Better Amp, VJ or Champ 600?

PDA

View Full Version : Better Amp, VJ or Champ 600?

willwelsh816
07-08-2009, 05:49 PM
which one would be better in an old-school blues environment(upright bass, piano, acoustic drum set, harmonica)

as you can see, my choices are mighty cheap, so don't tell me: "Marsh@ll Blues Br9kor is Br00t@lZ"

I'm kinda looking for something that won't break up like mad, because I wan't minimal distortion(think BB to Freddie King type distortion)

I have an Epiphone Dot, and a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive Pedal.

Lt.DanHasLegs
07-08-2009, 05:58 PM
the champ is a modeling amp yes? I"m a fan of the Valve Junior, its straightforward and leaves the tone to your fingers and guitar. Would this be for gigs? cause 5 watts won't handle gigs or even drums very well. Though, there's lots of mods on the internet for it to increase its wattage. But yeah, Valve junior is my vote.

willwelsh816
07-08-2009, 06:13 PM
the champ is no moddling amp, and if I was unsatisfied with the volume of the VJ, I could get a bigger cab(more speaker size, more decebels.)

Tonewize though.

I'm not playing in concerts, it's about the size of a starbucks, with a small raised part of the room for bands to play. We play Chicago style blues(lots of 9th chords) My Bassist, Pianist, are hooked up in mics through the PA. We get fine sound. I have a solid state right now, and I've blown it(15G frontman couldn't handle the volume on 7-8 all the time)

anything that can get louder than my frontman, and be safe, will be perfect. I'm leaning towards the VJ halfstack, only because of the bigger speaker.

JilaX^
07-08-2009, 06:20 PM
the champ is no moddling amp, and if I was unsatisfied with the volume of the VJ, I could get a bigger cab(more speaker size, more decebels.)

Tonewize though.

I'm not playing in concerts, it's about the size of a starbucks, with a small raised part of the room for bands to play. We play Chicago style blues(lots of 9th chords) My Bassist, Pianist, are hooked up in mics through the PA. We get fine sound. I have a solid state right now, and I've blown it(15G frontman couldn't handle the volume on 7-8 all the time)

anything that can get louder than my frontman, and be safe, will be perfect. I'm leaning towards the VJ halfstack, only because of the bigger speaker.

The Valve Junior, sucks ass.
I haven't heard -ANYONE- get a decent tone with those things. Even after tons of mods and EQ and OD pedals, it still doesn't sound good. You can't plish a turd.

The Champ is a classy amp, should work perfectly for you.

willwelsh816
07-08-2009, 06:40 PM
^Now that's the kind of answer I wanted :D

The Champ is discontinued, so I have to get it soon!

:peace:

guitarplaya322
07-22-2009, 10:21 AM
The Valve Junior, sucks ass.
I haven't heard -ANYONE- get a decent tone with those things. Even after tons of mods and EQ and OD pedals, it still doesn't sound good. You can't plish a turd.

The Champ is a classy amp, should work perfectly for you.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but, dude what? Valve Juniors are awesome.

pak1351
07-22-2009, 10:45 AM
^Nah, not really. Rehouse the champ in a 1x10 or 1x12 and you're golden

JilaX^
07-22-2009, 01:33 PM
Sorry to bump an old thread, but, dude what? Valve Juniors are awesome.

No. No they're not.
I challenge you to find one person who actually has good tone with them...
I'll be waiting. :p:

I mean, seriously.
You do every mod out there, and it'll still sound mediocre at best.

microtech
07-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Considered a Vibro Champ?

guitarplaya322
07-22-2009, 11:28 PM
No. No they're not.
I challenge you to find one person who actually has good tone with them...
I'll be waiting. :p:

I mean, seriously.
You do every mod out there, and it'll still sound mediocre at best.
They're awesome for the price of 100$!! :D

willwelsh816
07-23-2009, 01:40 AM
can I remind you guys that I'm Cold Turkey'ing from a 15G fender? I think anything better than that, would be perfect for me right now.

The halfstack is 220$ with the GC's 10% off coupon, so It looks like I'm goin for that on the 31'st.

JilaX^
07-23-2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Vibro-Champ-XD-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104494265-i1371396.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-AC4TV-4W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-476326-i1446380.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackheart-BH5-112-5W-1x12-Little-Giant-Tube-Combo-Amp-481675-i1387317.gc

Better options from GC.