New Song (GP4&5, C4C!!!)

PDA

View Full Version : New Song (GP4&5, C4C!!!)

soundgarden1986
07-13-2009, 06:28 PM
This song came to be at a jam when a couple friends were over. All I had was a main riff but I liked it a lot so I kept thinking of stuff but nothing worked. After sitting down and really trying to come up with other music for it, it hit me and it all came together. It's one of my simple songs but it was so hard to write at first because of the tuning. It just didn't click with me at first. So here it is, I hope you guys enjoy.

Julz127
07-14-2009, 07:17 AM
Heh, When I saw the Mjk quote in your sig, I knew this was going to be good, Tool fans always write good stuff. :)

Yeah I like the different tuning, The intro reminded me of soon by My bloody valentine. The main thing I didn't like was that there seemed to be way to much distortion, maybe that's the effect you were looking for, Idk, I'm a fan of holding notes for ages and letting them blend into each other, but you have to be a bit careful I think.

After listening A few times, trying to find stuff to crit, lol, Really my main problem is with the drums, I would mix them into the background a little. The only other thing I don't really like is the chorus, the 4th bar (in the chorus) works good but i think you should try something else for the rest.

Other than that everything else is great, the solo could do with a bit of work, I felt that It never really got a chance to get going it starts several times (bars 63 and 73) but it always falls down after that.

c4c? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1162558

justtryme
07-14-2009, 10:52 AM
that song wasnt that great. it not a song that you could start a band with and get a bunch of fans from. i mean if you're just going to write music thats going to take you nowhere then really whats the point? alot of songs on this site suck pretty badly and i dont understand why people think they are good when there is nothing about any of the songs that grab my attention. it just sounds plain and boring

icronic
07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
that song wasnt that great. it not a song that you could start a band with and get a bunch of fans from. i mean if you're just going to write music thats going to take you nowhere then really whats the point? alot of songs on this site suck pretty badly and i dont understand why people think they are good when there is nothing about any of the songs that grab my attention. it just sounds plain and boring

Dude, 9/10 posts from you reek of douche. Either offer something constructive or get out, and you know if you're going to sling mud you damn well better make sure that your **** doesn't stink. I've heard the stuff you've posted on myspace, and I'll tell you this: It's no shining beacon of light in the dark.

soundgarden1986:

Not the best I've heard from you, but not bad either..

I liked the intro, the tuning really gives the whole thing a different sound. Bars 12 and 16 were off sounding though. You've got a chord with a Root and a 2nd in there., and it just sounds off to me.

Verse didn't do a whole lot for me, the repeated notes and everything else just kind of sounded clunky to me.

Chorus was great.

Bridge A was pretty good too, the time change kind of felt out of place, but I did like the riffs.

Solo was great for basically being limited to two strings. Good note choice and phrasing, although you didn't leave much breathing room between notes.

Bridge B was really cool as well. I liked just about everything about it.

Bridge C good as well. The only negative here is the progression kept trying to imply movement that never really happens, and instead you seem to just hold it in place.

Outro: Despite the fact that you're using a pretty common lick, it's still an awesome way to end a song. I'm not sure if I liked that you brought back the intro or not, but it did work.

It's pretty easy to see why this was a tough song to write. Certain tunings just don't lend themselves to easy song writing, and this is definitely one of them.

icronic
07-14-2009, 01:15 PM
well obviously this attitude im sensing from you is from you having a hard time hearing the truth and having jealousy towards my music. if you cant take the heat from me then you better just give up music. im just trying to tell you that song isnt something people would want to hear and stick with the band and follow them. its nothing special or creative, just boring and really after hearing your song and seeing how you think its good, your criticism on my songs really dont matter because your judgement is impared. your mind isnt good enough to hear what good music sounds like.

What on earth are you talking about? This isn't my song, and you've never even listened to or criticized anything of mine. So the heat from you doesn't exist. But please, by all means, go listen to my songs, tell me how much my music sucks. I can't wait to hear your reasoning.

The point is this. If you can't offer anything useful or helpful beyond: This song sucks, give up on music, then you've no place in these forums. The term constructive criticism applies. One writes a song, and others suggest how to improve said song. Thus people grow as song writers and musicians. All your posts do is undermine that.

soundgarden1986
07-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys!

Julz: The distortion thing came from me trying to find a decent sound in the program. During a performance I had the intention of turning the distortion down a bit so it doesn't sound like a jumbled mess.

Icronic: I had a difficult time thinking of the sections because I didn't really know what else to do. The outro was something me and my friends started messing around with at that jam thing and I liked it, realized I was in this tuning, so I used it. Eh, I know it's not my best, but I enjoy the final product.

Other guy: I don't know if you have noticed, but your songs are very, very boring. I listened after reading your comments since you certianly "seem" to know all there is to music. I was far from impressed with your work. Some of the users here write some damn good stuff (Icronic, who you wrongly attacked, for one).

justtryme
07-14-2009, 01:20 PM
im not trying to be an a hole to people im just trying to say not alot of the music on ug is good at all. there is nothing i like about any of it cause it just sounds boring and plain and if your someone who wants to make it in the music buisness then you need to come up with something better because really, what im saying isnt as harsh as what they are going to say. and yes i didnt listen to your stuff with your seinfeld sounding bass. i just didnt leave a comment on it cause i didnt feel like it. to be honest i wouldnt want to hear people say that my song is good when its not. i would rather hear the honest truth so i know if imy song doesnt suck or not which none of mine do. they are amazing and have potential in an industry, Kid

icronic
07-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Icronic: I had a difficult time thinking of the sections because I didn't really know what else to do. The outro was something me and my friends started messing around with at that jam thing and I liked it, realized I was in this tuning, so I used it. Eh, I know it's not my best, but I enjoy the final product.

Yeah I king of figured that, that kind of tuning doesn't lead itself to easy song writing. Your 5ths are all far away, making powerchords pretty much out of the question, and 3rds aren't all that much closer.

My only ideas for something like this would be some kind of funky guitar groove that sticks to octaves, some kind of F# modal thing, or some heavy slide bar playing.

soundgarden1986
07-14-2009, 01:38 PM
I'll see what I can do with that. The only reason I was in this tuning was because we were playing Kool Thing by Sonic Youth and I was too lazy to switch guitars haha

justtryme
07-14-2009, 02:14 PM
well if youre thinking that i have bad judement in music then why the hell would i think that rkays irish march song is so amazing

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1147372

hes one of the few people (counting me) that know how to make music that people would wanna hear

jimmyled
07-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I liked the intro. The part from 9-16 was annoying because of the lead. Verse was really nice. Pre-chorus was about the same as the intro. Chorus was a little annoying at the start, you should only use the 6th and 5th strings there IMO. Bridge A was really unnecessary, and should be left out IMO, and cut straight to the Solo. The Solo was unique, and pretty good. Bridge B was really good, but the Cymbals at the start kind of ruined it. Same goes for C (except for the Cymbals of course). Outro was really nice.
C4C (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161997)