for this thread, since the Raincoats are post punk. Anyway, I got the self-titled album a while ago, and I really enjoyed it, they're a great band. Anyone else like them? I thought it was interesting that Palmolive, the drummer got her name from a conversation with the Clash's Paul Simonon, who couldn't pronounce her name. :) It's pretty much impossible to find their tabs... :shrug:

420sequel
06-24-2009, 06:34 PM
I ordered that album from Rough Trade a few years ago. Great band.

mbbmalcolm
06-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Really great band. I love their cover of Lola.

yeahyeah
06-25-2009, 04:27 AM
About time they get some recognition

Gnomefry
10-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Thread Revival!!

The Raincoats self titled is being reissued on October 13th. :D I feel really bad for someone that ordered it at the over $100 price, when it was discontinued. It's going for around $15 now.

They are also touring in America, and are one of the headliners at the upcoming Part Time Punks Festival on the 11th. Anyone going?

bennyshambles78
03-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm actually a rather new member to all of this and I was just about to post a couple of Raincoats songs I've figured out, "Off Duty Trip" and "Black and White." This will be bass and guitar tabs. I'm also working on some other tunes from the self-titled album and the "Fairytale in a Supermarket" single, so keep checking in. If you have any requests, I'd be glad to give anything a shot. I specialize in Post-Punk/Rough Trade bands like This Heat, The Pop Group, The Fall, early Scritti Politti, Delta 5, etc. so anything goes really. The web is sorely lacking in accurate--if any--tablature for good "underground" music, so I hope to remedy that as much as one person can. One of the bands I was in actually recorded a Raincoats cover, "Only Loved at Night" off of Odyshape, so I'm pretty confident and faithful. Cheers!

iwannabesedated
03-12-2012, 10:46 PM
As one of those people that finds out what Kurt Cobain liked and immediately looks the band up, I like the Raincoats.

They're the type of band I usually don't like too, but I find their music really cool. Not sure why.

charliezard!
03-13-2012, 03:38 AM
One time I saw a girl with a Racounteurs shirt, and after glancing at it, I thought it said The Raincoaters, which made sense to me because I couldn't remember if this band was called Raincoats or Raincoaters. Anyway, I was like "OHH You like the Raincoaters?? That's cool!" and then I walked away. Later that day, I saw that her shirt actually said Racounteurs but I was too embarrassed to explain the situation to her. I'm stupid.

neidnarb11890
03-13-2012, 12:43 PM
I've spun the s/t a couple of times, it's alright. I also have Odyshape, but haven't listened to it yet.

And that's about all I have to say about that.

lolmnt
03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
I like them alright.

gary2411
03-15-2012, 05:30 AM
The Raincoats are a British post-punk band. Ana da Silva (vocals, guitar) and Gina Birch (vocals, bass) formed the group in 1977 while they were students at Hornsey College of Art, London, England.
The line-up included Ross Crighton on guitar and Nick Turner on drums for the bandís first gig on 9 November 1977. Kate Korus, from The Slits and later The Mo-dettes, joined briefly but was replaced by Jeremie Frank.

jakesmellspoo
03-15-2012, 05:14 PM
why'd that bot get banned? he clearly only wants to help inform us about things and stuff.