R.I.P Metalcore

PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Metalcore

XMeatHookMartyX
07-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I am a bit on the opposite of sober side tonight, but mostly nostalgic, so this thread is for people who want to talk about good metalcore bands that broke up. This is not about hardcore bands or bands that broke up before you were even in the scene, said instances will not be accepted and you will be disavowed from my thread. Feel free not to play. You don't even have to love the band anymore, I mostly want to hear about everyone's early metalcore years. I mean, if your early years in the scene were involved in metalcore, I acknowledge not everyone was there ever. Just name ones that you used to, or currently love, and describe them a bit.

Additional rule: if someone names a metalcore band that you do not like, you may, RESPECTFULLY proclaim your distaste for the band. So long as posters maintain the rules of the game, it is inadmissible for anyone else to flame them, no matter how ****ty you think the band they mention is. Let's keep this thread 'posi,' as it were. I want this thread to be fun, and somewhat evocative. Let's do it!

Anyways just to get us started:

Breather Resist- Good ****ing dudes, sometimes considered post-hardcore, but only seem like it now as a band called Young Widows. Changed their name in 2006, without the original singer.

Curl Up & Die- These dudes were great, very metallic and tight. Pretty ****ing funny too. I had the providence to see them back in '05 right before they broke up. Also, during '"Total Pandemonium," the singer gave me the mic and grabbed another one while we gazed in each others eyes and finished out the song. Broke up in 2005.

The Rise- Rad 5 piece attached to Ferret records during their glory days. They were a techno-metalcore band, which I realize sounds lame, but in their case was not. Seriously, listen to "The Fallacy of Retrospective Determinism." Broke up in 2005.

Life in Pictures- This band was awesome, locally from here in Arizona. They were partly responsible for me meeting a lot of my friends (not directly, I don't name drop), and introducing me to the hardcore/metalcore music scene here. I wasn't a big fan of their last release, but it was still pretty good. Broke up in 2006.

Scarlet- To this day, still one of my favorite bands. One of the bigger names in Ferret Records' early years. Ironically, they broke up after their tour van crashed and their trailer spilled out a load of their latest (at the time) releases, aptly titled "This Was Always Meant to Fall Apart." Broke up in 2006.

Taken- This band was so so very good, came out of Cali in the 90's, and was commonly erroneously called 'The Taken,' by even some of the so called 'hardcore elite,' even some of the hardcore kids that I went to high school with who hated me because I was
14 and getting into that scene tried to name drop them, but again, called them 'The Taken.' I can't believe I just wasted a whole two, well, now three sentences telling you about how some people mistakenly used an unnecessary 'The' before their name, I have just become an enemy of anyone who is interesting. Sorry. Anyways, this band is rad, but they broke up in 2004.

There are plenty more, but I want to hear your guys' opinions!
This thread will probably be a failure however, and I will become the misfit of the board who writes really long posts, quintessentially talking to himself because no one cares enough to read. My life will then become obsolete and self-mutilation will be the only cure for my manic depression, and I will soon find myself living in a crappy apartment filled with hungry cats while I waste my days away jerking off to the days that I thought I was semi-respected on this board (even though I never was). Thanks for reading, dicks.
(Sorry, even while I was typing all of that up, I did not sober up).

Toms' anominous
07-08-2009, 09:34 AM
am i allowed to miss the old kinda crap bfmv over the new deffinately **** bfmv?

XMeatHookMartyX
07-08-2009, 09:36 AM
am i allowed to miss the old kinda crap bfmv over the new deffinately **** bfmv?

are they broken up?

oh what the hell, sure you can.

pigeonmafia
07-08-2009, 09:37 AM
I miss the old bullet too :(

handbanana
07-08-2009, 09:43 AM
botch is all thats important

XMeatHookMartyX
07-08-2009, 09:52 AM

botch was amazing, but there are still other good metalcore bands that were overshadowed by said band. plus they broke up a few short months before i started getting into that scene.

SeveredSurvival
07-08-2009, 10:04 AM
SikTh. RIP

XMeatHookMartyX
07-08-2009, 10:19 AM
names and descriptions please. also, when the situation merits, links, posters, links!

kurtrip
07-08-2009, 10:50 AM
-Unbroken
-Disembodied
-Acme
-Aclys
-Systral
-Burial Year
-Countervail
-Slave One
-Carol
-Artimus Pyle

likeomgtehtuck!
07-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Curl Up and Die, man i remember that band. I used to ****ing love them.

you = fail
07-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I miss old bullet too :(

pmeg568c
07-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Cave In!!!

XMeatHookMartyX
07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Curl Up and Die, man i remember that band. I used to ****ing love them.

did you see them when they played the modified arts 4 years ago? it was the tits.

likeomgtehtuck!
07-08-2009, 11:55 AM
nah i got into them like right before they broke up :(

SadistNation
07-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Darkest Hour was the bee's knees back in the day. I saw them for the first time in either 05 or 06 with Himsa and A Life Once Lost, it was an amazing show. Both Darkest Hour and Himsa were great before their latest releases. Altough i hear Darkest Hour's newest which has either been leaked or is officially out now is pretty solid and along the lines of their older stuff.

And i've always had a pretty deep rooted respect for you Marty, partly because you always remind me to listen to Sawtooth.

Squifey
07-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Himsa
A Dozen Furies
Dead To Fall
Lamb of God(when they were good)
Overcast
Scars of Tomorrow

XMeatHookMartyX
07-08-2009, 12:29 PM
yeah, himsa was pretty good. it was just weird seeing these dudes who looked like metalheads in a band with a scenster singer.

jonnowev
07-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh man, Himsa, I still need to check out their albums...

JxD
07-08-2009, 12:36 PM
yeah, himsa was pretty good. it was just weird seeing these dudes who looked like metalheads in a band with a scenster singer.
Ha, that scenester singer was (probably) John Pettibone of Undertow fame. Probably one of the best bands out of the 90's.
I remember seeing Darkest Hour in 2006, they put on a really good show. Their guitarist was shredding so hard and I distinctly recall their drummer having good stage presence, which is rare for drummers being that they hide behind their kits. On a more recent note, I saw Buried Inside Sunday night. They're an Ontario band doing a metalcore/sludge kind of thing and it was excellent. www.myspace.com/buriedinside

XMeatHookMartyX
07-08-2009, 12:42 PM
yeah man, i know the deal. it wasn't derogatory, but seriously, he was a pretty stark contrast to his band mates man.

willingvictim
07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Old Poison the Well got me into any sort of metalcore/hardcore that I'm into today. Cave In was ****ing awesome.. band was seriously so good and I hope they release something again soon. Botch was awesome.. definitely not all that matters.. especially since Narrows is pretty much picking up from there. Breather Resist was sweet.. Young Widows also rules. Disembodied is heavier than most **** coming out today. And of course Curl Up and Die had some bangers.. dudes voice is hilarious/awesome.

aggiefan33
07-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Taken was ****ing amazing. I could listen to Between Two Unseens all day. Thank you for this thread.

IlikeTheSKA
07-08-2009, 01:02 PM
beat me to it

XMeatHookMartyX
07-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Taken was ****ing amazing. I could listen to Between Two Unseens all day. Thank you for this thread.

you are quite welcome sir. <3

recklessnick
07-08-2009, 01:19 PM
A Dozen Furies

cant think of many metalcore bands that i miss.

handbanana
07-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Old Poison the Well got me into any sort of metalcore/hardcore that I'm into today. Cave In was ****ing awesome.. band was seriously so good and I hope they release something again soon. Botch was awesome.. definitely not all that matters.. especially since Narrows is pretty much picking up from there. Breather Resist was sweet.. Young Widows also rules. Disembodied is heavier than most **** coming out today. And of course Curl Up and Die had some bangers.. dudes voice is hilarious/awesome.

ptw, while being great, isn't broken up

willingvictim
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
ptw, while being great, isn't broken up

really?!

no ****, i was giving homage to old PTW considering it sounds nothing like the new

Hcmanu
07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Botch.

XMeatHookMartyX
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
really?!

no ****, i was giving homage to old PTW considering it sounds nothing like the new

no reason to get defensive, man.

SadistNation
07-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I remember seeing Darkest Hour in 2006, they put on a really good show. Their guitarist was shredding so hard and I distinctly recall their drummer having good stage presence, which is rare for drummers being that they hide behind their kits.

Their drummer was in City of Caterpillar and is now is Verse En Coma, if you didn't know them definitely check them out!

And Pettibone has been in the metalcore scene for a whillllle, solid guy.

and remember guys 'Posi' thread, Mr. Marty is right!

MustangMan311
07-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Cave In!!!
They released a new single today: https://www.decoymusic.com/news_posts/26622

willingvictim
07-08-2009, 03:32 PM
no reason to get defensive, man.

hes my friend IRL and shouldnt doubt my knowledge

XMeatHookMartyX
07-08-2009, 04:32 PM

i was not aware, i apologize.

aggiefan33
07-08-2009, 05:37 PM
PTW's newest album rules I might add

handbanana
07-08-2009, 05:51 PM

wasn't doubting your knowlege, i know ptw is one of your all time faves, was just noting that im pretty sure the idea of this thread was to name old metalcore bands that aren't together anymore. really doesn't matter though cuz old ptw is the ****

Squifey
07-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Well in their first albums he looked scene, but after Hail Horror cmae out, he knew what was up.

Oh man, Himsa, I still need to check out their albums...
Check out Hail Horror and Summon In Thunder.

willingvictim
07-08-2009, 09:34 PM
i was not aware, i apologize.

haha its all good brah

Daggermouth
07-08-2009, 10:14 PM
[B][U]ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkk metalcore.
good riddance.

JxD
07-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Their drummer was in City of Caterpillar and is now is Verse En Coma, if you didn't know them definitely check them out!
Ah yes, I knew this! City of Cat is so so so good. I'll definitely check out Verse En Coma too.

12shinn21
07-08-2009, 11:29 PM
7 angels 7 plagues
skycamefalling
botch

hard_rock101
07-09-2009, 01:17 AM
im going to say haste the day, because they are a different ****ing band now. singer is good, but they aren't that heavy anymore since they kicked their lead guitarist out. Changed drummers too. the last album was weak compared to the ones that preceeded it

SadistNation
07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Well in their first albums he looked scene, but after Hail Horror cmae out, he knew what was up.

Check out Hail Horror and Summon In Thunder.

Definitely NOT Summon In Thunder. Hail Horror was pretty solid but Courting Tragedy And Disaster is a work of art, by far their best.

anybody miss Winter Solstice?

Gymmeh
07-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Cave In!!!
Reunion :cool:

I have a cave in tat on my leg...

Hybrid_Xer0
07-10-2009, 09:01 AM
I only just started getting into older style metalcore.

my favourites so far are A Dozen Furies, Manntis and Phoenix Mourning.

livingbankrupt
07-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Shai Hulud. While they are not "broken up', only Matt Fox remains from the original line up. considering theyve been around for like 15 years and have had almost 20 past members... this band should count.

Another band, same deal. Zao. NO original members... completely different band too. but Liberate Te Ex Infirus and "Where blood and Fire Brings Rest' are great.

willingvictim
07-10-2009, 11:11 AM
I only just started getting into older style metalcore.

my favourites so far are A Dozen Furies, Manntis and Phoenix Mourning.

ehh...

birdman267
07-10-2009, 09:47 PM
It Dies Today got me into Metalcore.
They are pretty meh though looking back.

TatarSalad2
07-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I miss Trivium's first two releases. I don't like the direction they're headed in. Same thing with A7X.

handbanana
07-12-2009, 09:05 PM
A7X always sucked

Redy2Rage
08-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Himsa
A Dozen Furies
Dead To Fall
Overcast
Scars of Tomorrow

Man Dead to Fall is the fu(kin bawls.

so glad i got to see them right before they split.
Eternal Gates of Hell is still one of my fav songs ever.

tancanada
08-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Living Sacrifice's old stuff was SO good.

BassNewbie
08-13-2009, 03:28 PM
i miss mortal treason:( really if you never heard sunrise over see of blood listen to it once or twice

moving on tho uhh
winter solstice
old atreyu
poison the well(maybe)

Bleurgh
08-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Himsa
A Dozen Furies
Dead To Fall
Overcast
Scars of Tomorrow
ಠ_ಠ

A Dozen Furies
Dead To Fall
Overcast
ಠ_ಠ

Dead To Fall
Overcast
ಠ_ಠ

Dead To Fall
ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ

(when they were good)
ಠ_ಠ

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
08-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Blood In/Blood Out, Earth Crisis, xMaroonx, Deadlock. I really got into those dudes back in the day. I tried listening to xMaroonx's newest album again the other day, so many generic breakdowns. What happened to the awesome German metalcore band they used to be?!

Killcount
08-13-2009, 07:16 PM
I miss Himsa and Botch for sure, Dead to Fall was pretty solid too. I can't really think of many metalcore bands I still like that much that broke up

Redy2Rage
08-14-2009, 03:25 AM
im going to say haste the day, because they are a different ****ing band now. singer is good, but they aren't that heavy anymore since they kicked their lead guitarist out. Changed drummers too. the last album was weak compared to the ones that preceeded it

Yea this is one of their sickest jams.
American Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJIpRlnaB9k

recklessnick
08-14-2009, 02:15 PM
linkin park

Haymaker17
08-14-2009, 03:53 PM
linkin park

definitely

One on Sunday
08-14-2009, 04:35 PM
*ಠ_ಠ post*
:haha: :haha: :haha:

Congrats, you made me laugh good sir

Redy2Rage
08-14-2009, 10:04 PM
linkin park

lol :no: nah

Chris1988
08-15-2009, 05:38 AM
A7X always sucked

Waking the Fallen was the first "heavy" album I bought so I have a soft spot for that.