Again, trying to make my leads more interesting?

PDA

View Full Version : Again, trying to make my leads more interesting?

TonyIommi2557
07-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Any critic is welcome.

Also, don't know why I named it "dio rip off." :P

icronic
07-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Like the last one you posted, this one is really good, and usually I go pretty hard on peoples solos :)

You've got really nice note choice, and a good grasp on phrasing, and you always seem to stop your phrases at the perfect time. You do tend to always start new phrases on the first beat of each bar though.

However!

The solo almost sounds more like a fast melody than an actual solo, and it's missing a lot of little things. Grace notes, really strong bends and vibrato, there's absolutely no legato. The biggest pitfall is that it's very uniform. Meaning all 8th notes and whole notes. A quick 16th note pull off or triplet ho/po or any of that kind of thing will really go a long way. Just be careful not to get too over the top with it.

Also, you're playing over a very open rhythm. You can essentially use any scale you want so long as it has a natural 2 and a flat 3. Something like Dorian, Phrygian, Harmonic or Melodic Minor, or you can even delve into some of their modes. Of course you need to pay close attention to the rhythm, for a lot of these you'll have to change scales when the rhythm switches from A to E.

If I've got any extra time this afternoon I might mess around with this a bit. It's always fun playing over these kinds of rhythm tracks.

Edit: Whoops, Phrygian has a flatted 2nd so it's not ideal. Although you could simply avoid or alter that particular note when the rhythm does the half step powerchord thing.

TonyIommi2557
07-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Like the last one you posted, this one is really good, and usually I go pretty hard on peoples solos :)

You've got really nice note choice, and a good grasp on phrasing, and you always seem to stop your phrases at the perfect time. You do tend to always start new phrases on the first beat of each bar though.

However!

The solo almost sounds more like a fast melody than an actual solo, and it's missing a lot of little things. Grace notes, really strong bends and vibrato, there's absolutely no legato. The biggest pitfall is that it's very uniform. Meaning all 8th notes and whole notes. A quick 16th note pull off or triplet ho/po or any of that kind of thing will really go a long way. Just be careful not to get too over the top with it.

Also, you're playing over a very open rhythm. You can essentially use any scale you want so long as it has a natural 2 and a flat 3. Something like Dorian, Phrygian, Harmonic or Melodic Minor, or you can even delve into some of their modes. Of course you need to pay close attention to the rhythm, for a lot of these you'll have to change scales when the rhythm switches from A to E.

If I've got any extra time this afternoon I might mess around with this a bit. It's always fun playing over these kinds of rhythm tracks.

Edit: Whoops, Phrygian has a flatted 2nd so it's not ideal. Although you could simply avoid or alter that particular note when the rhythm does the half step powerchord thing.

Dude, I actually feel honored someone made such a long critic on one of my ideas. I feel all happy inside now. :haha: I highly appreciate the advice, and will take it all into consideration. Do you mind if I PM you later with a song I'm working on for your advice?

defiance64
07-04-2009, 11:20 PM
I keep getting a verification error, but I want to listen... Please convert to GP4 and reupload?

TonyIommi2557
07-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Gp4...