The Only "Selling Out" Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Only "Selling Out" Thread

punx 4 life
07-12-2009, 10:57 PM
"If there's a formula to selling out, I think every band in the world would be doing itThe fact that you write good songs and you sell too many of them, if everybody in the world knew how to do that they'd do it. It's not something we chose to do."- Mike Dirnt

as for me, selling out is a definite yea! :peace:

blue_strat
07-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Define it first.

punx 4 life
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
"The fact was we got to a point that we were so big that tons of people were showing up at punk-rock clubs, and some clubs were even getting shut down because too many were showing up. We had to make a decision: either break up or remove ourselves from that element. And I'll be damned if I was going to flip ****ing burgers. I do what I do best. Selling out is compromising your musical intention and I don't even know how to do that."

blue_strat
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
You still haven't defined it.

charliezard!
07-12-2009, 11:00 PM
You have to be a troll...

werty22
07-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I can't think of anything sarcastic to say.

NaivexLi
07-12-2009, 11:04 PM
You are too worried about selling out and the image and conotation that goes with it.

People need to get over it and stop using that phrase.

For all I care the only band to ever "sell out" was KISS, considering they wanted to be the biggest thing in the world.

but in essence, was that really a bad thing? No, considering it's what they wanted.

charliezard!
07-12-2009, 11:07 PM
^ that post makes little sense.

This thread is dumb, and Mike Dirnt is a dumbass if he's saying that "selling-out" means writing good music...

punx 4 life
07-12-2009, 11:09 PM
This thread is dumb, and Mike Dirnt is a dumbass if he's saying that "selling-out" means writing good music...

he's saying that it's better to write songs that have appeal to more people and make money than to be bums and poor like the sex pistols are today.

charliezard!
07-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Ummm... The Sex Pistols did sell out, if you're implying they didn't. Their entire deal was to be "punk" to get attention and make money.

I can't believe I'm acknowledging this thread... :(

DempseyPunk
07-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Ummm... The Sex Pistols did sell out, if you're implying they didn't. Their entire deal was to be "punk" to get attention and make money.

I can't believe I'm acknowledging this thread... :(
^this

but selling out is lame. Id rather suck ass then give up what i believe in.
If your saying that selling out is having a good fan base and playing bigger shows, then yeah, id "sell out". But thats not what selling out is to me. Selling out to me is compromising what you want to do for what other want you to do. Its playing for money, not for fun and the enjoyment of the fans. I play cos i love to play and love to see people having a good time and enjoying my music. Id rather have 1 die hard fan compared to millions who love music i either dont like or didnt write.

sargasm
07-13-2009, 12:22 AM
having no "selling out" threads has suited us well so far.