Snobbery in Punk

PDA

View Full Version : Snobbery in Punk

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Please, don't take this the wrong way punk fans, and don't think I'm insulting you.

I've noticed talking with a lot of fans of punk that they have this superiority complex. They think because they listen to punk and have certain views that everyone else is in some way inferior if they don't. Not saying everyone, or even most, but I get this vibe off of a lot of people.

I've also noticed there's a lot of snobbery in regards to other music genres (and even the same genre, when arguing about what is and isn't punk, but let's not get into that please). There's a general disdain between Punk and Metal, saying one is better than the other constantly, but it seems a lot worse with punk fans.

I think it's probably just because it's something that a lot of people really love so they get crazy over it. I just feel people need to take it a little less seriously. I've seen more name calling and hateful things said about fans of certain bands (namely Green Day) just because they don't like them and it's really not that big a deal. Music should be about being bringing people together, not driving them apart.

*I apologize in advance for any horrible arguments that will start from this thread and to any people that think I'm pretentious, because I'm sure I come off that way.*

GangsterLi
07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Please, don't take this the wrong way punk fans, and don't think I'm insulting you.

I've noticed talking with a lot of fans of punk that they have this superiority complex. They think because they listen to punk and have certain views that everyone else is in some way inferior if they don't. Not saying everyone, or even most, but I get this vibe off of a lot of people.

I've also noticed there's a lot of snobbery in regards to other music genres (and even the same genre, when arguing about what is and isn't punk, but let's not get into that please). There's a general disdain between Punk and Metal, saying one is better than the other constantly, but it seems a lot worse with punk fans.

I think it's probably just because it's something that a lot of people really love so they get crazy over it. I just feel people need to take it a little less seriously. I've seen more name calling and hateful things said about fans of certain bands (namely Green Day) just because they don't like them and it's really not that big a deal. Music should be about being bringing people together, not driving them apart.

*I apologize in advance for any horrible arguments that will start from this thread and to any people that think I'm pretentious, because I'm sure I come off that way.*

fair enough, but i dont think its just punk fans (me for one) i think it would just depend on the people. ive met many metal fans who are "metal rules, everything else can suck my dick" and many rave, rnb and hip hop fans who think their taste is superior.

pwninator123
07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
fully agreed, been preaching this message out loud for years

acceptance folks! and just remember, it all ties back to Hymns and Folk music

gnaraaron
07-03-2009, 02:39 PM
i totally agree with you, i used to be big into punk and i kind of was the way your talking about, but once i got into blues and stuff i just looked back and realized that i was just being a dick about music. now i barely listen to much punk (mainly just iggy pop) and spread my musical horizons and i can look at a lot of punk fans and notice that same mindset i used to have.

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 02:40 PM
People are agreeing with me?

Something is wrong....

werty22
07-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah, but does it really matter?

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 02:41 PM
The reason I got into punk is because it talks about real things (usually) and is grounded in reality. Maybe being grounded in reality means that the people are the best representatives of real people.

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, but does it really matter?

I think it does. Music should be a community, not a social club where only a certain amount of people can, or want to join.

werty22
07-03-2009, 02:46 PM
The reason I got into punk is because it talks about real things (usually) and is grounded in reality. Maybe being grounded in reality means that the people are the best representatives of real people.
That's stupid. Lots of genres of music are "grounded in reality." That second sentence... What are you even talking about?
I think it does. Music should be a community, not a social club where only a certain amount of people can, or want to join.
Yeah, but it's not like you're going to change anything by making a thread pointing out the obvious. There are always going to be snobs and elitists everywhere. Deal with it.

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 02:48 PM
That's stupid. Lots of genres of music are "grounded in reality." That second sentence... What are you even talking about?

It made a lot of sense in my head. I guess I was saying because it is a realistic music style, the fans of it would be more "real".

I should probably shut up now...

werty22
07-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah, you should. P0nx are just as pretentious as anyone else.

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Yeah, you should. P0nx are just as pretentious as anyone else.

That's where we disagree, you say it's not different than anywhere else, whereas I think it's more prevalent here than in other things.

werty22
07-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I think if you hung out with some metalheads, classic rock fans, or indie kids for a while, you'd see that there are a lot of elitists among them too. Maybe not so many with mainstream rap, pop, rock, or country fans.

Anyway, I'm not going to continue this because I feel like a douchebag for even acknowledging it.

webbtje
07-03-2009, 03:07 PM
I love that he says punk is pretentious on a site full of elitist metalheads. Of which I am one.

RockThe40oz
07-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Any "alternative" music scene is full of snobbery and douchebaggery

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Metal fans are pretty nasty too, but I'd still contend punk fans are worse about it.

lolmnt
07-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Nope they're all equally snobby.

I mean I HATE YOU AND THE MUSIC YOU LIKE!

StreetLight3989
07-03-2009, 03:45 PM
There's a lot of snobbery in punk, but for the most part it's a pretty accepting scene. Like RockThe40oz said, it comes with the territory of any alternative culture. I've brought friends to shows that know nothing about punk and they don't feel uncomfortable at all. I think it really all depends on what kind of punk you're talking about too. Even somebody like me who's into a lot of punk would probably get looked at funny at a street punk show. I don't know, I don't think punk is any worse than any other subcultures.

charliezard!
07-03-2009, 04:00 PM
I've brought friends to shows that know nothing about punk and they don't feel uncomfortable at all.

Same here. But you (TS) have a huge habit of preaching to everybody in this forum, and telling everyone that you know everything about punk rock. (Your thread on the 'definition' of punk and how you know it more than anyone else, the fit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146740) you threw after your threads were closed, the other fit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146735) you threw about how punk is dead, your need to point out that Blondie isn't punk, and the billions of posts you've made about who is punk and who isn't)

It gets annoying, and you're likely to get a lot of people arguing with you. There's no more snobbery in punk rock than there is anywhere else, but you'll get a lot posting like you do.

werty22
07-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Same here. But you (TS) have a huge habit of preaching to everybody in this forum, and telling everyone that you know everything about punk rock. (Your thread on the 'definition' of punk and how you know it more than anyone else, the fit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146740) you threw after your threads were closed, the other fit (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1146735) you threw about how punk is dead, your need to point out that Blondie isn't punk, and the billions of posts you've made about who is punk and who isn't)

It gets annoying, and you're likely to get a lot of people arguing with you. There's no more snobbery in punk rock than there is anywhere else, but you'll get a lot posting like you do.
:golfclap:

whyvern
07-03-2009, 05:02 PM
punks are better than everyone else... 'nuff said

RiotRiotUpstart
07-03-2009, 05:10 PM
You all suck and the only acceptable music is what I deem to be punk.

I'm not in it for the music, I'm in it for the elitism.

sargasm
07-03-2009, 05:25 PM
you're not punk and I'm telling everyone

wait... is it still cool to say that?

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Jesus. I must sound like a total jackass.

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Okay, here's my official apology to the punk forum:

I'm sorry for being such a d-bag. I don't mean to. I'm not trying to preach or tell other people I know everything about punk. Because I don't. I'm, what you'd say, the biggest poser around. The only reason I like music at all is because of Guitar Hero (I know, you should never listen to me ever again because of that)

BR0KENHEARTED
07-03-2009, 06:45 PM
But it is true. Punx are better than everyone else.

And if Blondie isn't punk then I don't know what is.

BR0KENHEARTED
07-03-2009, 06:48 PM
I think Donovant needs a hug.

charliezard!
07-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Okay, here's my official apology to the punk forum:

I'm sorry for being such a d-bag. I don't mean to. I'm not trying to preach or tell other people I know everything about punk. Because I don't. I'm, what you'd say, the biggest poser around. The only reason I like music at all is because of Guitar Hero (I know, you should never listen to me ever again because of that)
Just look at a picture of me. It's sad enough.

Stop it! :mad:

People are dicks. It's the internet and it doesn't matter. Don't be offended. You don't have to apologize.

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I guess I'm only fit to be in the emo forum. I'm not good enough for punk. :cry:

BR0KENHEARTED
07-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Now you just bug.

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 06:58 PM
*cuts self*

BrianApocalypse
07-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I've noticed talking with a lot of fans of punk that they have this superiority complex. They think because they listen to punk and have certain views that everyone else is in some way inferior if they don't.

I feel sorry for people who don't like punk music because they have no balls and soul? How can you not respond to that glorious sound. When people can't handle the excitement and crawl back to their predictable f*cking sh*t music I think less of them for it.

As for views, I'm a pretty even-minded character, and always see things through other peoples' eyes, which confirms that I'm right and they're thick f*cking retards. Enjoy your gay-ass mortgage, spoiled kids and unappealing wife, retard!

I have zero regard for Metal on the ground that it is musically predictable. There'll be a gay little powerchord riff, stupid drumming, and maybe even a modal clean section with too much boss chorus. The heavyness doesn't interest or move me one bit, whereas I like the rawness and jagged unpredictability of punk. I do like metal that thinks outside of the box however, eg. Alestorm, who do PIRATE metal, which is actually vaguely interesting.

Also, have you noticed that metal drummers, aka Lars Ulrich fanboys can't play punk drums for ****, even though it's little more than a standard beat souped up a bit? How ****ing retarded can you be? The same goes for metal guitarists, who generally consider themselves the dogs' bollocks but can't do anything vaguely simple like transpose a riff or play a solo that goes anywhere.

I think it's probably just because it's something that a lot of people really love so they get crazy over it. I just feel people need to take it a little less seriously.

I can't speak for everyone here but I'm a useless layabout with no prospects and no personality; music is all I have. Therefore, how can it not be a matter of life and death?

I've seen more name calling and hateful things said about fans of certain bands (namely Green Day) just because they don't like them and it's really not that big a deal. Music should be about being bringing people together, not driving them apart.

My only problem with these pussy fusion bands is that the fans think they're the real deal, but they're not. They're regular boring and inoffensive lame people who can handle an extremely diluted version of punk. If people get into Green Day and the like and use that as a bridge to punk with actual integrity and values, then good. If they like the punk-lite bands and don't go anywhere, then f*ck them.

I don't think you're pretentious, I think that you're slightly misguided because you don't understand how serious punk fans feel about their lifeline.

BrianApocalypse
07-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Sorry for the double post here.

Basically, what this whole thing comes down to me, is that punk is supposed to be head music, and when people bastardise it into body music that f*cking plebians can enjoy, then it's ruined.

Body music may be electronic dance, pop punk or gay-ass metal. A lot of body music is escapist, or deals with teenagers' problems, a group of society in which 95% are REALLY stupid.

TMF128
07-03-2009, 07:05 PM

You just perfectly described Fat Mike there.

And you are hearing this from a NOFX fan (and I am agreeing with you.)

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I feel sorry for people who don't like punk music because they have no balls and soul? How can you not respond to that glorious sound. When people can't handle the excitement and crawl back to their predictable f*cking sh*t music I think less of them for it.

As for views, I'm a pretty even-minded character, and always see things through other peoples' eyes, which confirms that I'm right and they're thick f*cking retards. Enjoy your gay-ass mortgage, spoiled kids and unappealing wife, retard!

I have zero regard for Metal on the ground that it is musically predictable. There'll be a gay little powerchord riff, stupid drumming, and maybe even a modal clean section with too much boss chorus. The heavyness doesn't interest or move me one bit, whereas I like the rawness and jagged unpredictability of punk. I do like metal that thinks outside of the box however, eg. Alestorm, who do PIRATE metal, which is actually vaguely interesting.

Also, have you noticed that metal drummers, aka Lars Ulrich fanboys can't play punk drums for ****, even though it's little more than a standard beat souped up a bit? How ****ing retarded can you be? The same goes for metal guitarists, who generally consider themselves the dogs' bollocks but can't do anything vaguely simple like transpose a riff or play a solo that goes anywhere.

I think it's probably just because it's something that a lot of people really love so they get crazy over it. I just feel people need to take it a little less seriously.

I can't speak for everyone here but I'm a useless layabout with no prospects and no personality; music is all I have. Therefore, how can it not be a matter of life and death?

I've seen more name calling and hateful things said about fans of certain bands (namely Green Day) just because they don't like them and it's really not that big a deal. Music should be about being bringing people together, not driving them apart.

My only problem with these pussy fusion bands is that the fans think they're the real deal, but they're not. They're regular boring and inoffensive lame people who can handle an extremely diluted version of punk. If people get into Green Day and the like and use that as a bridge to punk with actual integrity and values, then good. If they like the punk-lite bands and don't go anywhere, then f*ck them.

I don't think you're pretentious, I think that you're slightly misguided because you don't understand how serious punk fans feel about their lifeline.

I'm a serious punk fan too. Maybe I don't understand how other fans feel, but that's how I do.

And saying Green Day is inoffensive is funny, because people are offended by them all the time. American Idiot was constantly berated because they said it was unamerican (which it wasn't) and they couldn't even sell their latest album at Wal-Mart because it was apparently offensive to them.

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 07:10 PM
Sorry for the double post here.

Basically, what this whole thing comes down to me, is that punk is supposed to be head music, and when people bastardise it into body music that f*cking plebians can enjoy, then it's ruined.

Body music may be electronic dance, pop punk or gay-ass metal. A lot of body music is escapist, or deals with teenagers' problems, a group of society in which 95% are REALLY stupid.

That might be the best way I've heard it explained. Not that I agree, but it was very well explained. I'd never quite understood what the real issue was before.

Why can't it be both though?

Ir a+infinitive
07-03-2009, 07:10 PM
grunge FTW...kthnxbai

Donovant22
07-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Hmm.....Maybe I should get a life and stop trying to argue with people online about Music and actually go live my life and not give a crap what anyone else thinks........

......I think I just got it.

BR0KENHEARTED
07-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I'm too good for punk.

BrianApocalypse
07-03-2009, 07:33 PM
And saying Green Day is inoffensive is funny, because people are offended by them all the time. American Idiot was constantly berated because they said it was unamerican (which it wasn't) and they couldn't even sell their latest album at Wal-Mart because it was apparently offensive to them.

Conservative Americans aren't exactly hard to offend. Anyone living with a set of up-to-date and reasonable moral codes is not going to find Green Day offensive.

That might be the best way I've heard it explained. Not that I agree, but it was very well explained. I'd never quite understood what the real issue was before.

Music could be considered to have both 'body' and 'head' aspects, but because these distinctions have an opposing set of attributes it's difficult to stay on the line skillfully. If you look at Green Day's newer stuff, it might seem sophisticated if you're 12 years old, or a regular person, but to anyone of reasonable intelligence and insight into the topics they discuss it's embarrassingly lightweight.

If you want a REALLY good example of watered down head music, look no further than Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Because Roger Waters is a sh*t lyricist, thick people smoke a doobie and listen to the record and think that they're profound and intellectual. It's still basically just musical drekk, but it has a few innovations along the way. (EDIT, which is why, y'know it stayed in the charts for 723 or so weeks!)

Hmm.....Maybe I should get a life and stop trying to argue with people online about Music and actually go live my life and not give a crap what anyone else thinks........

......I think I just got it.

You could do that, or you could leave the comfort of your cave and learn to appreciate things based on more than just their face value alone.

neidnarb11890
07-03-2009, 08:40 PM
grunge FTW...kthnxbai
Yeah, grunge rules, if you like being bored to tears. In Utero was the only worthwhile music to come out of that whole cesspool.

BR0KENHEARTED
07-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I agree Grunge is one genre I cannot stand.

werty22
07-03-2009, 09:42 PM
You people are too darn sensitive.

werty22
07-03-2009, 10:23 PM
It is. Some is deep and some is shallow and some is predictable and some isn't, just like any genre. But it's kind of stupid to even say that because that's subjective. I see depth in Minor Threat, but a lot of people don't, maybe because I relate depth to innovation and not necessarily intellectualism.

Punk is a meaningless word that has been attached to lots and lots of different music and ideologies. That's why it annoys me to no end when people try to define it or say what it "should be." People get so emotionally attached to a stupid word and try to make it define their life. I don't see why it matters if "PUNK IS ABOUT REBELLING, FACK AUTHORITY" or if "PUNK IS ABOUT SUPPORTING UR LOCAL SCENE." People always say it's "about being urself and freethinking," but that's retarded. Everybody should think for themselves, and, on average, people who call themselves punk are no more freethinking than the average person.

I don't call myself "punk" because that's stupid. I don't have "punk ideals" (which is meaningless) or any of that crap. I discuss music in this forum because most of the music I listen to has some kind of connection (directly or indirectly) to punk.

That last paragraph isn't really even relevant, but whatever. I'm stupid for typing this rant because it's not going to solve anything, but I've already typed all that crap so I might as well post it.

DempseyPunk
07-03-2009, 11:25 PM
I agree it should be a community, just not one full of hot topic greenday"omg they said f*ck america theyre so p0nx!" fans. I like metal(old stuff like megadeth, iron maiden, etc) so i dont bitch and moan at them. I just dislike emos and posers. I try to not pay attention to it but sometimes it just pisses me off. I dont spam hate on videos and crap, but if someone starts an argument with me about their style ill protect mine.

ps-blues and jazz rock

pwninator123
07-03-2009, 11:52 PM
I agree it should be a community, just not one full of hot topic greenday"omg they said f*ck america theyre so p0nx!" fans. I like metal(old stuff like megadeth, iron maiden, etc) so i dont bitch and moan at them. I just dislike emos and posers. I try to not pay attention to it but sometimes it just pisses me off. I dont spam hate on videos and crap, but if someone starts an argument with me about their style ill protect mine.

ps-blues and jazz rock

Hey, clarify on your Emo thing, dislike fake modern Emo, respect the old classic Emo greats like Rites Of Spring, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, etc

neidnarb11890
07-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey, clarify on your Emo thing, dislike fake modern Emo, respect the old classic Emo greats like Rites Of Spring, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, etc
I refuse to believe that Fugazi is emo, and calling Minor Threat emo is one of the sillier things I've heard today.

werty22
07-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Tr00 emo isn't any better than today's emo. Fugazi is gud though.

lolmnt
07-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Hey, clarify on your Emo thing, dislike fake modern Emo, respect the old classic Emo greats like Rites Of Spring, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, etcFugazi isn't emo, and Minor Threat is the opposite of emo.

pwninator123
07-04-2009, 12:54 AM
I refuse to believe that Fugazi is emo, and calling Minor Threat emo is one of the sillier things I've heard today.
actually Minor Threat is the band the term was first coined to describe, 1988

neidnarb11890
07-04-2009, 01:03 AM
Minor Threat are hardcore punk. I don't care what someone said in 1988.

lolmnt
07-04-2009, 01:08 AM
actually Minor Threat is the band the term was first coined to describe, 1988No they weren't. Rites of Spring was the first emo band. Minor Threat were long dead by then. Minor Threat were hardcore, and the emo scene was an attempt to get away from that.

RizzoWashburn
07-04-2009, 01:09 AM
Minor Threat broke up in 1983.

GTFO.

huevos
07-04-2009, 01:23 AM
BrianApocalypse, listen to Leftover Crack and the Crack Rocksteady bands.
A delicious amalgam of troo hardcore punk and metal. Pretty offensive to both left and right wingers (hard to do in one fell swoop).

One thing that irritates me about you is that music should be controversial, edgy, and offensive. You're worse than Family Guy in your theorem that punk should be all three. Punk is also the least progressive and avant-garde of all musical genres; which is ironic, because it started as breaking down the boundries of comptempary music and making whatever the **** you wanted (which was groundbreaking back in the 70's).
Nowadays, it's a ****ing fashion trend of conforming anti-conformists.

I agree, metal and punk are long past their heyday in terms of passion, conviction, and love for the music.
But there is still hope, in form of the few bands among millions that are making good music for the sake of it.
Which bands those are, is a matter of personal opinion.

lolmnt
07-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Minor Threat broke up in 1983.

GTFO.Also, Revolution Summer was the summer of '85.

huevos
07-04-2009, 01:27 AM
At The Drive-In.
Best pseudo-emo/indie band of time. Possibly best band evar.
[/thread, like right ****ing now]

pwninator123
07-04-2009, 01:33 AM
No they weren't. Rites of Spring was the first emo band. Minor Threat were long dead by then. Minor Threat were hardcore, and the emo scene was an attempt to get away from that.
the term was coined in 1988 to describe them, that doesn't mean they were the first, and that doesn't mean they were still around

lolmnt
07-04-2009, 01:39 AM
the term was coined in 1988 to describe them, that doesn't mean they were the first, and that doesn't mean they were still aroundNo it wasn't. There's a video of Ian Mackaye saying "Emocore is ****ing stupid" at an Embrace show. Embrace lasted from 85 to 86. Thus the term was around as early as 85.

charliezard!
07-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Oh, God. Is this thread about emo now? :p:

I like emo. A lot.

werty22
07-04-2009, 02:24 AM
Punk is also the least progressive and avant-garde of all musical genres
Only if you have a very narrow view of it.

charliezard!
07-04-2009, 02:29 AM

are you just making this **** up? This is incorrect on so many levels.

kayaress one
07-04-2009, 03:19 AM
Minor Threat? Emo?

Aside from the fact that Ian Mackaye went on to form Rites of Spring, what other proof would you have of that?

charliezard!
07-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Minor Threat? Emo?

Aside from the fact that Ian Mackaye went on to form Rites of Spring, what other proof would you have of that?

huh?

axeslash
07-04-2009, 04:29 AM
A delicious amalgam of troo hardcore punk and metal. Pretty offensive to both left and right wingers (hard to do in one fell swoop).

One thing that irritates me about you is that music should be controversial, edgy, and offensive. You're worse than Family Guy in your theorem that punk should be all three. Punk is also the least progressive and avant-garde of all musical genres; which is ironic, because it started as breaking down the boundries of comptempary music and making whatever the **** you wanted (which was groundbreaking back in the 70's).

I agree, metal and punk are long past their heyday in terms of passion, conviction, and love for the music.
But there is still hope, in form of the few bands among millions that are making good music for the sake of it.
Which bands those are, is a matter of personal opinion.God damnit it's like you people are all intentionally saying everything I hate.

First off, I hate Leftover Crack fans. The good majority of them to be more accurate. How a band like Leftover Crack became popular with 16 year old dumb cunts and scenester assholes is beyond me. They play skacore music. They aren't nice and they don't talk about how hard life is for kids with bad haircuts. Yet you fuckers swarmed in to destroy anything good in life. Please understand that I hate you, you dumb self-righteous assholes.

And how the **** are they offensive to the left? Have you ever even listened to them? Anti-homophobic, anti-police, anti-government... they're basically on the left on all their societal issues, and I'm not entirely sure how far left anarchy and a true hatred of our government is, but I know it's at least left of center. They aren't offensive because being offensive is the cool thing to do. Punk shouldn't be offensive just because offending people is so punx rawk. They should offend people because the world is full of people who are so blind to the truth that anything real causes them to shudder. Offending people for the sake of offending people is about as cool as faking a suicide attempt for attention.

I'm sick of this thread. Donavant came in here saying the dumbest thing he could, and he apologized for it in advance and you all fucking fell for it. If he didn't apologize for his bullshit you guys would have been all over him. An apology is one of the emptiest cultural gestures to grace our fine civilization.

Also, kayaress one is so dumb that there isn't an insult I could use that would be worse than what he said.

Punk is dead, and you dumb kids killed it. You killed it with your love of ignorance, terrible rhetoric, posturing, and most importantly, you all killed it because you thought you knew what it was about. You all don't know shit. All of the fine people on this forum are eclipsed by the ever-growing army of dumb opinionated assholes. And you all think you know everything. You don't know shit.

Leonheart
07-04-2009, 05:22 AM
I used to think Axe was just a crazy cynical asshole, but it seems like every day I'm finding myself agreeing with him more and more.

Also, this **** is so dramatic.

BrianApocalypse
07-04-2009, 05:50 AM
A delicious amalgam of troo hardcore punk and metal.

I don't want to listen to Leftover Crack ever again on the grounds that they're sh*t.

Fusing punk and metal has never been a good thing. Evidence for this is pretty much any band formed after 1980.

I'll reply to the rest of this later as I have some real punk to make with my friend Stiv.

axeslash
07-04-2009, 06:13 AM
I don't want to listen to Leftover Crack ever again on the grounds that they're sh*t.

Fusing punk and metal has never been a good thing. Evidence for this is pretty much any band formed after 1980.

I'll reply to the rest of this later as I have some real punk to make with my friend Stiv.The best part of his post is that they do maybe 2 songs tops with a "metal" sound to them. Which means either he doesn't know what metal is, or only listened to one song and is name dropping them to sound cool.

lavazza
07-04-2009, 06:51 AM
I missed the whol thread and I´m too tired to read it........there is lots of absolutism in every genre, when you talk about metalheads (even to those who are clear in their heads) they thnk that punk has the wrong sound and at best they listen to those who are extremely hard. Everybody moan at punk because often you really cannot understand the singers........and we want to keep clean what we like, so some of us say the new Green Day (and some say also the old) are boring **** for teenagers who wanna be rebels and wear mascara. Any musicial subculture is elitist, above all pop.

I´d mention Discharge, but I know it´s just a proof for you that you´re right. To discredit your opinion.......YOU LIKE KISS SO DON`T SAY NOTHING ABOUT PUNK WITH METAL

RizzoWashburn
07-04-2009, 11:41 AM
This is the funniest ****ing thread I've seen in a while.

StreetLight3989
07-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Minor Threat? Emo?

Ian Mackaye was in Embrace not Rites of Spring.

And Axe, write a book one day, people would read it and you have a lot to say.

BostonLacrosse
07-04-2009, 12:48 PM
I used to think Axe was just a crazy cynical asshole, but it seems like every day I'm finding myself agreeing with him more and more.

Also, this **** is so dramatic.

no you're just becoming more crazy and cynical :p:

BrianApocalypse
07-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Right, sorry I couldn't finish typing this earlier. Here we go.

One thing that irritates me about you is that music should be controversial, edgy, and offensive. You're worse than Family Guy in your theorem that punk should be all three.

I think that music should be extremely heavyweight and challenging on both an intellectual and stylistic level. I think that there is a place for unchallenging background music, and that that place is called an elevator.

Punk is also the least progressive and avant-garde of all musical genres; which is ironic, because it started as breaking down the boundries of comptempary music and making whatever the **** you wanted (which was groundbreaking back in the 70's).

I refer you to Werty here:

Only if you have a very narrow view of it.

Furthermore I will put forward my opinion that punk is probably one of the more diverse musical styles of the 20th century (I would strongly suggest that the musical styles commonly grouped as Jazz will be the most diverse.)

There might be a case of ''music I don't listen to sounds the same'', but punk is certainly more varied than any kind of standard bluesy rock music, or any 80's style glam bollocks. Leftover Cack sound nothing like Pere Ubu, who sound nothing like the Damned, who sound nothing like X Ray Spex (and so on).

In terms of the second half of your statement, punk didn't really break down the boundaries of contemporary music in the way that the countercultural revolution and resulting progressive rock of the late '60's and early 70's did, rather it reconstructed the idea of a pop song defined by brevity as a vehicle for relevant political or social commentary, coupled with some degree of technological experimentation that could only exist in a post-countercultural world.

(I've written a thesis on this subject if you'd like to read it.)

Personally, I've always conformed to a conformity of not conforming to the fashion trend of conforming anti-conformists. I don't think I'd get on with most punks, or agree with what they have to say.

Which bands those are, is a matter of personal opinion.

I would go with Cold Megan every day of the week, because I am like that.

BrianApocalypse
07-04-2009, 01:40 PM
I´d mention Discharge, but I know it´s just a proof for you that you´re right. To discredit your opinion.......YOU LIKE KISS SO DON`T SAY NOTHING ABOUT PUNK WITH METAL

Yeah, I still quite like KISS. The only comparison you could really make with them to the punk/metal hybrid is that they were influenced by both the New York Dolls and Led Zeppelin. Not exactly a relevant or infallible statement you've made.

I don't even like Motörhead, you got nothin' on me - NOTHIN'! :p:

charliezard!
07-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm sick of this thread. Donavant came in here saying the dumbest thing he could, and he apologized for it in advance and you all fucking fell for it. If he didn't apologize for his bullshit you guys would have been all over him. An apology is one of the emptiest cultural gestures to grace our fine civilization.

Also, kayaress one is so dumb that there isn't an insult I could use that would be worse than what he said.

Punk is dead, and you dumb kids killed it. You killed it with your love of ignorance, terrible rhetoric, posturing, and most importantly, you all killed it because you thought you knew what it was about. You all don't know shit. All of the fine people on this forum are eclipsed by the ever-growing army of dumb opinionated assholes. And you all think you know everything. You don't know shit.

I agree with all but the last paragraph. I actually felt bad for that Donovan asshole for a second. His apology and feeling all sorry for himself was crap. I can't believe I fell for that. Oh, and LoC sucks hard.

sargasm
07-04-2009, 05:15 PM
you're all idiots.