Over-produced Punk Rock

PDA

View Full Version : Over-produced Punk Rock

charliezard!
07-04-2009, 02:38 AM
I want something like Dear You times 1,000.
Hit me.
edit: No time for games.

werty22
07-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Cut the Crap. All those weird noises.

I don't know, really. IF ITS OVERPRODUCED ITS NOT REAL PUNK RAWK! :headbang:

Edit: Oh wait, I got it. Give 'Em Enough Rope. Blue Oyster Cult's producer produced it. It sounds stupid.

lavazza
07-04-2009, 06:30 AM
^Give Žem enough rope is a really good album

but I fully agree on Cut the Crap

IŽd also like to mention (even if its obvious) the new Anti-Flag album. Every punk album where the sound completely lacks edges

antianti99
07-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Give 'Em Enough Rope would have been a much better album if the producer (Sandy Pearlman ?) had let them be more spontaneous. There are a lot of great songs on that album that would have been recorded much better if they just took the first good take they made like what they did with London Calling. It feels like they played each song dozens of times until they had a take that had each note correct and Joe made as many words as possible understandable.

Also End of the Century would've been a much better album w/o Spector producing it. The first 4 albums had a much better sound to them and because of Spector being a psychotic Johnny and Dee Dee didn't even play on it.

werty22
07-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Give 'Em Enough Rope is a fine album, the production just sucks.

And if you're going to mention Anti-Flag, we might as well mention every band on Fat Wreck, Epitaph, or almost any major label band. The Clash's self-titled album is an exception.

BrianApocalypse
07-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Joe made as many words as possible understandable.

Except for the 'C' word in new boots and contracts though, which I think was really muted. I always found that to be somewhat dumb.

Never Mind the Bollocks is unquestionably overproduced, although it works well. The mix is quite straightforward.

I've found Give 'em to be not very consistent - Safe European Home is very good indeed.

I'll think of some more to bring to the discussion over dinner.

charliezard!
07-04-2009, 04:51 PM
And if you're going to mention Anti-Flag, we might as well mention every band on Fat Wreck, Epitaph

Please don't. I don't know what I'm looking for. I just always loved the sound of Dear You, and so I was looking for something that, like Dear You, takes advantage of great production without sounding like an Anti-Flag clone. I can't ****ing stand Anti-Flag, by the way.

lolmnt
07-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Please don't. I don't know what I'm looking for. I just always loved the sound of Dear You, and so I was looking for something that, like Dear You, takes advantage of great production without sounding like an Anti-Flag clone. I can't ****ing stand Anti-Flag, by the way.Check out Samiam if you don't already know them.

RockThe40oz
07-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Why would you WANT overproduced punk rock?

Spaceman_Spiff
07-04-2009, 05:31 PM
The last two Against Me! records

BR0KENHEARTED
07-04-2009, 05:33 PM
This thread bothers me for some reason.

bucky_2300
07-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Overproduced as in Phil Spector, Wall of Sound stuff? Or "overproduced" meaning there was actually a production phase outside of the band putting down one track per instrument and wrapping it?

charliezard!
07-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Why would you WANT overproduced punk rock?

Why not?

Overproduced as in Phil Spector, Wall of Sound stuff? Or "overproduced" meaning there was actually a production phase outside of the band putting down one track per instrument and wrapping it?

I guess either would do. I just want some punk rock with great tone and sound. I want it to be clean without being obnoxious. There's a lot of it out there, it's just harder to find.

bucky_2300
07-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Why not?

You're impugning his punx sonic sensibilities, dear. They will rarely admit it, but musically speaking, punks can be more conservative than a 78 year old Sinatra fan. ;)

I guess either would do. I just want some punk rock with great tone and sound. I want it to be clean without being obnoxious. There's a lot of it out there, it's just harder to find.

I've always thought that DKM records sounded great, and D.O.A.'s Something Better Change sounds good to my ears. Hardcore '81 is much more raw.

axeslash
07-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Might as well go with the Offspring, since their guitar tone sounds way too polished (and good in my opinion) for the normal asshole who won't listen to anything without a little static interference coupled with cheap equipment. Not to mention their singer never makes a mistake, which is probably due to them doing a couple dozen takes to get everything perfect.

RockThe40oz
07-04-2009, 06:44 PM
I'd like the Offspring more if my roommate didn't play them every single f*cking day for a year straight.

BR0KENHEARTED
07-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Fuck the Offspring.

Cameronrobson
07-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Fuck the Offspring.
Fuck the Offspring.

And TS, I don't know if you are saying that Dear You is overproduced, but if you are then you are wrong.

pinheadslts75
07-05-2009, 05:39 PM
I think overproduction is a case-by-case thing.

For example, the fact that someone even pushed record for Clit 45 is overproduction.

RizzoWashburn
07-05-2009, 08:56 PM
:haha

charliezard!
07-05-2009, 10:26 PM
Fuck the Offspring.

And TS, I don't know if you are saying that Dear You is overproduced, but if you are then you are wrong.

Are you saying that it's produced perfectly? Because I love how it sounds.
Or are you saying that "overproduced" isn't the right term? I wasn't sure how to put it...
I certainly don't mean overproduced in a bad way.

Check out Samiam if you don't already know them.
I had always heard of them, but for some reason I always assumed that they would sound like NOFX or something, so I never wanted to check 'em out. I just picked up Clumsy, and I really like it. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks :cheers:
My neighbor has a Samiam sticker on his truck, as well as a Jawbreaker sticker. hm...

:haha
What?

I don't like The Offspring. Smash and Ignition are really catchy, but something about them bother me a lot. I don't know if it's his voice or the way he sings or what... The lyrics are really awful also.

werty22
07-05-2009, 11:16 PM
What?
He was expressing his amusement with the post above his.

the glue man
07-05-2009, 11:44 PM
I really don't like the tone of overproduced music. I think a good example, although not too welcomed here, is Nirvana. I think that the quality of Bleach is pretty decent, Nevermind's quality sucks and In Utero is one of the best production sounds I've ever heard, thanks to Steve Albini.

I really don't like listening to the Nevermind album, but live versions of the same songs sound great to me.

I really prefer live recordings better than overdubs, and I think that that's the sound that most punk fans like best, at least the ones I know.

RizzoWashburn
07-05-2009, 11:59 PM
He was expressing his amusement with the post above his.
This.

werty22
07-06-2009, 12:40 AM
I kind of like Nevermind's production. It fits. I can't speak for Nirvana's other albums because I don't have them.

I don't mind high production values in most types of music, but with some it just doesn't sound right. It doesn't sound spontaneous enough. It's so unnecessary for "typical punk" to sound so clean.

neidnarb11890
07-06-2009, 12:40 AM
**** off, overproduced by Martin Hannett, take four...

I think the production on Joy Division's records was fantastic.

+1 to the glue man on Albini, though. I'm gonna have to go for the indie cred and say I think Surfer Rosa is what rock n roll should sound like. Plus he recorded (most of) 24 Hour Revenge Therapy, which is my favorite record ever, and sounds much better than Dear You.

BR0KENHEARTED
07-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Slime Kings.

pinheadslts75
07-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Oh. I thought of a good example:

Tiger Army. they would be a lot better with less production.