The Straight Edge

PDA

View Full Version : The Straight Edge

handbanana
06-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Who's edge?
Who's not?
Straight Edge Hardcore - Love it? Hate it?
Edge - Cool? Not Cool?

Discuss

SeveredSurvival
06-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm not edge, I don't hate it at all, people have an opinion and if people chose to be Straight Edge that is totally their decision and Im cool with it, what are some Straight Edge hardcore bands? I can't judge because I haven't heard.

handbanana
06-28-2009, 06:36 PM
im also not edge and i feel the same as you about it.

if you want some straight edge bands check out

Floorpunch
Champion
Let Down
Force Fed

im sure others will add more

Manos15
06-28-2009, 06:45 PM
I've got it and am ready to firestorm at will.

alm0st a skat3r
06-28-2009, 06:45 PM
not edge, love youth crew bands more than any other type of hardcore

likeomgtehtuck!
06-28-2009, 06:49 PM
im edge, but im not like one of those xbeateveryonewhosnotedgefaceinx kinda kids. i do like straightedge hardcore, but i like the other types pretty much just as much. i never think about edge as the "cool thing" to be or do, especially since at my school its still cool if you drink and blaze

MustangMan311
06-28-2009, 07:28 PM
Not edge, but responsible. Don't really listen to any edge music, either.

whitenihilist
06-28-2009, 07:38 PM
The whole edge thing seems like immature eliteism too me. I mean really? Ok, you don't drink or smoke or W/e thats cool, but why are you going around telling EVERYONE?? Then most of them get all smug and start to adopt a group mentality about how low people who aren't "edge" are, and throw it around everywhere. Here is an example, I was at the mall a few months ago and I over heard this:

"Yea, our band is straight edge, we are playing a gig tomorrow at the Ridglea, check it out. Are you edge?"

"No, besides what does that have to do with your music?"

"Your not? pfft *walks away*"

Now I know this doesn't apply to everyone, just a genralization. I know a good amount of people that are clean and they are cool, but the don't go around making sure the every person in the world knows it, so don't respond to this with any malice. This is just my opinon on theis phenomion.

[/rant]

pmeg568c
06-28-2009, 07:47 PM
not edge. I think it is stupid. If you don't want to drink/do drugs/**** mad bitches, you don't have to make a name for yourself. you are just seeking attention. if you think that makes you a better, person, its quite the opposite. If you need to classify yourself just to feel comfortable with your life choices i feel sorry for you.

on a lighter note, i have nothing against straight edge bands and i like a lot of them.

whitenihilist
06-28-2009, 07:48 PM
not edge. I think it is stupid. If you don't want to drink/do drugs/**** mad bitches, you don't have to make a name for yourself. you are just seeking attention. if you think that makes you a better, person, its quite the opposite. If you need to classify yourself just to feel comfortable with your life choices i feel sorry for you.

on a lighter note, i have nothing against straight edge bands and i like a lot of them.

At least I am not the only one that thinks this. :golfclap:

handbanana
06-28-2009, 07:48 PM
well i have a lot of friends who are straight edge, and most of them have very understandable reasons for being edge. being 'straight edge' is a direct part of the culture of hardcore music. yes their are some people out there who can be assholes about it, but in my experience I have found that majority of them are pretty friendly and accepting. It sucks that there is a small demographic that put opinions like the ones above in peoples head

whitenihilist
06-28-2009, 07:57 PM
well i have a lot of friends who are straight edge, and most of them have very understandable reasons for being edge. being 'straight edge' is a direct part of the culture of hardcore music. yes their are some people out there who can be assholes about it, but in my experience I have found that majority of them are pretty friendly and accepting. It sucks that there is a small demographic that put opinions like the ones above in peoples head

I understand this, just when I see people throwing around "Im straight edge, are you" like it makes them better than other people it really pisses me off. Like I said above, I am not saying everyone is an ass, just the people that go out of their way to make sure the world knows that they are edge, even when they are in a situation where it is completely out of context I.e. not around booze or whatever they find un-edge. Please don't get my wrong, also the cross section of the culture where I used to live is probably not a good one, as MOST of them were dicks about everything.

handbanana
06-28-2009, 07:59 PM
like i have friends who rep straight and like X up before shows and stuff, but they will still come over and hang out while we drink and stuff. it just a personal choice.

whitenihilist
06-28-2009, 08:01 PM
like i have friends who rep straight and like X up before shows and stuff, but they will still come over and hang out while we drink and stuff. it just a personal choice.

That I understand. I have NOTHING wrong with the choice to not indulge in life's vices (even though it makes it more fun ;) ) It seems though that all it took was a catchy name to bring every asshole out of the woodworks.

handbanana
06-28-2009, 08:04 PM
not exactly how i would have worded it but it did make me lol

JxD
06-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm as straight as the line that you sniff up your nose...

I'm edge. I enjoy it kind of like how I enjoy breathing (it's not something that I think about very often, it just kind of happens). I don't really seek attention telling everyone that I'm edge, nor do I fight non-edge people, but perhaps I should. I need to participate in more stereotypes. Straight edge is also sweet because you can make fun jokes and join edge bands.

Cedence
06-28-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm edge. I don't really put it out there (dont go around saying it, don't X up, etc). I don't care if you are or not, really. None of my close friends, or even my moderately close friends are edge.

As far as edge bands, I don't really care. Some of them are good, some of them are bad. I don't see what sets them apart from other bands, other than a single belief.

pmeg568c
06-28-2009, 09:16 PM
i should also add that even though i dislike "straight edge" I have nothing against the dudes. the majority of them are cool. I just think its silly.

technicolour
06-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm as straight as the line that you sniff up your nose...

I'm edge. I enjoy it kind of like how I enjoy breathing (it's not something that I think about very often, it just kind of happens). I don't really seek attention telling everyone that I'm edge, nor do I fight non-edge people, but perhaps I should. I need to participate in more stereotypes. Straight edge is also sweet because you can make fun jokes and join edge bands.

how exclusive of you. :p:

I'm not edge, I like some edge bands, I don't see a reason for straight edge's "existence" but I don't rip on people who claim it..except the militants and morons of course.

I also enjoy xNegatronx

saxaxe
06-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Edge is fine as a lifestyle choice, not as a gang. It doesn't make you any better than people who chose to drink, it doesn't make your music any better, it doesn't make you cooler, it's just a lifestyle choice. I don't judge you for it, don't judge me for choosing to drink and smoke.

(This isn't directed towards anyone in the thread, just a general statement).

Okeefe Is Legit
06-28-2009, 09:45 PM
+1 with pretty much everything said in this thread.

Even when I didn't do drugs I still hated being labeled edge because I didn't want to be under a group label just because of what I chose not to do.

I do think that people should at least experience what not being sober feels like so there aren't idiots who tell me I've thrown my life down the drain because I've taken a few hits.

JxD
06-28-2009, 09:54 PM
I do think that people should at least experience what not being sober feels like so there aren't idiots who tell me I've thrown my life down the drain because I've taken a few hits.
I don't feel that someone should have to experience being stoned/drunk before claiming edge just to help them empathize with people choosing to indulge in such a lifestyle. I do think people considering going edge should try drinking or whatever to know what they're avoiding. Way too many people break because they're curious, which leads to 20-something year olds with the alcohol tolerance of a pre-teen getting absolutely smashed and trying to pick fights with goths or kids wearing crappy Rancid patches on the backs of their jean-jackets (true story).

whitenihilist
06-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I don't feel that someone should have to experience being stoned/drunk before claiming edge just to help them empathize with people choosing to indulge in such a lifestyle. I do think people considering going edge should try drinking or whatever to know what they're avoiding. Way too many people break because they're curious, which leads to 20-something year olds with the alcohol tolerance of a pre-teen getting absolutely smashed and trying to pick fights with goths or kids wearing crappy Rancid patches on the backs of their jean-jackets (true story).

:haha: epic story man...and very true.

JxD
06-28-2009, 10:05 PM
:haha: epic story man...and very true.
It didn't happen to me (I'm still edge as **** XXX), it happened to my friend who recently decided to give alcohol another chance. Allegedly he enjoys fighting people that don't appeal to him.

Manos15
06-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Straight edge means I'm better than you.

aggiefan33
06-28-2009, 10:56 PM
im straight edge then.

technicolour
06-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Straight edge means I'm better than you.

Is this a line from a song or something? it looks familiar

willingvictim
06-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm not edge, I like some edge bands, I don't see a reason for straight edge's "existence" but I don't rip on people who claim it..except the militants and morons of course.

back in the early 80's there was a **** ton of drunk punx and ****, and when hardcore came around a lot of the hardcore punk kids werent into that and wanted to have a place to fit in, and then came straight edge.

and im not edge what so ever.. but i think the actual culture of straight edge (not the bogus xAFBx bull****) is awesome and real edge bands rule

intentionsthere
06-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I'm not straight edge, but I totally respect people who chose edge as a lifestyle choice. On the other hand, I hate elitism in general and some straight edge people are kind of elitist.

technicolour
06-28-2009, 11:31 PM
back in the early 80's there was a **** ton of drunk punx and ****, and when hardcore came around a lot of the hardcore punk kids werent into that and wanted to have a place to fit in, and then came straight edge.

and im not edge what so ever.. but i think the actual culture of straight edge (not the bogus xAFBx bull****) is awesome and real edge bands rule

Good for them. The counter culture of a counter culture

recklessnick
06-28-2009, 11:47 PM
im not edge cos i find comfort in smoking. dont like drinking though. any vegans here?

We'realltoBlame
06-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Even though I don't smoke or drink or do drugs I would NEVER call myself straight edge because I don't even care for the straight edge kids I've met. lol

MustangMan311
06-28-2009, 11:50 PM
im not edge cos i find comfort in smoking. dont like drinking though. any vegans here?
I find a Black and Mild from time to time to be therapeutic. Haha. I would agree on the drinking part.

I've never seen the Vegan / Straightedge connotation before. Like, why are they put together?

Manos15
06-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Is this a line from a song or something? it looks familiar
I think it's from a Liferuiner song. Don't ask me why I know that, ha.

andyq777
06-29-2009, 12:11 AM
I'm straight edge its true, i think I'm better than you- cockpunch

thesceneislame
06-29-2009, 12:24 AM
does anyone else get pissed off when people say "I'm 1/2edge" or "I'm gonna try being edge for a week"

likeomgtehtuck!
06-29-2009, 01:03 AM
^ive heard that a couple times. it made me mad.

im edge cause i used to be really bad into drugs and drinking, and ive seen what it does to people.

thesceneislame
06-29-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm not edge, I just don't like ignorance

likeomgtehtuck!
06-29-2009, 01:16 AM
you saying being egde is being ignorant?

thesceneislame
06-29-2009, 01:36 AM
noooo, when people say they want to be "straight edge for a week" is

Manos15
06-29-2009, 01:39 AM
The worst is hearing people say, "I wish I could do that."

No you don't. If you wanted to you would just do it. It's not like it's some ****ing impossible goal.

likeomgtehtuck!
06-29-2009, 01:42 AM
^ive had so many people come up to me and say that, i responded with your latter statement :)

nz_matt
06-29-2009, 04:56 AM
One of my close friends came out of the closet to me recently... he'd been edge for several months and hadn't told anyone hahaha.

I'm not edge but I like tonnes of edge bands, and I can empathise with a lot of their messages. Drinking culture is the predominant mainstream Australian culture. Here, everything revolves around being drunk, especially in the city I live in; it's very much a closed minded, white, industrial coal town. And there is a lot of violence and degradation caused by alcohol and other drugs here. As there is in lots of places. So that's why I like straight edge music, and why lots of other people like it too. But I also like having a beer at lunch at uni while I read my book. I could never give that up hahah.

As for the "why do you need the label" argument, it's just something people use to be a part of something. Just the same as any other group or team people choose to be a part of. No big deal.

Now I know this doesn't apply to everyone, just a genralization.
Generalisations are generally untrue.

yLynch
06-29-2009, 05:49 AM
Purity rings are the fucking stupidest idea I've ever heard of.

nz_matt
06-29-2009, 06:16 AM
And firestorming to pruify is the greatest idea you've ever heard of.

brad5992
06-29-2009, 06:58 AM
Not edge and probably never will be. I like to drink but hate smoking cigarettes.

handbanana
06-29-2009, 09:50 AM
i think its funny now how vegetarianism and veganism is like the new straight edge

i never expected this thread to blow up this much

likeomgtehtuck!
06-29-2009, 11:37 AM
yeah hahah kinda took off out of nowhere, straight edge is a big deal :)

JxD
06-29-2009, 07:37 PM
Relevance?

We'realltoBlame
06-29-2009, 09:30 PM
:haha: What the heck?

InstantAXonHero
06-29-2009, 09:38 PM
I have a wheat and dairy free diet so I only listen to bands who go on about soya milk and fruit.

:)

technicolour
06-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Relevance?

xJonas brothersx ?

IcePh0enix
06-29-2009, 11:41 PM
I'm not straight edge, but I totally respect people who chose edge as a lifestyle choice. On the other hand, I hate elitism in general and some straight edge people are kind of elitist.
This is basically how I feel. I do however feel that people who don't at least expirement with drugs a little bit are missing out.

yLynch
06-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Relevance?

This is the straightedge thread, neh?

Manos15
06-30-2009, 12:04 AM
What does that have to do with anything?

nz_matt
06-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I've never seen a straight edge kid wear a purity ring, it's a Christian thing. And as one of the foremost keepers of the straight edge flame in Australia once said "the third X doesn't have anything to do with sex, it stands for no religion".

NOT RELEVANT.

JxD
06-30-2009, 02:38 AM
This is basically how I feel. I do however feel that people who don't at least expirement with drugs a little bit are missing out.
I never felt compelled to experiment with drugs, they either seemed boring or scary to me.

yLynch
06-30-2009, 02:57 AM
I've never seen a straight edge kid wear a purity ring, it's a Christian thing. And as one of the foremost keepers of the straight edge flame in Australia once said "the third X doesn't have anything to do with sex, it stands for no religion".

NOT RELEVANT.

Just trollin'. :peace:

PhobiXa
06-30-2009, 05:37 AM
I'm not edge. Enjoy drinking too much and don't really see the point in having to join a group in order to not drink or smoke. I respect people who are straight edge and respect people who aren't straight edge back. Worst thing about straight edge is that it limits you to NO alcohol, so you can't even try an alcoholic drink for the taste, or something mundane like toasting at a wedding.

On the vegan and vegetarian thing, i think thats a great life choice. Will go vegetarian once I leave home, most people think thats a weak reason to not be vegetarian, but living at home with people who eat meat and won't change their diet for you makes it hard and I know I wouldn't have a sufficient diet if I stopped eating meat at home and such.

recklessnick
06-30-2009, 06:16 AM
i have been vegan for a year, and i dont think its a trend. there are only 2-3 people in the scene who turned to vegetarianism and veganism after i did. and even if its a trend, its a good thing. you dont see vegans beating up non-vegans anywhere

technicolour
06-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Vegan reich?

JxD
06-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Worst thing about straight edge is that it limits you to NO alcohol, so you can't even try an alcoholic drink for the taste, or something mundane like toasting at a wedding.
This isn't really an issue if you don't like alcohol. I wouldn't ever recommend someone go edge if they really enjoy beer, wine, fine scotch, whatever. It would be stupid to deprive yourself of something you enjoy too much to stay away from for the rest of your life.

i have been vegan for a year, and i dont think its a trend. there are only 2-3 people in the scene who turned to vegetarianism and veganism after i did. and even if its a trend, its a good thing. you dont see vegans beating up non-vegans anywhere
I don't think being vegan is a trend, that actually takes some commitment, but I think vegetarianism might be for a lot of people. There is such a thing as violent vegetarians/vegans, just like there are violent dick-heads in any other movement (there's probably more violence associated than straight edge because way more people are involved).

Internal Chaos
07-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Edge is a great way to live I reckon, it's a personal choice to refrain from drinking, smoking and other drug use and I respect that choice.

But.

There's a line. I do not respect any straightedge people who don't respect my choice as a smoker. They don't want it, they don't have to have it. When I smoke at shows, I smoke with other smokers, or my mates away from where everyone else is. I mind my own business. I have never ever forced someone to smoke, and if I offer and they say no, I don't offer again unless I know they're a smoker.

So if a non smoker harrasses me about it, I am not going to take it. Hardcore has a huge straightedge scene attached, I agree with that. But I don't have to agree with the lyrical content to like the intensity of the music.

That aside, I don't really know who is edge and who isn't, I just don't like in your face edge, like xThe Warx, Earth Crisis, xREPRESENTx, Project X etc. I'm also sick of those Trust Comes Tough shirts, jesus christ, I don't wear shirts that say I'm a smoker.

That's my two cents.

Also, this is the most appropriate thread to do this.
I have been getting messages lately asking about xNEGATRONx's newer stuff we're doing. I'm not backing off the edge lyrics because I get beaten up, I'm doing it because I'm writing a full length and no one wants 20 tracks of the same thing, which xThe Warx hasn't learned yet. Also, on the EP, all of the songs were targeted at certain people. xLust is Bustx and a kid who tries to get in with everyone, xGet High-DRATEDx is based of something Louie Knuxx said, xPillsx is based on my friend who always claims to pop pills before class, xThis is a Beatdown, ******x is a shot at an edge skin at local shows, and his favourite bands, xThe Warx is a shot at everyone who has taken us seriously, x1 2 **** Youx is a shot at the bassist from Shinto Katana, even though I think his band is awesome and xStraight Fucking Edgex is a shot at Slapshot.

I have gotten angrier over the last few months and everyone and everything, so things are going more towards powerviolence/tough guy, with longer songs, less breakdowns and more sludge. It's my way of venting, I have about 5-6 songs worth of lyrics, and 2-3 for music.

That's our update, thanks for anyone who is interested.

We'realltoBlame
07-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Edge is a great way to live I reckon, it's a personal choice to refrain from drinking, smoking and other drug use and I respect that choice.

But.

There's a line. I do not respect any straightedge people who don't respect my choice as a smoker. They don't want it, they don't have to have it. When I smoke at shows, I smoke with other smokers, or my mates away from where everyone else is. I mind my own business. I have never ever forced someone to smoke, and if I offer and they say no, I don't offer again unless I know they're a smoker.

So if a non smoker harrasses me about it, I am not going to take it. Hardcore has a huge straightedge scene attached, I agree with that. But I don't have to agree with the lyrical content to like the intensity of the music.

That aside, I don't really know who is edge and who isn't, I just don't like in your face edge, like xThe Warx, Earth Crisis, xREPRESENTx, Project X etc. I'm also sick of those Trust Comes Tough shirts, jesus christ, I don't wear shirts that say I'm a smoker.

That's my two cents.

Also, this is the most appropriate thread to do this.
I have been getting messages lately asking about xNEGATRONx's newer stuff we're doing. I'm not backing off the edge lyrics because I get beaten up, I'm doing it because I'm writing a full length and no one wants 20 tracks of the same thing, which xThe Warx hasn't learned yet. Also, on the EP, all of the songs were targeted at certain people. xLust is Bustx and a kid who tries to get in with everyone, xGet High-DRATEDx is based of something Louie Knuxx said, xPillsx is based on my friend who always claims to pop pills before class, xThis is a Beatdown, ******x is a shot at an edge skin at local shows, and his favourite bands, xThe Warx is a shot at everyone who has taken us seriously, x1 2 **** Youx is a shot at the bassist from Shinto Katana, even though I think his band is awesome and xStraight Fucking Edgex is a shot at Slapshot.

I have gotten angrier over the last few months and everyone and everything, so things are going more towards powerviolence/tough guy, with longer songs, less breakdowns and more sludge. It's my way of venting, I have about 5-6 songs worth of lyrics, and 2-3 for music.

That's our update, thanks for anyone who is interested.
All these things with "x"s around them, are they bands or people? and I totally lost track of what you were sayin.

Okeefe Is Legit
07-01-2009, 11:32 PM
All these things with "x"s around them, are they bands or people? and I totally lost track of what you were sayin.

They're songs on the EP if I read it correctly.

Internal Chaos
07-01-2009, 11:37 PM
xNEGATRONx is my band, and all the other ones are songs in order of track list. So many damn x's.

handbanana
07-01-2009, 11:39 PM
if i didn't like beer and smoking as much as i do, i'd probably be straight edge.

Internal Chaos
07-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Why?

IcePh0enix
07-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Hey dude, my xNegatronx EP got deleted on iTunes (long story) and the link on your label page isn't working. Could you please reupload it? Your band is pretty awesome.

And I was just wondering, what's the story with the bassist from Shinto Katana?

handbanana
07-02-2009, 12:22 AM
i would feel like a much cleaner person, and would probably be a more productive person if I was edge. but in the end I just don't care enough

Internal Chaos
07-02-2009, 12:28 AM
He's a douche, he's the kind of guys who stares down smokers, moshes and targets them and always holds his hands out so everyone can see the x's, even when no one is actually on stage.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nz2mzwzg1ne

01 - xIntrox
02 - xLust is Bustx
03 - xGet High-DRATEDx
04 - xPillsx
05 - xThis is a Beatdown, Faggotx
06 - x1 2 Fuck Youx
07 - xThe Warx
08 - xStraight Fucking Edgex

technicolour
07-02-2009, 01:18 AM
sweet ^ !
appreciated very much

Internal Chaos
07-02-2009, 01:21 AM
No worries. Just posting here to say that we have our three covers picked

Minor Threat - Straight Edge
Carpathian - Isolation/Cursed in the one song
xThe Warx - Defend Your Honour

We're not doing Minor Threat in a disrespectful way, just faster and heavier.

Manos15
07-02-2009, 01:25 AM

Would sing along to the Minor Threat cover.

We'realltoBlame
07-02-2009, 01:29 AM
xNEGATRONx is my band, and all the other ones are songs in order of track list. So many damn x's.
Thanks man, i got reeeaaaallly confused was all. lol

andyq777
07-02-2009, 01:34 AM

any chance of those sweet shirts making there way to the states?

Internal Chaos
07-02-2009, 01:37 AM
Yes. In a few weeks I'm making another 20 or 30 of them, any colour except white.

What colour do you want? What size?
It'd be about $25AUD for you, which is like, $20US.

I'll get someone to set up a paypal for it.

andyq777
07-02-2009, 01:54 AM
Yes. In a few weeks I'm making another 20 or 30 of them, any colour except white.

What colour do you want? What size?
It'd be about $25AUD for you, which is like, $20US.

I'll get someone to set up a paypal for it.

niccee!

im digging the green one. probably large

TheBabySnatcher
07-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Meh, I'm kind of like, 3/4's Straight Edge (lol?) since I don't really drink or smoke cigarettes. I only smoke weed and that's not very often (cannot afford to).

:(

PhobiXa
07-02-2009, 05:57 AM
He's a douche, he's the kind of guys who stares down smokers, moshes and targets them and always holds his hands out so everyone can see the x's, even when no one is actually on stage.

my bands vocalist is good friends with xmitchx. the few times i've met him he has seemed like a really nice dude and i've never had him give me crap for not being edge. hahahahah also never seen him hold his hands out to show off the x's.
where do you get this idea from?
also yeah he does mosh on people, guy is too big.

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
07-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Don't smoke. Don't drink. Don't have promiscious sex. Am I Edge? No. I don't do those things because I don't want to do them, the whole drinking culture sickens me, smoking I used to do and realised just how stupid it was and promiscious sex just really isn't for me.

Why don't I claim Edge? Mainly because I don't want to, I just don't feel the need to have a label. However if someone asks me why I'm not drinking I tend to reply with a logical answer that I don't drink, however illogical that sounds to the majority of people.

Cedence
07-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Meh, I'm kind of like, 3/4's Straight Edge (lol?) since I don't really drink or smoke cigarettes. I only smoke weed and that's not very often (cannot afford to).

:(
no such thing...

And Internal Chaos, you do realize that Project X was a joke, right?

Internal Chaos
07-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I do, but I like to bag them out in front of the edge kids from Wyong because they're heaps into them. For the next thing I release, Straight Edge Revenge is in there, so look out for it.my bands vocalist is good friends with xmitchx. the few times i've met him he has seemed like a really nice dude and i've never had him give me crap for not being edge. hahahahah also never seen him hold his hands out to show off the x's.
where do you get this idea from?
also yeah he does mosh on people, guy is too big.
I saw him mosh when I saw The Red Shore/As Blood Runs Black at The Manning Bar, and when Shinto played up here with Deez Nuts and Mark My Words.

willingvictim
07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
lol @ kid who is "3/4 straight edge"

Frenzied
07-02-2009, 02:16 PM
I'm edge. I don't rep it. It's a personal choice. None of my close friends are. I enjoy edge and non-edge bands alike.

pmeg568c
07-02-2009, 03:04 PM
ok! all you straight edge kids! its time to show how straight edge you really are! **** that **** up!

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
07-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I just remembered one of the funniest Edge band lead in's (Champion at Posi Numbers '04):

'It doesn't matter what you think! It doesn't matter what you eat! It doesn't matter what you say! But this here, right now, this is for the Straight Edge kids!'

So it does matter what you think, oops!

handbanana
07-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I just remembered one of the funniest Edge band lead in's (Champion at Posi Numbers '04):

'It doesn't matter what you think! It doesn't matter what you eat! It doesn't matter what you say! But this here, right now, this is for the Straight Edge kids!'

lol contradiction

InstantAXonHero
07-02-2009, 07:54 PM
This xNEGATRONx is pretty good, cheers for the link matey!

willingvictim
07-02-2009, 11:42 PM

I think he meant that in general it doesn't matter.. but for that moment it was for the edge kids.

IcePh0enix
07-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Yeah I don't really get how that's a contradiction...

likeomgtehtuck!
07-03-2009, 01:28 AM
ok! all you straight edge kids! its time to show how straight edge you really are! **** that **** up!

what? there's no hardcore dancing allowed? **** THAT

birdman267
07-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Ive got respect for people who are edge,
Having said that,
The SECOND they use the term Straight-Edge to describe their lifestyle choice,
All the respect i had magically disappears.

Bignose
07-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Belief shouldn't be a cosmetic thing. I can have respect for a person keeping away from alcohol and drugs considering they are used or effect a great part of society, but yeah, shouldn't be cosmetic.

RPExecutor
07-04-2009, 02:20 AM
Don't smoke. Don't drink. Don't have promiscious sex. Am I Edge? No. I don't do those things because I don't want to do them, the whole drinking culture sickens me, smoking I used to do and realised just how stupid it was and promiscious sex just really isn't for me.

Why don't I claim Edge? Mainly because I don't want to, I just don't feel the need to have a label. However if someone asks me why I'm not drinking I tend to reply with a logical answer that I don't drink, however illogical that sounds to the majority of people.

this pretty much fits my situation. there's no need for labels. it's just your lifestyle decision.

it's just a shame that something that could have been a good culture is watered down by all these aggressive meatheads that feel the need to assert their superiority through boasting about their abstinence.

charliezard!
07-04-2009, 02:24 AM

I am on this side, exactly. I don't smoke, drink, or sleep around. But I don't consider myself straight edge. I don't do those things because I'm opposed to them (not violently opposed, I just don't feel right doing them.) I certainly don't abstain from these things because I want to be straight edge.

demonsage
07-04-2009, 02:45 AM
guess im edge but i really don't label myself like that
But I do have strong feelings about "drugs" alcohol,smoking,weed,ect
its just ive seen first hand what it does to people :(
but really i don't have to go around yelling at people to be edge

alm0st a skat3r
07-04-2009, 12:31 PM
guess im edge but i really don't label myself like that
But I do have strong feelings about "drugs" alcohol,smoking,weed,ect
its just ive seen first hand what it does to people :(
but really i don't have to go around yelling at people to be edge
if you don't claim edge and label yourself as it then you aren't edge.

willingvictim
07-04-2009, 01:17 PM
if you don't claim edge and label yourself as it then you aren't edge.

seriously, so many kids have been saying that **** but it doesn't make sense. same with the dude up there that said he has respect for edge kids but once they said they edge he loses all respect.. wtf? now THAT is contradictory. just because you dont smoke and drink and what not doesn't mean you are edge.

Manos15
07-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Also important information:
If you don't listen to and/or are involved in hardcore/punk, then . . .
YOU ARE NOT STRAIGHT EDGE!

handbanana
07-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Also important information:
If you don't listen to and/or are involved in hardcore/punk, then . . .
YOU ARE NOT STRAIGHT EDGE!

this is so true. i dont think anyone not directly involved in the hardcore community or atleast somewho who listens to/goes to hardcore shows has no reason using the term straight edge when reffering to themselves. those people i would just label as sober.

Haymaker17
07-04-2009, 05:22 PM

xtyrantx. we kill for straightedge lol.

anyways in high school i didnt drink, smoke or do any of that stuff, but i didnt consider myself straightedge at the time even tho i was into hardcore music. i still went to parties but pretty much abstained from that aspect of it.
the one thing i never understood was how some kids that were edge, look down on others that arent. its a personal choice like anything else in life. when i was younger and abstained from drinking and smoking i didnt think any less of my friends that werent "edge". obviously that is only in certain cases but it does happen. overall id say straightedge is truly a great thing that can have a lot of positive effects on the life of a person, however its just not for me.

brandon369852
07-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Down with edge music. And edge people. Not my thing though.

IcePh0enix
07-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Down with edge music. And edge people. Not my thing though.
I can't tell if you're saying like, "yeah brah I'm down with edge music," or "Down with straight edge!"

(Not really, I know it's the first one, but it still confused me at first haha.)

screechuzi
07-06-2009, 01:08 PM
straight edge is basically the precursor of crabcore.

people making a whole genre or scene based of nothing that has to do with hardcore. srsly if you claim just give up, you fail at antidisestablishmentarianism.

willingvictim
07-06-2009, 01:10 PM
tell that to ian mackaye

alm0st a skat3r
07-06-2009, 01:15 PM

people making a whole genre or scene based of nothing that has to do with hardcore. srsly if you claim just give up, you fail at antidisestablishmentarianism.
cool dude alert

recklessnick
07-06-2009, 01:27 PM
im not straight edge, but im crab

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
07-06-2009, 01:39 PM
And Al Barille.

handbanana
07-06-2009, 03:26 PM

:facepalm:

brandon369852
07-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I can't tell if you're saying like, "yeah brah I'm down with edge music," or "Down with straight edge!"

(Not really, I know it's the first one, but it still confused me at first haha.)

:p: DOWN WITH STRAIGHT EDGE! UP WITH LIVING LIFE

:haha

Smitty101
01-14-2010, 11:52 PM
I'm edge. I don't agree with people who are huge edge elitists though, and are like OMG YOU DRINK IM GUNNA KNOCK YOU OUT! I think that's dumb.
It's a personal choice, and even though I'm edge I'll listen to bands like Holly Springs, and shit who just talk about getting ****ed up all the time. It doesn't bother me at all.

handbanana
01-15-2010, 01:08 AM

forgot about this, still loling at it

lookpizza
01-15-2010, 01:09 AM
Since someone bumped this I'm just gonna say, if you are in high school YOU ARE NOT STRAIGHT EDGE

MustangMan311
01-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Since someone bumped this I'm just gonna say, if you are in high school YOU ARE NOT STRAIGHT EDGE
How does this make any since at all? I can understand that there isn't as much alcohol / drugs / sex in high school as there is when you get out, but there is definitely still a lot of it. I can see what you're saying about people who have been drunk maybe once or twice, or even not at all, claiming edge and thinking they're cool for doing that, but regardless...

You're trying to make a statement to seem cool when it's really completely illogical.

lookpizza
01-15-2010, 01:47 AM
How does this make any since at all? I can understand that there isn't as much alcohol / drugs / sex in high school as there is when you get out, but there is definitely still a lot of it. I can see what you're saying about people who have been drunk maybe once or twice, or even not at all, claiming edge and thinking they're cool for doing that, but regardless...

You're trying to make a statement to seem cool when it's really completely illogical.

It is most definitely not illogical. Most high school kids claiming edge are just kids who have never even tried drugs or alcohol. They aren't giving up anything. They are just obeying the rules, and use straight edge as an excuse to make it seem cool. 90% will sell out anyways either when they go to college or turn 21.

Also a statement I find much more illogical than my own is that someone would post on a message board to make themselves seem cool. I sure as hell never regaled a woman of my posts on UG in attempts to get her to fellate me.

MustangMan311
01-15-2010, 02:04 AM
It is most definitely not illogical. Most high school kids claiming edge are just kids who have never even tried drugs or alcohol. They aren't giving up anything. They are just obeying the rules, and use straight edge as an excuse to make it seem cool. 90% will sell out anyways either when they go to college or turn 21.

Also a statement I find much more illogical than my own is that someone would post on a message board to make themselves seem cool. I sure as hell never regaled a woman of my posts on UG in attempts to get her to fellate me.
Yeah, but nowhere in the Edge Handbook does it say that you must have tried drugs before. And at the same time, there are a fair amount of drug / alcohol users while still in high school. I know quite a few people that spend the majority of their time drunk / stoned when they aren't at school.

lookpizza
01-15-2010, 02:07 AM
I say if your in high school your not straight edge in the same way I say if your in high school your not in love.

MustangMan311
01-15-2010, 02:11 AM
I say if your in high school your not straight edge in the same way I say if your in high school your not in love.
Alright, I respect your opinion, I just don't agree. I think there are easily exceptions to what you're saying, and enough to make it false. But it's all good.

saxaxe
01-15-2010, 02:24 AM
I agree to a point. You can be edge in high school, I just don't take anyone under 20 seriously if they claim edge. A 17 year old's view of alcohol is "WOOHOO LETS DRINK TILL WE PASS OUT" and they don't understand the concept of moderation. This can apply to adults as well, but most people under 20, maybe even like 25, have a really skewed view of the idea of drugs and alcohol. If you're smart with it, there are no negative side effects to drinking, but the way young people view drinking is NOT being smart with it, so the kind of people who claim edge at a young age (generalizing, not always true) see it as some terrible thing they have to avoid at all costs. Because of that, I don't really feel that most people in high school, or even early college, don't really have a firm grasp on the concept of drinking or what exactly they're abstaining from by claiming edge, therefore I have trouble taking them seriously.

lookpizza
01-15-2010, 02:31 AM
^^^ That's basically what I mean, you were just a lot more eloquent about it.

Internal Chaos
01-15-2010, 02:57 AM
Agreed with sax. I know lots of people, living in an area where the majority of the places are government housing, who have had near death experiences due to alcohol and drugs, or have lost friends or family for the same reason. I can completely understand their point of view on the situation.

On the other side, I can't tolerate kids who are straightedge because their favourite band is SSD or Have Heart, or because they see kids with Trust Comes Tough shirts on at shows and thinks it gives them more of a sense of unity in hardcore.

I drink every day. Generally, it's two or three beers when I get home from work, especially now as it's summer and there's nothing better than a cold beer on a hot day. Some days I drink a whole sack of wine with my friends and ride bikes down steep hills. It's fun.

Nothing wrong with drug use or claiming edge. As long as you're doing either for the right reason.

Amuro Jay
01-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Well, I don't really listen to much straight edge hardcore (or much traditional oldschool hardcore to begin with), but after going through some tough times and witnessing a traumatic experience, I've decided to go straight edge from now on.

To be honest, I was pretty much straight edge beforehand to begin with, I was just never committed. Now I have that committment.

Magero
01-15-2010, 04:51 AM
Tbh, don't give a shit.
I just don't see the point, personally, in a label just because you don't do drugs, drink or have sex promiscuously. To me, they're life choices and don't need a label. It's like meeting some magical criteria.
"Oh yeah, I don't smoke or drink, but I have promiscuous sex, if I give that up, I level up and become straight edge!"

*shrugs*
I don't actually care if someone is edge, doesn't affect my opinion of the person, I just don't see the point in labelling yourself just because you follow a certain life style choice. This is the shit that starts religions.

Amuro Jay
01-15-2010, 04:57 AM
I realize it's unimportant in my case as the only difference between my life then and now is a name, but keeping the name is just one more thing to keep me in check. So yeah, it is kinda like religion.

Wait, technically, my religion makes me straight edge by default.

Magero
01-15-2010, 05:00 AM
...and thus spake Magero.

Amuro Jay
01-15-2010, 05:08 AM
...and thus spake Magero.
I'll spake you.

Magero
01-15-2010, 05:16 AM
That costs extra.

Cobrevolution
01-15-2010, 05:18 AM
It's D.A.R.E. for kids who think D.A.R.E. is uncool.

A lot of these kids are 14-19. Listen, goofball: you shouldn't be claiming edge when you're not allowed to do that shit anyway. That's like me saying I'm proud to not be a serial killer or a cannibal.
A school of thought might be, "they wish to separate themselves from the other kids who are doing it!" If that's the case, it's just another label to try and be different, which is what the very kids you're avoiding are doing as well.

What's so wrong with saying "No, I don't smoke" or "I don't drink"? Why do you need to attach an X to it and write it in your hands? I don't see the need to publicize your life.

That may make me come across as this chain smoking alcoholic with groupies, but I'm not. I don't smoke and I rarely drink (odd for a college student), and I don't **** anyone I don't love. I don't think I'm any better than anyone who does those things, though. I don't feel the need to proclaim to anyone that I'm clean. It's arrogant.

Gah, I dunno. I just dislike the entire scene of it.

Amuro Jay
01-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Never said I was religious :p:

And Jack, how much we talkin?

Internal Chaos
01-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Just letting everyone here know who seems to be unsure of why straightedge is so big in hardcore, it's because of this.

Straightedge came out because of a song. For those who don't know, this song.

I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and fuck my head
Hang out with the living dead
Snort white shit up my nose
Pass out at the shows
I don't even think about speed
That's something I just don't need

I've got the straight edge

I'm a person just like you
But I've got better things to do
Than sit around and smoke dope
Cause I know I can cope
Laugh at the thought of eating ludes
Laugh at the thought of sniffing glue
Always gonna keep in touch
Never want to use a crutch

I've got the straight edge

This is revolutionary because punk and hardcore has always been filled with alcohol and drugs. eg there is a Gang Green album cover that has the band with a tray of coke spelling Gang Green. Plus, a lot of hardcore bands come out of poor environments, and you mix homelessness and poverty with drugs and alcohol and you get what the kids had to deal with back then. Now, you can understand why this started. Bands like SSD just took it too far.

TL;DR - Straightedge came out because of the environment punk and their area had created. Deciding to be straightedge because you like hardcore and don't like the taste of beer doesn't seem like a big thing if that's what you're in it for.

Magero
01-15-2010, 06:10 AM
Once again, Davos brings teh wins.

boffen
01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
I like the edge people who do it because they want to live their life to the fullest, and not compromise their life experiences through substance abuse, but I dislike the edge people who are edge because they hate people who drink and/or do drugs.

I also understand why people lable themselves edge and x up before shows. If they believe in a life without drugs, they should represent their views, it's not like they hurt anyone by drawing x's on the back of their hands.

LicenseToPunk
01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't drink or do drugs, i dont really listen to edge bands, i dont agree with the whole "kill everyone who believes differently" aspect iether.

JxD
01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
This whole argument would be better off if people who weren't ****ing morons stopped contributing their thoughts on straight edge (obviously this isn't aimed at everybody). I don't understand how people keep allowing stereotypes to propagate to the point where it's thought to be a valid argument. The proportion of violent people clinging to straight edge as a legitimate way to beat others up is tiny. Frankly, I think the chances of being beaten up by someone who is drunk is way higher than getting into a fight with a straight edge kid. People are violent regardless of what they call themselves, people don't claim edge then magically become raging muscle-bound brawlers overnight.

On the topic of high school kids declaring themselves straight edge, I would just like to make a couple points:
-What does it matter to anyone if someone decides to call themselves edge, regardless of age?
-If someone breaks edge when they turn 21, who cares?
Sure, fourteen year old kids drawing x's on their hands and extolling the virtues of straight edge is annoying. Just keep in mind, teenagers are ****ing stupid. If not straight edge, they will find something else to be obnoxious about. Personally, I think that an annoying sober teen is immensely preferable to a group of coked out or drunken teens. Even if they break edge at 21, at least they will have spent their earlier years being just a little bit more tolerable to be around.

My only issue with edge-breakers is that they often skip the years where they learn moderation in substance abuse. Too many guys I know that broke edge go completely nuts with alcohol or drugs as soon as they break and they have no tolerance to the stuff. It's just as obnoxious as aforementioned drunken/stoned teens.

handbanana
01-15-2010, 02:45 PM

dude seriously shut up

nashawa
01-15-2010, 02:56 PM
I have nothing against edge kids as a whole, but I hate going to shows wondering if someone is going to pick a fight with me because I'm not edge (because it's happened a few times :/ ). I'm not a man-whore, I don't smoke, and I don't do drugs. I do enjoy the occasional drink, but apparently, to some people, that means I'm not a good person.

JxD
01-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I have nothing against edge kids as a whole, but I hate going to shows wondering if someone is going to pick a fight with me because I'm not edge (because it's happened a few times :/ )
I'm sorry about this. As a straight edge dude, I think it's embarrassing that I'm associated with anyone willing to take things this far. If straight edge had a Pope figure, said leader would have excommunicate the violent assholes because the whole "movement" (I use that word loosely and not without shame) is supposed to be personal and non-confrontational.

NY_FootBall49
01-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Not edge. Drink do drugs all the fun stuff. I don't mind edge as a life style but I feel just like religion the wrong people are representing it. To many people do it to seek attention and to be cool and even worse people use it to force their agendas unto other people. If your going to do it do it b/c its the right thing for you to do and understand its not right for everyone. So in general nice idea often abused by people. If you have to keep telling people your straight edge your obviously insecure about something.

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
01-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I never used to consider myself Straight Edge, I haven't touched drugs or smoking for years now and I also haven't touched alcohol for a good 3 years. I have recently though 'claimed Edge' as it were. My reasoning behind this is because I am sick and tired of being grouped in with 'young people'.

By the term 'young people' I mean the kind who go out every weekend and get utterly smashed and make total wankers out of themselves. Even if you say that you have a casual drink you are instantly lumped in with 'drinkers' and people judge you for that. Luckily around here we don't get the whole violent Edge kid lark so it doesn't have the negative connotations that it has in other parts of society.

To the people who ask 'Why bother saying you're Straight Edge, why not just say you don't drink?'; why do people call themselves vegetarians? Why not just say that you don't eat meat? Why do people bother to call themselves anything other than human? It's natural to want to belong to something with a name that is instantly recognisable and needs no in-depth explanation as to what it is you consider yourself a part of.

lookpizza
01-15-2010, 03:39 PM
dude seriously shut up

WTF is your problem?

IcePh0enix
01-15-2010, 03:59 PM
The ****'s yours?

Highschoolers can easily get drugs or alcohol at their age. Although peer pressure isn't like the anti drug propoganda videos make it look like, it still definitely happens. Claiming edge is somewhat of a commitment in my opinion. I think a person who has claimed edge is a lot less likely to try drugs or alcohol then someone who just considers themselves a person who just wants to obstains from those things.

If you think that straight edge high schoolers are less legitimate then adult straightedgers, I think you have a stupid opinion, but you're entitled to your opinion. However, saying that they are NOT straight edge is ridiculous and offensive. It's like telling Catholics that they aren't Christians or something. You're not the straight edge god, you're not even straight edge, so shut the hell up.

P.S. I personally think that anyone who doesn't smoke weed is missing out, but I still respect you straight edgers.

lookpizza
01-15-2010, 04:22 PM
The ****'s yours?

Highschoolers can easily get drugs or alcohol at their age. Although peer pressure isn't like the anti drug propoganda videos make it look like, it still definitely happens. Claiming edge is somewhat of a commitment in my opinion. I think a person who has claimed edge is a lot less likely to try drugs or alcohol then someone who just considers themselves a person who just wants to obstains from those things.

If you think that straight edge high schoolers are less legitimate then adult straightedgers, I think you have a stupid opinion, but you're entitled to your opinion. However, saying that they are NOT straight edge is ridiculous and offensive. It's like telling Catholics that they aren't Christians or something. You're not the straight edge god, you're not even straight edge, so shut the hell up.

P.S. I personally think that anyone who doesn't smoke weed is missing out, but I still respect you straight edgers.

My statement has already been discussed and explained. Maybe if you and handbanana had bothered reading the rest of the thread you would notice that.
Also I claimed straight edge in high school, a good portion of my friends claimed straight edge in high. Every single person I've met who claimed straight edge in high school has sold out by now and was edge for the wrong reasons. I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, and I'll admit my statement was extremely stereotypical and boisterous but you look like an idiot still arguing the point.

Edit: also you catholic / christian analogy is completely incorrect.. it's nothing like that.. it's like telling a high school student he isn't christian because even though he goes to church he doesn't really believe in god and will be an atheist in 4 years.

IcePh0enix
01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Meh, sorry about that. I saw handbanana's post and thought that you must have recently said it. Still, I think there's nothing wrong with going edge in high school if you're doing it for good reasons.

Internal Chaos
01-15-2010, 08:47 PM
For those say that straightedge kids are all violent, and while I agree that in Australia it seems like that, check this.

Straightedge Salt Lake City Terror:
Kids firebomb restaurants that sell meat and maim a group of smokers at a cafe
http://www.toefur-straightedge.com/x/straightedgenewsarticles/

Straightedge Street Gangs:
http://www.toefur-straightedge.com/x/straightedgenewsarticles/militantstraightedge.php
Interview with police and straightedge teenagers about the violence in Salt Lake City and how it's necessary to keep respect. Some 15 year old gets stabbed to death

FSU Shooting at Skrappy's:
FSU 'invade' a local youth center at a Donnybrook, Shattered Realm and Black My Heart show and an FSU member shoots someone in the head
http://www.punkbands.com/news/6678/

The third one has nothing to do with edge. FSU might have something to do with edge, not familiar with it, but that's just kids getting angry that other people are coming into their venue.

Unnecessary violence is all over hardcore, edge or not. I get pissed off when Newcastle kids come to Wyong to see bands play when they get better shows than us. I'd never shoot anyone though

Yngwi3
01-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Not straight edge myself but don't view people who are as any different.

CaptinSpalldin
01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm edge.

Honestly the whole high school has actually totally been exactly like the anti-drug propaganda shows it to be, but unless you hang out with total pushy assholes then when you say "Naw man I'm alright" they generally just say O.K., they don't like get in your face about it or anything.

I just feel like I get a better high when I'm doing PK or playing guitar than I would if I put some chemical in my body.

Also don't do any medicine, especially painkillers(unless I were to have surgery or something), but thats not really related to me being edge.

nashawa
01-15-2010, 09:18 PM
When you need aspirin, you need it. My ex wouldn't take it, but then I'd get 3am texts all the time about how bad her headaches were.

S'allmsayin

Amuro Jay
01-16-2010, 01:43 AM
When you need aspirin, you need it. My ex wouldn't take it, but then I'd get 3am texts all the time about how bad her headaches were.

S'allmsayin
Wait, no asprin? **** it.

CaptinSpalldin
01-16-2010, 01:47 AM

S'allmsayin
I just don't take any medicine.

No motrin, no aspirin, no painkillers, even when they put stitches in my head, no asthma medicine.

I guess the only thing that could count as "medicine" taht I use is my zit cream, and I don't count that because I'm not putting it in my body per se.

P1ayingW1thF1re
01-16-2010, 01:57 AM
Hi guys. Just want to say I'm straight edge. K bye.

nashawa
01-16-2010, 02:02 AM

No motrin, no aspirin, no painkillers, even when they put stitches in my head, no asthma medicine.

I guess the only thing that could count as "medicine" taht I use is my zit cream, and I don't count that because I'm not putting it in my body per se.

I know someone who won't take birth control because it alters their hormones, but they hate using condoms. I'm real surprised she isn't pregnant.

Magero
01-16-2010, 02:09 AM
Friend of mine is allergic to latex, she just got the implant in her arm.
I'm sorry about this. As a straight edge dude, I think it's embarrassing that I'm associated with anyone willing to take things this far. If straight edge had a Pope figure, said leader would have excommunicate the violent assholes because the whole "movement" (I use that word loosely and not without shame) is supposed to be personal and non-confrontational.
Well said.

+}-136-{+
01-16-2010, 02:10 AM

Why not?

nashawa
01-16-2010, 02:19 AM
Why not?
Because he wants to die when he's 40.

Medicine was invented for a reason. It's okay if you don't want to take it, I'm not judging you, but I don't think you've actually though this through as fully as you'd like me to believe you have.

CaptinSpalldin
01-16-2010, 03:01 AM
Because he wants to die when he's 40.

Medicine was invented for a reason. It's okay if you don't want to take it, I'm not judging you, but I don't think you've actually though this through as fully as you'd like me to believe you have.
I'm more healthy than most people I know, without using any of the routinely prescribed bullshit that doctors sell you that has a pretty good chance of being a placebo anyways.

I highly doubt I'm going to die when I'm fourty, I eat well, exercise often, all my refusal of medicine means I get by without all these stupid and ultimately pointless drugs that millions of people ingest every day without even knowing what's in them, and what its doing. I refuse to take any because I've never had a reason good enough.

"Have a headache? Take this pill!"

"Have a stomach ache??? take THIS Ppill!!!!!"

"Feeling dizzy? Take this!!!"

etc. etc., on and on.

All little tiny complains, like aspirins for headaches. A chemical for every complaint.

Especially when they wanted me to take painkillers when they re-broke my hand and put stitches in my head. I'm not trying to come off as a "tough guy" because I'm really far from it, but seriously, unless you have an incredibly low pain threshold you don't need things being put in your body unless it's going to be a major thing, like amputating limbs or serious surgery.

Where is it illogical to decide to live without dependence?

nashawa
01-16-2010, 03:08 AM
I'm more healthy than most people I know, without using any of the routinely prescribed bullshit that doctors sell you that has a pretty good chance of being a placebo anyways.

I highly doubt I'm going to die when I'm fourty, I eat well, exercise often, all my refusal of medicine means I get by without all these stupid and ultimately pointless drugs that millions of people ingest every day without even knowing what's in them, and what its doing. I refuse to take any because I've never had a reason good enough.

"Have a headache? Take this pill!"

"Have a stomach ache??? take THIS Ppill!!!!!"

"Feeling dizzy? Take this!!!"

etc. etc., on and on.

All little tiny complains, like aspirins for headaches. A chemical for every complaint.

Where is it illogical to decide to live without dependence?
Well, at least you actually DID put some thought into it. I retract my statement about you in particular. I get chronic migraines, and yeah, I'll take an aspirin if I get a migraine. Why? Because I need to go to school, I need to get up in the morning. I can't go through every day with excruciating pain.

Other than that, you actually don't seem to have anything against medicine in general if it's actually necessary, or maybe I'm wrong. I have friends who are bipolar, and they can be really dangerous and scary when they aren't on meds. It's one thing to talk against them taking meds, but experiencing it firsthand and then refuting that medicine is beneficial to some is just plain ignorant (again, I don't know if you actually think this or not, but I know people who do, and it really bothers me).

Cobrevolution
01-16-2010, 03:09 AM
Taking a couple of pills to relieve a bit of pain shouldn't qualify as dependence...

That being said, I had some crazy strain of a non-contagious flu-like thing back in the summer. I couldn't move because of how much pain I was in, my entire body was sore, my throat was raw, congested day in day out, always cold, diarrhea, lots of nausea, and immunity to any medication. Nyquil? Nah. I was taking shots of that shit and no effect.

The doctor prescribed something, and whatever it was, it worked.

I think the most illogical part of your reasoning is that there are "good chances the medicine is a placebo". That touches on illegal, don't you think? If doctors were to start prescribing medication that doesn't work?

CaptinSpalldin
01-16-2010, 03:14 AM
Taking a couple of pills to relieve a bit of pain shouldn't qualify as dependence...

That being said, I had some crazy strain of a non-contagious flu-like thing back in the summer. I couldn't move because of how much pain I was in, my entire body was sore, my throat was raw, congested day in day out, always cold, diarrhea, lots of nausea, and immunity to any medication. Nyquil? Nah. I was taking shots of that shit and no effect.

The doctor prescribed something, and whatever it was, it worked.

I think the most illogical part of your reasoning is that there are "good chances the medicine is a placebo". That touches on illegal, don't you think? If doctors were to start prescribing medication that doesn't work?
They do it all the time, especially when they're testing something new. they have a control group they give sugar pills to, then give the actual thing to others.

Surprisingly sometimes they have the same effects, like people with the sugar pills get better. But thats different.

my deal with most cold and flu medicines is that I've literally never gotten seriously ill, and I think a lack of supporting chemicals in my body has made my immune system that much stronger for it.

But this is off topic, so I'm going to leave this thread now.

handbanana
01-16-2010, 03:16 AM
The ****'s yours?

I agree with everything said here 110% and back it hard.

theres a kid in my local area who has claimed edge since he was like 11. but like he goes to shows, and i'd say he's pretty legit for a kid who's only like 14 now.

+}-136-{+
01-16-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm more healthy than most people I know, without using any of the routinely prescribed bullshit that doctors sell you that has a pretty good chance of being a placebo anyways

I'm in the same boat as you, pretty much, though I have to point out that this is wrong.
They do it all the time, especially when they're testing something new. they have a control group they give sugar pills to, then give the actual thing to others.
Doctors certainly do give placebos, but only when they're testing new medicine and when they're in a research facility and not a clinic. They don't give placebos to people who come looking for actual medicine, they give placebos to people who sign up for the experiment.

Cobrevolution
01-16-2010, 03:38 AM
Yeah, except they cannot give non-working medication to someone who requires working medication.

Magero
01-16-2010, 03:44 AM
Doctors certainly do give placebos, but only when they're testing new medicine and when they're in a research facility and not a clinic. They don't give placebos to people who come looking for actual medicine, they give placebos to people who sign up for the experiment.
This.

Thinking that Doctor's are gonna slip you placebos when you want pain meds is fucking paranoid. I can see why you don't like drugs man, but seriously, taking a few pain pills for something like a broken hand is not a big deal. Humans evolve coping mechanisms for this exact reason. You're claiming that a scientific improvement is a crutch and should be eliminated unless in the most severe cases.
You just sound like the kind of person who would advocate the non-wearing of manufactured clothing because we're perfectly capable of going out and hunting our own animals to wear.

*shrugs*

+}-136-{+
01-16-2010, 04:10 AM
I can see why you don't like drugs man, but seriously, taking a few pain pills for something like a broken hand is not a big deal. Humans evolve coping mechanisms for this exact reason. You're claiming that a scientific improvement is a crutch and should be eliminated unless in the most severe cases.
You just sound like the kind of person who would advocate the non-wearing of manufactured clothing because we're perfectly capable of going out and hunting our own animals to wear.
That's a bit of a stretch, I think. As I gather it, his main complaint was that people are highly dependent on medicine for curing every little thing that goes wrong. Pain pills for a broken hand don't exactly fit under that criteria.

I don't think he's said or implied that he believed scientific improvement is a crutch and should be eliminated. That's a complete strawman. He's simply explaining his personal reasons for not taking medicine. As far as I can see, he's not pushing anyone to believe the same.

My personal problem with Western medicine (pills, artificial chemicals, stuff of that sort, not "medicine from the Western hemisphere) is that it attempts to cure the symptom, and not the actual cause of the illness. In my experience with it, Western medicine has often been a hit or miss so I don't go to the doctor often, not that I get sick often to begin with. Sometimes the runny nose will go away, but then it'll come back as soon as I'm off the medicine. I don't have health insurance, so getting checkups cost so if I get sick, I just do the usual "drink plenty of water, get some sleep" and whatever else will help your body fight the illness. It usually works.

In cases of minor illnesses, I'd actually recommend doing that to taking medicine, since your body's immune system will become a stronger if you let it work on it's own naturally. If it's a serious sickness, then I have absolutely no issues with going to see the doctor.

Personal beliefs and pride should not be an issue here. It's just about knowing what's best for one's body.

mikevmpr3
01-16-2010, 04:26 AM
well..im 20..ive never been drunk or high..am i edge?

RPExecutor
01-16-2010, 04:47 AM
well..im 20..ive never been drunk or high..am i edge?

i guess the general consensus is that you have to claim it. seems kind of stupid, but there it is. i haven't done either and i wouldn't really call myself "edge". i just don't like the taste of alcohol or weed :haha:

djims
01-16-2010, 07:25 AM

http://www.mediafire.com/?nz2mzwzg1ne

01 - xIntrox
02 - xLust is Bustx
03 - xGet High-DRATEDx
04 - xPillsx
05 - xThis is a Beatdown, Faggotx
06 - x1 2 Fuck Youx
07 - xThe Warx
08 - xStraight Fucking Edgex

The site said it was an invalid link? Anywhere else I can download this?

Internal Chaos
01-16-2010, 07:29 AM
I'll get around too it, the link ****ed up and I don't have anything I've written any more. I'll pick it up in a week or so and upload it.