your precious "breakdowns"

PDA

View Full Version : your precious "breakdowns"

TechnoJesus™
07-08-2009, 06:54 PM
I really don't see why everybody loves these and is like "oh the breakdown is awsome" in my opinion its actually the most boring part of the song.

Your thoughts?

chaos13
07-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Depends on the band. Some have awesome breakdowns, such as Meshuggah, but other bands, like BMTH, kinda suck at breakdowns.

Magnificoamar
07-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah I agree, most breakdowns I hear is just like...The open note in what ever drop tuning there in, in a very very slow fashion were everyone loves to bang there head. I would rather like to listen to something more then a 4/4 measure at 60bpm's...I'm not sure if thats boring to other people, but it is to me :P

lzrdsixsix6
07-08-2009, 07:00 PM
they do get old

TechnoJesus™
07-08-2009, 07:00 PM
i could not agree with you two more it really is like open strings at like drop a. ITS LAME

anacrucix
07-08-2009, 07:01 PM
i only like breakdowns if they are exotic

TechnoJesus™
07-08-2009, 07:03 PM
yea like get some weird timing maybe some other electronic elements or something. the china cymbal and down-tuned guitars are getting old and are over used.

anacrucix
i could not agree with you two more it really is like open strings at like drop a. ITS LAME

after the burial - the fractal effect 2:52

breakdown and yet nothing like what you described, i think the people complaining here just listen to bands which don't do breakdowns very well.

justinb904
like said above, they can be really awesome or really suck depending on the band that wrote them

in all honesty it's not that hard to write a good breakdown...

TechnoJesus™
07-08-2009, 07:04 PM
thats true its not hard. and yes I do think that it depends on the band sometimes rarely though

TechnoJesus™
07-08-2009, 07:07 PM
to anacrucix: right when i heard this band i knew that they were something original. they sound like mathcore.. and other genres its kinda different.

Winman9999
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
since I play in a deathcore band I appreciate break downs, they are fun to do live, but a good break down is more then open palm muted chord, my bands break downs are usually have hendrix chords(im not sure there real name thats just what we call them) tapping and sweeps in them, we try using unique rhythms also, anyways a good break down is awesome

SeveredSurvival
07-08-2009, 07:13 PM
^ Do you guys have a myspace or anything?

Winman9999
07-08-2009, 07:15 PM
yeah only one song up right now, we are still recording
http://www.myspace.com/thebattlebeforeus

screechuzi
07-08-2009, 07:15 PM
breakdowns r br00tal dUde

nuff said.

demonsage
07-08-2009, 07:16 PM
Honestly i love breakdowns here and there when a band CAN throw one down

but when BMTH throws them its like wtf was that but i just heard Muckrakers breakdown by Underneath the Gun and i love it !

abysspell
07-08-2009, 07:18 PM
only if a band knows how to do them right.. they are also awesome in a mosh ^_^

technicolour
07-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I prefer picking it up

demonsage
07-08-2009, 07:20 PM
i realized a lot of bands use a breakdown as a Bridge.

which i think is genius :)

jonnowev
07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
It's a staple part of this kinda music. If you don't love a good chug-fest then maybe you should leave this part of the forum...

technicolour
07-08-2009, 07:44 PM
It's a staple part of this kinda music. If you don't love a good chug-fest then maybe you should leave this part of the forum...

Converge

JxD
07-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Have you ever listened to a song by a hardcore band? I don't think we're hearing the same genre of music here.

zezimathehero
07-09-2009, 02:14 AM
Breakdowns are only good if the timing of them is right, and they don't last too long. When bands are like "I have no idea how to further this song, so let's just toss in a minute-long breakdown in 4/4 so the br00tal kids can mosh", it just sounds bad.

MustangMan311
07-09-2009, 02:27 AM
I ****ing love breakdowns.

Bignose
07-09-2009, 03:32 AM
I've never been big on them, but that said - as everyone is saying, very band dependant. And now I want to listen to The saddest day by converge.

jonnowev
07-09-2009, 04:17 AM
Converge

One band?

Wow, you certainly proved me wrong.

Have you ever listened to a song by a hardcore band? I don't think we're hearing the same genre of music here.

If you hadnt realised, this hardcore forum isnt just dedicated to the old school stuff. ;)

bill_talent
07-09-2009, 06:53 AM
after the burial - the fractal effect 2:52

breakdown and yet nothing like what you described, i think the people complaining here just listen to bands which don't do breakdowns very well.

I just listened to that breakdown... it is insane. The whole song is insane.

anacrucix
07-09-2009, 07:32 AM
I just listened to that breakdown... it is insane. The whole song is insane.

the first time i heard that breakdown i actually laughed, just cause when it first comes in it sounds so fruity but yeah, thats an awesome album, really intrigued by the re-release, pretty sure it won't be worth paying for the album again, but somehow i'll end up buying it anyway!

3rdActguitarist
07-09-2009, 08:45 AM
I like breakdowns that are quick tempoed and different.

Examples:
Open Arms To Damnation -- Born of Osiris
Up Against the Ropes -- August Burns Red

These are good breakdowns

willingvictim
07-09-2009, 09:23 AM
I mean pretty much EVERY "core" band is going to have some sort of break downs.. doesn't mean it will be generic and chuggy. Most hardcore bands just slow **** down.. the chug breakdowns generally come from NYHC or beatdown stuff.. then really.. really lame **** like liferuiner and recon, and of course deathcore/metalcore, throw in the over exaggerated extremely slow break downs or the ones with retarded ass timings. i dont see how weird timing makes a chug any better

+}-136-{+
07-09-2009, 09:24 AM

If you hadnt realised, this hardcore forum isnt just dedicated to the old school stuff. ;)

And in case you didn't realize, this hardcore forum isn't just dedicated to haircut emoboy bands that like to wank off their E-strings. There's a chance I could be wrong but that seemed like what JxD was trying to get across. Why you find any problem in his response and why you made such a retarded statement in the first place is beyond me.

jonnowev
07-09-2009, 09:28 AM
I like breakdowns that are quick tempoed and different.

Examples:
Open Arms To Damnation -- Born of Osiris
Up Against the Ropes -- August Burns Red

These are good breakdowns

Up Against the Ropes is just like... :headbang:

TonyRandall
07-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Depends on the band. Some have awesome breakdowns, such as Meshuggah, but other bands, like BMTH, kinda suck at breakdowns.

bring me the horizon just sucks at everything

ChrisN
07-09-2009, 10:54 AM
Want good breakdowns? The Wildhearts.

Neox22xx
07-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I think they have to be used appropriately not just as filler for when the guys have no idea what to do next. I actually love the breakdown at the end of Faith or Forgiveness by The Ghost Inside even though it is slow and painfully simple.

3rdActguitarist
07-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Up Against the Ropes is just like...

Damn straight dude. Thats the song I play whenever I wanna get pumped up for something lol

bring me the horizon just sucks at everything

Except hair cuts

Phoenix322
07-09-2009, 01:58 PM
I really don't see why everybody loves these and is like "oh the breakdown is awsome" in my opinion its actually the most boring part of the song.

Your thoughts?

I agree. They're nothing special and often boring. I especially hate when a band feels like putting 3 breakdowns in one song("Romance Is Dead" by Parkway Drive comes to mind").

Rufiothebandito
07-09-2009, 02:10 PM
I love breakdowns as long as they are used tastefully and usually if they have a lead over them.
It's great when you hear a breakdown for 2 measures or so, then a tasty lead comes in to complete it.
Definitely nothing wrong with breakdowns until they become a gimmick and get a little generic. It gives certain songs a much needed caveman-ish primal sort of teeth grit section that I can fully appreciate when done right.

recklessnick
07-09-2009, 02:12 PM
breakdowns are more of a 'feel' thing, to me.
sometimes i hear a breakdown, which sounds the same as every other breakdown, but i just feel like punching someone.
cant stand songs that have like 10 breakdowns though. (emmure emmure emmure emmure)

GodofCheesecake
07-09-2009, 04:40 PM
For the most part I dislike breakdowns, but when they're done right they can be amazing. After the Burial, August Burns Red, All Shall Perish, Veil of Maya, Beneath the Massacre, BTBAM, and Born of Osiris can do them right. I'll agree that SOME bands overuse them, but that's no reason to judge them-- or entire genres, for that matter-- as overdone and generic.

c o n n o r
07-09-2009, 08:05 PM
oh this is why i love breakdowns its a part where everyone in the band come to together to play some awesome shiit!
its when you can change timing like a technical madman and still have the amazing drummer keep a beat, oh yes and of course the crowd goes nuts!

brandon369852
07-09-2009, 09:59 PM
It gets boring when they all sound the same, which is why when I write breakdowns, it's normally poly-time signature and synchopated as a mother fucker.

Okeefe Is Legit
07-09-2009, 10:22 PM
When I look at them from a musician's standpoint, they're usually not very unique or interesting at all, but I still love them for some reason :shrug:

intentionsthere
07-10-2009, 12:30 AM
When used right, breakdowns are so good. Some do sound forced and sometimes they're boring and overused, but a good breakdown can add so much to a song.

afallenone
07-10-2009, 01:36 AM
who cares? if it sounds good and gets stuck in your head then enjoy it. my band sucks and uses a lot of them but you can mix em up and do stuff tastefully or at least interestingly.

www.myspace.com/acityundone

you will probably all hate my emo bitchass now but i don't care haha

likeomgtehtuck!
07-10-2009, 12:03 PM
i wouldnt call what you do tasteful.

lordofthefood1
07-10-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't think I've ever written a serious breakdown with open notes. I usually have the bass doing something really sludgy and chromatic and the guitar alternating between different types of doublestops (I like doing root-fourth) and then dissonant doublestops/chords

handbanana
07-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Breakdowns=MOSH

JxD
07-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I like sludge breakdowns like His Hero Is Gone kind of stuff.

aggiefan33
07-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I like sludge breakdowns like His Hero Is Gone kind of stuff.
the end result of 11 days in the mental hospital = **** yes. i love converge's the lowest common denominator as well.

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
07-10-2009, 02:30 PM
There's already a huge thread on breakdowns. Use it.