slide

PDA

View Full Version : slide

^-^
07-10-2009, 12:42 AM
so, i'm a blues player, and i've been intrested in playing slide for a while. My main problem is i only have one electric guitar right now, and am not in a possition to pick up a new one right now. This means that open tuning are probably out. So my questions are.
1. are their any slide players that play in standard?
2. if i tuned to an open tuning, could i transfer every thing i know on my guitar over to it?

guitarsftw
07-10-2009, 12:47 AM
1. i believe Brett Garsed has done some slide playing in standard tuning. many others have, too.

2. why not?

sw1ss023
07-10-2009, 12:49 AM
I think Stormy May Day is a slide song in starndard tuning. It's on AC/DC's latest album, Black Ice.

wholelottabon
07-10-2009, 12:51 AM
warren hayes does great slide in standard, and rory gallagher too

but everything you know doesnt necessarily transfer over too well into most open tunings its hard to use the same scales and techniques etc

^-^
07-10-2009, 12:54 AM
1. i believe Brett Garsed has done some slide playing in standard tuning. many others have, too.

2. why not?

well, i'm imagining it'd be quite hard to transfer things from standard to say, open D.... but it would improve my ears...

guitarsftw
07-10-2009, 12:55 AM
well, i'm imagining it'd be quite hard to transfer things from standard to say, open D.... but it would improve my ears...
it would be weird at first, but it would make you less dependent on patterns and more in sync with overall tonality

pak1351
07-10-2009, 07:22 AM
I've been tuning to drop d (I think that's the term, low e to d) for slide, and it's a little easier than standard while still being familiar

carmour
07-10-2009, 11:08 AM
What's the problem with changing between standard and open tunings? Just learn some songs in open tunings, get some of the boxes or phrases worked out so you can use them in different keys and work out your **** from there, if all else fails, use your ears. Start with Elmore, get your Dust my broom on. DOIT.

WeeWeeKing
07-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't think that you should have any problem playing slide with open tunings.

Erasmo.Tiruri
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
geez, I wish someday can dominate the slide technique.

Dchild042
07-10-2009, 03:01 PM
so, i'm a blues player, and i've been intrested in playing slide for a while. My main problem is i only have one electric guitar right now, and am not in a possition to pick up a new one right now. This means that open tuning are probably out. So my questions are.
1. are their any slide players that play in standard?
2. if i tuned to an open tuning, could i transfer every thing i know on my guitar over to it?

I started to play only in open e and it actually simplifies many scales and chords because the strings are only 3 notes (B, G#, and E) instead of 6. It also makes memorizing the fretboard easier. And for chords it takes a while but once you figure out all of them in open e the shapes can be applied all over the fretboard and its easier than standard but you have to play triad and usually cant let all the notes ring out. Ill post some examples in a second.

EDIT:
C major scale

|--------------------------------------------------------8-10-12------
|---------------------------------------------8-10-12-----------------
|---------------------------------------8--9----------------------------
|--------------------------------8-10----------------------------------
|---------------------8-10-12-----------------------------------------
|------8-10-12-13----------------------------------------------------

And this shape can be applied in any key as a major 7th
Cmaj7:

G#--8------------
E---7-----------
B---8------------

Matt-92
07-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Mick Taylor i think plays slide in standard tuning

^-^
07-11-2009, 04:37 PM
also, anouther question, and this one may just be cause i'm a bit ignorent of other tunings, but why are all the open tuning's i've been hearing of major? why not have a minor tuning?

Bluestube
07-11-2009, 07:14 PM
also, anouther question, and this one may just be cause i'm a bit ignorent of other tunings, but why are all the open tuning's i've been hearing of major? why not have a minor tuning?

David Gilmour plays slide in open Em on Pink Floyd's High Hopes

Zoot Allures
07-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Skip james used open D minor all the time...

Regibald
07-15-2009, 06:55 AM
The slide part of Fleetwood Mac's Albatross is/can be played in Standard Tuning, and is nice, but not particularly extensive.