T&C Post-Hardcore Comp #2

PDA

View Full Version : T&C Post-Hardcore Comp #2

Pages : [1] 2

ninja.kitty
07-15-2009, 02:02 PM
it's been kinda dead in here lately, so i think it's about time we had another comp in here! since the post-hardcore one had amazing results, i think we should do it again.

now, we are going to need at least 4 judges, and many participants. even if you dont usually write post-hardcore, you can use this opportunity to come out of your shell a little bit.

im sorry to say, if you are a participant, you cannot judge. it has to be one or the other, because we had too many problems last time.

if you are a judge, dont be a fool and take forever to judge. if you signed up to be a judge, you are responsible to judge ASAP

participants, the material you enter has to be written specifically for this comp. you cant enter something you have already written

deadline for signing up will be *deadline has been reached*

deadline for submission will be *deadline has been reached*

* = work has been submitted

Participants:
Thomasoman*
Carl6661*
Rumpy*
chromaticvision*
lordofthefood1*
icronic*
huevos*
Of_Wolves*
|_JR_|*
Joe_92*
JesseBlanchard*
ninja.kitty*

Redxrock (out)
Its_Rock77 (out)
ctb (out)
Tom9016 (out)
Friendly Stoat (out)
rkay (out)

Judges:
aggiefan33
Aaron!!
Uber Man
mtgold83
frankibo

now remember guys, be creative, but try to stay in the confines of post-hardcore. It has a broad amount of sound, so it shouldnt be too hard. Ill list some bands for reference

A Skylit Drive
Alexisonfire
Attack Attack!
As Cities Burn
At The Drive-In
Bless The Fall
Dance Gavin Dance
Emarosa
Emery
Escape The Fate
Fall of Troy
Saosin
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Thrice
Underoath

when you have your song ready, DO NOT post in this thread, post in the submissions thread
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20771104#post20771104

when all the songs are submitted, judges DO NOT review the songs in this thread, post in the judging thread
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20822935#post20822935

Have fun guys :D

JesseBlanchard
07-15-2009, 02:06 PM
YES.

I sign as participant.

ninja.kitty
07-15-2009, 02:15 PM
excellent :D

Redxrock
07-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Count me in. participant.

icronic
07-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Totally out of my comfort zone here as I've no idea what it's supposed to sound like, but what the hell... I'm in.

Edit: If anyone is feeling generous, feel free to PM me with maybe 4 or 5 songs that would define the genre best :)

andrew12398
07-15-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm in. Post-hardcore ftw.

aggiefan33
07-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I'll judge.

Its_Rock77
07-15-2009, 04:59 PM
well, I'd say this is kinda my sort of thing :D

good way to end these many months of writer's block.

ctb
07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I shall participate. :cool:

Thomasoman
07-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Sign me up! Last time was fun, it was great seeing what people came up with.

Tom9106
07-16-2009, 01:49 AM
I'm in, i'll participate.

Joe_92
07-16-2009, 05:26 PM
I'll have a go- i need to start writing again anyway.

chromaticvision
07-16-2009, 07:20 PM
i'm in as well.

Of_Wolves
07-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Havent been very involved in the T&C forum recently, so yeah ... Ill participate.
Well... that is, if you dont think youve got enough people already :(

ctb
07-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Can we start creating now? :)

Carl6661
07-16-2009, 10:02 PM
It'll give me something to do with my spare time I suppose, count me in? Please. :)

ninja.kitty
07-17-2009, 02:02 AM
Can we start creating now? :)go for it man :D you get the advantage for signing up early

edit: guys, we need judges. if anyone is willing, please dont hesitate to sign up. we need AT LEAST 4 for this to work out good

frankibo
07-17-2009, 06:27 AM
i'll participate :) sounds like fun

ctb
07-17-2009, 09:11 AM
go for it man :D you get the advantage for signing up early:five:

Friendly Stoat
07-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I'll do it :)

Aaron!!
07-17-2009, 02:29 PM
What do I have to do to judge?
I think im up for that :)

lordofthefood1
07-17-2009, 02:35 PM
I'll participate if we're accepting more. Shucks on writing a new song though, I've got quite the post-hardcore arsenal (for a period of time I became obsessed with emulating the fall of troy, but with a lot of atdr injected interludes).

foodit: what format is this in? GP?

Uber Man
07-17-2009, 02:45 PM
I'll judge or participate, whatever you need more of. lemme know.

ninja.kitty
07-17-2009, 04:28 PM
What do I have to do to judge?
I think im up for that :)
ill let you know exactly how to judge whe, the time comes :) its not hard, just takes time
I'll participate if we're accepting more. Shucks on writing a new song though, I've got quite the post-hardcore arsenal (for a period of time I became obsessed with emulating the fall of troy, but with a lot of atdr injected interludes).

foodit: what format is this in? GP?
guitar pro would be best. it'd be wise to include the MIDI as well
I'll judge or participate, whatever you need more of. lemme know.
im gonna put you down as a judge, because we need more of those.

thanks everyone :)

Uber Man
07-17-2009, 04:49 PM
ok :D

ninja.kitty
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
ok :D
thanks man :)

icronic
07-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I may end up switching over to judging if there aren't enough. I'm discovering I'm fairly terrible at writing this kind of music, and I've spent far too much time writing something that sounds (to me) pretty horrible. I'll give it a few more days maybe.

mtgold83
07-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I would not mind judging many members have seen my post hardcore work so if that is enough to vouche me as a proper judge of PHC.
But one thing could I judge and enter just not judge on my own piece? Its ok if not.

Uber Man
07-19-2009, 02:05 AM
so... how do you want us judging these things? like, are there categories or is it just an overall 1-10 scale??

ninja.kitty
07-19-2009, 07:09 PM
I may end up switching over to judging if there aren't enough. I'm discovering I'm fairly terrible at writing this kind of music, and I've spent far too much time writing something that sounds (to me) pretty horrible. I'll give it a few more days maybe.
thats ok dude. just let me know if you want to for sure, then ill switch you over
I would not mind judging many members have seen my post hardcore work so if that is enough to vouche me as a proper judge of PHC.
But one thing could I judge and enter just not judge on my own piece? Its ok if not.ill put you down as a judge. the thing about entering your own piece, is that you have to deduct your opinion as a judge from your score. like, there will only be 3 of the 4 judges scores, so you'll just get a major handicap. its better if you just judge. if you want people to just view your song, you can post it in open t&c. im sure that people will be more interested in PH since there is a comp going on.

sorry.. :( thanks for being a judge though :)

so... how do you want us judging these things? like, are there categories or is it just an overall 1-10 scale??
it'll be like both combined. ill go into more detail later, but there will be several categories. like, there will be one for creativity, sound, etc, so you judge each song by its category, then combine the score and divide by the number of categories there are.

if that makes sense.

ill be making a separate thread for the judges only, so we can see all the scores without having to search through this thread. ill include the details for judging, categories you're judging, and everything else you'll need along with it

Uber Man
07-19-2009, 07:16 PM
yay, i hope this will be great. all the past competitions i looked at had some pretty amazing songs. :D

mtgold83
07-19-2009, 08:15 PM
ok cool dude. To the contestants, I have heard just about every famous band songs in the PHC genre that you could name and i am looking all over the UG tabs to make sure you can not steal someones work. We want you guys to go crazy and be creative this is a really fun event and it would be pointless to post someone compositions as your own. I'm only saying this because I've seen it happen in previous events.
being original is a big part of this genre. So even if you must go smoke tons of marijuana and be original the way The Mars Volta do it go for it. :).

icronic
07-19-2009, 08:16 PM
thats ok dude. just let me know if you want to for sure, then ill switch you over

Disregard :) I have found my mojo. I can't say that my end result will be 100% post hardcore, but it'll definitely be in the ballpark. It's also given me a chance to have some real fun with chords. Although, can anyone think of a good dirty RSE sound that can handle chords clearly?

mtgold83
07-19-2009, 08:34 PM
use something vintage like or a screamer effect.

andrew12398
07-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Seeing as though I'll be out of state without my laptop from about the 23rd through the 10th, I'll have to drop out.

ninja.kitty
07-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Disregard :) I have found my mojo. I can't say that my end result will be 100% post hardcore, but it'll definitely be in the ballpark. It's also given me a chance to have some real fun with chords. Although, can anyone think of a good dirty RSE sound that can handle chords clearly?
excellent man :D post-hardcore is about taking hardcore and just pushing it in a new, artistic direction, so as long as you have the roots of it, you should be just fine :)

Seeing as though I'll be out of state without my laptop from about the 23rd through the 10th, I'll have to drop out.
aw man dude, thats a bummer ;9 there will be a next time for sure

frankibo
07-20-2009, 09:17 AM
ive decided id rather judge then participate if thats cool :)

Thomasoman
07-20-2009, 11:49 AM
Good luck and have fun everyone! Just finished mine last night. Cheers. :peace:

mtgold83
07-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Suggestion to those who finish early. If you finish early go back the next day or 2 days after and listen to it to make sure its exactly what you wanted. Be perfectionists :).

ninja.kitty
07-20-2009, 01:59 PM
ive decided id rather judge then participate if thats cool :)
no problem dude :)

by the way judges, dont judge until all the participants have entered their songs.

frankibo
07-20-2009, 02:48 PM
don't forget to post the detailed judging criteria :)

rkay
07-20-2009, 02:59 PM
sign me up for participating!

ctb
07-20-2009, 05:52 PM
I have a good intro, but after that, my ideas come out Post-Rock or Mathcore. :mad:

mtgold83
07-20-2009, 06:09 PM
If you need help PM me. I can try to sway you back on course of the genre.

ctb
07-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks, but no thanks. :) I should be alright. :p:

mtgold83
07-21-2009, 11:41 PM
So hows everyone's projects going hmm? :).

ninja.kitty
07-21-2009, 11:55 PM
So hows everyone's projects going hmm? :).i have a intro, pre, reg, post chorus, and a verse. progress :P

icronic
07-22-2009, 12:49 AM
So hows everyone's projects going hmm? :).

Well I'm almost done my basic song, all that's left to write is an outro and a kind of interlude version of my verse.

It's becoming a bit of a nightmare though. I can't quite get the mixing right (It works fine with real instruments, but GP sounds very cluttered) and trying to tab out my interlude type verse has just been horrible. Too many little dynamic changes and inflections, not to mention kind of a free time style that's making it really hard to tab out right. I think I might have to drastically simplify the whole section.

Still I'm feeling a lot more confident that I'll come out with something passably decent than I was when I started, and it's been a ton of fun experimenting with a style that I've never really listened to before.

mtgold83
07-22-2009, 12:53 AM
yea :P with the PHC genre panning helps things feel less clusterd. Never pan the drums more than 1 or -1 unless you are mimicing ABRs technique they use in the recording of marianas trench. alot of PHC bands do that too. Guitars should not be -8 or +8 but a range from 3 to 6 / -3 to -6 is good bass should not be panned much except if you want a slide effect to be panned thats a neat little trick bands do. They pan it on the left side during a drum fill or something. just some small tips to make your stuff sound less clustered. Hopefully by telling people that I wont get into trouble :)

Its_Rock77
07-22-2009, 01:02 AM
I have nothing if it makes anyone more confident ;)

mtgold83
07-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Lol cmon how can you be an Anthony Green fan and not pull some seriously good PHC out your ass :P.

JesseBlanchard
07-22-2009, 01:15 AM
Just letting everyone know mines going horrible. Cant find anything good haha. Ive started two. Ones a Fall of Troy/At the drive In type song. Ones a Dance Gavin Dance/As Cities Burn type song. Which one should I continue?

Thomasoman
07-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Well obviously I havn't heard the songs, so I couldnt give you a real answer but seeing as Dance Gavin Dance and As Cites Burn are two of my favorite all time PHC bands, I'd be inclined to say that one.

mtgold83
07-22-2009, 02:01 AM
Dance Gavin Dance is very technical and probably a good way to go if you want creativity.
You can Never go wrong with ATDI styled stuff. Just dont forget to distinguish it as your own. and again alwasy feel free to PM for help if you are stuck. I've gotten many PMs already and will always accept more.

aggiefan33
07-22-2009, 02:20 AM
half of the bands in the OP aren't even remotely post-hardcore, just sayin'.

i really hope to see more ATDI kinda stuff than anything.

Thomasoman
07-22-2009, 02:25 AM
I sort of agree. I mean, if it were up to me I'd take out A Skylit Drive, Blessthefall, Escape the Fate, Scary Kids, and possibly underoath but eh, its not my call. Circa Survive should definitely be on that list though, no question. Maybe Lower Definition too.

ninja.kitty
07-22-2009, 02:41 AM
I sort of agree. I mean, if it were up to me I'd take out A Skylit Drive, Blessthefall, Escape the Fate, Scary Kids, and possibly underoath but eh, its not my call. Circa Survive should definitely be on that list though, no question. Maybe Lower Definition too.
i tried giving a broad scope, like bands with some post hardcore influences, you know? id put circa up, but they are more indie, and people would go into that aspect instead of post hardcore.

mtgold83
07-22-2009, 02:44 AM
those bands are 3rd wave post hardcore. there has been 3 majorly notable waves in the last 20 years. 1st wave was like before ATDI was even out. ATDI was end of first wave and ended mid second wave. Second Wave is like bands that sitll sound ATDI but have more of a hardcore sense to them. 3rd wave is DanceGavin danec Skylit Drive etc. Really like High rhythms and clean guitar as lead.

Thomasoman
07-22-2009, 02:51 AM
i tried giving a broad scope, like bands with some post hardcore influences, you know? id put circa up, but they are more indie, and people would go into that aspect instead of post hardcore.

Fair enough. But from a musical standpoint, I think circa's arrangements definitely summarize modern post hardcore. Just the vocals are less punchy and aggressive, I suppose.

ninja.kitty
07-22-2009, 03:09 AM
i mostly just dont care, hahaha :P

mtgold83
07-22-2009, 03:28 AM
If the judges agree your roots of the song are post hardcore and you also made it your own you should not have to worry. thats that. We will judge you based on the instrumentals. If you wish to make a vocal melody go ahead add lyrics too and its not uncommon u see gunshot effect used for scream. This will either add to the post hardcore element or take away. the song as a whole is all we care about. Don't worry about if the bands listed are the post hardcore you know. Fact is all bands in that list ARE indeed PHC. and there are thousands that are not in that list that are also PHC. It is trivial. Just focus on winning :).

JesseBlanchard
07-22-2009, 04:20 AM
Well obviously I havn't heard the songs, so I couldnt give you a real answer but seeing as Dance Gavin Dance and As Cites Burn are two of my favorite all time PHC bands, I'd be inclined to say that one.

Mmm same. Sucks so bad that ACB broke up. Their last album wasnt the best anyway. Both of my songs were written in the same key so I just chose the best parts of each. Worked out fine. Im trying to push myself to write something better than yours haha.

ninja.kitty
07-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Mmm same. Sucks so bad that ACB broke up. Their last album wasnt the best anyway. Both of my songs were written in the same key so I just chose the best parts of each. Worked out fine. Im trying to push myself to write something better than yours haha.they broke up!? NO THE JERKS! i didnt get to see them live :(

i guess they dont play that many songs off the first album anyway, without their old singer.

lordofthefood1
07-22-2009, 02:04 PM
ugh, I feel as if I have to rewrite my song, one of my picking patterns / melodies is like exactly the same as one of the posted songs.. hah. time to get crack'n i s'pose.

|_JR_|
07-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Now, today is the last day to sign up right? I checked some of the bands in the first post and figured, what the hell, might as well try to put out something. It will be hard for me not to go all proggy about it though xD (I'm already thinking of a 7/8 pattern)

I'm in if you guys let me :)

Rumpy
07-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I wantz in. Can I has in? Plz?

Plz?

mtgold83
07-22-2009, 04:52 PM
Yes rumpy. Start working now. You made the deadline to join. Ninja Kitty will put your name when you log on. Go for it. :)

Its_Rock77
07-22-2009, 07:33 PM
i really hope to see more ATDI kinda stuff than anything.

realistically,you will not.

and guys, honestly no one will call you out on whether or not your song is post hardcore unless it's like obviously something completely different. this genre has pretty broad limits.

and as far as waves, I'm pretty sure first wave was like fugazi, not ATDI. ATDI was pretty second wavish.

mtgold83
07-22-2009, 07:59 PM
yep rock is right. Atdi Closed the first wave and opened the second. Post hardcore is one of the most argued about genres. Honestly ATDI HATE being labeled PHC but we do. Its so broad.

ninja.kitty
07-23-2009, 01:23 AM
k guys, sign-ups for this comp are officially over.

sorry for those who didnt make it, but i have to stick to the rules. :(

anyway, keep up the good work on your songs fellas. :)

huevos
07-23-2009, 01:47 AM
k guys, sign-ups for this comp are officially over.

sorry for those who didnt make it, but i have to stick to the rules. :(

anyway, keep up the good work on your songs fellas. :)

Damn it!
By 20 some minutes.
You must let me in. I do dabble in post-hardcore; idk where I'm going with this.
But my compelling argument has swayed you, no doubt.

mtgold83
07-23-2009, 01:51 AM
sorry he can't let you in ):. There will be a next competition I promise. If Ninja Doesnt create one I will. I like how this is turning out.

aggiefan33
07-23-2009, 01:57 AM
i vote we let the man in, i enjoy what he's written from what i've seen.

ninja.kitty
07-23-2009, 02:43 AM
ok, we'll do an 11:59 pm is the deadline kinda thing. but 12 am, its done.

Its_Rock77
07-23-2009, 03:01 AM
let people in. what's the point of a deadline? the only thing that's really necessary is a number of participant limit.

if you sign up late, you are at a disadvantage. I don't see a good reason in stopping anyone from signing up late :shrug:

Its_Rock77
07-23-2009, 03:08 AM
and I've got some pretty catchy awesome competition so far :/

ninja.kitty
07-23-2009, 03:17 AM
let people in. what's the point of a deadline? the only thing that's really necessary is a number of participant limit.

if you sign up late, you are at a disadvantage. I don't see a good reason in stopping anyone from signing up late :shrug:
it keeps things neat and judges will know exactly what they are judging, instead of being like

"wtf? who is this guy?"

"oh yeah, he signed up last night"

and they produce quality material, instead of pulling something out of their crack and being like "yeah, i made this in three hours. hope its good."

JesseBlanchard
07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
let huevos in. hes a great posthardcore writer. he needs to be in this comp. but yeh no more after that. he was only like 20 mins late.

Uber Man
07-23-2009, 08:55 PM
huevos is in you silly nubbies. look at the participants in the first page :P

chromaticvision
07-24-2009, 09:05 PM
are we allowed to submit ours to the main forum for criticism first??

ExplorerFreak
07-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Aw mannnnnnn, I wanna judge.

mtgold83
07-25-2009, 12:34 AM
No. Thats getting help basically.

ninja.kitty
07-25-2009, 12:37 AM
nah, sorry dude. you can only have it critted when it is judged.

huevos
07-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the support dudes!
I'm not that great of a post-hardcore writer (as JesseBlachard said; I would say that this guy or Its_Rock77 are most likely to take the competition, as they are both phenomenal writers).
My domain is more thrash, mathcore, and weird jazz.
Doesn't seem that way, but I've got about 2-3 albums worth of songs stock piled in my comp.

But now I'm excited to do some P-HC!

JesseBlanchard
07-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Write an awesome ATDI type song with jazz influences. now. and then youll win the comp haha.

mtgold83
07-25-2009, 12:20 PM
lol a lot of "Great Writers" On UG tend to make their songs UBER produced. so... I dunno.

huevos
07-25-2009, 01:29 PM
Write an awesome ATDI type song with jazz influences. now. and then youll win the comp haha.

Funny you should say that.

I think I've started work on one of the greatest songs I've ever made.
The intro should sound familar to some...
I'm gunna be late for work, but I don't give a damn. This is an awesome song.

Huedit:
And it's very overproduced. But that's just my style.

Its_Rock77
07-25-2009, 02:42 PM
wow, thank you very much huevos :D

however, my songs for competitions usually suck since I can't write under pressure or with a deadline.

my songs that are "phenomenal" as you say have been months (even years) in the making. :p: of course I work on many other things in between but you get the point.

icronic
07-25-2009, 02:56 PM
however, my songs for competitions usually suck since I can't write under pressure or with a deadline.

I'm finding I have much the same problem. I'll definitely have something ready by the deadline, but I think it'll take an extra few weeks/months to get everything to where I want it to be.

I keep getting sidetracked jamming over the interlude I wrote though instead of actually working on the song. I'm very very very tempted to put in a solo. Must resist.

Uber Man
07-25-2009, 03:05 PM
you can put in a solo, as long as its not super long, and there aren't to many. or at least some sort of neat repeating melody. or nothing, whatever you think will make it sound better.

Its_Rock77
07-25-2009, 03:06 PM
what's wrong with a solo? :confused:

ninja.kitty
07-25-2009, 03:17 PM
a solo is fine, as long as you dont go into crazy shred or killer sweep.

but then at that point it isnt a solo, i understand.

mtgold83
07-25-2009, 03:26 PM
If you want a good example of a solo in post hardcore look at time consumer by coheed and cambria

icronic
07-25-2009, 03:27 PM
what's wrong with a solo? :confused:

Haha, Well part of it is I'm trying to avoid my normal writing style for this one, and partly because I think it would push what I've got from bordering on the edge of the genre to fully outside the genre :P

Mostly it's the question, can I write a good song that doesn't have solos?

Plus I've honestly felt kind of jinxed since writing The Troubled Tale... It is by far the best thing I've ever written, and I've been struggling to come up with anything even remotely close to it since. I figured doing something as far away from normal for me as possible might help :)

Its_Rock77
07-25-2009, 03:27 PM
who says there can't be shredding in post hardcore?

there's some cool sweeping in some Chiodos songs. I'd like to think that they're sortof PHC....

huevos
07-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Coheed and Chiodos are P-HC. If TFOT is considered P-HC, then those 2 should be as well.

I'm thinking doing some epic, The Recieving End of Sirens or The Dear Hunter type of ending. I've got a good 1/3 of a song now, without drums and polish.
I find restricting myself is refreshing. I'm not falling an absolute tradition, but now I have some direction.

ninja.kitty
07-25-2009, 11:43 PM
who says there can't be shredding in post hardcore?

there's some cool sweeping in some Chiodos songs. I'd like to think that they're sortof PHC....
as long as it fits and doesnt sound out of place is more what i meant with that comment :P not the techniques themselves

Rumpy
07-26-2009, 08:47 AM
about soloing in post-hardcore: wikipedia names Dinosaur Jr as one of the bands that created post-hardcore by experimenting with the hardcore template, and J Mascis always soloed his buttocks off rather efficiently ;]

I hope my piece is relatively post-hardcore enough... early Biffy Clyro is usually tagged as post-hardcore, and my song is Vertigo Of Bliss inspired.

There could be a place for feedback for the songs in the competition, it's somewhat stupid that everybody is keeping silent about them, are only the judges allowed to express their opinion? :P

Its_Rock77
07-26-2009, 09:58 AM
that place is here. go to the other thread, listen to said song, come back to this thread, give praise and rant about how you're gonna lose.

at least that's how I do it :D

Carl6661
07-26-2009, 11:02 AM
There could be a place for feedback for the songs in the competition, it's somewhat stupid that everybody is keeping silent about them, are only the judges allowed to express their opinion? :P

Maybe after the judging we could put them up for general crit' or something, until then. I think it's a bit unfair on us who have already submitted our pieces if others are going to get help and critique with theres.

Rumpy
07-26-2009, 01:08 PM
no, I mean for those sent in - you don't get to change it etc, but just share opinions, like "rumpy's tune blows huge hairy donkey balls" :P

Carl6661
07-26-2009, 02:51 PM
no, I mean for those sent in - you don't get to change it etc, but just share opinions, like "rumpy's tune blows huge hairy donkey balls" :P

Ohhh! I thought you meant those who hadn't submitted getting help :haha:

I don't see why like just an 'opinion' type thread would hurt, just to share opinions on each others songs and such.

defiance64
07-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Ohhh! I thought you meant those who hadn't submitted getting help :haha:

I don't see why like just an 'opinion' type thread would hurt, just to share opinions on each others songs and such.
It could lead to cheating lol, Carl, do you want to cheat? -.-

Carl6661
07-26-2009, 04:01 PM
It could lead to cheating lol, Carl, do you want to cheat? -.-

No, I was the one who said that posting for crit' would lead to cheating in the first place, and would be unfair on those (including me) who have submitted songs :haha:

I meant just a thread for like, overall opinions on each others songs, not overly detailed critiques which could help people cheat. If I'm honest, I don't exactly agree with the idea of hearing what others think of the songs before judging, I just think that if people were absolutely desperate for it - It would be better to have a single thread for it rather than everyone post there own songs and get aload of detailled critiques.

icronic
07-26-2009, 04:19 PM
It'd be pretty damn hard to cheat considering the original post/edits and the songs themselves are all dated. So, if someone submits a song tomorrow, then re-ups it the day before the deadline, it'd be pretty obvious that they were cheating :P

Carl6661
07-26-2009, 04:39 PM
It'd be pretty damn hard to cheat considering the original post/edits and the songs themselves are all dated. So, if someone submits a song tomorrow, then re-ups it the day before the deadline, it'd be pretty obvious that they were cheating :P

That's pretty much what I meant, yeah. Although, the dodgy bit would be like, knowing what's cheating and what isn't. Because I posted my song in rough, and then edited in a finished version, and simply because of the fact it's editted, people might think I was cheating, when I actually got no help, and simply posted a final version of the song a day after the rough version.

So you would need to keep some kind of record of what dates/times people submitted songs and such, just to be sure... I probably could word that better, but whatever.

Uber Man
07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
well, the best form of cheating is bribery, ;)

mtgold83
07-26-2009, 05:47 PM
*takes money and walks away slowly*

.... :]

ninja.kitty
07-26-2009, 06:27 PM
if you guys want to share opinions on songs and such, just do that here. this is a general thread for everything but submissions and judging.

JesseBlanchard
07-26-2009, 08:51 PM
My song has pretty shredding stuff in it. Kinda fall of troyish shredding.

icronic
07-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Anyone care to share a good way of getting the tempo from 156 to 98 without sounding completely wacky? :)

I just listened to my song in with RSE off for the first time, and come to the realization that I'm going to have to spend a great deal of time remixing it for midi. Gah, quickly running out of time!

mtgold83
07-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Make a clean break transition? :P
with good use of melody and very little use of but still present dissonant chords.

Uber Man
07-27-2009, 12:00 AM
if its any consolation to you participants, i hate RSE, and only listen to guitar pro in midi.

Thomasoman
07-27-2009, 12:03 AM
^ Same here. I think it's muddy and basically takes away all musical value. MIDI is kinda like the raw sound, the RSE distortion makes it hard to hear the subtleties.

Carl6661
07-27-2009, 12:11 AM
if its any consolation to you participants, i hate RSE, and only listen to guitar pro in midi.

This.

mtgold83
07-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Oh we well me at least will only be viewing in MIDI bc RSE has some syncing issues, causes lag, etc. The ghost notes are always to loud, etc.

Thomasoman
07-27-2009, 12:17 AM
not the mention in the RSE drums, the cymbals are disgustingly loud. esp. the china, for some strange reason.

icronic
07-27-2009, 12:52 AM
It's always kind of hit and miss when it comes to RSE. I usually end up writing most of my stuff specifically for RSE, but it generally requires a lot of fiddling to get right. Cymbals and ghost notes are pretty easy to fix by just lowering the volume from forte to mf or mp. Sync issues too can be fixed by changing the latency delay in the audio options.

The only real issues I have it are the occasional skip.

I think most peoples problems are that they stick with the default settings, which are pretty garbage if you ask me. Anyone who uses pi distortion and strat guitar sound should be shot :)

Uber Man
07-27-2009, 01:09 AM
problem if you lower the volume from forte to mf or mp, is that the midi drums are too quiet. and since more than half the judges are going to be judging with midi, lower volume might not be a good idea ;)

icronic
07-27-2009, 01:28 AM
problem if you lower the volume from forte to mf or mp, is that the midi drums are too quiet. and since more than half the judges are going to be judging with midi, lower volume might not be a good idea ;)

Odd, after reading that upsidedown bit in your sig, all the right side up letters appear backwards. Trippy.

Anyway, I'll just do what I normally do and make two entirely separate mixes. A ton of work, but I'd end up doing it anyway, as I prefer RSE anyway. I like my chorus and reverb stuff, it makes the interlude especially grand sounding. I just have to hope the judges open the correct one, even with the rather obvious labels of midi and RSE :)

ninja.kitty
07-27-2009, 01:59 AM
wow, why do you all listen to midi? ive been setting it for rse..

chromaticvision
07-27-2009, 02:05 AM
I don't really have time to set up one for midi as well, can I request the judges use RSE for mine?

mtgold83
07-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Oh i can listen to both XD... But syncing is awful in RSE unless you use the right RSE effects.

Uber Man
07-27-2009, 04:29 AM
i'll probably end up listening to the songs in both RSE and MIDI, because i usually have to listen to a song a few time to crit it. (unless it was apparent that the song wasn't mixed for RSE) in any case, RSE or MIDI, it will not effect your score.

Pierrot66
07-27-2009, 11:52 AM
No !! Please, let me participate !

I really want participate ! :(

mtgold83
07-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Sorry your WAY late. 20 minutes is one thing but days after deadline ):.

cullanrocks
07-27-2009, 01:46 PM
dang i really wanna do this too...

ninja.kitty
07-27-2009, 02:07 PM
sorry guys :( im sure this wont be the last one, since this genre always gets lots of people interested. just keep your eyes peeled.

huevos
07-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Is it ok if I rip-off Cynic's King of Those Who Know, and the main Fallout 3 theme?
I didn't do it intentionally, but I'm still surprised at what subconcious brought out. It's awesome, since they actually sound good together.
This is what happens when I want to create something overproduced to hell...

Uber Man
07-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Fallout 3 has a main theme? the only music i ever hear in it is old 40's-50's music, and a bunch of patriotic music... lolz...

huevos
07-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Yeah.
On the main menu screen (with GOAT slides and everything), there's an orchestrated piece of music. I took the chord progression.
Same thing with King of Those Who Know.
It's basically just 4 notes/chords, but then again, Satch subpeonad (sp?) Coldplay for such blantant plagerism.

Thomasoman
07-29-2009, 12:59 AM
And I'll tell you the same thing I would about the whole coldplay scenario. I guarentee that same progression has been used in countless other works. as long as you make it work within the context of your original, its fine.

cullanrocks
07-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Fallout 3 has a main theme? the only music i ever hear in it is old 40's-50's music, and a bunch of patriotic music... lolz...

haha so weird that you mentioned this game. i just bought it last week and its soooo fun! haha

mtgold83
07-29-2009, 02:19 PM
And I'll tell you the same thing I would about the whole coldplay scenario. I guarentee that same progression has been used in countless other works. as long as you make it work within the context of your original, its fine.
Win.

icronic
07-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Win.

Aye.

Mind you the whole Satch vs Coldplay thing was more about the melody and it's phrasing being the same as opposed the actual chord progression. Still, that's not really relevant to his actual point, which was completely true.

As far as progressions go, there are only so many you can really use, and to really top it all off a I-IV-V is a I-IV-V regardless of whatever key it's actually in. Doesn't matter if you're playing E A B, A D E, or G C D. They're all the same. What really matters is the presentation of it.

My sound or my speakers have crapped out on me, which isn't boding well for me right now. At least my song is like 95% done though.

lordofthefood1
07-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah.
On the main menu screen (with GOAT slides and everything), there's an orchestrated piece of music. I took the chord progression.
Same thing with King of Those Who Know.
It's basically just 4 notes/chords, but then again, Satch subpeonad (sp?) Coldplay for such blantant plagerism.
Subpoenaed, besides the fact that you used the word absolutely wrong.

Hm, my song feels out of place with the other ones (which remind me to be more Thursday/Thrice/etc.) Hmm.

icronic
07-30-2009, 01:47 PM
Subpoenaed, besides the fact that you used the word absolutely wrong.

Hm, my song feels out of place with the other ones (which remind me to be more Thursday/Thrice/etc.) Hmm.

Haha, wait till you hear mine, then we can talk about out of place :)

Joe_92
07-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Haha, wait till you hear mine, then we can talk about out of place :)

And mine :) None of the ones i've heard seem to be going down the funeral for a friend/ the blackout route
I'd still call that post-hardcore :confused:

frankibo
07-30-2009, 06:59 PM
love the blackout! id like to hear some stuff influenced by them. yeah theyre still post-hardcore, definitely. i think fightstar are sometimes as well but they dont seem to be by the other bands ive seen mentioned :/

JesseBlanchard
07-30-2009, 07:48 PM

Whats yours like?

Carl6661
07-30-2009, 09:38 PM
love the blackout! id like to hear some stuff influenced by them. yeah theyre still post-hardcore, definitely. i think fightstar are sometimes as well but they dont seem to be by the other bands ive seen mentioned :/

In my opinion, they're not the most post-hardcore band on earth, but there is definantly a post-hardcore/post-rock influence ;)

But still, they're my favourite band. I'm not letting a genre get in the way of that :haha:

Its_Rock77
07-31-2009, 01:14 AM
so who else had their Guitar Pro equipped computer get a virus and get unusable for about a week during the competition when nothing was even started yet?

yeah, when does this end? If it's soon, I'll probably back out. If I remember, this happened last time a competition rolled around :p: So far I have nothing. I won't be able to have anything for another couple days now if I'm lucky. it seems hopeless. :sad:

Edit: 5 days? I'll hold off on backing down but it seems inevitable :(

JesseBlanchard
07-31-2009, 06:57 AM
5 days is plently of time. Pretty much just jam stuff out till it sounds good.

ninja.kitty
07-31-2009, 12:45 PM
so who else had their Guitar Pro equipped computer get a virus and get unusable for about a week during the competition when nothing was even started yet?

yeah, when does this end? If it's soon, I'll probably back out. If I remember, this happened last time a competition rolled around :p: So far I have nothing. I won't be able to have anything for another couple days now if I'm lucky. it seems hopeless. :sad:

Edit: 5 days? I'll hold off on backing down but it seems inevitable :(i will not allow you to back out. you ARE going to finish another song.

Joe_92
07-31-2009, 03:27 PM
I'd say fightstar are still post-hardcore- grand unification and the ep definitely. Not sure about the newer albums but they're still pretty epic- its just a shame so many people can't look past the busted link :haha:

Its_Rock77
07-31-2009, 06:51 PM
psh, my creative juices aren't even flowing.

and I definitely don't want to embarrass myself...:shrug: but I'll try

mtgold83
07-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Rock you wont embarass yourself haha.
I wish more people would get done. I hope they arnt over producing their songs with like 20 tracks.. >.> Honestly if that happens I will be pissed. D:.

This is kinda irrelevant but could soemone check out my new start of a mathcore like song.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173631

Morve38
07-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Rock you wont embarass yourself haha.
I wish more people would get done. I hope they arnt over producing their songs with like 20 tracks.. >.> Honestly if that happens I will be pissed. D:.

This is kinda irrelevant but could soemone check out my new start of a mathcore like song.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173631

Just a tip, if you want more comments on your song critique others and give them a link to your song for them to return the favor :p:

ninja.kitty
07-31-2009, 09:08 PM
im not over producing... im just stuck :P

chromaticvision
07-31-2009, 09:14 PM
i think mine is overproduced. mine just sounded weak without the other bits.

mtgold83
07-31-2009, 11:37 PM
lol i know how to C4C i just am tired of my crits never being returned my douche bags xD

Carl6661
08-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I'd say fightstar are still post-hardcore- grand unification and the ep definitely. Not sure about the newer albums but they're still pretty epic- its just a shame so many people can't look past the busted link :haha:

+ infinity :sad:

lordofthefood1
08-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Whats yours like?
The Fall Of Troy's first album with some shred
I don't know why I must incorporate noob shred into like all of my songs

I think it is to get high schoolers to go, "OMG HES SO GOOD HE ISN'T EVEN PICKING"

i think mine is overproduced. mine just sounded weak without the other bits.
You need to stick to minimal dude!

I think I've used more than three tracks in a song once or twice within the last year
(not counting delay tracks, but most of the time I just use Andy On the Moon > Delay)

Thomasoman
08-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Man, icronic, yours is easily my favorite submission so far. Thats gonna be hard to beat dude good job haha.

mtgold83
08-01-2009, 06:12 PM
I have a program that overdubs the RSE and makes it sound much more realistic so do not worry about midi on my part at least. and judges if you want me to email each of the contestants files mixed to a true real life sound i can do that.
Note: I will still listen to RSE and Midi anyways but this program pwns RSE in the field of being realistic

lordofthefood1
08-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Man, icronic, yours is easily my favorite submission so far. Thats gonna be hard to beat dude good job haha.
Hah, thanks. I really liked my "thrice" type song, but one of the picking patterns is literally used in somebody else's and they did submit first, so I didn't wanna do that. (Also, I think I accidentally recycled parts of another song I had written, so that's a no go anyway, right?).

I like everybody's right now, they aren't half bad.

icronic
08-01-2009, 06:40 PM
I have a program that overdubs the RSE and makes it sound much more realistic so do not worry about midi on my part at least. and judges if you want me to email each of the contestants files mixed to a true real life sound i can do that.
Note: I will still listen to RSE and Midi anyways but this program pwns RSE in the field of being realistic

So now comes the inevitable question. What is this mythical program of which you speak?

lordofthefood1
08-01-2009, 06:42 PM
icronic, yours rocks! It is kind of how my "thrice" type one sounded, except I was no where close to that jazzy interlude. I think yours is the best out of the thread (trying not to be conceited, trying not to be full of myself, hah)

mtgold83
08-01-2009, 06:44 PM
haha icronic its not mythical. its a plugin with mixcraft. When i find out the name i'll let you know.

huevos
08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I would say that Icronic's song takes the cake.

Very inspiring. My song doesn't come close on touching his level of counterpoint, rhythmic orientation, or dynamics.
But I will tread forth anyways.

Thomasoman
08-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Yeah that jazzy ending is what does it, haha. I usually don't rave about a song like this. yet I am!

huevos
08-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Suggestion to those who finish early. If you finish early go back the next day or 2 days after and listen to it to make sure its exactly what you wanted. Be perfectionists :).

lol a lot of "Great Writers" On UG tend to make their songs UBER produced. so... I dunno.

You dirty commie SOB!
Imma kill you! With my song, of course!

I thought it was originally over-produced, but my general OCD tendencies made it even more effects laden, ineffectionate (is that even a real word), and a barren wasteland of sound.

I'm finally satisfied with what I created.

It took me a good 10 hours, 31 minutes, and a jumble of seconds to create what I have now, but it's good (by my standards).
Problem is, idk if I can consider this PHC. haha

JesseBlanchard
08-01-2009, 10:21 PM
Yeh icronic's is awesome. DGD/FOT pretty much haha.

Nearly finished mine. Worst time to get writers block! mine sucks.

icronic
08-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys for the positive remarks!

The interlude near the end of the song was actually what inspired the song in the first place. I really loved that progression, so I ended up basing the verse and outro riffs around it. Well that and a DGD song I used as a point of reference. :)

lordofthefood1
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
No way! I love mistakes and out of place things in songs. I've posted quite a few songs that have mistakes in progression and stuff (my one song Airships has a whole line that is played wrong (the logical/obvious thing that was supposed to happen is in the wrong octave (it was going a whole part high, then a whole part low. I kept a riff in the high octave... oops! No point in correcting it)))

Brendan.Pivin
08-03-2009, 01:04 AM
damn i wouldve like to sign up

mtgold83
08-03-2009, 03:26 AM
2 more days :).
Im going to judge them all on the 6th. Noon my time so. :]

ninja.kitty
08-03-2009, 01:16 PM
mannnnnnnnnnn i need to figure out an ending!!!

mtgold83
08-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Ninja kitty. You know what an awesome ending is?
Have all the music stop. and in the background a picture of
"Originally Posted by Gargantuan
*reads post*

0_0

*puts down sandwich*

god damnit"
:).

|_JR_|
08-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Uuuuuuf I'm running against the clock too - after a few failed tries I started on my entry yesterday o.O - past the halfway point now, but some more hours needed to finish...

It sounds more like "jazzcore" (does that even exist? xD) than post-hardcore but hopefully it'll be passable.

Carl6661
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Uuuuuuf I'm running against the clock too - after a few failed tries I started on my entry yesterday o.O - past the halfway point now, but some more hours needed to finish...

It sounds more like "jazzcore" (does that even exist? xD) than post-hardcore but hopefully it'll be passable.

My old joke band, Parasytikal Pig had a 'jazzcore' song.

It was like, imagine something like Torsofxck or Dying Fetus, but every 15 seconds it randomly goes into really cheesy jazz music, and then randomly comes back in with a huge blastbeats, Dropped F breakdowns and insane BREET BREEET!!! vocals and stuff. :headbang:

Thomasoman
08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I would consider The Number 12 Looks Like jazzcore, personally.

Jazzy math grind. or something.

|_JR_|
08-03-2009, 05:42 PM
My old joke band, Parasytikal Pig had a 'jazzcore' song.

It was like, imagine something like Torsofxck or Dying Fetus, but every 15 seconds it randomly goes into really cheesy jazz music, and then randomly comes back in with a huge blastbeats, Dropped F breakdowns and insane BREET BREEET!!! vocals and stuff. :headbang:

This I wanna hear :eek: link perhaps?

Carl6661
08-03-2009, 05:56 PM
This I wanna hear :eek: link perhaps?

I personally don't have any of our recordings :sad:. I'll record something like it tomorrow at some point ;)

Its_Rock77
08-04-2009, 01:26 AM
I started something. it was pretty much a jazz progression with distortion. then I quit.

I'm out guys. sorry :sad:

Edit: if the results come out a tie, I call being the tiebreaker judge :D

Double Edit: big change of plans, I'm gonna try to put out my best in this one day and see. I'm feeling really inspired. :D

Uber Man
08-04-2009, 01:53 AM
i hope you get something done, im looking forward to seeing it.

Carl6661
08-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Double Edit: big change of plans, I'm gonna try to put out my best in this one day and see. I'm feeling really inspired. :D

Good luck :D

mtgold83
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
good luck :o. If i was in this competition i'd be the winner. bc I am that sexy. I may have a tiny man sword. But I win at everything :).

Its_Rock77
08-04-2009, 02:57 PM
JR, I'm gonna be sleeping with the lights on after the screamo part in your song. :p:

Thomasoman
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh god, there are so many amazing entries this year!

Just wanna say good job to everyone. Even though its not over yet...I mean compared to last time we did this, this stuff is phenomenal.

Uber Man
08-04-2009, 03:22 PM
There some good ones, but i got my eye on two of them, because im sure one of them will win.

|_JR_|
08-04-2009, 05:47 PM
JR, I'm gonna be sleeping with the lights on after the screamo part in your song. :p:

:haha: kinda overdone the dissonance didn't I? xDD

After a look on the entries, so far Rumpy's is my favourite (although this may be suspect, he and Biffy Clyro influenced me a little xD). icronic's and chromaticvision's were quite good too. ;)

Its_Rock77
08-04-2009, 07:17 PM
doesn't chromaticvision always write amazing songs?

let's conspire against him! :devil:

:p:

icronic
08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
doesn't chromaticvision always write amazing songs?

let's conspire against him! :devil:

Pretty much everyone's song in this competition is rather amazing, or damned near it. I suggest we revise the conspiracy plans and include everyone. Except me. Then I win. :)

What really kills me is I'm going out of town for 4 nights of gigging from wed-sun, so I won't find out the results till I'm back. On the other hand. Free food/beer, free lodging, $500 and a rather awesome lake to swim in. Oh yes.

lordofthefood1
08-04-2009, 10:45 PM
aw, people posted more traditional PHC that is pretty dang good

my more experimental thing might get pushed aside :(

mtgold83
08-05-2009, 12:31 AM
again . Phc is one of the widest genres out there. I've looked at all yours and you all used melody, disonance, good rhythms, etc. all elements of PHC.

Its_Rock77
08-05-2009, 01:37 AM
my opinion is changing again. :p: I really don't know if I can complete a good song in the next 24 hours. we'll see but it's looking pretty unlikely that I get something in. :(

icronic
08-05-2009, 01:51 AM
my opinion is changing again. :p: I really don't know if I can complete a good song in the next 24 hours. we'll see but it's looking pretty unlikely that I get something in. :(

Oh shut up. If you can't finish it, just post what you've got done. :)

We're not going to stop hassling you till you do.

:D

Its_Rock77
08-05-2009, 01:56 AM
oh god, I feel like a messiah here guys. come on, I'm not that good. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've only submitted like 3 good songs in my history of T&C. I've been here 2 friggen years. :p:

I'll take this day to put a lot of time in then post what I've got in this thread. I wouldn't feel comfortable actually submitting anything. happy? :haha

icronic
08-05-2009, 02:34 AM
oh god, I feel like a messiah here guys. come on, I'm not that good. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've only submitted like 3 good songs in my history of T&C. I've been here 2 friggen years. :p:

I'll take this day to put a lot of time in then post what I've got in this thread. I wouldn't feel comfortable actually submitting anything. happy? :haha

Alternately, it could just be fun to harass you :)

So when's the next competition? I feel the need to write another song. The whole writing outside my normal genre thing was kind of musically inspiring in a way.

ninja.kitty
08-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Alternately, it could just be fun to harass you :)

So when's the next competition? I feel the need to write another song. The whole writing outside my normal genre thing was kind of musically inspiring in a way.lets figure this out when we're done with this one, hahaha. i think we should wait a few months im between each one, just so we dont get tired of competitions. then it will be a fresh new thing every time we do.oh god, I feel like a messiah here guys. come on, I'm not that good. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've only submitted like 3 good songs in my history of T&C. I've been here 2 friggen years. :p:

because a i need you to write a cd so i can buy it :peace:

Rumpy
08-05-2009, 11:59 AM
thus far, jesse blanchard gets my cake (gawddamit, awsum stuff), with JR on close second. but all the songs are okay at least

Thomasoman
08-05-2009, 12:10 PM
XD @ Jesse's title.

I actually got that from family guy...so I cant really be credited.

ninja.kitty
08-05-2009, 12:49 PM
alright, songs must be in by 11:59 PM tonight, then judges can start judging at 12 AM, because i know they've been waiting in suspense for 3 weeks :P

huevos
08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
thus far, jesse blanchard gets my cake (gawddamit, awsum stuff), with JR on close second. but all the songs are okay at least

Him or Icronic.
I like JB's stuff because he always makes the bass very funky, and has an awesome sense of rhythm.

Huedit:
JR's is somewhat frightening, and has some tasty experimental tones.
I need to learn meself some better use of rhythmic pulses and melodic phrasing.
Those songs are just badass.

Another Huedit:
At first, I didn't like Of_Wolves piece, but I've gone through it a couple times now, and I really like it. I think the lack of OD/Distortion might have been it.
Now that song is calling me.

lordofthefood1
08-05-2009, 02:02 PM

I don't wanna be mean, but am I like the only person that doesn't like your songs?
(I mean, the one that people were talking about in that "top ten user songs" or whatever seemed really boring to me).

bleh

Uber Man
08-05-2009, 02:24 PM
so... we may begin to judge? or do they have all of the 5th to finish?

icronic
08-05-2009, 02:35 PM

In all honesty though, it's not you specifically.

I'm just of the opinion that people should share what they've done. Not submit it to be judged, but just so people can have a look.

I think that most of us here are probably sitting on a gold mine of incomplete material. I know I am, with about 20 incomplete songs ranging from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, and a hundred or so 10-20 second riffs or chord progressions or whatever.

Point being is that sometimes writing songs requires more than one persons ideas. I know I would never have finished Troubled Tale or Chords (arguably my two best works to date) without help from people here. So while you're not done for the competition, you still might get enough feedback to finish your song, and end up with something great, instead of another song to add to the incomplete pile of stuff that nobody'll ever hear.

Read a couple posts up :)

Midnight tonight you can start judging. There are still quite a few people who haven't submitted their stuff yet.

Carl6661
08-05-2009, 02:43 PM

It's probably fairer to alteast wait untill the deadline.

But if you want to get technical about it - Here in the UK it is the 5th, so I suppose in theory, you could judge the UK entries now, but it would just be easier to do them at the same time :haha:

EDIT - Okay to be honest, I have no idea what the date is in the US', I can't be bothered to figure it out. But seeing as it still says August 5th as the deadline, I'll presume for you guys, the deadline is tomorrow.

mtgold83
08-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I think we should judge at Noon time at 6th so everywehre in the world is in ht 6th at least. lol

Uber Man
08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
sorry, i wasn't sure if that up there had been posted today, or yesterday

lordofthefood1
08-05-2009, 04:10 PM
In all honesty though, it's not you specifically.

I'm just of the opinion that people should share what they've done. Not submit it to be judged, but just so people can have a look.

I think that most of us here are probably sitting on a gold mine of incomplete material. I know I am, with about 20 incomplete songs ranging from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, and a hundred or so 10-20 second riffs or chord progressions or whatever.

Point being is that sometimes writing songs requires more than one persons ideas. I know I would never have finished Troubled Tale or Chords (arguably my two best works to date) without help from people here. So while you're not done for the competition, you still might get enough feedback to finish your song, and end up with something great, instead of another song to add to the incomplete pile of stuff that nobody'll ever hear.

Read a couple posts up :)

Midnight tonight you can start judging. There are still quite a few people who haven't submitted their stuff yet.
Yeah.. I've been writing a TFoT esque album for the last year or so
the song I posted would fit in it, but it would honestly be the worst of the bunch..

mehh
find my last few submissions to this forum

ninja.kitty
08-05-2009, 04:41 PM
not sure if this was intentional, but joe's song sounds ALOT like scary kids scaring kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28HcOWKun-4

Its_Rock77
08-05-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't wanna be mean, but am I like the only person that doesn't like your songs?
(I mean, the one that people were talking about in that "top ten user songs" or whatever seemed really boring to me).

bleh

no, I don't take offense to that at all.

in fact, reading through that post by me again it sounded a bit headstrong and pretentious which is not at all how I meant it.

however, the couple songs I have done I am majorly proud of and hold them in very high regard at least for myself :shrug:

and also, I've gotta work tonight. I've got no more time to do my song. I'm completely out. :shrug: I'll complete a song though and submit it to T&C eventually though.

ninja.kitty
08-05-2009, 04:48 PM
no, I don't take offense to that at all.

in fact, reading through that post by me again it sounded a bit headstrong and pretentious which is not at all how I meant it.

however, the couple songs I have done I am majorly proud of and hold them in very high regard at least for myself :shrug:

and also, I've gotta work tonight. I've got no more time to do my song. I'm completely out. :shrug: I'll complete a song though and submit it to T&C eventually though.
should i put you down to judge then? as long as you promise to post a song later?

Rumpy
08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
jeebus christ, why the hell does everybody pressure him to send something in? xD

and Its_Rock77... yes, you do sound headstrong ;)

Joe_92
08-05-2009, 05:53 PM
not sure if this was intentional, but joe's song sounds ALOT like scary kids scaring kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28HcOWKun-4

Oh **** so it does :(
The resemblance wasn't intentional- i'd never even heard that band until you posted that link. But i do see where you're coming from. I guess thats what comes of writing generic riffs- feel free to take off points for lack of creativity. I'm not expecting to do well at all though- not with the amazing stuff other people have come up with: mine's pretty generic tbh.

edit: listened to more of their stuff and it seems i have stolen their style a bit :facepalm: . And i'm in love with jesseblanchard's entry

Its_Rock77
08-05-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm not judging. I remember hating that when I did :p:

but yeah, I am in love with my own songs but that's only because I write what I want to hear. no harm meant. :) there are quite a few contestants in this competition who I only dream of writing like. :D

Rumpy
08-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I want to write something I want to hear. usually it duds out. congratulations to you then :)

Its_Rock77
08-06-2009, 01:23 AM
hey guys, I decided I would show you the ten seconds of song I came out with :p:

I was gonna cut that whole first part cause it sucked. the last 8 bars though I thought were pretty cool. :shrug:

ninja.kitty
08-06-2009, 02:39 AM
JUDGING STARTS AS OF NOW

because im going to bed. sorry to those who didnt make it in, but it should've been submitted earlier.

judges:

1. please post your results in the appropriate thread (link in the first post of this thread)
2. please do so in a timely fashion. you signed up for this responsibility, so it is not fair to the rest of us if you take your time with it. we want to wrap this up asap.
3. give everyone equal listening time

now get to it!

JesseBlanchard
08-06-2009, 06:14 AM
mtgold83:

Closure In Moscow are one of my fav bands so that prob explains why my song sounds influenced by them haha. Thanks for the indepth crit.

Rumpy
08-06-2009, 10:44 AM
you've gotta love the in-depth crit this guy is giving :D

mtgold83
08-06-2009, 01:05 PM
thanks :). I want you guys to understand how talented you are.. or for some... are not at the level of talent and creativity they need to be at to have a chance in musical compositions. By the time our generation becomes dominant in the musical world we should want to impress dont you agree? :).

Haha@ jess
I forget his name but the singer kissed me on the cheek hahaha hes such a peace loving hippy :D.

Manny, their guitarist is a really nice guy and I hope they develop a new wave of posthardcore in their future

@My fellow judges. Please do the same thingy i did. Really quick reserve yourself four posts bc there are 12 entrees and do 3 ratings a post. Unless you dont go all out as I am doing thats fine haha.

ninja.kitty
08-06-2009, 02:56 PM
i got the same rating as jesse?! yessss!

mtgold83
08-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Haha you did well. :P I'll be honest I liked jesses more but im trying to be as little bias as possible

Its_Rock77
08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
the overall feel should give more points towards a total than certain specifics for future reference. cause that way, the best song will win regardless of specifics :shrug:

but it really doesn't matter :) you are doing an excellent job of judging.

lordofthefood1
08-06-2009, 03:09 PM
heh yeah, I understand everything you wrote mt (and most of the time why)

so anti-critique is here :::

bars 38-46 (the droning notes) are meant to be a tension before the shred part
I'd assume that live something would just be screamed over it

bars 61 do have a lead and it is bass, in the form of walking bassline ;) (heh)

and I get why you think the outro is creepy, it is partly because half of the guitar is in D minor, which is clashing with the C Major key of the rest of it.. heh. I don't get why you don't like the creepiness of it though, I thought it was grand and fit theme.. heheh

thanks for liking my song :)

oh, but you gave me an additional 1.5 points somewhere
(so either a typo was made or my score should be 7.83 .. idk, I'm a good sport)

Its_Rock77
08-06-2009, 03:14 PM
:p: oh honesty.

actually, that just proves that you didn't trust his adding that you had to check :no:

huevos
08-06-2009, 03:42 PM
mtgold83, Time Consumer is one my favorite C&C songs, although I was definitely was trying to go for more miminalist style of ATD-I with a bit of PTH and TFOT for leads.

The powerchord rhythm (A#-C-G) didn't really work out as great as I had hoped, but I wanted to keep that section somewhat "quiet" and straight-forth. I think if I had went with a full orchestra or at least some keys and a vox line, that would have made it more majestic.

Thanks for the compliments on the leads.
That means quite a lot to me, as I've spent the last year vigorously improving my technique and phrasing, which is apparently showing in my compositions.

Rumpy
08-06-2009, 03:48 PM
ya, someone messed up math on lordofthefood... ;)

mtgold83
08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
yea you did a good job. :). Lord I added a bit of points after relistening :o.

lordofthefood1
08-06-2009, 05:01 PM
:p: oh honesty.

actually, that just proves that you didn't trust his adding that you had to check :no:

Huh?

It means there is no way 7.5 and 8 and 8 can equal more than 8...

mtgold83
08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Am I the only judge doing his job..? hahah I worked 8 hours today I assumed someone else would of judged by now.

Carl6661
08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Am I the only judge doing his job..? hahah I worked 8 hours today I assumed someone else would of judged by now.

I thought it was weird how you were the only one doing any judging :confused:

Friendly Stoat
08-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Damn, sorry about just disappearing from this comp, been ill and in hospital and sort of forgot about it as a result! Will do the next one though.

Its_Rock77
08-06-2009, 06:44 PM
actually, it's not all that rare that all the judges take weeks to do this. which is why ninja.kitty stressed so much the point that we want results fast.

Carl6661
08-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Uber Man -

I totally get what you mean when you say there's a lack of melody and stuff to hum to in my song. I was going to put a vocal melody, but I'm not that great at writing them and I didn't want to kill the piece with crappy vocals. Thanks for the great score though :D

Its_Rock77
08-07-2009, 12:55 AM
I'd just like to point out after reading one of Uber Man's crits. Screaming and Dissonance is not definitive of Post Hardcore and a lack thereof does not give reason for point deductions. The one place I read it was in Chromaticvision's score. I hope this is changed, especially since it probabably affected some of the other participants also.

Uber Man
08-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I'd just like to point out after reading one of Uber Man's crits. Screaming and Dissonance is not definitive of Post Hardcore and a lack thereof does not give reason for point deductions. The one place I read it was in Chromaticvision's score. I hope this is changed, especially since it probabably affected some of the other participants also.

what i meant, was it kind of sounded like a poppy punk song, rather than a post-hardcore song

Uber Man
08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Just finished another four crits, (i decided to say that here so you well actually know without looking, because i just edited the my last crit post.)

lordofthefood1
08-07-2009, 04:52 PM
haha uber man my song isn't that hard to play, the only part I think that is actually challenging is the diagonal three finger tapping (51-54). Care to explain what part you think is "Some Riffs seemed next to impossible," I can't seem to find it at all. Besides that, I understand everything you say in your crit, but I think you should listen to The Fall Of Troy's self titled album if you don't understand why I wrote the song (told ya guys I'd be docked for writing a less traditional phc). Perhaps if I had a vocal line the time change part would have made sense (it is meant to make you mess you your thinking pattern).

in general, I recently found a song that is incomplete on my computer that I'm going to finish and just post for fun. It is traditional phc. I wish I realized that I was writing it.

Uber Man
08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
it didn't have the tapping "T" on it, lol i never even considered, i'll take another listen

Rumpy
08-07-2009, 06:08 PM
just a question, uber man - if my sound is unique, why is my song generic? ;)

Uber Man
08-07-2009, 06:12 PM
just a question, uber man - if my sound is unique, why is my song generic? ;)

sigh, because im a failure... maybe i shouldn't judge, i do a ****ty job with 3 complaints already. i shouldn't have signed up to judge before i knew what post-hardcore was.

lordofthefood1
08-07-2009, 06:24 PM
nonono, diverse judges are just important.

seriously, this is motivating me to write one of my best songs yet (though I still can't write jazz at all, my thing sounds absolutely random). Just try not to contradict yourself like in Rumpy's. I wanna see what other judges have to say too, get on it judges!

chromaticvision
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
has someone messaged the people who said they would judge?

Thomasoman
08-07-2009, 08:30 PM
hopefully.. I'm feelin' pretty unloved right about now XD

Its_Rock77
08-08-2009, 01:25 AM
oh you guys just wait. this is nothing. :p:

you're lucky to have gotten 2 of the judges starting this early. besides, haven't all of you already experienced worse? I'm pretty sure most of you guys were in the last one.

Thomasoman
08-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Yeah, I actually won the last one :P But the judging system was all screwed up and unorganized so to be honest, I probably shouldn't have.

Its_Rock77
08-08-2009, 01:36 AM
if I remember correctly, you deserved it. or at least in my opinion it was you or some other guy. I remember you having a great song written. :shrug:

Thomasoman
08-08-2009, 01:43 AM
Well thank you very much!

Though I think the competition is MUCH better this time around. Shame you couldn't finish that song up man, it was some kind of awesome so far.

Its_Rock77
08-08-2009, 01:57 AM
some kind of awesome :haha
that sounds super legit man. :p: but yeah, I just stopped writing that. I got a pretty good idea going the day after (of course :rolleyes: ) but whatever.

I'm considering this Jazz one hmmmm

Thomasoman
08-08-2009, 02:03 AM
Hey, you can't force it. gotta write what you feel. I think to actually have a solid entry to any kind of comp on here, you have to be lucky enough to have a song idea ready when it rolls around. Which is probably why mine isn't that post haha, I was thinking Norma Jean when I wrote it but hey, whatever works.

Its_Rock77
08-08-2009, 02:14 AM
that statement is soooooo true. if you don't already have something in mind, you're somewhat screwed. because after the comp starts, everyone begins trying to force a good idea making the whole process impossibly screwed up. :shrug:

but luckily this comp has got me back in the writing kind of mood :) which, even though I didn't participate, is way more than I could've hoped for :D

mtgold83
08-08-2009, 08:08 PM
My judging will be complete by 12:00 my time tonight. sorry for the wait half way through but i had some family stuff to attend to.

Carl6661
08-09-2009, 03:50 PM
that statement is soooooo true. if you don't already have something in mind, you're somewhat screwed. because after the comp starts, everyone begins trying to force a good idea making the whole process impossibly screwed up. :shrug:

but luckily this comp has got me back in the writing kind of mood :) which, even though I didn't participate, is way more than I could've hoped for :D

This comp' got me back into writing aswell. :) Although my song was a little forced I feel, some parts were like, ideas I've had in my head for a while but have never bothered to do anything with them and such but for the most part I just stuck some stuff together and it sounds good (Not trying to blow my own trumpet when I say that). But I'm glad it got rid of my lack of ideas I've been having recently. :D

lordofthefood1
08-09-2009, 11:42 PM
judges where are youuuuu..

oh yeah, and my more traditional phc song is up. I'm not sure which I like better.

icronic
08-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Just a couple comments here...

The drum breaks: They only really make sense if you're listening in RSE, since the sound changes to that hugely bassy/reverby compressed type drum tone. I also used it to kind of provide a way to drag out the tension of the diminished chord I hung at the end of the chorus. Plus it kind of was mean to provide some space to digest the song up until that point.

I don't see what's wrong with the beat itself though. I heard quite a few of those snare roll type things in a number of songs I listened to. Especially the DGD songs, which even used them in a fairly similar manner as I did.

mtgold83:

Nothing is out of key in the verses, and all the lead parts are strictly chord tones. The choruses do use chords that are out of key though, but that can all be explained by secondary dominants and chord substitution and blah blah blah.

For verse 2, I had a choice. Either keep going with the lead guitar lines, or simplify them and add an extra part. I tried it both ways, and I just liked the arpeggios better. Having both lead guitar, rhythm and arpeggios was just too cluttered, especially if you take into vocals into consideration. (Yes there are meant to be vocals, but I left them out because I thought the song stands without them, and I absolutely despise the way we represent vocals with GP).

The outro was difficult. I played around with lead parts and what not, but I liked it better on it's own. Still, it's one of those thing's that in a real recording would be made to sound extra loud, and extra large to compensate for it's relative simplicity. That and I also wanted the actual progression to stand out a little more, since it's such a cool progression.

Anyway, just felt like providing some explanation. I'm not asking you to reconsider your scores or anything.

Uber_Man:

I do have a bit of a beef here, and I would appreciate you take it into consideration. The comment about it being repetitive is a little unfair. First and foremost. Music is repetitive. It's how we get songs stuck in our heads. There are people on these boards who write some absolutely incredible music, but after listening to them in their 6-10 minute entirety you won't remember a single riff rhythm or melody because they never bothered to repeat anything.

You can't have a structured song without repetition and I repeat my verse/pre-chorus and chorus only a single time. On top of that, I added the extra harmony/rhythms/melody the second time through, so I really don't think it's repetitive at all.

I've got to ask as well, how is the pre-chorus unsupported and weak? I just don't see how.

I'll concede to the rest of the negatives you mentioned, but the two I mentioned above just don't sit well with me :)

aggiefan33
08-10-2009, 03:56 PM
judges where are youuuuu..

oh yeah, and my more traditional phc song is up. I'm not sure which I like better.
sorry dudes, haven't had time to judge lately, but i will have time tonight, so i'll get to it.