Rainmaker (Progressive/Melodic/how about you decide) / [GP5][GP4][MIDI]

PDA

View Full Version : Rainmaker (Progressive/Melodic/how about you decide) / [GP5][GP4][MIDI]

CMon
07-07-2009, 08:40 AM
This is the first song on an album I'm putting together. In this one I've tried to make a melodic/symphonic type of heavy rock-music without using any orchestral instruments, thus the only instruments I will be using are the guitars, drums and bass.

The album itself as a whole I envisage will be influenced by orchestral music (still without the instruments) and industrial music aside from my standard progressive rock music. The story around the whole album is set in a steampunk world where water is sparse (thus, the title of the song).

Many thanks to Imperial Trog for the inspiration to create the heavy riff of this song in the song builder game I posted last week.

C4C, you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours ;)

Edgecrsuher
07-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Good job! I think that the bass line could be changed a little bit, sometimes it has to notes. But besides that, it's a very cool song. Congrats!

Bigaxmax
07-07-2009, 03:50 PM
when i first pressed play, i thought, oh no not another ponse messing around the E power chord area, and then i came on bar 3... :o

very nice layering ideas, you got a whole bunch going on which i find very interesting.
i think you did very well with your aim, i feel a big influence of everything in the classical region, sounds kinda ambient in a way. it just sounds lovely in a nutshell haha.

as someone else said, the bass is a little odd, maybe a more solid line? but its entirely your choice.

only thing i dont quite think fits in, but it does?.. is bars 41 and 42, im pretty sure the idea is repeated elsewhere aswell, but to me you kinda floated around a nice area, and then just went over the limit too fast and it weirdly distorts that whole ambient feeling.

also, the heavier part i think could be made a bit more like the rest of it, its a good change from the cleaner stuff, but maybe a full on 3 finger powerchord for the distorted and 2 finger for the overdrive, maybe kinda picking rhythm over the top and maybe a lead line? its all up to you, but i mean, i can hear how you intend it to sound, and on real guitars etc it would sound just how you feel it would, but on GP its lacking the coolness that the rest of it has.

and last crit, nothing music wise just playing wise, if you struggle playing any of those chordy parts, consider changing positions, mainly up a string and a bunch of frets up (up being the lower string, and i think its 6/7 frets but i forget xD) just so you dont have to jump around as much, and same with the bass, i think it goes to fret 15 on the E string at one point haha.

other than that i think you did a very good job, the drums fit nicely along aswell which is often a weak point and i really enjoyed listening to it, id like to hear the rest of this album :devil:

crit mine? :D http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158227

07-11-2009, 01:24 PM
liked it:)
reminded me of epic iron maiden tracks
c4c http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160208

jimmyled
07-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Very good! The acoustic part sounds Chinese. Me likey.
C4C: Mine! (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160749)

CMon
07-13-2009, 08:14 AM
*snip*

Yeah, I might rework the bassline a little bit. I wanted to refrain from a steady line in an attempt to avoid being monotonous, but I realize that the odd note combos might be a little too out of system for the song to catch on to a larger audience.

As a side note; Track 2, (I figure it will be entitled "Machinery") which is a work in progress in far more industry/beat reliant and I'm making an attempt at a solid, yet various bassline. (The drum and bass is the main driver for the song.)

Otherwise, I'll take your criticism into account. Additionally, for the technical bit, yes, one of my friends also commented on that. It takes stamina to shift gripping techniques all the time so I'll probably make it simpler.

And thanks for liking the drumwork. I'm usually proud of my percussion :)

Niko_k
07-13-2009, 08:39 AM
I hate to sound like a prude but please don't call this prog. It's in 4/4 and doesn't even leave E.....

I think you need to work on moving around a lot more and have some different lead ins to give it more dynacism. I don't know the genre you're aiming for though :S The intro could use a little bit of a build up before you introduce the main melody. Maybe a ballad-esque harmonized intro or something to get people excited.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161807

CMon
07-13-2009, 11:40 AM
I hate to sound like a prude but please don't call this prog. It's in 4/4 and doesn't even leave E.....

I think you need to work on moving around a lot more and have some different lead ins to give it more dynacism. I don't know the genre you're aiming for though :S The intro could use a little bit of a build up before you introduce the main melody. Maybe a ballad-esque harmonized intro or something to get people excited.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161807

I never really aimed for prog in the first place and I have no interest in making a closer approach to it as I find it a silly genre. (It spans a really wide array of music and I don't even know of any worthy classification other than "different".) I used it in the description because I figure that the fusion between acousticism and hard rock was "progressive". I don't know. Prog is a stupid genre. :(

I largely don't think I should be aiming for genres though. I make up particular imagery, or a particular mindset and work from there, the music gets molded gradually rather than after a certain goal ;)

I've got little time on my hands right now but I'll take a look at yours as soon as I've got more.

Niko_k
07-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I don't think you have the right to pick at the mentality behind prog.....It's an amazing genre and you're a beginner musician to believe it's a STUPID genre.

CMon
07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't think you have the right to pick at the mentality behind prog.....It's an amazing genre and you're a beginner musician to believe it's a STUPID genre.

Prog is hardly a genre IMO. Not more than i.e. "Pop" or "Electronica". (Which aren't specific either.)

Progressive defines a huge array of music that attempts different keys and tempos in particular. Now I'm aware of that Rainmaker is not progressive in this sense, and that the only "unordinary" element is the acoustic versus the electric. (And maybe the tribal drum pattern, lolol)

By saying that "prog is a stupid genre" I was clearly being sarcastic/sardonic. I don't think you should be so defensive over music. If I were to take action every time some hardcore DnB fanboy said that Pendulum "sucked" I wouldn't have the time to actually listen to music ;)

malephik
08-31-2009, 04:52 AM
not really my piece of cake, but I enjoyed it, great song!
also, I like the idea of using both snares and bass drums in gp, gives more of a kick. I think I'll try it out...

DaddyTwoFoot
09-01-2009, 10:27 PM

Shush. Don't be a condescending sissy.