soundproofing a tin shed

PDA

View Full Version : soundproofing a tin shed

vjferrara
06-28-2009, 10:10 PM
exactly what is says folks. i just recently moved in to a house and i have a roomy. we have a shed in the backyard that has tin walls and roof. i need to soundproof it. only problem is that my band's budget is next to nothing because we are all college students. a friend of mine told me that egg crates and tar paper works best. i've heard that before but never had to use them so do any of you have success stories? if not, any suggestions?

Spike6sic6
06-28-2009, 10:11 PM
exactly what is says folks. i just recently moved in to a house and i have a roomy. we have a shed in the backyard that has tin walls and roof. i need to soundproof it. only problem is that my band's budget is next to nothing because we are all college students. a friend of mine told me that egg cartons and tar paper works best. i've heard that before but never had to use them so do any of you have success stories? if not, any suggestions?

Egg cartons.

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 10:13 PM
exactly what is says folks. i just recently moved in to a house and i have a roomy.

http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-ughh.gif

we have a shed in the backyard that has tin walls and roof.

i need to soundproof it. only problem is that my band's budget is next to nothing because we are all college students. a friend of mine told me that egg cartons and tar paper works best.

i've heard that before but never had to use them so do any of you have success stories? if not, any suggestions?

Basically take everything your friend told you and do the opposite...then ask him where he gets his crack.

vjferrara
06-28-2009, 10:16 PM
Egg cartons.

good or bad?

Basically take everything your friend told you and do the opposite...then ask him where he gets his crack.

how's about something helpful other than saying that my info wouldn't work?

Spike6sic6
06-28-2009, 10:21 PM
good or bad?

Good, from what I've heard.

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 10:25 PM
good or bad?

A tin shed is going to be hopeless man, the sound will reverberate like hell. My advice would be screw some dry wall up into the wall, then get some aluminum siding, put that on the dry wall in spaces and make sure it's about an inch in depth, then put more drywall onto the wall by fastening it to the aluminum siding.

If you put egg cartons and tar paper up it won't only look stupid, it will take forever to acquire what, like 200 egg cartons? Just buy 3 or 4 12 foot pieces of drywall and bam.

Plus, after the dry wall is up you can draw penises, titties, poo bums and vagoo's on it with permanent markers.. it makes for some fun entertainment during breaks.

itchy guitar
06-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Foambymail.com

Thank me later.

DirtyMakik
06-28-2009, 10:26 PM
good or bad?

He told you to do the opposite.

archangels
06-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Old carpets and mattresses.

Or if you can put up some sort of inner wall, fill the gap with sand.

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 10:30 PM

How would you fill a vertical wall with sand? I would love to hear an explanation on this.

sandman-105
06-28-2009, 10:37 PM
i think ur friend means eggcrates as inthis (http://www.foambymail.com/soundproofing.html) then go to products

vjferrara
06-28-2009, 10:39 PM

yeah, i'm putting up my mattress and box springs on the raftors. i'm thinking about going to goodwill and getting some old comforters too

Foambymail.com

Thank me later.

i thank you now but i've already been there. too expensive. the shed is about 15'x25' and about 15' at it's tallest point

i think ur friend means eggcrates as inthis (http://www.foambymail.com/soundproofing.html) then go to products

that's right. my fault. i meant to put crates. i'll fix that

Fenderhippie69
06-28-2009, 10:43 PM
i fail to understand this.

why would you want to sound proof a tin shed?

vjferrara
06-28-2009, 10:44 PM
i fail to understand this.

why would you want to sound proof a tin shed?

so that we can practice in it. my neighbors are a spit away from me in distance so i am trying to not have the cops called on me

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
so that we can practice in it. my neighbors are a spit away from me in distance so i am trying to not have the cops called on me

1. invite the neighbors over for a "bbq".

2. kill the neighbors

3. bury them in the basement for the lulz.

4. move into their house and start jamming in it

5. kill all the concerned family, work associates and investigators that come around asking questions.

6. bury the fresh bodies in the basement, again, for the lulz.

7. profit?

Fenderhippie69
06-28-2009, 10:48 PM
ohh. gotcha. :cool:

vjferrara
06-28-2009, 10:50 PM
1. invite the neighbors over for a "bbq".

2. kill the neighbors

3. bury them in the basement for the lulz.

4. move into their house and start jamming in it

5. kill all the concerned family, work associates and investigators that come around asking questions.

6. bury the fresh bodies in the basement, again, for the lulz.

7. profit?

one of the neighbors is a professor of mine. an actual good one too. one of the few music teachers that hasn't given up on students and actually cares so the "bbq" thing wouldn't work.
no basement.

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 10:52 PM
one of the neighbors is a professor of mine. an actual good one too. one of the few music teachers that hasn't given up on students and actually cares so the "bbq" thing wouldn't work.
no basement.

:haha

While reading your response I have to admit I laughed...it's almost as if you considered it and analyzed it point by point.

archangels
06-28-2009, 10:56 PM
How would you fill a vertical wall with sand? I would love to hear an explanation on this.
A vertical wall? No, no, good sir! I meant a horizontal wall.

:rolleyes:

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 10:57 PM
A vertical wall? No, no, good sir! I meant a horizontal wall.

Well what would you call a floor? I walk on my horizontal walls daily.. :rolleyes:

Fenderhippie69
06-28-2009, 10:58 PM
a sudden thought hit me.

you live with your room mate who you jam with?

if so who needs a living room? make that your place of practice.

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 10:59 PM
How are you going to get power to the tin shed? A ****load of extention cords and power bars?

vjferrara
06-28-2009, 11:02 PM
:haha

While reading your response I have to admit I laughed...it's almost as if you considered it and analyzed it point by point.

is it sad that i did?

How are you going to get power to the tin shed? A ****load of extention cords and power bars?

only 2 extension cords and 2 power strips until i can get power out there

a sudden thought hit me.

you live with your room mate who you jam with?

if so who needs a living room? make that your place of practice.

i live with a room mate that doesn't jam. sorry if i wasn't clear on that

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 11:05 PM
i live with a room mate that doesn't jam. sorry if i wasn't clear on that

Just make him your drummer then...it's a perfect job for non-musicians

Gyroscope
06-28-2009, 11:08 PM
icwutudidthar

vjferrara
06-28-2009, 11:18 PM

SHE is an art major... wouldn't put her near an instrument

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 11:19 PM
SHE is an art major... wouldn't put her near an instrument

Yeah who ever heard of artists or women being drummers....

:confused:

Question.

Have you ever put it in her butt?

Zoot Allures
06-28-2009, 11:22 PM

reported. Unhelpful spamming up of a valid question.

TS. egg cartons should do the job but anything thats gonna break the sound up or absorb it would help, seriously. Soft fabric. egg cartons and remember to get something soft on the floor to minimize unwanted reverb from that , rugs or carpet would do fine

Dwight Schrute

TS. egg cartons should do the job but anything thats gonna break the sound up or absorb it would help, seriously. Soft fabric. egg cartons and remember to get something soft on the floor to minimize unwanted reverb from that , rugs or carpet would do fine

vjferrara
Yeah who ever heard of artists or women being drummers....

:confused:

Question.

Have you ever put it in her butt?

haven't put it in her butt yet... maybe when i get her drunk though :D

cool. my roomy actually works at cracker barrel so she is going to get some cartons from there for me. i'll probably use about 300 of them. the floor is dirt so i am putting some tarps down first and then some carpet on top

watchingmefall
06-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Well what would you call a floor? I walk on my horizontal walls daily.. :rolleyes:
It's not the same a wall has to have rigidity element to counteract the x, y and z momentums and considerations regarding heat, humidity and sound and the passing of instalations in a vertical and horizontal manner without forgetting the vertical striaghtening elements. Floors apply some of the same concepts but the rigid element are disposed in the manner of a net instead of regular steel rods or wooden bars. ;)

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 11:24 PM
haven't put it in her butt yet... maybe when i get her drunk though :D

Interesting..so you said "yet" implying you have indeed put it in her vagoo. Was it nice?

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 11:25 PM
It's not the same a wall has to have rigidity element to counteract the x, y and z momentums and considerations regarding heat, humidity and sound. Floors apply some of the same concepts but the rigid element are disposed in the manner of a net instead of regular steel rods or wooden bars. ;)

:golfclap:

vjferrara
06-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Interesting..so you said "yet" implying you have indeed put it in her vagoo. Was it nice?

it was quite enjoyable. she has red hair upstairs and down there... quite enjoyable

Zoot Allures
06-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Whats up? :rolleyes:

Dwight Schrute
06-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Oh snap..Captain Internets is back in the pit? :rolleyes:

Fat-bastard0603
06-29-2009, 12:01 AM
it was quite enjoyable. she has red hair upstairs and down there... quite enjoyable

Pics. :)

chea_man
06-29-2009, 12:06 AM
NOTHING you will get for cheap will "sound proof" your shed. it might absorb some high frequencies, but it will deflect most sounds. your not just going to "get rid" of excess sounds. plus if your shed is anything like every other shed ive ever seen, it will most likely act as a giant vibrating membrane that will work to spread your sound out over your entire neighborhood.

vjferrara
06-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Pics. :)

post pics so you can wank and i get banned from ug? that would be a negative ghost rider

NOTHING you will get for cheap will "sound proof" your shed. it might absorb some high frequencies, but it will deflect most sounds. your not just going to "get rid" of excess sounds. plus if your shed is anything like every other shed ive ever seen, it will most likely act as a giant vibrating membrane that will work to spread your sound out over your entire neighborhood.

that is a problem. what i was hoping to do after i fix all of the holes in the shed was tar paper the inside of it. the entire inside including the roof. that way there will be minimal vibration. if i have to do 2 layers i will. tar paper isn't that expensive and is usually half an inch to an inch thick. then i was going to put anything i can find up over the tar paper. ie: egg cartons, comforters, and etc... hopefully that will kill most of the sound

Fat-bastard0603
06-29-2009, 01:44 AM
post pics so you can wank and i get banned from ug? that would be a negative ghost rider

I never said post nude pics of her. :peace: