Dead Kennedys

PDA

View Full Version : Dead Kennedys

JohnnyBlunders
06-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Ok, I respect them and all, (mainly Jello) but does anyone else think that they kind of are overrated? My personal opinion is that they were not very good. I feel that East Bay Ray was a great guitarist (sellout) and Jello had an "entertaining" voice. Basically the musicianship was nice, the lyrics not to bad, but I feel they just got boring too quickly. Anyone else agree?

charliezard!
06-26-2009, 09:06 PM
I like 'em despite the fact that I haven't properly listened to them since 9th grade or so. I remember not like Fresh Fruit much. Plastic Surgery Disasters had crazy energy though. I always preferred that one.

RockThe40oz
06-26-2009, 09:09 PM
I think we all just listened to them way too much at some point in our punk careers and now don't care about them too much.

I think they're a good band to have in your music library so you hear a song once in a while when you shuffle your entire collection.

TommyRamone!
06-26-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't think they're overrated at all. Jello wrote the most amazing lyrics, and Ray is an awesome guitarist. Fresh Fruit and Plastic Surgery / In God We Trust are great albums, they have so much energy.

Adam_Harrison9
06-26-2009, 09:49 PM
The Dead Kennedys are legends. End thread.

JohnnyBlunders
06-26-2009, 09:58 PM
The Dead Kennedys are legends. End thread.

Ahem, that is not a VALID opinion. You dont just say they are good and that is it. I will admit they are all good, the music is good, but they get boring to quick. I know everyone goes through a DK stage, and then overdo it and never like them again, but still. They bore me.

Greenfinger182
06-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that was an opinion...

Adam_Harrison9
06-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Ahem, that is not a VALID opinion. You dont just say they are good and that is it. I will admit they are all good, the music is good, but they get boring to quick. I know everyone goes through a DK stage, and then overdo it and never like them again, but still. They bore me.

Eh? So they're not legends? What?

Tempoe
06-26-2009, 10:49 PM
They are good IMO. They have one of the best names ever though.

charliezard!
06-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Eh? So they're not legends? What?

Nah. Too many bands were doing what they were doing at the time. And as far as hardcore punk bands, they weren't the best. You can't just call every decent band a legend.

Captain Insano
06-26-2009, 11:09 PM
I don't think they are overrated, in the least. Jello is great performer and writes some of the most interesting and thoughtful lyrics. East Bay Ray is good guitarist and has a very unique sound.

I think any thoughts of them being overrated comes from there more recent activity. The band doing the god-awful tour without Jello, a few of there more popular tunes being introduced and overplayed by the Guitar-Hero crowd. In they're hayday they earned every ounce of respect they have.

werty22
06-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Nah. Too many bands were doing what they were doing at the time. And as far as hardcore punk bands, they weren't the best. You can't just call every decent band a legend.
Are you being sarcastic or something? They were really different from their contemporaries. And I wouldn't really call them a hardcore band.

I think this is a pretty dumb thread. The topic is basically "I kind of like this band for which there are already quite a few threads, but I don't like them that much."

charliezard!
06-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Are you being sarcastic or something? They were really different from their contemporaries. And I wouldn't really call them a hardcore band.

I think this is a pretty dumb thread. The topic is basically "I kind of like this band for which there are already quite a few threads, but I don't like them that much."

Yeah, I guess so. I probably shouldn't have said that. But I would definitely call them a hardcore band. They fit in pretty well. I did really like their second album, but after that, I couldn't really get into them. They kinda became a parody of themselves by the end though, if you ask me.

hardrock1315
06-27-2009, 01:34 AM
In my opinion, they're okay. Nowhere near the best 80's hardcore band. They have some good songs and a bunch of ****ty ones, too.

Also, East Bay Ray is really not that good at guitar. At all. Even the solo on "Pull My Strings," which a lot of people point out as proof of his skill, is pretty ****. I find that D.H. Peligro and Klaus Flouride are much better at their instruments.

neidnarb11890
06-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Stop lying to yourselves, guy. Dead Kennedys are the best '80s hardcore band. Check out East Bay Ray's licks on Plastic Surgery Disasters. You call that being not that good at guitar? That **** is pure genius!

kayaress one
06-27-2009, 02:58 AM
I come back from bannation and I see my favorite band being insulted?

I WILL NOT HA...
nevermind. old meme is old.

But seriously, I love the Dead Kennedys. I can honestly say that Jello some of the strongest lyrics I've heard to date, and they offer so much variety, musically, compared to alot of '80's hardcore bands.

Noah!!
06-27-2009, 04:27 AM
I absolutely love them... but like any band I went through my phase with them and right now I'm listening to other stuff, but I'll gladly go back and listen to them any day... I love Jello, he has amazing lyrics and he also has some of stellar work with the Melvins, Nomeansno and DOA

TV-Casualty
06-27-2009, 05:10 AM
They are one of my favorite bands ever. Jello writes some killer lyrics and delivers them with passion, the band has overwhelming energy. On top of that they have a really unique sound, and east bay ray is a great guitarist. I love them.

axeslash
06-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Ahem, that is not a VALID opinion. You dont just say they are good and that is it. I will admit they are all good, the music is good, but they get boring to quick. I know everyone goes through a DK stage, and then overdo it and never like them again, but still. They bore me.Let me demonstrate what just happened here so I can clearly illustrate to you the problems in this post.

Adam Harrison: Declaration of opinion, clearly hyperbolic and sarcastic in nature.
JohnnyBlunders: Declaration that Adam Harrison's opinion is invalid, due to JohnnyBlunders' inability to comprehend sarcasm or see other people's opinion as valid, possibly both. Restating of original opinion. Expanding of original opinion.

Not to mention your original post is just you saying you don't like the band but giving the concession that you like them a little bit so you don't sound like such a prick saying "I hate this band completely."

You know, you would sure learn an awful lot if you didn't take your narrow life experiences and opinions and extrapolate them to be the same for every single person. It would help even more if you wouldn't correct people for not sharing your opinion.

I love DK threads, since no one can ever just fucking dislike this band or let them be classified as hardcore. Just listen to them as a band and forget the circumstances of their existence and enjoy.

BrianApocalypse
06-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Probably the only band I've listened to for 10 years and never fallen out of favour with.

Adarsh
06-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Probably the only band I've listened to for 10 years and never fallen out of favour with.

word.

mastaofrocknrol
06-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Great Lyrics, Great energy, Great Voice, Great Guitar, Great Bass, Great Drum, Great Albums, Great gigs= Great Band

Donovant22
06-27-2009, 12:59 PM
The Dead Kennedys are amazing. Probably the best US punk band ever. California Uberalles all the way to Chicken**** Conformist they were great.

Too bad they hate each other so much they never and will never get back together.

Donovant22
06-27-2009, 01:00 PM
Also, probably the only good band during the early 80s.

RockThe40oz
06-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Also, probably the only good band during the early 80s.
You clearly know nothing about early 80s punk rock.

JohnnyBlunders
06-27-2009, 01:35 PM
The Dead Kennedys are amazing. Probably the best US punk band ever. California Uberalles all the way to Chicken**** Conformist they were great.

Too bad they hate each other so much they never and will never get back together.

I will CHOOSE to not even acknowledge that one. Or, I will! California Uberalles? Really? No others songs pop out? Maybe Jock-o-Rama, or anything else on Fresh? And best US punk band? Have you heard late 70's punk, the BEST era for punk? (debatable) I will admit that they are talented, like i already have, :rolleyes: But they never bore you? You never find yourself wanting something else, after listening to DK for a long time? I am sorry, after that phase, I really do not like them very much anymore.

Ahem, 80's? Minutemen, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, A Minor Threat, even SLF bridged into to the 80's (as did NEARLY all late 70's bands, because bands dont just disband at the end of a decade.)

mastaofrocknrol
06-27-2009, 03:29 PM
^also add Anthrax Uk, Subhumans, Oi Polloi (not sure if they were 80`s but they kick bloody ass :p: ), Zounds and plenty other great punk Bands

axeslash
06-27-2009, 05:35 PM
The more JohnnyBlunders posts the more I hate him.

werty22
06-27-2009, 06:02 PM
^Did you guys continue that argument (from the Anti-Flag thread) through PMs or did one of you CHICKEN OUT?

Donovant22
06-27-2009, 06:40 PM
I will CHOOSE to not even acknowledge that one. Or, I will! California Uberalles? Really? No others songs pop out? Maybe Jock-o-Rama, or anything else on Fresh? And best US punk band? Have you heard late 70's punk, the BEST era for punk? (debatable) I will admit that they are talented, like i already have, :rolleyes: But they never bore you? You never find yourself wanting something else, after listening to DK for a long time? I am sorry, after that phase, I really do not like them very much anymore.

Ahem, 80's? Minutemen, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, A Minor Threat, even SLF bridged into to the 80's (as did NEARLY all late 70's bands, because bands dont just disband at the end of a decade.)

Okay, you missed the point of the songs I chose. California Uberalles was their first single and Chicken**** Conformist was the last good song on their last real album Bedtime for Democracy. Point being good from beginning to end. Duh.

They really don't get old for me. Of course I get bored if I listen to them for a long time but it's the same with EVERY band. There's not a single band I can just sit there and listen to and never, ever get bored. I was never a fan of Black Flag, Circle Jerks are okay, the others I'm not really familiar with. 80s was just an awful, awful decade for everything including music.

werty22
06-27-2009, 06:55 PM
lol, I just noticed JohnnyBlunders called Minor Threat "A Minor Threat."

Gnomefry
06-27-2009, 07:10 PM
I wonder what it would be like had Jello Biafra won the office of mayor of San Francisco. 6,591 voters was pretty good.

acid_eater
06-27-2009, 08:02 PM
they're deadly just my opinion not at all underrated

charliezard!
06-27-2009, 09:05 PM
80s was just an awful, awful decade for everything including music.

You clearly know nothing about early 80s punk rock.

mhm

axeslash
06-27-2009, 11:50 PM
^Did you guys continue that argument (from the Anti-Flag thread) through PMs or did one of you CHICKEN OUT?He told me he was 14 so I feel I was the victor.

JohnnyBlunders
06-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Ha, cocky as usual? Victor? What do you win? Community College and a lack of respect from adults and 14 year olds alike. Nice!

MisspentYouth
06-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Ha, cocky as usual? Victor? What do you win? Community College and a lack of respect from adults and 14 year olds alike. Nice!

Not everyone who goes to a community college is an idiot, for your information. Many do it so they can transfer to a really good school later or they simply can't afford anything else. I go to a community college to finish high school. So, try not to stereotype an entire education class.

So this is not spam: I like the Dead Kennedys.

axeslash
06-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Ha, cocky as usual? Victor? What do you win? Community College and a lack of respect from adults and 14 year olds alike. Nice!Hahahaha, community college jokes.

You'll notice that there are two types of people who make these jokes: assholes who went to a University on their parents money, and people who have never been to college.

So please, continue to make fun of me. I'll feel so bad that a 14 year old is making fun of me for going to community college. You're obviously far more successful than me.

RockThe40oz
06-28-2009, 12:08 AM
Not everybody has financial support from their parents after high school, rich bitch

JohnnyBlunders
06-28-2009, 12:16 AM
HA! Really? The smart people that manage to balance themselves in high school dont get scholarships? I mean if this kid is some sort of gift to us from heaven for his genius, then surely he can grace an ACTUAL college with his presence. I am sorry, misspentyouth, you are right, and that is fair. I shouldnt say community college is bad if you have higher aspirations, but when you talk about being some sort of Einstein in the making, and talk down to people about their intellectuality, I feel as if you could get some state support for at least a small college. And honestly, I am a rich bitch? I havent even graduated highschool, but believe me, I want to get out of my town so that is why i am going away to college, hopefully on a SCHOLARSHIP. And the irony is Axe, you somehow got yourself involved again, I dont seem to know why you said that everything i post makes you hate me more, but I kind of dont care? So again you started a fight, for no apparent reason.

DempseyPunk
06-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Dead Kennedys...overrated? NO FKIN WAY.
1. jellos lyrics were awesome
2. east bay ray kicked some serious ass
3. jellos stage presence is unmatched
4. lotsa great songs, lotsa great albums(plastic surgery is my fav)
5. got me into punk long with subhumans, rudi peni, and oneway system...and alot of others
6.made the 1st tony hawk pro skater game the greatest video game ever just cos of police truck
7.ETC, someone else make a good point

axeslash
06-28-2009, 12:22 AM
HA! Really? The smart people that manage to balance themselves in high school dont get scholarships? I mean if this kid is some sort of gift to us from heaven for his genius, then surely he can grace an ACTUAL college with his presence. I am sorry, misspentyouth, you are right, and that is fair. I shouldnt say community college is bad if you have higher aspirations, but when you talk about being some sort of Einstein in the making, and talk down to people about their intellectuality, I feel as if you could get some state support for at least a small college. And honestly, I am a rich bitch? I havent even graduated highschool, but believe me, I want to get out of my town so that is why i am going away to college, hopefully on a SCHOLARSHIP. And the irony is Axe, you somehow got yourself involved again, I dont seem to know why you said that everything i post makes you hate me more, but I kind of dont care? So again you started a fight, for no apparent reason.Let me say this clearly enough for you to not misinterpret it with your autism.

I'm going to community college and studying physics. If you wanna make fun of me go ahead, but you're kind of out of your league. Do you think I'm going to go to community college and just hang out? I'm just going to get my associates in physics and say "good enough" and go on with my life? If you really think that, then you are dumber than I expected.

If you notice I talk down to YOU about YOUR intellectuality. I don't think I'm smarter than most people here, but I'd bet my life I'm smarter than you. Bet my fucking life on it.

I'll tell you why I start fights with you: you're a cocky asshole who doesn't have the intelligence to even back up what you say, and I don't want you to ever come back. This forum would be better without you.

MisspentYouth
06-28-2009, 12:23 AM
I am sorry, misspentyouth, you are right, and that is fair. I shouldnt say community college is bad if you have higher aspirations, but when you talk about being some sort of Einstein in the making, and talk down to people about their intellectuality, I feel as if you could get some state support for at least a small college.

I have higher aspirations, MUCH higher aspirations, and I still go. People around here are highly competitive; scholarships are pretty rare. It's not someone's fault if he or she doesn't score a scholarship.

JohnnyBlunders
06-28-2009, 12:23 AM
Dead Kennedys...overrated? NO FKIN WAY.
1. jellos lyrics were awesome
2. east bay ray kicked some serious ass
3. jellos stage presence is unmatched
4. lotsa great songs, lotsa great albums(plastic surgery is my fav)
5. got me into punk long with subhumans, rudi peni, and oneway system...and alot of others
6.made the 1st tony hawk pro skater game the greatest video game ever just cos of police truck
7.ETC, someone else make a good point

It doesn't mean that they arent overrated. Your points just didn't follow the issue at hand. Eh, I dont see how they dont get boring though. And I know all bands get boring at some point, I got bored quicker. Not much else to say, it IS personal preference, and I was only asking opinions, jeesh.

JohnnyBlunders
06-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Let me say this clearly enough for you to not misinterpret it with your autism.

I'm going to community college and studying physics. If you wanna make fun of me go ahead, but you're kind of out of your league. Do you think I'm going to go to community college and just hang out? I'm just going to get my associates in physics and say "good enough" and go on with my life? If you really think that, then you are dumber than I expected.

If you notice I talk down to YOU about YOUR intellectuality. I don't think I'm smarter than most people here, but I'd bet my life I'm smarter than you. Bet my fucking life on it.

I'll tell you why I start fights with you: you're a cocky asshole who doesn't have the intelligence to even back up what you say, and I don't want you to ever come back. This forum would be better without you.

Better without me? I post something and all i get is **** from you. But thanks for being so accommodating! And bet your life? Wow, again you are quick to the gun. But by the way, I wouldnt want you to sacrifice your life, being the fact that you may cure cancer! Also, 40 percent of CC students are dependent upon a parents income to enroll. And again, 46 percent of people who go to CC drop out with no degree. You make assumptions, and so did I. How does it feel?

DempseyPunk
06-28-2009, 12:27 AM
It doesn't mean that they arent overrated. Your points just didn't follow the issue at hand. Eh, I dont see how they dont get boring though. And I know all bands get boring at some point, I got bored quicker. Not much else to say, it IS personal preference, and I was only asking opinions, jeesh.
^opinion respected, just not accepted(lol i rhymed)
Yeah i know, i just used to be a hardcore dk fan. they suck fat c0ck now...anyone know whos fronting at the moment? I think Penalty is out...im not sure

axeslash
06-28-2009, 12:30 AM
It doesn't mean that they arent overrated. Your points just didn't follow the issue at hand. Eh, I dont see how they dont get boring though. And I know all bands get boring at some point, I got bored quicker. Not much else to say, it IS personal preference, and I was only asking opinions, jeesh.Are you ****ing kidding me? How did those points not follow? He was countering your statement that they are overrated by showing how they have earned their high rating.

Also, I have something to say about your statement "and I was only asking opinions, jeesh." Yeah, you were telling people that their opinions were wrong. Stop acting so fucking superior you dumb elitist cunt. Leave this place and never come back.

axeslash
06-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Better without me? I post something and all i get is **** from you. But thanks for being so accommodating! And bet your life? Wow, again you are quick to the gun. But by the way, I wouldnt want you to sacrifice your life, being the fact that you may cure cancer! Also, 40 percent of CC students are dependent upon a parents income to enroll. And again, 46 percent of people who go to CC drop out with no degree. You make assumptions, and so did I. How does it feel?Yes, I wasn't very accommodating. I don't like you. I didn't like you the first time I saw you post.

Well here's how your assumption makes me feel: happy. I'm happy that you're willing to use statistics to argue your point. Statistics that don't apply to me as my parents provide no financial support for my schooling whatsoever. And I haven't dropped out so far.

So congratulations, you have no idea how to argue. Nobody here thinks you are intelligent, no one here thinks you are a unique and beautiful snowflake. Just another arrogant 14 year old. I can't stress enough how I don't like you and how I would like to never hear from you again.

JohnnyBlunders
06-28-2009, 12:34 AM
OH MY GOD! Axe told me to leave a free forum! And from his computer in his nice suburban home! And besides I am autistic, kinda like you. But you are one of those Rayman idiot savants right?

axeslash
06-28-2009, 12:36 AM
OH MY GOD! Axe told me to leave a free forum! And from his computer in his nice suburban home! And besides I am autistic, kinda like you. But you are one of those Rayman idiot savants right?Oh fuck yeah. That's going in my sig.

RockThe40oz
06-28-2009, 12:47 AM
HA! Really? The smart people that manage to balance themselves in high school dont get scholarships?
I had well over a 4.0 in high school with many extra-curriculars and didn't get a single scholarship.

You're f*cking 14. You don't know dick about the world. If it wasn't for a decent amount of help from my parents and a sh*tload of federal financial aid, I wouldn't have been able to go to a 4 year university right out of high school. The thing is, I'm grateful enough to acknowledge that I was somewhat privileged with that help.

charliezard!
06-28-2009, 01:09 AM
And from his computer in his nice suburban home!

Yeah. He's dumb for posting in the punk forum if he's in a nice neighborhood with money. I'm with you, man.

RockThe40oz
06-28-2009, 01:14 AM
Yeah. He's dumb for posting in the punk forum if he's in a nice neighborhood with money. I'm with you, man.
Don't judge, man... JohnnyBlunders is posting from a gutter using a stolen laptop with a potato-in-a-jar battery and a free wifi connection at his local coffee shop.

charliezard!
06-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Don't judge, man... JohnnyBlunders is posting from a gutter using a stolen laptop with a potato-in-a-jar battery and a free wifi connection at his local coffee shop.

Haha, sarcasm. JohnnyBlunders' insult was the dumbest thing I've heard all day.

axeslash
06-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Haha, sarcasm. JohnnyBlunders' insult was the dumbest thing I've heard all day.We can only hope he's left for good. We can only hope.

DempseyPunk
06-28-2009, 02:01 AM
ahh axeslash always makes me laugh.

BrianApocalypse
06-28-2009, 07:33 AM
If I may put forward a slice of personal philosophy, you guys need to spend less time arguing and more time polishing Ahnuldt. :handjob:

cobracarg
06-28-2009, 09:57 AM
They are one of the few punk bands that I can think if that didn't solely rely on power chords. They used a lot of surf guitar and jazz. They've influenced so many punk bands and metal bands. I agree that dead kennedys without jello is just a dead kennedys cover band

RockThe40oz
06-28-2009, 09:58 AM
They are one of the few punk bands that I can think if that didn't solely rely on power chords. They used a lot of surf guitar and jazz. They've influenced so many punk bands and metal bands. I agree that dead kennedys without jello is just a dead kennedys cover band
Can't you tell this thread is no longer about DK? You're only allowed to insult other members in this thread now..

..f*cktard

:p:

kayaress one
06-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Guys, he made a thread about how overrated the Dead Kennedys are. It was obvious to me without two pages of online class war that he's an idiot.

bman10030
06-30-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't know I don't dislike the DK's, I just overplayed them. Let's say I played them quite a bit. Favorite album? I loved the In God We Trust EP. That was the fastest one, and was a blast to listen to in like 15 minutes lol.

Verdict, they don't get boring quick, as they're one of few bands I've managed to be obsessed with for a good at least 6 months, but when they get boring they get boring unfortunately :\. And East Bay Ray, as amazing a guitarist, initially left the DK's because he wanted to buy a BMW... Nothing wrong with that, just not exactly a punk move... A nice Dodge Stratus would have worked.

JohnnyBlunders
06-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Ahem, Axe is was sarcasm about the Rayman thing, something over your head.

Strato-Massacre
06-30-2009, 01:08 AM
i still love them

hb15577
06-30-2009, 01:16 AM
well if your saying everyone goes through a dead kennedys stage then I think that shows how influential they are as a band and in my opinion makes them legends

Strato-Massacre
06-30-2009, 01:18 AM
well if your saying everyone goes through a dead kennedys stage then I think that shows how influential they are as a band and in my opinion makes them legends
agreed

axeslash
06-30-2009, 04:37 AM
Ahem, Axe is was sarcasm about the Rayman thing, something over your head.Man, now it's twice as funny.

Donovant22
06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
There was a great quote by Jello that I can't remember right now but I read it in a punk encyclopedia talking about rascism and stuff like that and I was really impressed at how intelligent he was.
Why didn't he win the mayoral race?

bman10030
06-30-2009, 05:44 PM
There was a great quote by Jello that I can't remember right now but I read it in a punk encyclopedia talking about rascism and stuff like that and I was really impressed at how intelligent he was.
Why didn't he win the mayoral race?
This isn't intended as an insult, but extremists never win.

He was VERY left, but I'm pretty sure he actually came in third in the polls.

Gnomefry
06-30-2009, 05:49 PM
^He came in 4th he got like over 6,000 votes.
"You can spend the money on new housing for poor people and the homeless, or you can spend it on a football stadium or a golf course. " -Jello Biafra With that quote he should be mayor of my town. But it'd never happen he's too left wing for the right wing's here.

FJM2C
06-30-2009, 06:46 PM
San Francisco had to change their electoral laws after that election. No one can run under anything but their legal name.

Don't forget his 2000 presidential run.

Anybody here a fan of Jello's spoken word stuff?

RockThe40oz
06-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Anybody here a fan of Jello's spoken word stuff?
No, because he sounds like a conspiracy nut whose only proof is that the media is all controlled by the government and that's why you can't find any of his "facts" anywhere.

Plus his voice is f*cking obnoxious

Donovant22
06-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey, if he ran again, I would totally vote for him. I'm tired of the spineless Democrat a-holes. The Democrats are the new Republicans and the Rebuplicans are insane.

We need actual liberals running the country. Obama's a good start, but not enough.

Donovant22
06-30-2009, 07:28 PM
No, because he sounds like a conspiracy nut whose only proof is that the media is all controlled by the government and that's why you can't find any of his "facts" anywhere.

Plus his voice is f*cking obnoxious

Well, he does sometimes seem a little crazy, but I don't think he's obnoxious.

BlaiseTheSlayer
06-30-2009, 07:39 PM
DK...I haven't listened to them in forever. I do enjoy them, but I did overplay them about a year ago.

JesusOfSbrbia
06-30-2009, 08:40 PM
I never should have clicked on this thread. :facepalm:

mbbmalcolm
06-30-2009, 10:08 PM
I never should have clicked on this thread. :facepalm:

really? I think its hilarious.

Anyhow, yeah, I get tired of them, but I get tired of any band that I have listened to hundreds of times. Plus, theyre the only band I can think of that I have liked for over 2 years. My music tastes are usually more ADD than that.

axeslash
06-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I love this thread. JohnnyBlunders really is one of the dumbest people I've ever seen on UG.

alkalinetrio97
06-30-2009, 11:07 PM
jello = Dead kennedys
without jello = nothing

axeslash
06-30-2009, 11:12 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

obama sux he a socialistYou are dumb, please leave this forum forever.

bman10030
07-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah his voice is just ridiculous in the spoken word... I try to avoid it before I lose the good amount of respect I have for Jello.

yeahyeah
07-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Ahem, Axe is was sarcasm about the Rayman thing, something over your head.
Aren't you mike2's little brother?

Also, has Axe posted his DK tat?

And community college ftw!

kayaress one
07-02-2009, 01:50 AM
obama sux he a socialist
yea, we need biafra!
Firstly, Obama is nothing even close to a socialist. You have to stop believing Fox News.
Secondly, Jello Biafra is more of a socialist than Obama will ever dream of being.

alkalinetrio97
07-05-2009, 10:25 PM
has anyone heard BOY SETS FIRES cover of holiday in cambodia?

RiotRiotUpstart
07-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Jello Biafra is a tool.

DKs rock.

/thread

DempseyPunk
07-06-2009, 02:43 AM
Jeff Penalty and brandon Cruz are tools.

DKs used to rock.

/thread
fixed

axeslash
07-06-2009, 03:23 AM
has anyone heard BOY SETS FIRES cover of holiday in cambodia?I would check it out if your username wasn't alkalinetrio97.

CommieKiller138
07-07-2009, 01:17 AM
The Dead Kennedys were a great band

charliezard!
07-07-2009, 02:00 AM
The Dead Kennedys were a great band

I don't understand you.

werty22
07-07-2009, 02:25 AM
Just because CommieKiller listens to Nazi Rawk doesn't mean you guys have to harass him every time he posts anything. He hasn't done nothin' to hurt no one here. Poor little fella hasn't even defended himself.

childofbodem
07-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Hahahaha, community college jokes.

You'll notice that there are two types of people who make these jokes: assholes who went to a University on their parents money, and people who have never been to college.

So please, continue to make fun of me. I'll feel so bad that a 14 year old is making fun of me for going to community college. You're obviously far more successful than me.

I'm 14, got a ****ing problem?

charliezard!
07-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Just because CommieKiller listens to Nazi Rawk doesn't mean you guys have to harass him every time he posts anything. He hasn't done nothin' to hurt no one here. Poor little fella hasn't even defended himself.

:haha: I wouldn't call it harassing. I was just pointing out that I don't understand him because of the fact that he has said he's liked quite a few anti-nazi bands... I guess that really means absolutely nothing, but still. He is an enigma.

But, yeah **** his naziness and the one tab he's put up. :p:

werty22
07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah, I wasn't saying you were harassing him, but it seems like it could easily go in that direction. Some people seemed kind of quick to jump on him just for posting his amp settings...

To point out the obvious, liking Nazi bands doesn't mean someone is a Nazi.

RockThe40oz
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I wasn't saying you were harassing him, but it seems like it could easily go in that direction. Some people seemed kind of quick to jump on him just for posting his amp settings...

I couldn't help myself... it just happened to be shortly after I found out his one contribution to the site at the time was a Skrewdriver tab.

To point out the obvious, liking Nazi bands doesn't mean someone is a Nazi.
But, it's almost always the case... since pretty much all nazi / RAC bands are really terrible, musically.

werty22
07-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah, I see your point. Still, I think it would have been better to reserve judgment. But whatever.

RockThe40oz
07-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I see your point. Still, I think it would have been better to reserve judgment. But whatever.
Punks? Reserve judgment about possible racists?

NEVER

Iluvpowerchords
07-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Community College is possibly the best kind of college.

axeslash
07-08-2009, 04:49 AM
I'm 14, got a ****ing problem?I didn't, but now I do.

So did you even read my post, or are you illiterate? Could you not see the context of that comment? Either way, your post is bad and you should feel bad.

BrianApocalypse
07-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Punks? Reserve judgment about possible racists?

NEVER

No platform for facism!

alkalinetrio97
07-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I would check it out if your username wasn't alkalinetrio97.

alkaline trio kicks ass first off, second off Boy sets fire did a good job with this song. and your username? axel sounds like a little girl straining on the toilet, and just cant get it out.

werty22
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM
alkaline trio kicks ass first off, second off Boy sets fire did a good job with this song. and your username? axel sounds like a little girl straining on the toilet, and just cant get it out.
:haha

I'm laughing at you, not with you.

alkalinetrio97
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
:haha

I'm laughing at you, not with you.

slash is a kick ass guitarist. axel just killed guns and roses

werty22
07-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Look closely at his username.

BrianApocalypse
07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I know how to settle this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfnOFvZvEuA

How is this NOT stupidly brilliant?

BR0KENHEARTED
07-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Achuuuuuuuu!!!!!

charliezard!
07-08-2009, 06:51 PM
slash is a kick ass guitarist. axel just killed guns and roses
:haha: :haha:

BR0KENHEARTED
07-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Matthew is a Buckethead fan duhh

neidnarb11890
07-08-2009, 08:36 PM
I know how to settle this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfnOFvZvEuA

How is this NOT stupidly brilliant?
**** yeah, this is my favorite Dead Kennedys tune! :daisy:

axeslash
07-09-2009, 12:14 AM
alkaline trio kicks ass first off, second off Boy sets fire did a good job with this song. and your username? axel sounds like a little girl straining on the toilet, and just cant get it out. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Oh wow. That made my day. Let me break down to you why you're dumb.

My name is axeslash. Let me spell it out for you. A - X - E - S - L - A - S - H. If you were the kind of person who could read you would understand that there is no 'L' between the 'E' and the 'S'. My name is not a reference to GNR, and you have just proven your own illiteracy. When I first made the joke about your name being alkalinetrio97 I thought it was a funny remark that would probably piss you off. Well, to my surprise you are even dumber than I had sarcastically implied you were.

A lot of people think I'm too argumentative and rude, but let me tell you plainly and clearly that you are a vapid moron, and you should be ashamed that you can't even properly read before you insult someone.

DempseyPunk
07-09-2009, 01:31 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Oh wow. That made my day. Let me break down to you why you're dumb.

My name is axeslash. Let me spell it out for you. A - X - E - S - L - A - S - H. If you were the kind of person who could read you would understand that there is no 'L' between the 'E' and the 'S'. My name is not a reference to GNR, and you have just proven your own illiteracy. When I first made the joke about your name being alkalinetrio97 I thought it was a funny remark that would probably piss you off. Well, to my surprise you are even dumber than I had sarcastically implied you were.

A lot of people think I'm too argumentative and rude, but let me tell you plainly and clearly that you are a vapid moron, and you should be ashamed that you can't even properly read before you insult someone.
you win. and btw your not rude, the forums just need people like you to stop the idiocy.

charliezard!
07-09-2009, 01:39 AM
you win. and btw your not rude, the forums just need people like you to stop the idiocy.

Oh, God. If you're gonna kiss his ass, at least do it when he's arguing for good reason. This was dumb.

DempseyPunk
07-09-2009, 02:34 AM
im not kissing ass, im just saying that people like him keep things interesting and stop morons from saying stupid bull****(no way im gonna do it). Dont try to start a ****ing arguement with me. If people like him(and a few others) wernt here, this place would be full of ****in idiots, thats all im saying. If it sounds like ass kissery then my bad, its just worded poorly

charliezard!
07-09-2009, 03:09 AM
If people like him(and a few others) wernt here, this place would be full of ****in idiots,

But... this place is full of idiots. :p:

DempseyPunk
07-09-2009, 04:30 AM
But... this place is full of idiots. :p:
haha point taken

axeslash
07-09-2009, 05:23 AM
I guess everybody has an opinion on what I do. Oh well.

BrianApocalypse
07-09-2009, 05:31 AM
You guys need to grow up, calm down and stop bickering.

You ALL sound like little girls straining on the toilet, but can't fire one out. :p:

kayaress one
07-10-2009, 02:02 AM
How did a thread about the Dead Kennedys divert its course to 14-year-olds, nazism, and Axl Rose's bowel movements?

:wtf:

yeahyeah
07-10-2009, 02:10 AM
The last DK thread was even better.

axeslash
07-10-2009, 03:29 AM
Sure, this thread was a horrific trainwreck. But on the positive side, JohnnyBlunders hardly ever posts anymore. So I claim a moral victory.

werty22
07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I bet he'll be back. He only posted sporadically anyway.

aaronob
09-07-2010, 02:52 AM
Well, I don't know if this thread is alive anymore... but I'm thinking about going to see the Dead Kennedys live... I know Jello isn't with them anymore and they got a new guy named Skip... so tell me, is this new singer any good or what? I couldnt find much on him.

iwannabesedated
09-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Basically they sound like a really, really good tribute act.

Man I absolutely love Fresh Fruit. In my opinion, the best Hardcore Punk album (though, to be fair, a lot of hardcore's best moments were not on albums, like Nervous Breakdown by Black Flag, etc)

BrianApocalypse
09-08-2010, 06:46 PM
I thought that the dead kennedys were actually defunct after Klaus quit, seeing that it's just Ray and a bunch of hired guns.

He can't be THAT arrogant, surely?

Iluvpowerchords
09-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Do you think that if the Republicans win back congress, Jello Biafra will re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-RE write California Uber Alles again?!

aaronob
09-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Nah, Klaus is still in it I think... besides the think that I love about DK is their guitar.

Do you think that if the Republicans win back congress, Jello Biafra will re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-RE write California Uber Alles again?!

That song was about Jerry Brown, who was actually a democrat. After Jerry Brown was in office, Jello said that he wasnt as bad as he thought he was going to be.

Jerry Brown is going to be on the ballot again this November for governor.

Iluvpowerchords
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Man, don't be the one game at Chuck E Cheese that isn't broken.

werty22
09-08-2010, 10:38 PM
This thread was kinda fun. Incidentally I've been listening to the Dead Kennedys a lot today. "Halloween" always gets stuck in my head. I think Mr. Biafra prescribes the shoving of things up asses a little too liberally, though. Speaking of which, I always lol at the phrase "President Reagan can shove it" at the end of that one TSOL song. I don't know a lot about TSOL, but they strike me as an odd band. They seem, for a punk rawk band, quite fickle in terms of their music and, maybe to a lesser degree, ideology. The unusual thing about them is that they didn't seem to have the intellectual pretensions of similarly dynamic bands. Or maybe they did and they just didn't receive the level of attention, like, say, The Clash, that would manifest such an image. In any case, they appear to an ignorant critic like myself to be kind of superficial, carrying little with them as they migrate from subgenre to subgenre. When they chant "President Reagan can shove it," it's like, dude, come on. Yur tryin to hard. We know you're punk rock and stuff. Your music's good and all but you're not saying anything new. Then they do the horror-punk thing and it's like, man, again, your music is pretty good and all but yur simultaneously less campy and harder to take seriously than The Misfits. Then they do other stuff that I haven't kept track of (though I need to get Beneath the Shadows cuz I really like the songs I've heard from it). I applaud their versatility and all but they don't seem very sincere.

So yeah, I like the Dead Kennedys and I've been listening to them exclusively today.

Edit: I hate when I make little thoughtless errors like using the wrong homophone, like I originally did in the fourth sentence, even though I do it on purpose sometimes, as I did later in the paragraph.

RockThe40oz
09-08-2010, 10:47 PM
TSOL is definitely a joke. No doubt about it.

axeslash
09-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Newest TSOL album actually had solid songs on it.

Anyways I got a bootleg DVD of a concert they did in Portland and none of you have it so I'm cool and you are all not.

DxEvolution
10-01-2010, 07:08 PM
TSOL is definitely a joke. No doubt about it.

I'll fight you, you take that back.

BringMeTheCalm
10-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Is it worth 23 dollars to see them without Jello?

BrianApocalypse
10-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Is it worth 23 dollars to see them without Jello?

23 dorrar isn't all that much I guess. They were pretty fierce as a 3-piece with Jeff Penalty, so they might at least be passable as a one piece. :shrug:

nashawa
10-10-2010, 02:36 PM
California Umbr Ellas.

gopherthegreat
10-10-2010, 09:53 PM
This thread is so classic.

BringMeTheCalm
10-14-2010, 01:39 AM
23 dorrar isn't all that much I guess. They were pretty fierce as a 3-piece with Jeff Penalty, so they might at least be passable as a one piece. :shrug:

Turns out it was only 16.50. Also turns out it was awesome. As someone who wasn't alive to experience the real incarnation of the Dead Kennedy's, I think the tour without most of the original members is fine. The band brings tons of energy and plays great songs with passion.

Skip changed the lyrics to MTV- Get Off the air ("MP3s - Get off the web") to make it more current. It was weird at first, but the lyrics were actually really great.

Totally worth seeing them even without Jello.

werty22
10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Turns out it was only 16.50. Also turns out it was awesome. As someone who wasn't alive to experience the real incarnation of the Dead Kennedy's, I think the tour without most of the original members is fine. The band brings tons of energy and plays great songs with passion.

Skip changed the lyrics to MTV- Get Off the air ("MP3s - Get off the web") to make it more current. It was weird at first, but the lyrics were actually really great.

Totally worth seeing them even without Jello.
That's ****ing stupid.

BringMeTheCalm
10-14-2010, 02:15 PM
That's ****ing stupid.

I know if sounds like that, I thought the same thing at first, but the actual lyrics other than the chorus were pretty solid. It was also way more current. It was interesting.

werty22
10-14-2010, 02:22 PM
No. It's stupid and I'll never think otherwise.

gopherthegreat
10-14-2010, 04:45 PM
That sounds annoying.

BringMeTheCalm
10-14-2010, 11:01 PM
It was definitely inferior to the real lyrics, and the chorus sounded cheesy, but it was pretty interesting.

JackWhite333
10-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Kennedys playing 1/1/11 right around where I live for $25, go?

BrianApocalypse
10-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Yeah, go for it.

Take some Jello to throw at Ray in case they're shit.

ManicRepression
10-16-2010, 02:33 PM
^no, that will just get you kicked out. Get everyone to bring a box of Jello and just ask the band to sign it.

jakesmellspoo
10-17-2010, 12:36 PM
i met this guy in new brunswick recently that told me how he saw dk when jello was still there. he was trying to stage dive when jello got hit by a bottle and started bleeding and grabbed the dude and screamed in his face "spread the blood!" over and over

Mav-16
10-20-2010, 04:25 AM
^no, that will just get you kicked out. Get everyone to bring a box of Jello and just ask the band to sign it.

Clever.

that way you don't get kicked out, and you really make the guys on stage think about it.

By the way Klause Floride quit.

nashawa
10-20-2010, 04:49 AM
By the way Klause Floride quit.
Get them to sign a tube of toothpaste too?

Mav-16
10-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Get them to sign a tube of toothpaste too?

Yep. Ray and the boys wanted crest, and hated total. and Klause told them to don't talk shit about total....

million points to who gets the pun

BrianApocalypse
10-20-2010, 01:00 PM
East Bay Ray MaCleans the pockets of the punters.

You'll pay ten bucks to see him on a fifteen-foot high show.
Fat-ass bouncers kick the shit out of kids who try to dance.

Crazed Shredder
10-20-2010, 02:39 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:z1uaJv48-f1TvM:http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o99/akane814/jello-lead.jpg&t=1
You have to love the shirt.

iwannabesedated
10-20-2010, 02:42 PM
^Yes I do.

Crazed Shredder
10-20-2010, 02:43 PM
^Yes I do.
I laugh every time I see it.

BrianApocalypse
10-20-2010, 05:23 PM
It was funny in the 80's but it's not any more. People wear them all the time and they're silly.

Mav-16
10-20-2010, 06:35 PM
yeah here in america, wearing an offensive shirt really is the cool thing to do. I saw some preppy ass yuppie b!tch wearing a shirt with stars dazzled all over it and printed "Don't Give A F.uck" on it.

what a cool world we live in

iwannabesedated
10-20-2010, 11:02 PM
yeah here in america, wearing an offensive shirt really is the cool thing to do. I saw some preppy ass yuppie b!tch wearing a shirt with stars dazzled all over it and printed "Don't Give A F.uck" on it.

what a cool world we live in

That's why I wear either band shirts or something that is sarcastic like "have a nice day" or "do you want fries with that?"

Well, the second one mostly because that's what most Americans want.

Mav-16
10-20-2010, 11:30 PM
That's why I wear either band shirts or something that is sarcastic like "have a nice day" or "do you want fries with that?"

Well, the second one mostly because that's what most Americans want.

Haha thats awesome. The "do you want fries with that"? is definetly classic.

I wear band shirts, dress shirts, flannels and plain white t-s. Eventually you come to the point where you don't care anymore anyway.

So yeah back to the Dk's.... anyone know if hopefully they'll stop touring now?

Crazed Shredder
10-21-2010, 01:09 AM
It was funny in the 80's but it's not any more. People wear them all the time and they're silly.
:(

axeslash
10-21-2010, 01:35 AM
New DK songs.

Huh.

JesusOfSbrbia
10-22-2010, 04:27 PM
I'm probably extremely late to the punch on this, but whatever. The video of Jello Biafra and Tipper Gore on Oprah finally made it to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1diIS_ZkEfo

Mav-16
10-22-2010, 07:20 PM
On Oprah Video: just watched all 4 parts, just like every talk show conversation, usually every point that is about to me made is dropped because of commericials. The writer from Spin magazine definently makes good points throughout the show though. Him and Tipper Gore were really the only ones who made their points fully valid I think.

Mack56
10-22-2010, 07:57 PM

The first time I heard of this guy, it was learning that he was the guy behind Black Fag (and their lead singer, Liberace Morris)

Needless to say, when I found out he toured with DK, I lol'd.

beefyboy232
10-26-2010, 02:12 PM
I had the opportunity to see DK on Saturday. As a band we decided to just go ahead and open for the show for Preachers That Lie, who also opened for DK that same night and had just missed us playing by about 5 minutes. Cool guys though.

BrianApocalypse
10-26-2010, 03:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilzXn7pYkI

This is well shit.

Mav-16
10-27-2010, 08:35 PM

This is well shit.

That is definitely, well yeah shit

Crazed Shredder
10-28-2010, 01:31 PM