PDA

View Full Version : At a loss in a song im making. *GP5*

canadaboy700
07-11-2009, 07:12 AM
I have no idea where to go from here.

Help please.

Outlaw Torn
07-11-2009, 07:19 AM
hey that sounds cool so far, i was thinking that you could continue that last riff for another bar or something then at the end of it add a little fill based on the scale that goes over the top of the first riff. after that you could probs try adding a faster palm muted chugging riff with some triplets in it... just a suggesting on what i would do..i would try and edit it for you with gp5 but sadly i struggle to use it:(

Toms' anominous
07-11-2009, 07:36 AM
i agree with extending the riff another bar. after that i would have a sudden change in melody or style. something that resolves the tension created by the main riff. i'm thinking pth style so some 4 note power chords with a scale, maybe even some sweeps... it's just what i would do...

hellbound_jonny
07-11-2009, 07:49 AM
This has potential, I like the use of the bottom E. You've written it in the key of F Major and the E's 5th (B Natural) lends a sense of chromaticism which although tense is nonetheless quite good. I've changed the key to C major for the second riff as the melody I've written sounds more solid with the chromatic note change between the two keys (B Flat to B Natural).

With the first riff, it repeats every three bars. However, the second repeats every four bars. I suggest you shorten the second riff to three bars to maintain consistency with the lead guitar's part. I've written an example and it sounds a lot stronger as a whole. I don't particularly like the melody I've written but it's just an example.

Following through, with the melody, increase the pace! If you have a slow riff chugging away, you want a counter-opposing fast melody to correctly increase tension between the parts.

canadaboy700
07-11-2009, 08:00 AM
I redid the whole lead part.

Better or worse?

hellbound_jonny
07-11-2009, 08:04 AM
It's almost exactly the same. You need innovation not renovation.

canadaboy700
07-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks, but I was attempting to make it similiar, just not as ( can't find the word). Sorry I should of said.

I need help with a guitar fill to move onto the next riff. I liked how in your demonstration how smooth it was.

Outlaw Torn
07-11-2009, 11:44 AM
ok its not much but i've done something to give you an idea of what to do... i have edited the fill and added a fast riff afterwards.. hope it helps:)

oh btw in the fill before the fast riff the 14's are meant to be 13's... i cba to change it now

hellbound_jonny
07-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Ok, here's my second attempt. I'm pretty rubbish at composing metal songs so forgive the hackneyed melody.

To make a transition smooth from one riff to another smooth, I often add a key change. In Classical Music a riff is called an Ostinato by the way.
With a whole key change, you can either make the track sound more sinister as I can show in Section 1 - Section 2. This was accomplished by the sharpening of the flattened B.
In Section 2-3, a powerful release is acquired with the sharpening of the F and C, changing the key to D Major.

Of course, all I could be doing here is giving labels to stuff that might just come naturally. What I'm saying is there are no concrete rules, however, this doesn't mean you cannot follow them. What I described above is just my way of doing things.

I hope it helped without being too complicated.

jimmyled
07-11-2009, 04:54 PM
My idea:
Oh and BTW thhe Canadaboy one was pretty good.

canadaboy700
07-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for the help I'll work on it some more and post an update soon.

andrew12398
07-12-2009, 12:33 AM
EDIT: Try removing the last bar (on the edited) then taking it up a step in key, for example, about 1:26 in Enter Sandman.

canadaboy700
07-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Samples appreciated. *Edit* Damn agghhghghg raaaaagggggeeee.

Cant get the damn melody working at all.
I've got what I want it to sound like in my head, but i cant get it down to gp.

New.

canadaboy700
07-12-2009, 03:20 AM
Added some drums, and fast crunchy riff.

Is the fast riff to long?