can cold weather affect your guitar?

PDA

View Full Version : can cold weather affect your guitar?

malaysia_mari
06-25-2009, 10:40 AM
its about 8-9 degrees here. and i heard people tell me if the weather is cold, it could **** your guitar because it will contract a few things. is this true?

TomD03
06-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Long exposure to extreme temperatures, hot or cold, can have a negative effect on your instrument. It can warp, crack or expand the wood depending on which extreme it's exposed to. Mostly it's direct exposure to these conditions that screws with the guitar (bass) and its neck/body (more often neck). If you're transporting it and it's in sub-zero weather, make sure you take it out of the vehicle you're travelling in when you reach your destination, because if you leave it in there it's almost surely ****ed. If you're walking have a good, insulated case.

capslockisnton
06-25-2009, 11:03 AM
also, what's the humidity like in your area?

tubatom868686
06-25-2009, 11:08 AM
Climate change will affect your instrument. The greater the change, the more serious the affect. This can mean rise and falls in both temp and humidity.

TANKER69
06-25-2009, 01:26 PM
if you go from one temperature to the opposite it will knock you out of tune

John Swift
06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
I spent three months in Cyprus last summer and then returned to the UK, no adverse effects whatsoever to either of the Basses (Stingray5/G7L L2500).
The myth is as big as the one about the 60s drug scene.

telecastrmastr
06-25-2009, 06:50 PM
I spent three months in Cyprus last summer and then returned to the UK, no adverse effects whatsoever to either of the Basses (Stingray5/G7L L2500).
The myth is as big as the one about the 60s drug scene.
but in the 60s....there...were... :confused:

thefitz
06-25-2009, 06:51 PM
When the weather gets humid, the wood expands and necks straighten, meaning you need to loosen your truss rod. When weather gets dry, the wood contracts and necks bow, meaning you need to tighten the truss rod. Typically people associate humid with hot and dry with cold but that is not always the case.

malaysia_mari
06-26-2009, 12:43 AM
its not really humid here... its just freakin cold. but i just play in my room, so i was wondering whether cold weather can have an effect indoors?

patticake
06-26-2009, 02:12 AM
i seriously doubt it's as cold in your room as it is outside :rolleyes:

its not really humid here... its just freakin cold. but i just play in my room, so i was wondering whether cold weather can have an effect indoors?

John Swift
06-26-2009, 04:34 AM
Unless the instrument is at the lower end of the market and is therefore made from Unseasoned Timber it is unlikely to be affected too much due to the seasnining making the wood stable.
Extreme conditions will eventualy affect any instrument but this would be over quite some period of time

toyboxmonster
06-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Just get it a nice warm scarf and make it some chicken soup once in a while and it'll be fine.

wouldyakindly
06-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I doubt this should do any damage in the short term, so just keep it somewhere relatively warm. However, cold weather will probably effect your playing ability somewhat, as your fingers are inevitably more stiff.

thefitz
06-27-2009, 01:22 AM
No, only the relative humidity of the atmosphere makes a difference.