Stupid Question... Which way does a strap go?

PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question... Which way does a strap go?

Rick540
07-04-2009, 07:51 PM
I've been playing a few years, but never used a strap until very recently. I always found it hard to play standing up and have never joined a band, so I've never really had a reason to play while standing. However, I got a new office chair recently and have found it uncomfortable to sit and play in front of the PC while holding the guitar on my right leg. As a solution, I bought a strap and now play in a classical position with the guitar hanging/resting between my thighs.

The problem is I'm not sure which way the strap should go. The strap I have is nylon with leather ends. One end is sewn directly to the nylon, and the other is connected using a plastic ring. Right now I have the end with the plastic loop at the bottom of the guitar and the sewn end at the top. And even though the plastic isn't directly touching the finish on the guitar and is covered by the nylon and leather for the most part, I'm worried about the stiffness of the plastic ring at that end rubbing back and forth over the finish and possibly damaging it. I tried flipping it around with the plastic ring end at the top of the guitar, but the other plastic adjustment ring sits in an uncomfortable position on my neck/back.

So which way should the strap go, and if I already have it right and the plastic ring is supposed to go at the bottom, should I worry about it rubbing and hurting the finish on my guitar?

Thanks.

Here's a pic of a strap similar to mine:

http://i41.tinypic.com/vasyh.jpg

darkwolf291
07-04-2009, 07:57 PM
This probably isn't going to help you..but it doesn't matter

anacrucix
07-04-2009, 07:58 PM
on my strap thats the bottom (the bit with 2 bits going through it)

britishsligean
07-04-2009, 08:00 PM
the best plae to put it is where it feels comfortable on you especially with the platic ring. it won't damge it the worst it will do is scratch the paint work but all you need to say is it's general wear and tear

x_live4guitar_x
07-04-2009, 08:02 PM
The end that's sewn directly to the nylon is the "bottom". As a strap it doesn't matter, but it makes it easier to adjust, and usually that plastic in the middle of the strap hangs to your side instead of digging into your back.

Just a note, this doesn't have anything to do with your post...but since you don't know about straps youll thank me for this later....when you start playing with a band run your guitar cable from behind your strap to the jack so if you step on your cord, it tugs on the strap and it wont rip your cable out. :)

LemonBurst
07-04-2009, 08:08 PM
The end that's sewn directly to the nylon is the "bottom". As a strap it doesn't matter, but it makes it easier to adjust, and usually that plastic in the middle of the strap hangs to your side instead of digging into your back.

Just a note, this doesn't have anything to do with your post...but since you don't know about straps youll thank me for this later....when you start playing with a band run your guitar cable from behind your strap to the jack so if you step on your cord, it tugs on the strap and it wont rip your cable out. :)

That little strap trick seems really handy!

conor1148
07-04-2009, 08:31 PM
that better not be a guitar hero strap, it looks like one

MetalMan313
07-04-2009, 09:16 PM
once you find the right length with the adjustable part in the front, flip it around so the adjustable side goes in the lowest strap nut in your guitar, then run your cable like the above poster mentioned, if its a good strap it wont re-adjust as you play,

thats how i do it at least

x_live4guitar_x
07-04-2009, 09:20 PM
That little strap trick seems really handy!

Yeah because there's nothing like walking to the front of the stage for a killer lead and ripping your cable out on the way...lol.

darkwolf291
07-04-2009, 11:12 PM

Never thought about that...thanks dude

LemonBurst
07-05-2009, 06:14 AM

Guitar Hero straps are too small, it wouldn't fit.

havokca
07-05-2009, 09:57 AM

It says "PEAVEY" on it :haha: