Blacks in punk

PDA

View Full Version : Blacks in punk

lavazza
07-02-2009, 05:25 AM
Though punk integrates everybody (maybe except for assholes), not many blacks are playing in punk bands......

The Bad Brains
the singer of Cupid Stunt

so thatīs no so much......I think I know more and canīt remember, you know any?

Bottle of Dirt
07-02-2009, 05:32 AM
I don't know of any in bands aside from Bad Brains.
There aren't many blacks in the scene because punk, even to this day, still gets associated with Nazis. It's the same with Skinheads, there's more blacks than you'd think by going by public opinion.

Stupid Nazi bull**** gets attached to too many things it has barely anything to do with.

BrianApocalypse
07-02-2009, 06:45 AM
This thread is actually pretty racist, because you're drawing attention to ethnicity.

DH Peligro.

radio_schizo
07-02-2009, 06:53 AM
Bubba Dupree from Void
Ivan Julian Richard Hell
3/4 of Trash Talk
Poly Styrene from X-Ray Specs
DH Peligro from DK

urm...sure there's more.

RockThe40oz
07-02-2009, 06:57 AM
In America at least, the lack of black people in punk isn't due to the structure of the punk culture. It's due to the structure of modern black culture. You either act like a thug to gain respect on the streets or you act extra proper to get respect in society. I mean, how many black emo kids have you seen? If you act like that, you'd get harassed even worse than a white emo kid does.

Adam_Harrison9
07-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Whole Wheat Bread has got some black dudes in I think.

RizzoWashburn
07-02-2009, 10:01 AM
wow...

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 10:05 AM
In America at least, the lack of black people in punk isn't due to the structure of the punk culture. It's due to the structure of modern black culture. You either act like a thug to gain respect on the streets or you act extra proper to get respect in society. I mean, how many black emo kids have you seen? If you act like that, you'd get harassed even worse than a white emo kid does.

or you act like yourself...?

try to sound a little less ignorant next time you have something to say.

neidnarb11890
07-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Black people have held a grudge against punks ever since we let Dee Dee make a rap album.

werty22
07-02-2009, 11:50 AM
or you act like yourself...?

try to sound a little less ignorant next time you have something to say.
I think you missed his point.

TheHowling
07-02-2009, 12:03 PM
This thread is actually pretty racist, because you're drawing attention to ethnicity.

DH Peligro.

Pointing out the fact that there aren't many blacks in Punk Rock bands isn't racist.

Greenfinger182
07-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Oh boy.

Another thread where everyone gets to act like they're the most morally pure person in here.

BrianApocalypse
07-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Pointing out the fact that there aren't many blacks in Punk Rock bands isn't racist.

Yes it is racism, because it means that ethnicity is an issue, and it should not be.

Genetic makeup is irrelevant (except for people with serious inheritable genetic diseases, who should be forcibly sterilised, or possibly even gassed) to why people should associate themselves with certain social groups when they have multiple social groups to belong to.

While I do concede that a person's colour often does have an impact on their social character, this is only down to tradition, typically immigrant areas who (out of ease) band together rather than share their culture with their new communities, which I think is a real shame, and I also think that people who do this (communities are generally led by old people) are conservative bastards no better than the white racist f*ckers people who have a problem with them. I went into an asian grocery store the other day, and they were a bit weird about serving me because I'm white. If anything, the 'us and them' mindset that everyone is into only creates racial tension. But at the same time, I can't drag these communities into the pub and have a multi-cultural get together because neither side seems to want that.

The ONLY reason that ethnicity is even a concept is because minorities and majorities are very slow to break down barriers and integrate with each other. Don't get me wrong, things are progressing - As an example, I'm happy to see an increase in mixed race couples, that's boner fide progress. :)

IlikeTheSKA
07-02-2009, 01:27 PM
:rolleyes:

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 01:30 PM
I think you missed his point.

i think he could have made his point better. i know what he's talking about. we blacks have a saying for that.

"you're always too black for the white man and too white for the black man."

not all of us are influence by this as we can see through the bull**** and be ourselves regardless of what society says we should do.

i don't like to be generalized. nor does anyone else. particuarly not by someone outside of the group who probably doesn't know what they're talking about...

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 01:31 PM

QUESTION: why the hell does it matter what the ethnic makeup of the punk scene is?

yeahyeah
07-02-2009, 02:00 PM
It is interesting from the sociological perspective.

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:04 PM
It is interesting from the sociological perspective.

i suppose so... i just didn't like the comment i addressed previously. i really don't have a big problem with the topic, because there are a lot of areas where you typically won't find black guys... country music... golf courses... etc.

so i don't really have a problem with the discussion of this "phenomenon"--if you will. i just have a problem with some of the theories people come up with in an attempt to explain said phenomenon. can you dig it?

axeslash
07-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Oh boy.

Another thread where everyone gets to act like they're the most morally pure person in here.Well put my good man. Well put.

Punk was always about middle-to-lower class white kids. Not that punk was exclusionary to minorities, but when you have a subculture started primarily by white kmids the majority of the people who are gonna understand where those white kids are coming from are other white kids. 'Bout as simple as that.

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Punk was always about middle-to-lower class white kids. Not that punk was exclusionary to minorities, but when you have a subculture started primarily by white kmids the majority of the people who are gonna understand where those white kids are coming from are other white kids. 'Bout as simple as that.

most level-headed thing i've read in here yet.

lavazza
07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Why isnīt there such a discussion in the half-year appearing threads about women in punk?

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Black people have held a grudge against punks ever since we let Dee Dee make a rap album.

... and i'm not sure what this means

yeahyeah
07-02-2009, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vagvlZqjMz0

lolmnt
07-02-2009, 02:16 PM
It is interesting from the sociological perspective.It is. In fact if I get the chance to, I'll write about it for my sociology class.

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:19 PM
It is. In fact if I get the chance to, I'll write about it for my sociology class.

i feel like there are better topics for a sociology paper.

lavazza
07-02-2009, 02:22 PM
^thatīs exactly whatīs the topic of sociology, something like "Why is the black minority not so attracted to a subculture like punk?"

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:27 PM
^thatīs exactly whatīs the topic of sociology, something like "Why is the black minority not so attracted to a subculture like punk?"

the answer to that is simple, though. it's not something we're typically raised with. i mean there's nothing deep behind that.

lolmnt
07-02-2009, 02:28 PM
i feel like there are better topics for a sociology paper.It's not like I'm going to get it published. Why not write about something that interests me? I've already used the punk subculture as examples in several papers and essay questions.

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:32 PM
It's not like I'm going to get it published. Why not write about something that interests me? I've already used the punk subculture as examples in several papers and essay questions.

i suppose so... i just think the answer to the question is entirely too simple, that's all.

i mean you don't see a bunch of white kids groovin' to celia cruz on their way to work either. i don't think it's a big mystery why salsa isn't big in the caucasian community...

lavazza
07-02-2009, 02:32 PM
the answer to that is simple, though. it's not something we're typically raised with. i mean there's nothing deep behind that.

maybe itīs obvious, but you can just answer it from a trivial, normative perspective......though writing something empiric is a bit more complicated

lolmnt
07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
i suppose so... i just think the answer to the question is entirely too simple, that's all.Not really. Especially when you compare it to the different sociological points of view. There's a lot more to it than just "Who they spend their time with."

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
maybe itīs obvious, but you can just answer it from a trivial, normative perspective......though writing something empiric is a bit more complicated

yea. i always found it much more interest to write or read something that didn't state the obvious for 3 or more pages, dig?

lavazza
07-02-2009, 02:37 PM
^since Colemanīs bathtub we know that you have to go through the micro-perspective before making a makro conclusion ;)

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Not really. Especially when you compare it to the different sociological points of view. There's a lot more to it than just "Who they spend their time with."

i think that's entirely the case. your taste in music is a result of what you've been exposed to. and how do you get exposed to things? by being around them. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most black people are probably raised by one or more black people who were also raised by one or more black people they probably weren't exposing the to punk music much like i imagine most white parents aren't playing lil jon and the east side boys or tito puente records for their children.

music is just as much a part of a culture as the way we dress and speak. black people are not naturally drawn to this form of music because it's culturally foreign...

axeslash
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM
i think that's entirely the case. your taste in music is a result of what you've been exposed to. and how do you get exposed to things? by being around them. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that most black people are probably raised by one or more black people who were also raised by one or more black people they probably weren't exposing the to punk music much like i imagine most white parents aren't playing lil jon and the east side boys or tito puente records for their children.

music is just as much a part of a culture as the way we dress and speak. black people are not naturally drawn to this form of music because it's culturally foreign...You're the first new person this summer that I don't hate.

High five :five:

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:46 PM
You're the first new person this summer that I don't hate.

High five :five:

nice! :D

glad i could uhh... not get on your nerves...? :haha:

axeslash
07-02-2009, 02:47 PM
nice! :D

glad i could uhh... not get on your nerves...? :haha:It's quite a rare occurrence.

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:49 PM
It's quite a rare occurrence.

it seems like every forum i join everyone hates on the newbies. then again, now that i've been on a couple of them for a little while i see a lot of newbies that kinda **** it up for everyone else.

lolmnt
07-02-2009, 02:49 PM

music is just as much a part of a culture as the way we dress and speak. black people are not naturally drawn to this form of music because it's culturally foreign...If I was using the Conflict perspective my thesis statement would be something like "Blacks are kept out of the punk subculture because of a 'ruling class' who keeps them out" (that was a horrible thesis statement). Then I could go into the reason people join subcultures being that they feel oppressed by the culture and need an outlet to rebel (Again, this is horrible). There's a lot more to writing sociology papers. Most of the time my professor assigns the conflict perspective to people whose last name starts with A-M, and N-Z gets the Functionalist perspective.

sgshredder33
07-02-2009, 02:51 PM

:cheers:

axeslash
07-02-2009, 02:52 PM
it seems like every forum i join everyone hates on the newbies. then again, now that i've been on a couple of them for a little while i see a lot of newbies that kinda **** it up for everyone else.I don't hate on new people because they're new. It's just that I've so far hated 95% of them. So I just preemptively hate all new people knowing that the numbers are on my side.

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I don't hate on new people because they're new. It's just that I've so far hated 95% of them. So I just preemptively hate all new people knowing that the numbers are on my side.

so about 5 minutes ago you were preemptively hating me? :haha:

werty22
07-02-2009, 02:54 PM
[...]particuarly not by someone outside of the group who probably doesn't know what they're talking about...
Fair enough. I can see how it could come off as kind of patronizing.

Edit: I probably thought you "missed the point" because you're not a regular here, and, like axeslash, I preemptively assumed you were an idiot before you elaborated on your opinions.

axeslash
07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
so about 5 minutes ago you were preemptively hating me? :haha:Yup. But now we're good. :cool:

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 03:23 PM
haha. fair enough. ;)

lavazza
07-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Jordan please close this thread

mastaofrocknrol
07-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Wasn`t their one in the Dead Kennedys once?

charliezard!
07-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Though punk integrates everybody (maybe except for assholes)

Dude. Where have you been?

TheHowling
07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Yes it is racism, because it means that ethnicity is an issue, and it should not be.

Genetic makeup is irrelevant (except for people with serious inheritable genetic diseases, who should be forcibly sterilised, or possibly even gassed) to why people should associate themselves with certain social groups when they have multiple social groups to belong to.

While I do concede that a person's colour often does have an impact on their social character, this is only down to tradition, typically immigrant areas who (out of ease) band together rather than share their culture with their new communities, which I think is a real shame, and I also think that people who do this (communities are generally led by old people) are conservative bastards no better than the white racist f*ckers people who have a problem with them. I went into an asian grocery store the other day, and they were a bit weird about serving me because I'm white. If anything, the 'us and them' mindset that everyone is into only creates racial tension. But at the same time, I can't drag these communities into the pub and have a multi-cultural get together because neither side seems to want that.

The ONLY reason that ethnicity is even a concept is because minorities and majorities are very slow to break down barriers and integrate with each other. Don't get me wrong, things are progressing - As an example, I'm happy to see an increase in mixed race couples, that's boner fide progress. :)

I don't care. It's not racist. He's not saying blacks aren't as good as whites. That would be racist, or implying that one race is superior to another. He's just simply pointing out that face that there aren't as many blacks as whites in Punk Rock bands.

konfyouzd
07-02-2009, 05:02 PM
it's not racist... it's just a silly question. i thought we'd already covered this...

axeslash
07-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Fair enough. I can see how it could come off as kind of patronizing.

Edit: I probably thought you "missed the point" because you're not a regular here, and, like axeslash, I preemptively assumed you were an idiot before you elaborated on your opinions.To be fair, Steve did say the most Republican thing about racial relations that you possibly could.

Mack56
07-02-2009, 05:32 PM
hahaha. my "actual black guy" mojo was stolen. what a shame.

But it seems to me that you guys forget that punk subculture is just as exclusive as every other group. One (generalizing) group of people started the idea of punk and that's the demographic that's pulled towards it most.

and on the subject of black people being sparce in the punk community, (i can't be bothered to go find the quote) like the other guy said, when you're black if you try to just please yourself with what you do, you don't please anyone else. You're not black enough, you're too black. If i had a nickel for every time i heard "you know, you're the whitest black guy i know"...

RockThe40oz
07-02-2009, 05:40 PM
i think he could have made his point better. i know what he's talking about.

Sheesh... sorry I didn't add the qualifier of "in order to avoid persecution from media-formed black culture."

not all of us are influence by this as we can see through the bull**** and be ourselves regardless of what society says we should do.

Yeah, because as a punk, I have never dealt with being myself regardless of societal norms. :rolleyes:

i don't like to be generalized. nor does anyone else. particuarly not by someone outside of the group who probably doesn't know what they're talking about...
And I don't like the generalization that no white people know anything about black culture. Of course I'm speaking in generalizations because it's a general question. I can't be bothered to go into every individual case.

EDIT: To clarify...

I understand that the main reason there aren't very many black kids in punk is because they're not exposed to it... Nobody is, and even lesser so in the black community, I'm sure. I'm more addressing that I believe that the harassment received from their peers would be worse than the typical experience of a white guy entering the punk scene.

Except of course when a white guy from a super f*cking redneck area becomes a punk... I'd imagine that would be awful considering almost every drunken redneck I come across makes some comment about me being a f*g.

BrianApocalypse
07-02-2009, 05:52 PM
I just decided to switch to the UG Black Style, but then I switched back because I didn't like it so much.

Is that racist?

axeslash
07-02-2009, 05:57 PM
I just decided to switch to the UG Black Style, but then I switched back because I didn't like it so much.

Is that racist?A little bit.

BrianApocalypse
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
A little bit.

Well, to be truthful, it's not that I don't like it, it actually looks wayyy cooler than UG Classic, it just hurts my eyes.

As you're know doubt aware, I am quite the antagonistic b*stard, so I thought that mentioning that little snippet would no doubt be tasteless and innappropriate.

lavazza
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
^I use black style.....it came and for half a year I thought thereīs no choice, they just changed the design and now iīm used to it

it's not racist... it's just a silly question. i thought we'd already covered this...

why is it a silly question?
I mean itīs from a certain interest, especially for those who donīt usually get in contact with many (afro-)americans

original=punk
07-02-2009, 06:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbud8rLejLM

axeslash
07-02-2009, 06:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbud8rLejLMDear fucking God I feel dumber already.

Donovant22
07-02-2009, 06:54 PM
I think it has to do with the culture. If a white kid has a lot of angst he wants to get out in music he joins a punk band. If a black kid has a lot of angst and he wants to get it out in music he becomes a rapper.

Purely a cultural observation.

Donovant22
07-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Dear fucking God I feel dumber already.

What, you can't like punk and musical theatre?

RizzoWashburn
07-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I think it has to do with the culture. If a white kid has a lot of angst he wants to get out in music he joins a punk band. If a black kid has a lot of angst and he wants to get it out in music he becomes a rapper.

Purely a cultural observation.
This is the most ignorant thing thats been said so far in this thread.

BR0KENHEARTED
07-02-2009, 08:09 PM

Beat me to it shiii

http://t-rex.hobix.com/archives/deedeemc.jpg

axeslash
07-03-2009, 05:13 AM
What, you can't like punk and musical theatre?What, if I say "yes" are you gonna act all superior because you have more varied tastes? If I tell you that I don't like musical theater are you gonna say something dumb like "I guess you're not cultured" or even worse "you need to be more open-minded"?

wshnationals
07-03-2009, 09:52 AM
i prefer Punks in black.

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 12:11 PM
What, if I say "yes" are you gonna act all superior because you have more varied tastes? If I tell you that I don't like musical theater are you gonna say something dumb like "I guess you're not cultured" or even worse "you need to be more open-minded"?

Do I sound like that big an asshole? That's not what I meant at all. That was supposed to be a joke. :(

pinheadslts75
07-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Any one listen to the first Body Count album?

I thought it was pretty much a punk record.

Leonheart
07-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Building Better Bombs is some great shit.
http://www.myspace.com/buildingbetterbombs

DempseyPunk
07-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Mcrad if that counts and Pour Habit is pretty good. I think there are 3 black guys and a white drummer...or 2/2. the singer and drummer are awesome guys.

RockThe40oz
07-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Any one listen to the first Body Count album?

I thought it was pretty much a punk record.
Body Count is sooooo bad.

bucky_2300
07-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Black people don't listen to punk because punk has never tried to appeal to black sensibilities. Case in point, punk's popular genesis as a reaction to disco, Fleetwood-Mac styled rock and roll, "dinosaur rock" like Pink Floyd, etc. All of which are musical forms that owe their roots to blues, soul, funk, etc. Hell, Johnny Ramone once said that the Ramones' music was "Pure white rock and roll, with no blues influences". Musically, punk was geared to alienate blacks, and the appeal to the suburban white kid cemented that image.

axeslash
07-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Another problem is that with the lack of blacks in punks a lot of these kids have no fucking idea what black people are like. That is to say, they think they're all some crazy people with a completely different set of ideals hell-bent on hating white people and staying within the comfortable stereotype that's been made for them.

Half of the kids in this thread are racist, and it makes me sad.

RockThe40oz
07-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Another problem is that with the lack of blacks in punks a lot of these kids have no fucking idea what black people are like. That is to say, they think they're all some crazy people with a completely different set of ideals hell-bent on hating white people and staying within the comfortable stereotype that's been made for them.

Half of the kids in this thread are racist, and it makes me sad.
My childhood up until high school was spent immersed in low-income black culture. I'm just speaking from my observations of what it's like growing up in that atmosphere.

I'd insert an obligatory "My good friend is black, so I can't be racist" statement, but that'd be false since they all abandoned me once we ended up in a mostly-white high school and it was no longer cool to talk to the nerdy white kid.

axeslash
07-04-2009, 07:24 PM
My childhood up until high school was spent immersed in low-income black culture. I'm just speaking from my observations of what it's like growing up in that atmosphere.

I'd insert an obligatory "My good friend is black, so I can't be racist" statement, but that'd be false since they all abandoned me once we ended up in a mostly-white high school and it was no longer cool to talk to the nerdy white kid.That wasn't directed at you Steve but I'm glad you can show us how defensive you are.

RockThe40oz
07-04-2009, 07:29 PM
That wasn't directed at you Steve but I'm glad you can show us how defensive you are.
Ehh, I already got attacked for "not knowing what I'm talking about" once in this thread, so I don't think it was too far off to think you could have been including me in your statement.

All in all, if somebody here thinks I'm racist or just uninformed it doesn't really matter.. just thought I'd try to explain where my point of view comes from.

axeslash
07-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Ehh, I already got attacked for "not knowing what I'm talking about" once in this thread, so I don't think it was too far off to think you could have been including me in your statement.

All in all, if somebody here thinks I'm racist or just uninformed it doesn't really matter.. just thought I'd try to explain where my point of view comes from.I already made fun of you for sayin' the most Republican thing you could. You either act like a thug to gain respect on the streets or you act extra proper to get respect in society.I mean come on. Really now?

RockThe40oz
07-04-2009, 08:23 PM
I already made fun of you for sayin' the most Republican thing you could. I mean come on. Really now?
It's somewhat out of context since I never provided the context. haha.

It probably comes across as me saying those are the only two types of black attitudes. That's not what I was saying. More like the "too black for the white man and too white for the black man" type thing that just came out exaggerated.

It does, however, seem that there's a much narrower spectrum of predominantly black subcultures as compared to predominantly white sub-cultures. I'd be hard pressed to say I know any scene kids, folk punk kids, hipsters, juggalo's, rednecks, etc. that are black. I have met plenty of black people that aren't thug rapper wannabes, but very few that buy into music-based cultures.

I'm not trying to make any assumptions, just observations. This is supposed to be the discussion, right? It's too hard to have these race-based discussions since it's such a touchy issue with everybody and nobody wants to offend anybody else... as somebody else put it, it's a great chance for everybody to express just how accepting they are...

Who knows... maybe it has to do with upbringing. Maybe it has to do with surrounding. Maybe it has to do with the wealth divide. Maybe it has something to do with chance. Maybe it's because of what the queers are doing to our soil. Maybe it has nothing to do with anything. I'm not a sociologist and won't pretend to be, but I do find it interesting that these music-based cultures are always so predominantly white. Who knows... maybe I'm just oblivious to some thriving, underground, black-dominated music culture scene just like they're oblivious to the thriving punk scene.

-core
07-04-2009, 09:18 PM
none of you have any ****ing clue what black people think so quit trying to come up with an answer. One of the only reason you never see black poeple in punk or rock at all is that some other blacks think it crazy dumb white people music. Some of them have the same mindset that white people have towards rap. they are two complete different things that the two races dont grow up with.

The person that started this thread is stupid and has probably never talked to a black person.

Id also like to point out im black.

RockThe40oz
07-04-2009, 09:28 PM
First of all, I don't know anybody that thinks rap is "crazy dumb black people music."

Second of all, what exactly are you trying to say? That enough black people think punk is "crazy dumb white people music" so they avoid it completely? And if your assumption is correct (which it's not), and black people view punk in the same way white people view rap, why do so many white people love rap?

Honestly, you some more ridiculous than anybody else in this thread has.

-core
07-04-2009, 09:34 PM
First of all, I don't know anybody that thinks rap is "crazy dumb black people music."

Second of all, what exactly are you trying to say? That enough black people think punk is "crazy dumb white people music" so they avoid it completely? And if your assumption is correct (which it's not), and black people view punk in the same way white people view rap, why do so many white people love rap?

Honestly, you some more ridiculous than anybody else in this thread has.

I say all of this because its what Ive heard some of my black freinds say. Honestly I think I explained that wrong you cant really understand unless your black but this thread really is dumb

RockThe40oz
07-04-2009, 09:36 PM
I say all of this because its what Ive heard some of my black freinds say. Honestly I think I explained that wrong you cant really understand unless your black but this thread really is dumb
No, saying we can't understand something unless we're black really is dumb. You're just an idiot who can't explain himself and makes claims on the grounds that you speak for all black people. What you're saying puts me under the impression that black people avoid anything that is considered to be a "dumb white thing." Is this what you're trying to say?

StreetLight3989
07-04-2009, 09:58 PM
The thread isn't dumb, it's an interesting conversation. Punk isn't big a part of black culture and black culture isn't really open to punk is basically what you're saying, or at least how I'm interpreting it. It's not really a big part of white culture either but "rock" music based counter cultures seem to be more of a part of white culture. I think it's interesting that there isn't a lot of racial diversity in a racially accepting scene such as punk rock. The thread isn't dumb or racist at all in my opinion.

RizzoWashburn
07-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Pointing this out is useless. You don't speak for every black person in the world and it seems kind of bigoted in the first place that you would assume this makes anything you say any more valid.

you cant really understand unless your black
This is also bigoted as it seems that you're trying to say that black people and white people somehow all think differently and have inherently different capacities for understanding things.

Using race as a basis for an argument is pointless because all it means is that we look different.

In the end, Why the **** does it matter?

BostonLacrosse
07-05-2009, 12:43 AM
I do know that Evan Greer, a folk punk acoustic artist, supports and promotes a fair amount of black music, he is very ingrained in the roots and soul music, which shares some similarities to the punk scene, at least the political punk scene, in the messages it promotes. I myself haven't been involved in that scene so i cannot speak from experiance but i do know it exists and i think that alot of the punks could get behind this message.

If you want to check out what im poorly trying to say then go to http://www.myspace.com/evangreer and take a look at his top friends. I hope this will provide a new look at an underground black culture that is being connected to the punk culture.

werty22
07-05-2009, 01:15 AM
This thread is pretty dumb. There's no way anyone can say anything without appearing a little bit ignorant in some way.

andrew12398
07-05-2009, 01:20 AM
The whole band of 'Whole Wheat Bread'

axeslash
07-05-2009, 05:03 AM
none of you have any ****ing clue what black people think so quit trying to come up with an answer. One of the only reason you never see black poeple in punk or rock at all is that some other blacks think it crazy dumb white people music. Some of them have the same mindset that white people have towards rap. they are two complete different things that the two races dont grow up with.

The person that started this thread is stupid and has probably never talked to a black person.

Id also like to point out im black.I like how you've just stated what's already been said in this thread but in a much dumber and incorrect way. Way to really contribute to the thread.

Also, the irony in his user-title is hilarious.

soccermom
07-05-2009, 06:09 AM
This thread is a little pointless, but 'some of your black friends' =/= Black People On A Whole.
You have to think about region, nation, age sex etc. Your not just Black and white, your a lot of other things too.

RockThe40oz
07-05-2009, 08:12 AM
This thread is pretty dumb. There's no way anyone can say anything without appearing a little bit ignorant in some way.
Yeah, unfortunately that's why nobody can ever have a race-based discussion. Word something just slightly incorrectly and all of a sudden you're a racist. You're misinformed in something and you're a racist. One incorrect assumption and you're a racist.

It's the worst kind of discussion because there's no room for error and you constantly have to worry about everybody's feelings.

Bottle of Dirt
07-05-2009, 06:59 PM

I'd like to start this off with a picture of me and both my sisters
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8089/92794658.jpg (http://img34.imageshack.us/i/92794658.jpg/)

That was about two years ago. If you notice, we're all half black. We all grew up listening to hip hop, blues, funk, rap, all that typical black american music. We were all raised to fear and respect our father and god. We ****ed up, we got hit, we didn't do good in school we got hit. A domineering father who hit our mom and busted his ass, cheated on our mom. I grew up the typical lower-middle class black family way for the first 10 years of my life.

I can honestly remember the first time I was actually exposed to rock, my grandpa(on my mom's side, this bad ass little Asian guy who drove an f350 that was lifted) gave me a cd player and a Flinstones cd that had all these songs on it and some of them were very rock and roll compared to what I had been exposed to at that point. The music struck something in me and the music I had grown up on wasn't good enough for me anymore.
To black people, punk has no clear rhythm; no actual beat. They don't see it as something flows and lives. They hear noise, pissed off lyrics and subject matters that don't line up with their beliefs. I know this for a fact because I've actually asked several black people who I used to associate with(before they stopped talking to me because I "Dun fit in wit dus no moe.") I've even asked my grandma and her response was something like "It sounds like they aren't happy with the world but don't have the power to change it obviously so they put it in their music and hope they can change a few minds or at least show the world how they feel and maybe get some other people to stand up and fight to." Something like that, it was a few years ago.
Simple fact, black people don't like punk because it's not something they're exposed to as kids. White kids who grew up with parents that listened to hair metal and older rock were still exposed to music that still had that tinge of punk to it, that "I'm me" aspect that is really hard to find in rap these days. Black people don't see it like that though.
When you're raised in a not so great area(which most blacks are raised in) you have to have friends to survive. Would rather risk your life because of something you might prefer differently or would you rather fit in and live?
I made my choice, I've been shot at more times then I care to tell my family, I've been in 5 fights(actual punches being thrown not just words) this year already because I have a mohawk and don't dress or act like a normal black person. Because, as 90% of people who know me(including my mom) have said to me "you're the whitest black man I could ever know"

Sorry that was so long, I'm just really bored and sore right now.

RockThe40oz
07-05-2009, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't say you're the whitest black man... I'd say you're the most gangsta punk ever.

Bottle of Dirt
07-05-2009, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't say you're the whitest black man... I'd say you're the most gangsta punk ever.

Aww, thank you :D
I think it's more about how I act, talk, and my beliefs then just appearance though.

RockThe40oz
07-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Aww, thank you :D
I think it's more about how I act, talk, and my beliefs then just appearance though.
Haha. Well, I was talking more about your upbringing and surrounding anyways. It's much more gangsta than your typical middle-class white punk kid whose biggest fear is that some redneck might call you a f*g and maybe beat you up.

the glue man
07-06-2009, 12:10 AM
All I know is that I got the jungle fever

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3108/2656404984_31397e7cc6.jpg?v=0

pistols
07-06-2009, 12:33 AM
man, what happened to the punk forum? haha

i'll give you some input about my area, and some responses to the few posts i've read.

i have never, ever heard punk associated with naziism. and as someone who has met a few of nazis, i know that they never call their music punk, they call it RAC (rock against communism.)
asking why there aren't many black people in punk isn't racist. that's like saying that drinking 2 beers a fortnight makes you an alcoholic. hating people from another race is racist, not asking why there aren't many black punks.

bottle of dirt: the best answer i've seen in here, even though i only read a bit.

i think in my area it's a different reason though...everyone associates punk with bands like good charlotte, fall out boy, and my chemical romance. and of course if you listen to any of those you're gay.
any band that plays power chords without being a led zeppelin rip-off is emo, fall out boy are emo, emo is a term that is interchangeable with punk, so if you listen to punk you're gay.

that's the basic mindset around here. and because of that you rarely meet any real punks, and seeing as there're more white people than black people around here, that means you're less likely to meet a black punk.

axeslash
07-06-2009, 03:29 AM
It's much more gangsta than your typical middle-class white punk kid whose biggest fear is that some redneck might call you a f*g and maybe beat you up.Fuck you Steve. Fuck you a lot.

charliezard!
07-06-2009, 03:37 AM
Haha. Well, I was talking more about your upbringing and surrounding anyways. It's much more gangsta than your typical middle-class white punk kid whose biggest fear is that some redneck might call you a f*g and maybe beat you up.

This was a dumb post.

soccermom
07-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Bottle Of Dirt has got it down, its not about your color of your skin or your race its the people around you. You make your friends, but your friends make you.

RockThe40oz
07-06-2009, 07:04 AM
I was being facetious, but I guess that doesn't translate well over the internet when you don't punctuate it with quotation marks and smiley faces.

Besides. I don't see what the big deal is. A lot of punx I know are always trying to prove how hard they've got it to get their punx cred. They usually do this by saying how rough their neighborhood is and that they get beat up sometimes... then Bottle_of_Dirt comes along and says this:
I've been shot at more times then I care to tell my family, I've been in 5 fights(actual punches being thrown not just words) this year already because I have a mohawk and don't dress or act like a normal black person.
and wins without even trying.

Bottle of Dirt
07-06-2009, 09:36 AM
It's not a daily thing, thankfully, but it's happened more times than I can count on one and half hands(is that 7 fingers or 8? You decide HAHAHAHA) I wish I had more punk friends so I'd have lots of cred :( and a better local punk scene :cry:

axeslash
07-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I was being facetious, but I guess that doesn't translate well over the internet when you don't punctuate it with quotation marks and smiley faces.

Besides. I don't see what the big deal is. A lot of punx I know are always trying to prove how hard they've got it to get their punx cred. They usually do this by saying how rough their neighborhood is and that they get beat up sometimes... then Bottle_of_Dirt comes along and says this:

and wins without even trying.Either this is a cop out or you're just being a dick. I can't tell honestly.

RockThe40oz
07-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Either this is a cop out or you're just being a dick. I can't tell honestly.
Hmmmm...

Anyways, what the hell does it matter? I don't know what you got so pissy about that I said anyways. It didn't seem to offend B_o_D, so I don't know why you're whining so much.

Maybe you're just being a dick as usual. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I think I'm done with this conversation. The punk forum takes things way too seriously, and it's ruining what could be an interesting discussion.

Iluvpowerchords
07-06-2009, 10:51 PM
So anyway guise

What's yer favorite color...

person?

RiotRiotUpstart
07-06-2009, 11:00 PM
It's not a daily thing, thankfully, but it's happened more times than I can count on one and half hands(is that 7 fingers or 8? You decide HAHAHAHA) I wish I had more punk friends so I'd have lots of cred :( and a better local punk scene :cry:

Man, you're a Kings fan? I'm sorry.

NakedBassist
07-06-2009, 11:40 PM
It all ****ing comes down to NURTURE vs. NATURE. Obviously, who and what you are exposed to when you are growing up shapes who you will become and it will obviously influence your taste in music and your participation in whatever genre becomes of interest- be it rap, punk, metal, it doesn't ****ing matter. You could say it's a race thing, but that's a factor in the whole nurture thing. And RockTheFortyoz should slowly be disemboweled by his mother, but only after she sodomizes him, of course

BostonLacrosse
07-06-2009, 11:51 PM
It all ****ing comes down to NURTURE vs. NATURE. Obviously, who and what you are exposed to when you are growing up shapes who you will become and it will obviously influence your taste in music and your participation in whatever genre becomes of interest- be it rap, punk, metal, it doesn't ****ing matter. You could say it's a race thing, but that's a factor in the whole nurture thing. And RockTheFortyoz should slowly be disemboweled by his mother, but only after she sodomizes him, of course

it is not nurture vs. nature, not a damn person is argueing that people are genetically in favor of one type of music or another...wtf man...

neidnarb11890
07-07-2009, 12:11 AM
It all ****ing comes down to NURTURE vs. NATURE. Obviously, who and what you are exposed to when you are growing up shapes who you will become and it will obviously influence your taste in music and your participation in whatever genre becomes of interest- be it rap, punk, metal, it doesn't ****ing matter. You could say it's a race thing, but that's a factor in the whole nurture thing.
Yes, this was obvious. Thank you. :golfclap:

charliezard!
07-07-2009, 12:24 AM
C'mon. This thread is dumb. The obvious answer is that white kids are more likely to be raised to listen to rock music by their parents. It's also what they'll be more likely to listen to growing up, since, starting at a very early age, they would see that, in general, rock music consists of white people and hip-hop is played by black people.
Nothing insightful about this post. It's just obvious.

Bottle of Dirt
07-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Man, you're a Kings fan? I'm sorry.

Oh shut up, you know you're jealous of Kopitar, Brown and Johnson.

Slappydappy
07-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Black people like rap music, not punkrock.

ericman93
07-11-2009, 08:13 PM

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAH.......

I almost forgot about that!!!!!!

axeslash
07-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Black people like rap music, not punkrock.Hot damn you're edgy.

David_Bowie=GOD
07-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Ive seen quite a few black emo kids, not where I live(which is a ghetto town), but ive seen them. Thats the closest thing ive ever seen to a black punk fan.

charliezard!
07-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I know several black punx.

lounge act
07-12-2009, 03:04 AM
Its in the DNA, just like the ***s, the Jews, and those god damn northern sumbitches!

RockThe40oz
07-12-2009, 11:29 AM
I found all the black punx. They've been hiding in NYC. Along with a large number of Native American punx and a sh*tton of fat punx.

David_Bowie=GOD
07-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I found all the black punx. They've been hiding in NYC. Along with a large number of Native American punx and a sh*tton of fat punx.

I used to know this fat guy who was into punk, played in my brothers first band. He moved to New York. :haha:

PunkRockv2
07-12-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm a black kid majorly into listening and playing punk rock. I dress punk, act punk, and do not hide nor am I ashamed. I find most of the posts to be some of the most stupid crap I have ever seen. [End/thread] now. Because it's useless and starts nothing but morality arugments and accusations of racism. And some people seem to stupid to realize they are dicks. Maybe they are joking, if so, it;s not even remotely funny.

DempseyPunk
07-12-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm a black kid majorly into listening and playing punk rock. Shazam!
Cool. Theres suprisingly a good amount of black(and latino and asian) punks here in LA...dont know about everywhere else...pretty mixed here

PunkRockv2
07-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Lol, i re- read most posts in this thread and I got a little pissed. But yeh, I was born in Arkansas, lived their for a short time. Moved to California after my parents got married (dad's in navy). Moved to Japan for 2 and a half years, then finally ended up in Alabama for some reason. I've been all over hte U.S. too. The reason i'm telling you this, is because I think it's my expierence of being all over the place that introduced me to punk and helped me become myself. It also helped me disprove nearly every stereotype out there. I have met some dumb asain people. It's true.

DempseyPunk
07-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Lol, i re- read most posts in this thread and I got a little pissed. But yeh, I was born in Arkansas, lived their for a short time. Moved to California after my parents got married (dad's in navy). Moved to Japan for 2 and a half years, then finally ended up in Alabama for some reason. I've been all over hte U.S. too. The reason i'm telling you this, is because I think it's my expierence of being all over the place that introduced me to punk and helped me become myself. It also helped me disprove nearly every stereotype out there. I have met some dumb asain people. It's true.
no way! next your gonna tell me you dont looooooooove grape soda. :p:

jk if you didnt realize that already

PunkRockv2
07-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Please, Orange Soda ftw.

MetalMilitia212
07-13-2009, 12:42 PM
I know two black punks, and they're both assholes.

As for bands, Living Colour is crossover, isn't it? And if you want to get into ska-punk there's a ton.

DempseyPunk
07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
I know two black punks, and they're both assholes.

As for bands, Living Colour is crossover, isn't it? And if you want to get into ska-punk there's a ton.
I dont know if living colour counts, but they have some good songs, including a bad brains cover.

PunkRockv2
07-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Living Color is in their somewhere lol.

whyvern
07-13-2009, 05:14 PM

where do you live at in Alabama?

I would say something in this thread but I hate hearing white people talk about this ****. It's not that I don't think white people should be involved in dialogues about race and ethnicity, I think they need to not sound like pretentious know-it-alls when they do. Most white people have a hardtime understaning what it's like to be put down for something you can't control... at this point yer saying "David, yer white! What the **** are you talking about???" ... 1) that doesn't matter, 2) tell that to the ****ers who called me a kyke all thoughout elementary, middle and high school.

I'll tell ya what DOES in fact suck.... is being told that you can't play in a city because someone in yer band is black... not because the punks don't want you there cos they really do but because the cops will arrest you if white people and black people are together in the same car. **** Culman, Alabama... we're all moving to Decatur.

RockThe40oz
07-13-2009, 06:48 PM
\I think they need to not sound like pretentious know-it-alls when they do.
I think the problem is that it's too much work to NOT sound like a pretentious know-it-all white guy when you're talking about race as a white guy... or about the poor as a rich man... or about womens rights as a man... or just talking about any group that you don't belong to that is considered a touchy subject. Once you state an opinion in a very serious discussion, there's going to be somebody that jumps on you for it as if you're stating a definite fact and that you'd never listen to reason on the contrary. It's easy to just say "Dude, shut up... you don't know... you're white." as opposed to offering up an intelligent opinion on the subject. I think people need to set out to educate rather than accuse and attack or these conversations can never occur the way they should.

I mean, a few of my posts were attacked, but all the responses were "dude, that's stupid" or "I hate you, steve." I'm not an unreasonable person... an opinionated person, but always re-evaluating my opinions... If you (general you, not you specifically) don't like something somebody has said, it's a lot more productive to explain why you think they're wrong than to just call them names.

EDIT: Dammit, I got sucked into this conversation again. Time to step away quickly and try not to return.

werty22
07-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah Steve, that's why it's easier to not discuss it at all.

whyvern
07-14-2009, 12:39 AM
no, it should defintely be discussed and I wasn't calling out anyone specific I was just talking about how these conversations usually go. It IS possible to have these conversations without sounding like know-it-alls but too many people think they DO know it all.

k90728
07-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Theres this black guy i see at alot of punk shows i go too..

He has like weird contact lenses that make him look like a demon/zombie in the crowd. ****s creepy.

There are ALOT of hispanic/mexican kids at shows.

Not many asian kids.
I'm hispanic and asian so i count for both right???

**** racism. "Homie we kill nazi punks"-fellow (black) punk rocker in the circle.

haha.

blink day 4 eva
07-21-2009, 01:13 PM
...the users in this thread REALLY missed the point..

BostonLacrosse
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
...the users in this thread REALLY missed the point..

...the ****??

who the hell do you think you are? Takes some real ****in balls to come in here and make a blanket statement like that, you don't even back up what you said with a real opinion. So why don't you go back to your MTV pop punk and leave us alone...unless of coarse you actually have something insightful to say then by all means say.

konfyouzd
07-21-2009, 02:58 PM
...the ****??

who the hell do you think you are? Takes some real ****in balls to come in here and make a blanket statement like that, you don't even back up what you said with a real opinion. So why don't you go back to your MTV pop punk and leave us alone...unless of coarse you actually have something insightful to say then by all means say.

hehe... harsh...

although i agree with you in principle, i don't know if i agree with everything you said. the blanket statement definitely didn't seem very well thought out, though. you're right.

honestly, though, i thought we'd already gotten over this.

SlipknotRule93
07-21-2009, 03:27 PM
You don't get many black people in Metal either, except for the guy in Killswitch.

I think it's because of the racist stereotype attached to alot of punk scaring black people off. Also it's because they all listen to R 'n' B which isn't R 'n' B because they feel that they have to.

Dee Dee King :D

I love the he still wrote songs for the Ramones after he left, including his solo stuff.

konfyouzd
07-21-2009, 03:30 PM
You don't get many black people in Metal either, except for the guy in Killswitch.

I think it's because of the racist stereotype attached to alot of punk scaring black people off. Also it's because they all listen to R 'n' B which isn't R 'n' B because they feel that they have to.

Dee Dee King :D

I love the he still wrote songs for the Ramones after he left, including his solo stuff.

isn't everyone in god forbid black? singer from sepultura...? i think we can basically chalk it up to cultural differences. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out, people...

and i had no idea about this alleged racism in punk... but that would definitely keep blacks away...

whyvern
07-21-2009, 03:46 PM
punk isn't racist at all.... I have no idea why the **** anyone would think that.

Slipknot93... you're a ****ing racist asshole or you've never met any black people if you honestly believe what you said.

WillB13
07-23-2009, 05:11 PM
That was CJ. And I love the RAMONES but I hate CJ.

\/ My bad.

lolmnt
07-23-2009, 05:12 PM
No it was Dee Dee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_in_the_Spotlight

WillB13
07-23-2009, 05:15 PM
No it was Dee Dee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_in_the_Spotlight
Oops. Got my **** all backwards.

devourthekitten
07-23-2009, 07:23 PM
"Blacks". :haha:

axeslash
07-24-2009, 02:02 AM
...the ****??

who the hell do you think you are? Takes some real ****in balls to come in here and make a blanket statement like that, you don't even back up what you said with a real opinion. So why don't you go back to your MTV pop punk and leave us alone...unless of coarse you actually have something insightful to say then by all means say.Hi 5

mike2
07-24-2009, 06:30 AM
I have been ignoring this thread for so long...

...and now I just read it....

I hate you guys.

This is retarded.

werty22
07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
I have been ignoring this thread for so long...

...and now I just read it....

I hate you guys.

This is retarded.
:five:

It needs to die.

devourthekitten
07-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I hate fat white women. They always want fucking wedding cake ice cream.

Buy a fucking Dreamslice.

mike2
07-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I hate fat white women. They always want fucking wedding cake ice cream.

Buy a fucking Dreamslice.

I hate white people in general. They suck...

devourthekitten
07-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Blacks do crack!

...not the drug... :llama:

punkrockdoc
07-25-2009, 06:01 PM
Whole Wheat Bread
PS:
this thread isn't about preventing black people from joining the punk scene. it is simply pointing out that there aren't very many black punks, which is very apparent.