the concept of jazz soloing

PDA

View Full Version : the concept of jazz soloing

NEmafia
07-05-2009, 11:57 PM
i've recentally been looking more and more in to my jazz playing and when i solo i don't really know what to do to. i know my scales and my chords but i don't know how a jazz guitarist would approch a solo. so i was wondering if there where anybody that could help me out and maybe give me a good phrase or two.

hocusfocus
07-06-2009, 12:05 AM
play what you would sing....play what you feel. play from inside. thats what jazz soloing is. It's "speaking" how you feel through your instrument

tom1thomas1
07-06-2009, 05:44 AM
^^^yes you do all that but when you're just starting it doesn't really help much.

^-^
07-06-2009, 08:22 PM
find a piece of the song, either your part, or someone elses, something that's key, like the songs motif. then you use that as a base, and just mess around with it, and since your playing jazz or blues, a wrong note can be turned into a right note, so if your scales aren't solid, it's easy to fix. That's the easy way to go.

guitarplaya322
07-10-2009, 07:16 PM
As already said Easy ways to go is to learn the head and just base your solo, this usually sounds good and you wont lose your place, so its good for the beginner. But once you gain experience you should be basing your solos of off scales for each chord since with most non-blues jazz songs, you wont be able to simply play in one scale and have it fit over all the chords, you'll have to base your playing off the chords, which is quite challening at first.

carmour
07-11-2009, 04:34 AM
start by learning some standards - learn the melody, then learn the arpeggious for each chord, maybe do some enclonsure, base your playing off the melody to start with and you should be sweet, switching up phrasing a bit. Chromatic approaches to notes can get you out of sticky situations when you lose your place :P

NEmafia
07-12-2009, 01:25 AM
are there any good jazz stadards anyone would like to recomend me? also i looking into different scales for each chords and i can do that but i have a tough time making the transitions smooth, any advice?

JAZZ_MAN919
07-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Listen to alot of Jazz and try and take some ideas, play over over standards like Autumn Leaves, Billies Bounce, Blue Bossa, Satin Doll, Summertime, All Blues and just keep practicing. Transcribing music helps quite alot too. Hope that helps

Axegrinder#9
07-15-2009, 02:40 PM
i've recentally been looking more and more in to my jazz playing and when i solo i don't really know what to do to. i know my scales and my chords but i don't know how a jazz guitarist would approch a solo. so i was wondering if there where anybody that could help me out and maybe give me a good phrase or two.

look you need to study some of the greats. the best way to go about that is to listen attentively to the music of the real cats, and for guitar I'm saying Wes, Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell, etc. and then the horn players, from Bird to Trane and Miles. you need to sit down and transcribe some of their tunes, or at least arrange them for guitar on your own. if you have your theory down like you said, the best way is to really try and dig into what the great cats were doing conceptually (not just theoretically).

at the end of the day, whether you're playing rock, ****, jazz, junk, punk, you're still trying to externalize deep-seated feelings inside your head through the process of improvising. how good it sounds depends on your translation mechanism, and the vocabulary of music only part of it, the rest you kind of have to dig into yourself and wrench out.

Weeping_Demon7
07-21-2009, 02:42 AM
find a piece of the song, either your part, or someone elses, something that's key, like the songs motif. then you use that as a base, and just mess around with it, and since your playing jazz or blues, a wrong note can be turned into a right note, so if your scales aren't solid, it's easy to fix. That's the easy way to go.
Not really. With the blues, you can dick around on almost any note and it just sounds like a passing or leading tone; with jazz however, there is a much more methodical approach.

There are several ways to approach a jazz solo. Perhaps the most basic, is taking a very short phrase (like the melody hook) (four notes, give or take) and inversing it, rhythmically altering it, and playing it different.

Another way is to take a look at the passing chords and play around in that arpeggio. For instance, take "'Round Midnight" by T. Monk. One of the main phrases in this piece is a descending fourth chord progression. It goes:

Bm7....E7....Bbm7....Eb7....Abm7....Db7

It is possible to play a Mixolydian mode and dropping a double flat 7 on the minor 7s and dance around the key signature (which is open, but revolves on a A diatonic major to Ab diatonic major to a Gb diatonic major), however, this is impractical due to the atonality of it and isn't as economical as using the arpeggios.

For instance, the first leg of it (Bm7 to E7) could be expressed in something such as a B A F# D F# G# D E and you can inverse it and mold it to the other chords.

^-^
07-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Not really. With the blues, you can dick around on almost any note and it just sounds like a passing or leading tone; with jazz however, there is a much more methodical approach.

There are several ways to approach a jazz solo. Perhaps the most basic, is taking a very short phrase (like the melody hook) (four notes, give or take) and inversing it, rhythmically altering it, and playing it different.

um, excuse me, you accused me of being wrong, when all my post was worded differn'ty, and in simple englsih, to make it a little simpler for everyone to understand, not just those of us who speak in music terms. I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I said, but others we're agreeing with me, and since this is to help everyone, not just those who know enough theory to understand all of the musical terms you use, I thought it best to make it simple. I only posted one way, but that doesn't mean that my one way is wrong. Your post is much more indepth, and is very helpful to the advanced players, and will be much apprciated here, but the simplest stuff must be their to, in plain English for those just starting off. Both work, so please, don't throw my, or anyone else's post around trying to fix them, unless the person is just being an a$$.

MuffinMan
07-22-2009, 05:14 PM
um, excuse me, you accused me of being wrong, when all my post was worded differn'ty, and in simple englsih, to make it a little simpler for everyone to understand, not just those of us who speak in music terms. I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I said, but others we're agreeing with me, and since this is to help everyone, not just those who know enough theory to understand all of the musical terms you use, I thought it best to make it simple. I only posted one way, but that doesn't mean that my one way is wrong. Your post is much more indepth, and is very helpful to the advanced players, and will be much apprciated here, but the simplest stuff must be their to, in plain English for those just starting off. Both work, so please, don't throw my, or anyone else's post around trying to fix them, unless the person is just being an a$$.
He was actually very polite and helpful. There's no need for you to get defensive over it.

carmour
07-22-2009, 11:40 PM

o_O

guitarplaya322
07-23-2009, 12:06 AM
o_O
LOL

willwelsh816
07-23-2009, 01:36 AM
Licks?

guitarplaya322
07-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Licks?
http://www.jazzguitar.be/jazzguitar_licks.html

Alot to look at here.

NEmafia
07-24-2009, 11:52 PM
well thanks this is actually been pretty helpful, too bad i keep changing my intrests and main focus. i swear first it was rockabilly, then jazz, taking a sharp right to playing the keyboard like the doors, to spanish guitar, and finally back to jazz...... i need to get my priorities in order if i want to learn something but anyways thanks all who have helped

guitarplaya322
07-26-2009, 11:35 AM
well thanks this is actually been pretty helpful, too bad i keep changing my intrests and main focus. i swear first it was rockabilly, then jazz, taking a sharp right to playing the keyboard like the doors, to spanish guitar, and finally back to jazz...... i need to get my priorities in order if i want to learn something but anyways thanks all who have helped
Do it all, dude!

NEmafia
07-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Do it all, dude!'

i would..... but then i don't really get anything acomplished :(