Why is metalcore looked so down on

PDA

View Full Version : Why is metalcore looked so down on

melodicguitar7
07-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I've been wondering this for a long time why is metalcore looked down apon by the metal community. It's constant that they say metalcore bands are hardcore bands. Yes it's metal combined with hardcore. But how does that say it's not metal and just hardcore. :confused:

melodicguitar7
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
It really anoys me when i hear people getting all high and mighty about it saying thats not metal.

Starkie
07-13-2009, 08:25 PM
i wasnt aware of the issue. So how about that Home Run Derby?

DespisedIcon
07-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Douple post, check it.

To answer your question I have one word: Elitists.

Elitists are less present in the hardcore scene.

melodicguitar7
07-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Douple post, check it.

To answer your question I have one word: Elitists.

Elitists are less present in the hardcore scene.
Ya i know i double posted but care to elaborate of what you mean by Elitists?

willingvictim
07-13-2009, 08:37 PM
metal heads are generally a lot more close minded about music even than most elitist hardcore kids, because atleast hardcore kids give respect to metal since a lot of hardcore is influenced by it.

metalcore is looked down a lot in the hardcore scene too though. atleast the cheesey stuff

12shinn21
07-13-2009, 08:38 PM
It's not looked down upon, they just don't like it when someone calls some metalcore band metal. Much the same as when people here don't like them being called hardcore.

Zelphien
07-13-2009, 08:41 PM
im not a fan of metalcore, but people who respect metal,rock, or whatever they are into, they need to respect all genres of metal. Though I don't get why we need all these genres. I mean metalcore and some death metal sound the same to me. Some of the genres are pointless.

"metal heads" usually like retarded overrated bands and defend them like they are defending their own mothers. I would love to punch every single one of those kids who have master of puppets shirts on almost everyday of their life.

willingvictim
07-13-2009, 08:49 PM
"metal heads" usually like retarded overrated bands and defend them like they are defending their own mothers. I would love to punch every single one of those kids who have master of puppets shirts on almost everyday of their life.

thats what im sayin. even though i was just listening to master of puppets.. so good.

melodicguitar7
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Well for one thing i listen to all types of metal, from heavy metal,thrash,melodic death, death metal etc . I don't get why people that act like they are metal purists say crap like August burns red thats just some S**tty hardcore band. Which for one i love listening to August burns red, Then at the same time i love bands like arch enemy, to pantera. And for one I consider myself a metalhead. To many people act like it's a style , it's a mind set not some fad or click. Metalhead is a way of life of just enjoying heavy music. Not trying to preach but i mean seriously people acting like only their standards of metal is metal are ignorent pompous fools who don't deserve to call themselfs a metal head.

MustangMan311
07-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Each genre has the same amount of ****ty bands. No worries.

technicolour
07-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Besides most of them haven't heard Converge. They only hear about the generic ones that are thrown around by annoying fans and scene kids alike.

brandon369852
07-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Because metalcore isn't metal and metal is God and you can only have one God so praise Jesus.

Or that's how I view it.

melodicguitar7
07-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Still tho I enjoy alot of metalcore bands out there and yet it's so heavyly bashed on it really just anoys the crap out of me. Well I guess beggars can't be choosers. There will be just more ignorent people wanting to start stuff over the genre.

7stringusr
07-13-2009, 09:13 PM
why are we hating other genres of metal. hate rap and pop. i freakin love metalcore

willingvictim
07-13-2009, 09:13 PM
In the end, no matter who makes fun of you, even if it's me, it doesn't really matter.. just like what you like. There will always be some asshole out there saying the **** you listen to sucks.

melodicguitar7
07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
why are we hating other genres of metal. hate rap and pop. i freakin love metalcore
Amen brother

willingvictim
07-13-2009, 09:17 PM
nothin wrong with hip hop

Kurasuke
07-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Metalcore is looked down upon because, from the outside looking in, most bands seem more concerned with the aesthetic and that the genre seems much more formulaic. I'm not big on it, but I'm not really a metalhead. When I do listen to metal, it is the slower, heavier stuff. Not the harder faster stuff. More coming from the punk side, actually.
I have heard Converge, and I didn't like it. The biggest problem that I have with the genre is the style of "screaming." Sounds cheesy to me.
Metalheads will say that it's not metal, and hardcore fans will say that it's not hardcore. They're both just being assholes.

melodicguitar7
07-13-2009, 09:18 PM
In the end, no matter who makes fun of you, even if it's me, it doesn't really matter.. just like what you like. There will always be some asshole out there saying the **** you listen to sucks.
I will have to agree with that.

Veil Of Osiris
07-13-2009, 09:57 PM
The fact that it is popular has a lot to do with it. If you had asked a metalhead from 1999 what he thought about Metalcore I bet he wouldn't of had a problem with it.

xRenegadEx
07-13-2009, 10:00 PM
Wanna do my new dance?

JxD
07-13-2009, 10:05 PM
I love metalcore, but I listen to real metalcore, not this breakdown laden, fashion-centered, Monster Energy Drink sponsored garbage that's so popular with kids under the age of 18 nowadays.

MustangMan311
07-13-2009, 10:26 PM

There is probably more grade-A song writing in rap and pop than in metalcore.

GodofCheesecake
07-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Every genre has its bands that suck, but I think metalcore is singled out so much because the bands that suck tend to have the most obnoxious fan base of any other genre. Besides rap. But that doesn't really come into play as much in this forum.

Seriously, though, fans- and even the members themselves- of bands like Attack Attack, Bring Me The Horizon, and The Devil Wears Prada, as a general rule, tend to make questionable fashion decisions, pose in order to look cooler, hardcore dance, be ignorant about music, and just be annoying in general. I'm not saying that everyone who listens to one of those bands is like that, but seriously, the vast majority of kids at one of their shows would just be obnoxious as ****. And this draws negative attention toward the bands and therefore the genre as a whole.

IcePh0enix
07-13-2009, 10:31 PM
There's actually a lot wrong with hip hop, as well as metalcore. Regardless, there are many good artists/bands in both genres.

I think most metalheads just hate having crappy nu-metalcore bands like TDWP and Attack Attack grouped in with the bands like. They basically are misconstrued by the current MTV version of metalcore, without even being aware that there are a lot of awesome metalcore bands that they would probably like.

Kurasuke
07-13-2009, 11:32 PM
MTV actually plays metalcore?
ALSO: Just because you don't like a band, it doesn't mean that it isn't in the genre you like. No True Scotsman anybody?

handbanana
07-13-2009, 11:46 PM
At this point I wouldn't even say people really look down on metalcore that much, it's just that fact that people have taken metalcore and turned it into a lot of serious failure that just ruined it for the rest of the genre. There is like 20% of metalcore that is some awesome ****, that even hardcore kids listen to or atleast enjoyed/respected at some point. It's just a lot of douchebags with girl jeans and gay scarfs that makes people stereotype the rest of the genre and directly associate one with another.

And as far as hip-hop goes, mainstream hip-hop took a huge dive when stuff like lil wayne became radio friendly.

andyq777
07-14-2009, 12:51 AM

rap rules

edit: wu tang> most modern metalcore

Z Standard
07-14-2009, 01:09 AM
MTV actually plays metalcore?

Headbanger's Ball does, I've seen Converge and Misery Signals on there.

Cianyx
07-14-2009, 05:31 AM
****ty bands are hated anyway whether it's considered metal or metalcore. You don't see the metal forum trying to segregate Cradle of Filth for being utter crap. Metalcore, unfortunately is plagued with crap but it does have some really good bands

BGSM
07-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Headbanger's Ball does, I've seen Converge and Misery Signals on there.

Those are both bands that I deem 'good' metalcore bands...

+}-136-{+
07-14-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm totally digging the sweeping generalizations and blatant ignorance in this thread. Totally dude.

intentionsthere
07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
This whole hating metacore thing is just because people on both ends are being stupid. The purists metal heads and the 12 year old kids who discovered avenged sevenfold yesterday so they decided to stop listening to Lil Wayne and claim they're different. I think this whole thing would stop if people wouldn't get so defensive about everything.

When it comes down to it, just listen to what you like.

pmeg568c
07-14-2009, 02:00 PM
It's not looked down upon, they just don't like it when someone calls some metalcore band metal. Much the same as when people here don't like them being called hardcore.

this.

konfyouzd
07-14-2009, 02:07 PM
feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i've found that most genres ending in "core" tend to have riffs that are typical [generic] to the genre indicated by the first half of the name and the songs are punctuated by overdone, recycled breakdowns.

this very well may not be true of all of them. but all the ones i get introduced to are like that.

also, a lot of them seem to do the scream sometimes, sing sometimes thing. i have no problem with this. opeth does it and i love it. but i feel like a lot of the clean singing in <insert genre>core bands tends to sound a little forced and/or cheesy. that's just a personal preference thing, though.

Kurasuke
07-14-2009, 08:06 PM
feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, but i've found that most genres ending in "core" tend to have riffs that are typical [generic] to the genre indicated by the first half of the name and the songs are punctuated by overdone, recycled breakdowns.
I completely overlooked the core association. Most cores, especially the ones that take themselves really seriously, aren't generally seen for the quality and innovation. The core genres especially suffer from the "95% of everything is awful" syndrome because most bands sound the same.
It's also like when I talk to a friend of mine about music- she listens to a lot of really bad bands, but they're all local and extremely obscure. She goes to ****ty basement shows for ****ty indie bands. Metalcore is like that- it's cool to do. "Do you listen to so and so?" "No, I've never heard of them" "Yeah, I know".

JagStang5246
07-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Every Genre has those bands - The ones who copy or rip off heavily, of what the orginators of the genre did first. Look at Attack Attack. That song Stick Stickly has three easily discernable cliches in it: The "boooom" at the beginning of a breakdown or "brutal" section of the song, the random "Whoo!" and then the multiple breakdowns. That band is just awful. Metal-core itself is so hard to define, since they've thrown so many bands intot eh category. All these genre naems are starting to become confusing. Just listen to the music without branding it. If you like it, listen to it. Not a big deal.

JxD
07-14-2009, 10:54 PM
I think there's a large discrepancy here. Metalcore is hardcore with a metallic edge, not metal with breakdowns.

MustangMan311
07-14-2009, 11:01 PM
I think there's a large discrepancy here. Metalcore is hardcore with a metallic edge, not metal with breakdowns.
I thought the first was metallic hardcore, and the latter was metalcore.

willingvictim
07-14-2009, 11:37 PM

I think it's just come down to the point now where there's metallic hardcore and metalcore

Bignose
07-14-2009, 11:50 PM
metal heads are generally a lot more close minded about music

Is it bad that the first thing I thought was "death to all but metal"? :haha:

willingvictim
07-14-2009, 11:53 PM
hey man.. atleast metal is awesome

Bignose
07-14-2009, 11:58 PM
hey man.. atleast metal is awesome

Ahh it's this cheezy joke song that's just got released, check it out on youtube.

Don't really mind metal but yeah. Love my hardcore.

willingvictim
07-15-2009, 12:04 AM
lol oh

this video rules hahahahah

JxD
07-15-2009, 03:47 AM
I think it's just come down to the point now where there's metallic hardcore and metalcore
I don't want to concede that though. I just want metalcore to include wicked hardcore bands that have listened to too much Slayer and Neurosis. It could be such a legit genre if it wasn't being corrupted.

+}-136-{+
07-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I don't want to concede that though. I just want metalcore to include wicked hardcore bands that have listened to too much Slayer and Neurosis. It could be such a legit genre if it wasn't being corrupted.

"What's in a name?"

jonnowev
07-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Because some people are jerks and elitists, and refuse to listen to it or be associated with it because of various aspects of the sound of metalcore/hardcore aswell as the scene that has built up around it.

konfyouzd
07-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Every Genre has those bands - The ones who copy or rip off heavily, of what the orginators of the genre did first.

yup. and if you're introduced to one of those bands first that's usually what would cause a person to be turned off by the genre itself. because some person tells you "oh you're trying to get into ___ genre? check these guys out, they're good." and the band turns out to be another one of those copy cat bands that actually blows and causes you to dislike the genre. i wouldn't say that i completely dislike or look down on metalcore or any of the 'core bands for that matter. but i haven't heard anything that i like a whole lot from any of them yet.

Alexxx.
07-16-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm pretty confused here haha.

So on one side we have metallica, slayer and all the others.

Then on the other hand we have stuff like the acacia strain and parkway drive?

So what about all these bands which are like technical death metal like necrophagist because they have fast riffs and screaming? and if some people say screaming is hardcore then how does that freakin work?!?!

willingvictim
07-16-2009, 10:50 AM
screaming is not hardcore. there are hardcore bands out there that have clean vocals

MustangMan311
07-16-2009, 10:53 AM
screaming is not hardcore. there are hardcore bands out there that have clean vocals
****ing thank you. "HAHA LOLZ I LIKE ERRYTHING BUT SCREAMO I DUNT LIEK SCREMIN"

handbanana
07-16-2009, 11:18 AM
i like how we have a new thread like this discussing the same thing every month

RentACar
07-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Metalcore is more accessible, and less underground.

handbanana
07-16-2009, 11:36 AM

and that makes it better because?

technicolour
07-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I'd say Slayer, Maiden, and Metallica are more accessible.

MustangMan311
07-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I don't think he said it was better, I think it was just a general statement. Of course it's more accessible- You've got guys rocking fashion trends and appealing to teenage girls, which isn't some you're going to see in death metal.

handbanana
07-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Metalcore is more accessible cause it has sellout bands like Underoath, Atreyu, and A7X

konfyouzd
07-16-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty confused here haha.

So on one side we have metallica, slayer and all the others.

Then on the other hand we have stuff like the acacia strain and parkway drive?

So what about all these bands which are like technical death metal like necrophagist because they have fast riffs and screaming? and if some people say screaming is hardcore then how does that freakin work?!?!

hardly that cut and dry but some people will make it seem that way. ;)

jonnowev
07-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Metalcore is more accessible cause it has sellout bands like Underoath, Atreyu, and A7X

PAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAA wut?!

anacrucix
07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I love metalcore, but I listen to real metalcore, not this breakdown laden, fashion-centered, Monster Energy Drink sponsored garbage that's so popular with kids under the age of 18 nowadays.

whoa, what's wrong with being sponsored by energy drinks? i need energy to shred!

anacrucix
07-16-2009, 02:36 PM

i'd say maiden and tallica are more accessible than say... eden maine

MRavioli
07-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Because some people are jerks and elitists, and refuse to listen to it or be associated with it because of various aspects of the sound of metalcore/hardcore aswell as the scene that has built up around it.

Wouldn't you refuse to listen to a genre or band whose aspects of sound you didn't like?

Metalcore is only looked down upon by people who don't like metalcore, but instead of just not listening to it, they take an aggressive negative stance towards it and denigrate the people who listen to it and the music itself. Music is subjective, listen to it or don't listen to it, those are the only two choices you have.

handbanana
07-16-2009, 02:40 PM
whoa, what's wrong with being sponsored by energy drinks? i need energy to shred!

only cool if they're being given out for free at shows, otherwise i won't spend the ridiculous prices they sell them for

jonnowev
07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Wouldn't you refuse to listen to a genre or band whose aspects of sound you didn't like?

Metalcore is only looked down upon by people who don't like metalcore, but instead of just not listening to it, they take an aggressive negative stance towards it and denigrate the people who listen to it and the music itself. Music is subjective, listen to it or don't listen to it, those are the only two choices you have.

Yes, but the problem is that too many people are happy to slate it even though they don't listen to it.

birdman267
07-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I've been wondering this for a long time why is metalcore looked down apon by the metal community. It's constant that they say metalcore bands are hardcore bands. Yes it's metal combined with hardcore. But how does that say it's not metal and just hardcore. :confused:

Attack Attack!
Brokencyde
The Devil Wears Prada
Bring Me The Horizon
Alesana

Cause kids worship bands like that,
and think its the heaviest best music EVARRR
and that's NOT good metalcore or even real hardcore music.

konfyouzd
07-16-2009, 03:16 PM

not trying to challenge you or anything, i just don't quite understand what you said. when you say hardcore with a metallic edge, can you explain what that means? i always thought that hardcore was a subset of metal. so when you say metallic edge...?

also, what makes hardcore? i was under the impression that that's where the breakdowns came from and had just assumed that's why all the generic (not that all of them sound generic... i'm talking about the generic ones specifically) bands with core tacked on to the end used the breakdown so heavily.

anacrucix
07-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Attack Attack!
Brokencyde
The Devil Wears Prada
Bring Me The Horizon
Alesana

Cause kids worship bands like that,
and think its the heaviest best music EVARRR
and that's NOT good metalcore or even real hardcore music.

people worship **** metal bands too :D

birdman267
07-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Lol,

True.

JxD
07-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Yes, but the problem is that too many people are happy to slate it even though they don't listen to it.
If a genre of music doesn't appeal to someone, why should they have to listen to it in order to criticize it? I've heard enough generic nu-metalcore bands to last a lifetime, the last thing I want to do is listen to more assholes jumping on a dying trend so that I might more legitimately denounce some watered down, mass-marketed "heavy metal" band pandering to kids half my age.

anacrucix
07-16-2009, 03:22 PM

The way I see it metalcore is anything that draws influence from both metal and hardcore- whether its mostly metal with a bit of hardcore influence or visa-versa.

JxD
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
not trying to challenge you or anything, i just don't quite understand what you said. when you say hardcore with a metallic edge, can you explain what that means? i always thought that hardcore was a subset of metal. so when you say metallic edge...?

also, what makes hardcore? i was under the impression that that's where the breakdowns came from and had just assumed that's why all the generic (not that all of them sound generic... i'm talking about the generic ones specifically) bands with core tacked on to the end used the breakdown so heavily.
Hardcore comes from Punk Rock, hence hardcore punk, a name I consider interchangeable with hardcore. I'm going to steal a quote from Wikipedia because I find it generally accurate:

A subgenre of punk rock that originated in North America and the United Kingdom in the late 1970s. The new sound was generally thicker, heavier, and faster than earlier punk rock.

When I say that a hardcore band has "a metallic edge" I'm talking about hardcore bands that incorporated some metal aspects, namely thrash or sludge, into their music (check out some early Integrity or Unbroken, it's easier to hear what I'm talking about). A band using open e breakdowns does not automatically lump them into the genre that is hardcore, it merely makes them a band using open e breakdowns.

konfyouzd
07-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Hardcore comes from Punk Rock, hence hardcore punk, a name I consider interchangeable with hardcore. I'm going to steal a quote from Wikipedia because I find it generally accurate:

A subgenre of punk rock that originated in North America and the United Kingdom in the late 1970s. The new sound was generally thicker, heavier, and faster than earlier punk rock.

When I say that a hardcore band has "a metallic edge" I'm talking about hardcore bands that incorporated some metal aspects, namely thrash or sludge, into their music (check out some early Integrity or Unbroken, it's easier to hear what I'm talking about). A band using open e breakdowns does not automatically lump them into the genre that is hardcore, it merely makes them a band using open e breakdowns.

ok cool. it can be misleading with all the bull**** that's out now. i mean literally every band i get introduced to who is supposed categorized as ___core ends up just being lame generic riffs punctuated by open E breakdowns so i figured this would be a good place to ask.

thanks.

so... that having been said... what are some GOOD hardcore bands so i can stop listening to all this trash everyone and their mother keeps trying to cram down my throat?

and one more question... what is God Forbid? i really liked their first album and then after that i just didn't really have a taste for what they were doing anymore. seemed like they were moving toward the breakdown thing...

Rargh
07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
The fact that it is popular has a lot to do with it. If you had asked a metalhead from 1999 what he thought about Metalcore I bet he wouldn't of had a problem with it.

Indeed. Would Biohazard be classed as Metalcore if Urban Discipline was released today?

willingvictim
07-16-2009, 03:46 PM
i dont consider biohazard a metalcore band at all.. same with integrity and all those bands

old metalcore to me is like old converge, disembodied, cave in, botch, poison the well, snapcase

willingvictim
07-16-2009, 03:48 PM
then i guess as i lay dying came out and metalcore became a different thing. oh well. i think my band would have been considered metalcore back in 2001 but for todays sake i'll just stick with calling it metallic hardcore, or hardcore, or whatever i want

handbanana
07-16-2009, 04:52 PM
revolving door

RentACar
07-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I never said, or gave the impression to think I said it was better.
I'm saying that a lot of "metal fans" look down upon metalcore seeing as that's the in-thing right now.

TheBabySnatcher
07-16-2009, 05:29 PM

lol

Hogfishwater
07-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Well its Metal mixed with Hardcore. "Metal Heads" hate any type of heavy music that is not Metal.

Plus its gotten mainstream focus on it, and "metal heads" hate anything Mainstream. Even Mainstream Metal.

Also, Most Metalcore has turned into a trend, a trend that sucks.

Alexxx.
07-17-2009, 07:26 AM
I thought hardcore was stuff like madball, terror and sick of it all.

And metalcoree bands sounds absolutely nothing like that?

Im presuming deathcore is just death metal and hardcore.

So basically *deep breath*

In my opinion it's just all ****ing metal but some bands have breakdowns and others haven't. Just because it has a breakdown doesnt mean it is hardcore.

+}-136-{+
07-17-2009, 08:53 AM
Im presuming deathcore is just death metal and hardcore

Watered down death metal with breakdowns, actually.

Well its Metal mixed with Hardcore. "Metal Heads" hate any type of heavy music that is not Metal.

Plus its gotten mainstream focus on it, and "metal heads" hate anything Mainstream. Even Mainstream Metal.

Your idiocy is astounding.

I'm saying that a lot of "metal fans" look down upon metalcore seeing as that's the in-thing right now.

As is yours.

technicolour
07-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Well I'm sure there are some "metalheads" who hate it just because it's popular, and trendy, but these are the same "metalheads" who only listen to Pantera, Metallica, and Iron maiden

konfyouzd
07-17-2009, 10:24 AM

As is yours.

watered down? if death metal were beer deathcore is the O'Douls of death metal...

doive
07-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Musical genres are for the most part artificial social constructs which give a easy sense of social inclusion within a select group. At a point people decide that "music" is too broad a name for all the different types of music around and that saying you like music doesn't give you a sense of being included in a community because almost everyone likes "music". so an artificial construct is created to sepearate this global community into smaller more exclusive ones. e.g. Rock and Classical. Again these are broad groups with little sense of inclusion and exclusivity so more subdivisions are created. This cycle continues down to the scale at which people begin to feel included within a community they fell is exclusive. Since the level at which people feel included is different for everyone some people are happy to say they "just like rock" while others feel the need to specify more "i like early 80's hard rock with long percussion breaks"

Once these artificial groupings of musical types are created then the group looks to distinguish itself from other groups to promote exclusivity. This can include things from the very obvious such as including bands which everyone in the community likes to more subtle things such as styles of dancing etc. Since groups put a significant amount of effort into become exclusive entities they can feel threatened when other people attempt to say things which are not included in their group are. So saying a metalcore band is metal becomes and invasion of the group identity, which is then strongly resisted by the members of the exclusive group.

The nature of those who seek exclusive groups often makes them well respected within that exclusive group and so hold a lot of sway of opinions within the group, but also feel more threatened by the inclusion of other groups within theirs as they fear the loss of their identity. This causes them to be very hostile towards the perceived "invasion" of other groups. Thus people who call consider themselves "metal" perceive "metalcore" as an invasion upon their group identity so strongly resist the notion that they have common roots.

The same behaviour is observed on a much larger scale with international, national, and regional divides. There is nothing genetically different between the french and english- they're still people, but they have created group identites for themselves (a cup of tea for the english and frogs for the french to take national stereotypes) and fear their group identity would be compromised by the other nation if they co-operated too much.

willingvictim
07-17-2009, 10:45 AM
this thread should be closed before my head explodes

handbanana
07-17-2009, 12:00 PM
this thread should be closed before my head explodes

i think we've gotten way past there already

+}-136-{+
07-17-2009, 12:03 PM
watered down? if death metal were beer deathcore is the O'Douls of death metal...

Mind explaining the analogy to me? I'm not terribly familiar with beer brands.

@ doive

Yeah sure, maybe musical genres are really "artificial social constructs" to " give a easy sense of social inclusion within a select group". Maybe some time ago people really decided that "'music' is too broad a name for all the different types of music around" and it "doesn't give you a sense of being included in a community because almost everyone likes 'music'. "And maybe music genres really were "created for the group to look to distinguish itself from other groups to promote exclusivity". Maybe that's all true.

Or maybe we classify music into seperate genres for the sake of conveniency.

Maybe we do it because we want to communicate our preferences in music more accurately.

Maybe we create genres because we want to have an idea of what defines that certain type of music.

And maybe your "theory" is just a load of pseudo-intellectual horsesh*t. Sure seems like it to me.

willingvictim
07-17-2009, 12:06 PM
O'Douls is non alcoholic beer

+}-136-{+
07-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Ahh. I see now. Thanks. Good analogy.

handbanana
07-17-2009, 12:40 PM
lol @ this thread

MustangMan311
07-17-2009, 12:44 PM
And maybe your "theory" is just a load of pseudo-intellectual horsesh*t. Sure seems like it to me.
****ing winner.

Hcmanu
07-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Deathcore watered down death metal ? Its seriously depend.

konfyouzd
07-17-2009, 01:43 PM

@ doive

Yeah sure, maybe musical genres are really "artificial social constructs" to " give a easy sense of social inclusion within a select group". Maybe some time ago people really decided that "'music' is too broad a name for all the different types of music around" and it "doesn't give you a sense of being included in a community because almost everyone likes 'music'. "And maybe music genres really were "created for the group to look to distinguish itself from other groups to promote exclusivity". Maybe that's all true.

Maybe we do it because we want to communicate our preferences in music more accurately.

Maybe we create genres because we want to have an idea of what defines that certain type of music.

O'Douls is non-alcoholic beer :haha:

and i agree with your points on the need for classification. i hate when people try to act like they're above classification. i don't feel that it's ALWAYS necessary to break things into groups for all reasons (sometimes it's just pointless and will do more harm than anything) but in the case of music, it seems helpful even though i think some people DO tend to get carried away and over-classify (elitists) to make it seem like what they listen to is so different from and more special than anything else out there.

handbanana
07-17-2009, 01:44 PM
some deathcore is actually more technical than death metal

O'Douls is non-alcoholic beer :haha:

that was already said 5 posts up cheech

boffen
07-17-2009, 01:52 PM

I'd say most Deathcore is more technical than most death metal, but this is mostly due to the sheer amount of people playing death metal v people playing deathcore.

konfyouzd
07-17-2009, 01:56 PM

that was already said 5 posts up cheech

sorry i don't read every single post. i saw his post where he asked he question so i answered. i think the thread will survive this. shut it.

that... and i've never heard a single deathcore band that sounded more technical than any death metal band i've heard. maybe we listen to different deathcore/death metal bands...

Hcmanu
07-17-2009, 02:05 PM
that... and i've never heard a single deathcore band that sounded more technical than any death metal ..

Then you dont know much about deathcore :p:

Its just some metalheads who are being assholes. They are metalheads give'em a chance.

konfyouzd
07-17-2009, 02:09 PM
Then you dont know much about deathcore :p:

Its just some metalheads who are being assholes. They are metalheads give'em a chance.

i'm definitely down to listen to more deathcore. i haven't completely shunned the genre, ya know? it's just that i'm tired of getting introduced to the ****ty bands.

i mean obviously even within genres that i'll openly admit to enjoying there are bands that i don't really like at all.

handbanana
07-17-2009, 02:16 PM
i'm definitely down to listen to more deathcore. i haven't completely shunned the genre, ya know? it's just that i'm tired of getting introduced to the ****ty bands.
i mean obviously even within genres that i'll openly admit to enjoying there are bands that i don't really like at all.

what did you expect from a genre called deathcore

konfyouzd
07-17-2009, 02:17 PM

hehe... now you're trying to perpetuate how i already feel about the genre... dammit all i don't know what to think now.

Hcmanu
07-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Dont be such an ignorant fool.

RentACar
07-17-2009, 03:58 PM

As is yours.
It's true, many "metal-heads" will tell you that if the music isn't "metal" enough, that it sucks.
Also, same goes for music that's mainstream. Pretty much most of the bands who make it big time are shunned by the "metal community"

Your idiocy is astounding. Just because you might like metal and metalcore, doesn't mean most metal fans (at least those around here) dislike music because its 1) too un-metal or 2) too popular.

PUnkMetaL00
07-17-2009, 05:27 PM
I think metalcore is looked down on because metal heads think that these bands are punk/hardcore bands with metal in it, or not "100%" metal. But I think metal and metalcore is great, beacuz i like metal, punk, and hardcore. Plus, the media are calling bands like Lamb of God and All that remains metalcore when they don't have any "core" in them.......

Dregen
07-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Elitists, mainly. But many people (like me) find alot of it is very repetitive and boring. It's still better than most of the **** the elitists call better.

doive
07-17-2009, 08:47 PM

@ doive

oh sure - it is partially for conveinece sake (i note you agree people create genres rather than genres being created independantly of people) - it is a lot easier to say "i like metal" then " l enjoy music which is often centred around a b5 progression and a riff based melody as opposed to chordal progression with distorted guitars featuring almost exclusively in the final mixdown". However my point still stands that people who are "metal elitists" and hate "metalcore music" predominiantly do this due to a sheep effect and want to avoid being labelled as metalcore by those who are associated with the hardcore genre. Mainly because they fear social exclusion by embracing this genre. you can argue it all you want but there are numerous social psychology studies which back up the main thrust of my point, which is that people attempt to be included within a group and thus exclude others from a group in order to establish a stronger group identity.

EDIT:and i agree with your points on the need for classification. i hate when people try to act like they're above classification. i don't feel that it's ALWAYS necessary to break things into groups for all reasons (sometimes it's just pointless and will do more harm than anything) but in the case of music, it seems helpful even though i think some people DO tend to get carried away and over-classify (elitists) to make it seem like what they listen to is so different from and more special than anything else out there.
This is the exact point i was making - people DO classify to the point where elitism becomes NECESSARY. This is not something which i support, but i can't deny it happens and the point at which it reaches elitism is the point where divides occur, where people define their narrow musical ideas as "more special than anything out there"

GodofCheesecake
07-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Most deathcore is more technical than death metal.

I dispute this, although the main word I have an issue with is "most." There are like five deathcore bands I can think of off the top of my head that are even technical, and even then I wouldn't go as far as to say more so than the majority of death metal.

DaysoftheBlue
07-17-2009, 10:30 PM
http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper650/stills/gtrbx84a.jpg

HEY GUIZ WUTS GOIN ON IN DIS THREAD

And as for Deathcore it is very hit and miss. There's decent stuff and then there's...Bring me the Horzion.

Xamasi
07-17-2009, 10:38 PM
I dont have a problem with the deathcore genre, and I think bands like Despised Icon and All Shall Perish are taking things to uncharted terrritory, really, imo. But anyways, metalcore on the other hand is not to bad to listen to...

+}-136-{+
07-17-2009, 10:54 PM
It's true, many "metal-heads" will tell you that if the music isn't "metal" enough, that it sucks.
Also, same goes for music that's mainstream. Pretty much most of the bands who make it big time are shunned by the "metal community"

Your idiocy is astounding. Just because you might like metal and metalcore, doesn't mean most metal fans (at least those around here) dislike music because its 1) too un-metal or 2) too popular.

Seeing as I go to Metal Archives for my metal needs and don't spend much time on the metal board in UG, then you are probably right. The metal population in UG probably does have a considerably larger amount of idiots.

Bah. F*ck them and the stigma that gets attached to us none-mentally-handicapped, three-digit IQ metalheads.

However my point still stands that people who are "metal elitists" and hate "metalcore music" predominiantly do this due to a sheep effect and want to avoid being labelled as metalcore by those who are associated with the hardcore genre. Mainly because they fear social exclusion by embracing this genre. you can argue it all you want but there are numerous social psychology studies which back up the main thrust of my point, which is that people attempt to be included within a group and thus exclude others from a group in order to establish a stronger group identity.

I agree with your final point, but then again, no sh*t people do that. Most respectable metalheads I know just shun metalcore because they think it is commercialized, substanceless garbage.

If we are speaking of the retards who just happen to be listening to metal ("metal heads", as you guys put it) and the music fan equivalent of closet homosexuals, your "metal elitists", I couldn't agree more.

handbanana
07-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Dont be such an ignorant fool.

relax, was just a joke

doive
07-17-2009, 11:18 PM
I agree with your final point, but then again, no sh*t people do that. Most respectable metalheads I know just shun metalcore because they think it is commercialized, substanceless garbage.

because their group identity forces them into think that other genres are "commercialized, substanceless garbage" it is evidence in all branches of music - not just metal - metalcore. look at people who like rock but not metal "it's all diminshed chords and screaming" and rock vs classical "it's just a I IV V progression with no siginficant musical pedigree" genres are artificially constructed to provide support for and group, in the process they gain a secondary purpose which is hating those outside the group.

RentACar
07-17-2009, 11:33 PM
relax, was just a joke
Again with the jokes...

+}-136-{+
07-18-2009, 12:54 AM
because their group identity forces them into think that other genres are "commercialized, substanceless garbage" it is evidence in all branches of music - not just metal - metalcore. look at people who like rock but not metal "it's all diminshed chords and screaming" and rock vs classical "it's just a I IV V progression with no siginficant musical pedigree" genres are artificially constructed to provide support for and group, in the process they gain a secondary purpose which is hating those outside the group.

Hold it there Professor, I said nothing about metalheads thinking all other genres as "commercialized, substanceless garbage". I said metalcore specifically.

And would you quit pulling these blanket statements and generalizations out of your ass? They're about as solid as support for an argument as jello is as a foundation for a house. Christ.

If you're talking about the musical retards who shun everything that is outside their preferred genre, your point has already been made. You can go spout your theories and stroke your E-peen elsewhere.

Bye-bye.

willingvictim
07-18-2009, 12:58 AM
MOSH

12shinn21
07-18-2009, 04:14 AM
Doive, I know you think you sound intelligent but it's just not working hey.

handbanana
07-18-2009, 11:19 AM
Again with the jokes...

again with making yourself look like more of an idiot

willingvictim
07-18-2009, 11:21 AM
again with MOSH

GodofCheesecake
07-18-2009, 12:19 PM
^I think for this thread, HARDCORE DANCE would be more effective.

brandon369852
07-18-2009, 12:56 PM
^:haha:

somebellguy
07-18-2009, 01:26 PM

this very well may not be true of all of them. but all the ones i get introduced to are like that.

also, a lot of them seem to do the scream sometimes, sing sometimes thing. i have no problem with this. opeth does it and i love it. but i feel like a lot of the clean singing in <insert genre>core bands tends to sound a little forced and/or cheesy. that's just a personal preference thing, though.

haha i second that. couldnt put it better myself. i still enjoy all of it though.

boffen
07-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Don't really care if people don't like the music I listen to. I lol an equal amount each time the metal guys go to last.fm artist pages/pictures and declare their hatred though.

Valderama
07-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Every genre has its bands that suck, but I think metalcore is singled out so much because the bands that suck tend to have the most obnoxious fan base of any other genre. Besides rap. But that doesn't really come into play as much in this forum.

Seriously, though, fans- and even the members themselves- of bands like Attack Attack, Bring Me The Horizon, and The Devil Wears Prada, as a general rule, tend to make questionable fashion decisions, pose in order to look cooler, hardcore dance, be ignorant about music, and just be annoying in general. I'm not saying that everyone who listens to one of those bands is like that, but seriously, the vast majority of kids at one of their shows would just be obnoxious as ****. And this draws negative attention toward the bands and therefore the genre as a whole.
Questionable by whose standards? Don't let fashion, PERSONAL PREFERENCE OF THE BAND, who the fanbase the consists of or what people enjoy doing at shows cloud your judgement of the music itself.

GodofCheesecake
07-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Questionable by whose standards? Don't let fashion, PERSONAL PREFERENCE OF THE BAND, who the fanbase the consists of or what people enjoy doing at shows cloud your judgement of the music itself.

I understand the merit of your statement and the idea that the music should stand for itself; however I've noticed a trend between the way a band dresses and whether or not I like them that I'm positive would have statistical significance if I actually cared enough to construct a confidence interval.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're getting at. No, I wasn't saying that I dislike certain bands based solely on the way they dress or the way their fans act, I was simply stating that the way they dress and the way their fans act significantly affect the way people view the metalcore genre as a whole. Obviously that's connected to what you said about not judging the music based on anything BUT the music, however what people should do and what people do are often different things entirely.

Bignose
07-19-2009, 12:45 AM
^I think for this thread, HARDCORE DANCE would be more effective.

Ahhh christ it's like there's bugs on me and i can't shake them off properly Ahhhhh! gotta shake aaahhh! AAAAAAAAAAH!

also, I am in love with your location.

Sigil One
07-19-2009, 12:48 AM
its all metal to me. just love metal and hate hiphop and pop people. its simple as that.

handbanana
07-19-2009, 01:45 AM

for once im with cheesecake on this one, he worded that very well and has a very strong point.

MustangMan311
07-19-2009, 01:51 AM
its all metal to me. just love metal and hate hiphop and pop people. its simple as that.
Pitiful.

A7X Acolyte
07-19-2009, 02:16 AM
Who cares what people say. They're all closeminded idiots anyway.

TheBabySnatcher
07-19-2009, 08:07 AM

Hmm?

Ok.

+}-136-{+
07-19-2009, 09:46 AM

:rolleyes:

psyo
07-19-2009, 10:18 AM
the scene, the image that is associated with it
it is a trend, it lacks a degree of substance and appeals mainly to teenagers
unoriginality in the music, the 7-0-7-0 riff has been overused so much
breakdowns, in a majority of songs regardless of how it fits musically.
lack of solos, a major part of metal music

metalheads see this as a bad thing, generally they appreciate more complex and technical music. Metal is more 'evil', the lyrics are often more in depth (see occultism, politics, fantasy, society) as well as fun (violence, gore, humour). It isn't true that metalheads only listen to metal, again with more generalizations however, metalheads tend to enjoy music that isnt trendy, fashionable etc - mostly because they are looking for complex music or music with a greater meaning (not always..)

Metalheads see a lot of tech-death as pointless wankery, because of its overuse of the diminished scale - thats just a comparison to metalcore vs a 'true' metal genre. And to all the guys saying Iron Maiden and Metallica are more accessable, of course they are, that music is getting on 30 years old and was at the foundations of metal. It's gotten a lot heavier since then and its not really a valid argument. Core bands that get respect from metalheads are bands like BTBAM because they are original + highly talented. So yeah, lots of generalisations here and subjectivity, its late so sorry for typing this kinda badly.

+}-136-{+
07-19-2009, 10:55 AM
the scene, the image that is associated with it
it is a trend, it lacks a degree of substance and appeals mainly to teenagers
unoriginality in the music, the 7-0-7-0 riff has been overused so much
breakdowns, in a majority of songs regardless of how it fits musically.
lack of solos, a major part of metal music

metalheads see this as a bad thing, generally they appreciate more complex and technical music. Metal is more 'evil', the lyrics are often more in depth (see occultism, politics, fantasy, society) as well as fun (violence, gore, humour). It isn't true that metalheads only listen to metal, again with more generalizations however, metalheads tend to enjoy music that isnt trendy, fashionable etc - mostly because they are looking for complex music or music with a greater meaning (not always..)

Metalheads see a lot of tech-death as pointless wankery, because of its overuse of the diminished scale - thats just a comparison to metalcore vs a 'true' metal genre. And to all the guys saying Iron Maiden and Metallica are more accessable, of course they are, that music is getting on 30 years old and was at the foundations of metal. It's gotten a lot heavier since then and its not really a valid argument. Core bands that get respect from metalheads are bands like BTBAM because they are original + highly talented. So yeah, lots of generalisations here and subjectivity, its late so sorry for typing this kinda badly.

Finally, a post with some semblance of intelligence to it. Thank you.

Of course, generalizations are abound here considering the nature of the subject we are attempting to discuss, but at least they aren't as migraine-inducing as some other generalizations that were made.

Valderama
07-19-2009, 11:03 AM
I understand the merit of your statement and the idea that the music should stand for itself; however I've noticed a trend between the way a band dresses and whether or not I like them that I'm positive would have statistical significance if I actually cared enough to construct a confidence interval.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're getting at. No, I wasn't saying that I dislike certain bands based solely on the way they dress or the way their fans act, I was simply stating that the way they dress and the way their fans act significantly affect the way people view the metalcore genre as a whole. Obviously that's connected to what you said about not judging the music based on anything BUT the music, however what people should do and what people do are often different things entirely.
That's a given.
:)

08L1V10N
07-19-2009, 11:04 AM
It isn't really inspiring. But that doesn't make it bad music

handbanana
07-19-2009, 01:17 PM
It isn't really inspiring. But that doesn't make it bad music

what does inspiration have to do with anything?

+}-136-{+
07-19-2009, 01:34 PM
what does inspiration have to do with anything?

Generally speaking, if you feel inspired from listening to a certain band, then chances are, that band is good.

If a band is "inspired", then that would mean they bring new or interesting ideas to the table. On the other hand, if the band are "uninspired", as in their music is generic and derivative, then it is safe to assume they are a poor band.

Not to sound like a dick, but I'd assume this would be rather obvious.

PUnkMetaL00
07-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Generally speaking, if you feel inspired from listening to a certain band, then chances are, that band is good.

If a band is "inspired", then that would mean they bring new or interesting ideas to the table. On the other hand, if the band are "uninspired", as in their music is generic and derivative, then it is safe to assume they are a poor band.

dude try speaking in english, not uslaviganianese- i dont understand what ur trying to say.........

08L1V10N
07-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Well look at this metalcore tab: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/caliban/certainty_corpses_bleed_cold_ver2_tab.htm

not really inspiring

handbanana
07-19-2009, 02:09 PM

well i get that, im just saying how does inspiration have relevance towards the points he was trying to make. yes inspiration is a big part of good bands, but i don't see how it supported the points he was trying to make.

likeomgtehtuck!
07-19-2009, 02:12 PM
dude try speaking in english, not uslaviganianese- i dont understand what ur trying to say.........

what he said definitely made sense.

+}-136-{+
07-20-2009, 12:18 AM

I think I articulated my point rather well. Did you flunk elementary school English, do you have room-temperature IQ, are visually impaired, or all of the above?

Surely you must be one or all of the above to have not understood my post.

well i get that, im just saying how does inspiration have relevance towards the points he was trying to make. yes inspiration is a big part of good bands, but i don't see how it supported the points he was trying to make.

What I think he meant to say with metalcore bands being "not inspiring" is that they are "uninspired", the second term I gave. Generic, derivative, and unoriginal ideas. Check out that tab he posted up I suppose?

Element8923
07-20-2009, 01:22 AM
I think I articulated my point rather well. Did you flunk elementary school English, do you have room-temperature IQ, are visually impaired, or all of the above?

Surely you must be one or all of the above to have not understood my post.

What I think he meant to say with metalcore bands being "not inspiring" is that they are "uninspired", the second term I gave. Generic, derivative, and unoriginal ideas. Check out that tab he posted up I suppose?

Dude you are amazing and articulate your point perfectly. I agree with you all the way even though I am a huge fan of metalcore. Kinda contradicting...but o well.

Sun King
07-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Because it all sounds the same, nothing original or special or attention catching. It all sucks.

Lamb of God is not metalcore and I love LoG.

Seriously, why would someone choose to listen to -core bands when you have metal? It's just overall a better decision.

Magero
07-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Because it all sounds the same, nothing original or special or attention catching. It all sucks.

Seriously, why would someone choose to listen to -core bands when you have metal? It's just overall a better decision.
I wish I was a mod so I could re-ban you for being an idiot.

Z Standard
07-20-2009, 02:40 AM

I wouldn't go that far, but his statement made me very uneasy.

Bignose
07-20-2009, 02:41 AM

+1

Cianyx
07-20-2009, 04:16 AM

You like LOG so you can't really say much about anything

+}-136-{+
07-20-2009, 04:49 AM
You like LOG so you can't really say much about anything

I enjoy Lamb of God. Am I not able to say much about anything either?

Cianyx
07-20-2009, 05:00 AM
I personally couldn't care less but I just found his post extremely ironic

+}-136-{+
07-20-2009, 05:13 AM
That, and retarded.

That being said, ad hominem arguments are also retarded.

anacrucix
07-20-2009, 05:14 AM

OH YEAH YOU ARE RIGHT! one sec, just throwing away my CDs

cheers

Cianyx
07-20-2009, 05:21 AM
That, and retarded.

That being said, ad hominem arguments are also retarded.

Pfft, he started it

+}-136-{+
07-20-2009, 05:34 AM
It's not a diss towards you, just me voicing my distaste. Doesn't change the fact he's wrong and he's an idiot.

:peace:

Cianyx
07-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Good man. Glad to see we can agree on that

GodofCheesecake
07-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Because it all sounds the same, nothing original or special or attention catching. | It all sucks.

Here we see the distinct line between an opinion and just being blatantly wrong.

Oh good, and some extreme ignorance thrown in as well.

Good post.

Gibson_SG_uzr55
07-20-2009, 09:50 PM
you can't worry about what everyone else likes
I consider metalcore to be just a modern version of thrash/groove metal personally
but I love it, and if someone else doesnt, then I dont really care.

We'realltoBlame
07-21-2009, 12:22 AM

So basically what everyone is saying is why are you even in the hardcore forum if you don't like it?

RentACar
07-21-2009, 12:26 AM
Seriously, why would someone choose to go to the choose to go to the Hardcore forum when you have the metal forum? It's just overall a better decision.

I'd like you to answer this question.

MustangMan311
07-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Because it all sounds the same, nothing original or special or attention catching.
Agreed, but I also think that Effigy of the Forgotten is a really, really boring album, and that most death metal runs together quite well. I can usually tell when a metalcore album goes to the next song...

las7
07-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Not enough bands like Burst, Baroness, Between the Buried and Me

Now those 3 bands are ****ing ace; interestingly all three of the above mentioned bands arent looked down upon in the Metal forum - because they are doing unique stuff which takes a high level of musicanship which most metalcore bands don't show.

Valderama
07-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Settle down guys. It's the internet, no-ones e-ego is getting a boost here.

Let's just establish one thing; we are better than the Metal Forum.

willingvictim
07-21-2009, 10:41 AM
i wouldnt consider baroness metalcore. awesome band though

bagpipemetal
07-21-2009, 10:50 AM
There are two Types of Music Fans I hate: Metalheads and Classical music heads. Their both the same in their snobbish elitism of their style of music and it's really annoying. Metalcore is a style of Heavy Metal music, yes it's different from Classic Metal and Thrash Metal but it's still Metal, It's the same thing with Nu Metal and Rap Metal, Purists hate it.

willingvictim
07-21-2009, 10:54 AM
rap metal is the most pure of all genres

boffen
07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Not enough bands like Burst, Baroness, Between the Buried and Me

Now those 3 bands are ****ing ace; interestingly all three of the above mentioned bands arent looked down upon in the Metal forum - because they are doing unique stuff which takes a high level of musicanship which most metalcore bands don't show.

That argument is flawed when the Metallica fans etc call it out, though...
When I think about it, I more often encounter people listening to metal which takes a "low level of musicianship" that do their little speeches on my "music for pussies" than I encounter people that listen to advanced metal/music that hates -core music.

las7
07-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Look what I'm saying is, you make something which isnt like anything else in a genre and show brilliant musicanship then even if the Metal elite don't like it - they cant really put it down.

If you make something which is watered down and sounds like alot of other bands. Something which showcases little musical/songwritting ability and tallant then the metal elite have their excuse, to look down on it - even thought plenty of metal bands do exactly the same sh*t but noone calls them out on it.

Anyhow for me there are two types of bands - ones that I can listen to and enjoy and the rest.

Anyhow I had an argument with a friend of mine, he kept telling me he couldnt really enjoy Baroness because of the vocals. Yet same friend is a huge fan of Mastodon despite constantly bitching about their vocals.

Hcmanu
07-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I love how the classic metalhead say ' HARDCORE OR ANITHING RELATED WITH IS SO GENERIC'

What the **** ? Metal is as much generic as hardcore if not more.

Bignose
07-21-2009, 07:16 PM
rap metal is the most pure of all genres

I've heard Vanilla Ice is dabbling into that field nowdays. How funny would that **** be?

handbanana
07-21-2009, 07:41 PM
i had heard vanilla ice was in a nu-metal band for a while, dunno whats he's doin now

Z Standard
07-21-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTUAgJjVsbE

He made a remix album. :(

We'realltoBlame
07-22-2009, 12:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4L4CPfQY8
Apparently this is related to vanilla ice. XD

+}-136-{+
07-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Again with the stupid overgeneralizations and puerile indignance. Stop b*tching and grow up.

lespaul1216
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
because the death-metal headbangers that can't listen to anything but Cannibal Corpse and such like to thing we metalcore-ers ripped them off by mixing metal with hardcore punk to make amazing music

handbanana
07-22-2009, 01:25 PM
^This coming from a dude who listens who all nu-metalcore bands
which are exactly the bands that put a bad rep on real metalcore