The Guitar Dictionary,

PDA

View Full Version : The Guitar Dictionary,

callumirvine
01-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Do you want to know what , "i was shreddin an amazing lead on my axe at the gig" means
A thread devoted to the words of guitaring, (basicly cause to many people asking what something means)
Slang or technical do-da's put it down!
if you would like to know what a word means just type it in, and an answer will appear soon enough,
if you like to answer the questions please leave a clear definiton of the correct wording and maybe some examples if needed, or you just like to be proud of yourself.
let The Guitar Dictionary begin!

When you want to answer a question please lay it out with the lheading in bold, then a dash, with the answer(s) on the next line,
I.E
Example-
this text in normal on next line, title in bold

(*by the way i have searched for this and nothing came up, so please dont flame me if there is*)

N.B - most answers published by me may have been from what i know or Wikipedia or other posts in the UG forum.

-*-8-*-8-*- The Guitar Dictionary http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307128 Check It Out And Pass It On!!!! -*-8-*-8-*-
if your would like to help the "Guitar Dictionary" hit off, please include this in your signiture. thanks you

-Callum :wtf:

Mky
01-16-2006, 01:11 PM
So, what's shredding?

callumirvine
01-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Shredding-
In the context of an electric guitar, "shredding" refers to a virtuosic, highly technical style of playing the instrument, as exemplified by the virtuosos of the eighties such as Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Greg Howe, Tony MacAlpine, Shawn Lane, Steve Vai or Yngwie J. Malmsteen.

The style of shred guitar is strongly founded in technique and theory. Many shred guitarists are extremely well versed in music theory and classical music. Much time is devoted to the development of technique through numerous exercises. A key practice tool is the metronome. Many virtuosic techniques displayed by "shredders" include sweep picking, tapping, legato, alternate picking, string skipping, as well as a combination of the aforementioned techniques.

Although shred is not as prominent today as in the 80's- highly technical guitar playing can still be found in many genres. Progressive metal and Death Metal contains many guitar virtuosos. John Petrucci, guitarist for Dream Theater, exemplifies the "prog metal" guitarist as well as guitar extraordinarie Michael Romeo from the progressive band Symphony X . And Chuck Schuldiner from the band Death, (Death/Tech/Progressive metal) also exemplifies highly virtuosic abilities on the guitar.

There are a handful of good shred guitar websites on the internet such as 'Shredaholic', and 'TruthInShredding' which feature content ranging from guitar lessons to discussion forums, and often offer help to aspiring instrumental artists trying to get heard.

Stimpomatic
01-16-2006, 01:16 PM
So, what's shredding?

shredding is playing as fast as possible while still maintaining musical structure and sense (most of the time). i have question and it may sound somewhat newb, but what are double stops?

callumirvine
01-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Double Stop-
A double stop, in music terminology, is where a musician plays two notes simultaneously on the guitar. In performing a double stop, two separate strings are depressed (stopped) by the fingers, picked/plucked simultaneously. only on stringed instruments

Likewise, the triple stop (three strings) and quadruple stop (four strings). Collectively, double, triple and quadruple stopping are called multiple stopping.

not a newby question, i didnt know what it is for a few years!

NovemberRain273
01-16-2006, 02:22 PM
whats legato?

btw i just wanna say that this thread was an awesome idea! :cheers:

callumirvine
01-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Legato-
In musical notation legato indicates that musical notes are played smoothly. That is, in transitioning from note to note, there should be little to no silence between notes. Legato technique is required for slurred performance, but unlike slurring, legato does not forbid rearticulation.

In guitar playing legato usually refers to slurred notes, especially hammer-ons, pull-offs, and slides. An electric guitarist using legato technique will generally only pick notes when changing from a lower to a higher (pitch-wise) string. All other notes are played using the techniques mentioned. Many electric guitar virtuosos are well-versed in this technique, as it allows for incredibly rapid and also incredibly "clean" runs

Mokumo
01-16-2006, 07:43 PM
This thread is a good idea, I'll add a few!

Feedback -
The hum you get when a string vibrates for a while, the note stops and then you get this OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sound that lasts forever until you touch the string. This sound is typically achived by standing right in front of your amplifier (with your guitar facing it) with high gain. This sound can be a very useful tool once you figure it all out, but can be very annoying to listeners who hear this screaching noise for a long time. I'm not TOO sure on how the science of this works, but I can guess that the note goes out of your amp, and then your pickups pickup its own noise, and this happens repeatedly; ultimately giving you a humming sound.

Tapping -
A way of doing hammer-ons and pull-offs. What is unique about it is that it is done with your right hand. When someone is tapping, the usually play much faster than normal. For a good example of this skill being used, see the song "Eruption" by Van Halen.
For a how-to, see here:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/tapping.html
http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/right-hand-tapping/index.php
BE WARNED: People who tap a lot are often labeled as showoffs. It's a good skill to have, but don't use it too much.

Pinwheel -
I think it was originally done by Pete Townsend(sp, I'm not too big of a Who fan :p:). It's when you move your right arm around in a BIG, COMPLETE circle, and while you descend, you strum your guitar. Tada.

NovemberRain273
01-17-2006, 12:10 AM
whats a triad?

ridcullylives
01-17-2006, 12:21 AM
A triad is any three notes played together. Usually it is made up of the 1st note, 3rd note, and 5th note of a scale played together.

There are six basic kinds of triads: Major, minor, diminished, augmented, and suspended (4ths and 2nds)

In C major:

C major triad: C E G
C minor triad: C Eb G (3rd lowered)
C diminished: C Eb Gb (3rd, 5th lowered)
C augmented: C E G# (5th raised)
C suspended 4th: C F G (3rd replaced with a 4th)
C suspended 2nd: C D G (3rd replaced with a 2nd)

All chords are based off of these different triads.

callumirvine
01-17-2006, 11:16 AM
really good additions guys,
mokumo, nice with the 3 answers but can u try and wait for people to ask? because if everyone posts all the words in one week the thread will go away,
happy dictionary-ing

PsychoFreak
01-17-2006, 11:30 AM
What are passing notes?

callumirvine
01-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Passing notes-
A nonchord tone, nonharmonic tone, or non-harmony note is a note in a piece of common practice music which is not in the chord that is formed by the other notes; for example, if a piece of music is currently on a C Major chord, the notes CEG are members of that chord, while any other note played at that time is a nonchord tone. While such tones are most obvious in homophonic music, they can occur in contrapuntal music as well.

A nonchord tone is a dissonance and is required to resolve to a chord tone in conventional ways. If the note fails to resolve until the next change of harmony, it may instead create a seventh chord or extended chord. While it is theoretically possible that for a three-note chord there are (in equal temperament) nine possible nonchord tones, nonchord tones are usually in the prevailing key.

for a full list of passing note examples see.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_note

Mokumo
01-17-2006, 03:05 PM
really good additions guys,
mokumo, nice with the 3 answers but can u try and wait for people to ask? because if everyone posts all the words in one week the thread will go away,
happy dictionary-ing

Aw man...:sad:
:cheers:

Night_Lights
01-17-2006, 05:50 PM
ok someone explain to me the difference of

tension and suspention

when referring to chord characteristics.

callumirvine
01-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Tension -
In music tension is the perceived need for relaxation or release /
Pitch can be adjusted by varying the tension of the string. A string with less tension (looser) will result in a lower pitch, while a string with greater tension (tighter) will result in a higher pitch. The change in frequency is proportional to the square root of the change in tension:(see picture below)

i do not actually know what suspention is, maybe someone else could feild this question as i am not able to answer. thank you

Freepower
01-18-2006, 03:14 PM
A suspension is when you "suspend" a fourth or 2nd interval in a chord and them resolve it.

Play this - D Dsus4 D

Wow. Suspensionatic!

Or, use a sus2!

callumirvine
01-18-2006, 03:16 PM
lol thanks alot,
great addition
keep them coming

beaker
01-18-2006, 03:40 PM
suspension is like a softer version of tension, playing a normal C major(for instance)you would create the tension with a Csus4. the replacement of the E(replaced by the 4th note, the F) note of the normal C major creates the feeling of the chord hanging in mid air(or suspended), always wanting to revert back to the C major...thus creating suspension

Night_Lights
01-18-2006, 04:16 PM
i think i get what suspension sounds (sus chords yay) like but what kinds of chords have 'tension' in them?

also, i dont quite understand the concept of 'resolve'

Freepower
01-18-2006, 04:50 PM
^ chords with tension are often dissonant chords (your ear wants to run away!) and chords that sound like they're "just about" to go back to the tonic.

And as for resolving? You'd know it if you heard it. Its that sense of things returning to "rightness" and "simplicity" that you get from a cadence or nice harmonies...

Night_Lights
01-18-2006, 08:46 PM
hmmm im still not quite sure of resolve and i have no idea what cadence is :p: care to explain using an example?

and Tonic is the root note correct?

callumirvine
01-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Resolution (resolve - resolving) - - -
Resolution in western tonal music theory is the "need" for a sounded note and/or chord to move from a dissonance or unstable sound to a more final or stable sounding one, a consonance.
Resolution has a strong basis in tonal music, since atonal music generally contains a more constant level of dissonance and lacks a tonal center to which to resolve. The concept of "resolution", and the degree to which resolution is "expected", is contextual as to culture and historical period. In a classical piece of the Baroque period, for example, an added sixth chord (made up of the notes C, E, G and A, for example) has a very strong need to resolve, while in a more modern work, that need is less strong - in the context of a pop or jazz piece, such a chord could comfortably end a piece and have no particular need to resolve.

callumirvine
01-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Cadence-
In musical theory a cadence (Latin cadentia, "a falling") is a particular series of intervals or chords that ends a phrase, section, or piece of music. Cadences give phrases a distinctive ending, that can, for example, indicate to the listener whether the piece is to be continued or concluded. An analogy can be made with punctuation, with some weaker cadences acting as commas, indicating a pause or momentary rest, while a stronger cadence will then act as the period, indicating the end of the phrase or musical sentence.

callumirvine
01-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Tonic -
The tonic is the first note of a musical scale, and in the tonal method of music composition it is extremely important. The triad formed on the tonic note, the tonic chord, is thus the most important chord. More generally, the tonic is the pitch upon which all other pitches of a piece are hierarchically centered.

After tonic, the names of the remaining scale degrees (of a diatonic scale) in order are as follows: supertonic-2nd scale degree, mediant-3rd Scale degree, subdominant-4th Scale degree, dominant-5th Scale degree, submediant-6th Scale degree, leading Tone-7th Scale degree, subtonic-Also 7th scale degree, but applying to the lowered 7th found in the natural minor scale.

There can be major scales and minor scales. The tonic remains the same in these two different "modes," for a given key, wheareas scale degrees such as the third degree and the sixth degree are altered in the minor scale.

Tonic as the root note-
In music the root (basse fondamentale) of a chord is the note or pitch upon which that chord is perceived or labelled as being built or hierarchically centered upon. This feeling of centeredness is readily aurally perceivable for the culturally trained (those who grew up with European music) and its verbal labelling is a basic skill for the musically trained.

When the root is the bass note, or bottom, of the expressed chord the chord is said to be in root position. This may also be described as uninverted or as in normal form. Often the root is not actually the lowest pitch being played in a chord, in which case the chord is inverted.

Matthoney
01-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Divebomb? I think i know what it is but I would just liek to be certain.

Thanks, a a great idea.

callumirvine
01-22-2006, 02:42 PM
im not to sure about divebomb,

i cant seem to find a definition, May somebody else field this question?
Divebomb? I think i know what it is but I would just liek to be certain.

cheers again guys for the questions and answers

d_man2k
01-22-2006, 02:58 PM
Divebomb -
from what I understand, it's where you strum a chord then push the whammy bar on your guitar down smoothly and fairly slowly then let go quite quickly. This will give you the divebombing sound. I'm not an expert as my guitar has a Hardtail.

callumirvine
01-22-2006, 03:01 PM
Cheers Thanks for that contribution.
please lay it out as described opening post

d_man2k
01-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Erm...sorry?

callumirvine
01-22-2006, 03:15 PM
lol , u done it now, thanks

Night_Lights
01-27-2006, 11:58 PM
define please

Jamming.

Tritone.

comping.

vamping.

NovemberRain273
01-28-2006, 03:52 AM
whats violining?

and not only what is violining, but how do u do it? i think its what metallica does during the acoustic part of to live is to die.

callumirvine
01-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Jamming -
(a jam session) a musical act where musicians gather and play (or "jam") without extensive preparation or predefined arrangements.
or jamming can be used in reference as to "play" your guitar / other instrument. usually as converstation slang.

Tritone -
The tritone, as its name implies, is a musical interval that spans three whole tones or six semitones. The two most basic types of tritone are the augmented fourth and the diminished fifth. Two tritones add up to 6 whole tones - or 12 semitones - usually a perfect octave. A common symbol for tritone is π.

One of the two strong dissonances in the diatonic scale, it was called diabolus in musica ("the Devil's interval") by some from the early music era to the baroque period. It was exploited more heavily after the advent of equal temperament due to its usefulness to create a modulation. The only intervals (less than an octave) in tonal music that keep their characteristic sound in inversion are tritones. The tritone is abbreviated as TT

comping-
(Jazz accompanies) Comping (an abbreviation of "accompany") is the art of harmonically, rhythmically, and melodically supporting a jazz soloist with improvised chords. In a standard jazz combo, the pianist typically comps during the horn and bass solos by improvising chords and notes. During the piano solo, the pianist often plays melodic lines with his right hand while comping with his left hand, treating his right hand as the "soloist."

Vamping-
(jazz reference)
In jazz, a vamp is simply a repeating musical figure or accompaniment The equivalent in classical music would be an ostinato. A background vamp provides a performer, or perhaps the pianist's right hand, a harmonic framework upon which to improvise. A vamp often acts as a springboard at the opening of an improvisation.

callumirvine
01-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Guitar-
A guitar is a stringed musical instrument. For right-handed players, the right hand plucks the strings with either the fingers or a plectrum (guitar pick), while the opposite applies for left handed players (in general). The sound is produced by vibrating strings, which in turn resonate the body and neck.

Guitars may be acoustic, electric (i.e. with electrical amplification) or both. Classical guitars are also present in the guitar family. Guitars have a body acting mostly as a resonator, which can be hollow in acoustic guitars or solid in most electric guitars, and a neck. Typically, a headstock extends from the neck for tuning.

Parts of the guitar
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Electric_guitar_parts.jpg

1)Headstock
2)Nut
3)Machine heads
4)Frets
5)Truss rod
6)Inlays
7)Neck and fretboard
8)Neck joint
9)Body
10)Pickups
11)Electronics
12)Bridge
13)Pickguard

sexy-man
01-28-2006, 04:33 PM
define sweep picking

callumirvine
01-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Sweep Picking-
Sweep picking is the term for a guitar technique when a guitarist picks a string on their guitar downwards and then the next string below it downwards, in a 'sweeping' motion. This also applies for upward strokes, in which a player will sweep up the guitar strings towards themselves. Most guitarists will sweep across three or more notes within the same chord, but the notes are fretted with each fingertip separately (i.e. absence of barre chords) as the technique involves the player's pick striking each string and then pulling their finger off of the note they have just played to mute the sound produced. When properly executed, there is never more than one note sounding at a time. This is also sometimes called the "legato technique". Guitarists usually sweep pick arpeggios, as they produce a specific neo-classical, violin-like feel to their phrasing.

NovemberRain273
01-29-2006, 08:15 AM
umm i still have my quesiton unanswered -_-

callumirvine
01-29-2006, 08:20 AM
oh sorry dude, i thought i said i didnt have an answer,

Can someone please provide an answer for "what is violining"?

Thanks for the great questions and answers yet again

Jehuty
01-29-2006, 08:41 AM
Im not sure if you mean this but I think it is the following:

You play a note, then slowly drop the volume to 0, then play another note and up the volume again. Wait for someone else to provide a better explanation and/or back me up.

callumirvine
01-29-2006, 08:45 AM
kk, im not to sure about that either but i give it a wait for a 100 percent certain answer then i set it all out, cheers

Night_Lights
01-29-2006, 08:15 PM
well you put a volume knob to zero, play a note/chord, then slowly turn the volume up on the guitar to make a 'violin' effect.

NovemberRain273
01-30-2006, 12:00 AM
well is that what metallica does in the acoustic part of to live is to die? if it is i have to work on turning the volume knob fast :(

callumirvine
01-30-2006, 12:45 PM
yes, let me set it all out,

Violining-
Violining is when you play a note/chord while the volume is at 0 or very low, and then turn up the volume to get a smooth long note, this is a Violining effect.
To get this effect you must make sure the note is long and played loudly so it will last for the desired period that you wish the "Violin" effect to last for.

les_kris
01-30-2006, 01:44 PM
You can violin easily with a volume pedal november

skippertipper
01-31-2006, 04:22 PM
i know what a truss rod is, but what does it do?
and...heh...whats moshing?

`NeXxuS`
01-31-2006, 07:09 PM
Truss rod adjusts the warp of the neck...

moshing is pretty much pushing... and body surfing...

a lot of the nu-metal kids like to jump around... but its not acceptable by metal standards... hardcore kids like to "hardcore dance" which is not moshing... its only "exhibiting extreme homosexual tendencies"

callumirvine
02-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Truss rod
Truss rod is a device to stabilize and adjust profile of guitar neck. Usually it is a steel rod that runs inside the neck and has a bolt that can be used to change the profile.

Truss rod is required for instruments with steel (high tension) strings. Without truss rods, softer wooden neck would gradually bend beyond repair due to applied high tension. Such device is not needed on guitar with lower tension strings, such as nylon strings on classical guitars.

Moshing-

Moshing is a type of dance characterized by jumping around and or pushing others to loud punk, hardcore, and heavy metal music. Moshing is popular with many, especially young, fans. Moshing is also gaining popularity in the Rap and Breakcore (a genre of extreme electronic dance music) scenes.

Moshing is typically done in a mosh pit or circle pit. Originally this was just a group of people typically directly in front of the stage who were engaged in this form of dancing. It is now more frequent that there are mosh or circle pits throughout the entire audience.

callumirvine
02-01-2006, 11:09 AM
please people, i hate to stress how much i have to state the obvisous,
in the first post it describes how to set out answers, not just so the person asking can be adviced, but so others may also skip through the posts to see if their question has already been answers, please do this with the bold title and equal spacing. (read first post for full description)

thank you again for great answers

skippertipper
02-01-2006, 08:43 PM
what makes a humbucker so great?

Hong Siah
02-02-2006, 05:32 AM
Humbuckers

Humbuckers get their name because they cancel out a large proportion of the hum (they "buck the hum"), since they consist of two standard single-coil magnetic pickups, usually side by side, with opposing electric and magnetic polarity. This wiring is sometimes mistakenly referred to as being wired "out of phase". Signals that radiate into both coils with equal amplitude tend to cancel each other out when they travel through both coils.

There is also a type of humbucker called motherbucker. :haha :haha

Single Coils

The classic single-coil tone is crispy, bright, and clear, as opposed to the "fatter", darker sound of a humbucker. Classic examples of single-coil "twang" include "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, "Brown Sugar" by The Rolling Stones, and "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix.

Single coils have the tendency to produce more feedback and noise than humbuckers. This capability has been used to great effect by guitarists such as Jimi Hendrix.

callumirvine
02-02-2006, 12:25 PM
cheers for those,
SkipperTripper please ask for a definition, not "what makes a humbucker sound so good"
this isnt for questions but for definitions, hence it being a "Dictionary"

-Callum:wtf:

Untitled_melody
02-02-2006, 01:30 PM
hey i want to know what a tetrachord is and what it does?

I heard they are really good for making a fast upbeat song =/

ty in advance :peace:

shred god
02-02-2006, 03:04 PM
try diminished chords (minor b5)

S0ulja23
02-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Divebomb -
from what I understand, it's where you strum a chord then push the whammy bar on your guitar down smoothly and fairly slowly then let go quite quickly. This will give you the divebombing sound. I'm not an expert as my guitar has a Hardtail.
Not that there's anything wrong with this definition, I just want to revise it and add more detail.

Divebomb-
The act of pushing the whammy bar all the way down to the guitar's body while playing a note/chord and releasing it right away. This is usually done through a guitar w/ a floyd rose tremolo but can be emulated through a whammy pedal. Divebombs usually occur during guitar solos.

latham_diaries
02-03-2006, 10:53 PM
What do people mean when they write a chord like : C/D.
I don't know if that is an exact examle but I've seen alot of chords like that and I don't know wast to do.

Also, what are susended, dimminished and augmented chords?

`NeXxuS`
02-04-2006, 03:06 AM
That means C over D major...

basically you put the C as the lowest note... C D F# A

Jehuty
02-04-2006, 05:48 AM
Slash Chords

A slash chord is when you change the bass note of the chord. In your case, C/D would mean a C Chord with a D as the bass note.

s0nofabe4ch
02-04-2006, 07:59 AM
whats an "overdriven" guitar?

callumirvine
02-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Overdrive -

In the field of rock music, overdriven is a term used for an electric guitar amplifier when turned up, usually deliberately, past its maximum possible output, to the point where distortion (clipping) is clearly audible in the output signal. This distortion may range from a slight added "edge" with some increase in sustain, up to a thick fuzzy sound whose tonality is almost unrecognisable as that of the input signal.

Many modern guitar amplifiers have a preamp stage which can be made to distort heavily, while the final output volume can be controlled by changing the gain on the later stage(s) of amplification. The distorted sound from an overdriven electric guitar amplifier is usually much more acceptable to the ear than the distortion which most other modern audio amplifiers would create.

Suspended Chords-

A suspended chord is a chord in which the third is replaced or accompanied by either a fourth or a major second, although the fourth is far more common.

Diminished chords -

Generally speaking, a diminished chord is a chord which has a diminished fifth in it. More specifically, it is a three-note chord consisting of a minor third and diminished fifth above the root - if built on C, a diminished chord would have a C, an E flat and a G flat. The interval between the upper two notes is also a minor third - thus, the chord consists of two minor thirds stacked on top of one another. It resembles a minor triad with a lowered (or diminished) fifth.

Augmented Chords-

In general, an augmented chord is any chord which contains an augmented interval. An augmented sixth chord, for instance, has an augmented sixth between the highest and lowest notes. More specifically, the augmented chord is the three-note chord consisting of a major third and augmented fifth above the root - if the root is C, the augmented chord consists of the notes C, E and G sharp. It can also be thought of as two major thirds stacked on top of one another, and thus resembles a major chord with a raised fifth. This particular chord is also known as the augmented triad.

- Callum :wtf:

cleadus_134
02-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Someone mentioned this earlier, but whats this "hardcore dancing" or whatever it is?

`NeXxuS`
02-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Someone mentioned this earlier, but whats this "hardcore dancing" or whatever it is?

Oh my god, this is indescribable...

you have to see it

Hardcore Dancing (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-22967014850833842)

callumirvine
02-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Hardcore Dancing -

Hardcore dancing is a form of mosh (or slamdancing), an activity performed in a mosh pit at hardcore music shows. Generally the dancing is done to certain visceral parts of hardcore songs specially written to make the audience move around. Common names for these parts are "breakdowns", "beatdowns", and "two-steps."

Some common derogative terms for said dance are "Ninja Dancing" (named becuase the dancers look like they are fighting invisible Ninja), "Karate Dancing", and "Straight-edge Ballet".

Basicly a form of moshing with less influence of more people.

boardsofcanada
02-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Polychord?

i know what it IS but i have no clarity for it

help?

Holy Katana
02-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Polychord -
In music and music theory a polychord consists of two or more chords, one on top of the other, multiple chords. It is implied, however, that the two chords are constructed in different manners or are taken as a unit. Thus, while simultaneous chords in a bitonal piece may be called polychords, this is rarely found useful.

callumirvine
02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
thanks for great answer holy katana
keep 'em coming

callumirvine
02-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Arpeggios-

Used to indicate that the notes of a certain chord are to be played one after another (usually from lowest to highest) instead of at the same moment. playing a chord, but seperating each note in the chord and playing it in one sweep, (see sweep-picking, page 2)

soccermom
02-17-2006, 05:15 PM
This may or may not be a guiatr thing i am just puzzled when people say
"Yh that bands album has some real good grooves" what does that mean. Is it another way of saying tunes i just dont know.

callumirvine
02-18-2006, 06:35 AM
i dont really know how to put this as a definition..

i will explain it , then put the real definition,
when someone says "yeah, that bands album has some real good grooves", by grooves they mean rhythm, riffs, something catchy, a really good tune maybe,
so they may as well say "yeah, that bands album has some real catchy riffs" , or something similar.

Groove -
(in musical terms)

not much to say but a groove is a pronounced, enjoyable rhythm, taken from the '60s word 'groovy', to mean it has a good groove (see above paragraph)

Shorrock
02-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Arpeggios-

Used to indicate that the notes of a certain chord are to be played quickly one after another (usually from lowest to highest) instead of at the same moment. playing a chord, but seperating each note in the chord and playing it in one sweep, (see sweep-picking, page 2)

- callum :wtf:

they dont have to be played quickly.

callumirvine
02-18-2006, 09:07 AM
they dont have to be played quickly.

thanks for the correction, i've changed it now, :D

Freepower
02-18-2006, 09:51 AM
^ er, it doesnt have to be swept either.

"Notes of a chord, played seperately". Thats all.

guitar_freak08
02-18-2006, 10:03 AM
What is a pick scrape?

callumirvine
02-18-2006, 10:04 AM
^ er, it doesnt have to be swept either.

"Notes of a chord, played seperately". Thats all.

ahhh! my brain might explode, and it isnt notes of a chord played seperatly, in some arppegrios u can play the 2 notes of one string,

|-------------------------------12---15---12----------------------------|
|---------------------------12---------------12-------------------------|
|-----------------------14-----------------------14---------------------|
|------------------15---------------------------------15----------------|
|-------------15-------------------------------------------15-----------|
|-----12---16--------------------------------------------------16---12--|

callumirvine
02-18-2006, 10:07 AM
i believe a pick scrape to be were u run the pick down the strings and get the scraping feedback, usually down with lots of distortion.
im not to sure about this so im leaving it not as an official definition, could someone else please correct this if uncorrect?

Thegeetarnoob
02-18-2006, 10:58 AM
The two notes on the same string are both notes of that chord. For example, a C major arpeggio just consists of the notes C, E and G being played (as many times per string as you desire). The main point, however, is that it's those three notes exclusively.

Jehuty
02-18-2006, 03:28 PM
The two notes on the same string are both notes of that chord. For example, a C major arpeggio just consists of the notes C, E and G being played (as many times per string as you desire). The main point, however, is that it's those three notes exclusively.

Exactly. Arpeggios are taking the notes that a chord is built on and playing them seperately, which can basically be anywhere on the neck.

I was wondering, what is staccato?

Freepower
02-18-2006, 04:00 PM
^ playing notes short and detached. Imagine palm muted notes. There. Staccato in a flash!

Though obviously, its not limited to just PM.

IwannaBeSadated
02-19-2006, 02:40 AM
sweep?

callumirvine
02-19-2006, 04:08 AM
freepower, please read the first page, set out correctly!

IwannaBeSadated , sweep has already been described further back in the thread.

thanks again for great contributions! :peace:

Staccato -

In musical notation, staccato indicates that notes are sounded in a detached and distinctly separate manner with their lengths shortened; that is, a short silence should be between the notes, without affecting the rhythm. To play these you press on the fret , play the note, then release the string to end the note. This can be used for whole chords or single notes

- Callum:wtf:

headbanger4life
02-19-2006, 10:40 AM
what are modes and how do you use them?

also, exactly how do wahs work?

thanks in advance

boardsofcanada
02-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Wah

wahs change the sound envelope up or down. they work like pretty much an equalizer you shift up or down, thats why it doesnt lower your pitch but it still lowers the sound a little.

if that isnt clear you can google to the max.

Edit: sic

D Man
02-19-2006, 12:17 PM
I've read through this so far and its very good!

I forget if this was answered or not:

Violining

Picking a note or chord while the volume of the guitar is on zero, then sounding the note by raising the guitars volume. This has the effect of removing the pick attack and exponetial note decay that is the norm for guitar sounds and creating a note that rises gradually and sounds even, more akin to a gently played violin.

One thing, though: for this to be usefull you should edit your first post to include the definitions in the thread, and what page of the thread they're on! As it is, if someone wants to actually use it they have to trawl through everything to find what they want to know.

callumirvine
02-19-2006, 12:20 PM
thanks alot guys, and yes violining was already answer but now it is even more detailed, good answers

headbanger4life
02-20-2006, 10:14 AM
so what are modes and how do you use them?

dead_shall_rise
02-20-2006, 03:47 PM
what is dissonant?

callumirvine
03-01-2006, 12:10 PM
sorry people, the internet went down for the weekend, just got it back today,

headbanger4life - i dont know what modes are, maybe someone else can answer that *hint hint people*

Dissonance -

Dissonance as part of Consonance and Dissonance is the quality of sounds which seem "unstable", and have an aural "need" to "resolve" to a "stable" consonance. Both consonance and dissonance are words applied to harmony, chords, and intervals and by extension to melody, tonality, and even rhythm and metre.
Taken from Consonance and Dissonance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consonance_and_dissonance#Dissonance)

Logz
03-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Modes

Modes are a set of scales built from each degree of the major scale as the root note.
For example, if you have the C Major scale. There are 7 unique notes: C D E F G A B

Each one of those is the root note of its relative mode:

C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian
(C Ionain)

ukdudeinuk
03-01-2006, 01:04 PM
You would have to be more specific than that...It also needs to be said that every mode of a certain scale has the same notes but starts on a different scale degree and therefore has different intervals and a different sound than the original scale. I didnt make it like a definition because I know there is someone else that can word this all better...although to clarify nothing Logz said is wrong, I just felt that it could be more specific.

callumirvine
03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Cheers Logz and ukdudeinuk for the specified definition

william II.
03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b88/wobfy15/1570nk2.jpg

whats that?

and whats a floyd rose?

and what are locking tuners?

thanks in advance :D

Logz
03-06-2006, 11:45 AM
That is a locking nut

Floyd Rose
The floyd rose is a type of tremolo / whammy bar system.
In the back cavity of a guitar, the bridge extends down to there, and the tremolo block is attached to the body by springs.

This enables you to pull the bridge back and push it forward, which relieves and also puts tension on the strings, which will give you a higher or lower pitch.

Locking Tuners
When you do alternate tunings, the strings tend to pull on the tuners, which makes them (the strings) untune after a while.
A locking tuner locks the tuner in place, which means the strings tension will not pull on the tuners and unwind them.

callumirvine
03-06-2006, 11:52 AM
cheers logz great contributions all throughout the thread:D

mikeman
03-06-2006, 05:03 PM
What is the blues?

Night_Lights
03-06-2006, 07:15 PM
tetrachord?

Freepower
03-07-2006, 03:58 AM
^ chord consisting of 4 notes. Triads - E G B, Em... Tetrad - E G B D, Em7.

Feel free to correct me if a tetrachord and tetrad are different.

Guitarfrk526
03-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Ok this might sound really stupid,cuz i dont know what its called but how do you make the sound when your guitar whales? if that makes any sense at all

Hong Siah
03-11-2006, 12:04 AM
You mean making your guitar wail or what? Try the whammy bar or the Wah.

Freepower
03-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Ok this might sound really stupid,cuz i dont know what its called but how do you make the sound when your guitar whales? if that makes any sense at all

Probably you mean a "pinch harmonic".

Guitarfrk526
03-11-2006, 08:47 AM
yeah i just looked up "pinch harmonic" thanks freepower

callumirvine
03-21-2006, 04:24 PM
Blues -

The blues is a vocal and instrumental form of music based on a pentatonic scale and a characteristic twelve-bar chord progression. The form evolved in the United States in the communities of former African slaves from spirituals, praise songs, field hollers, shouts, and chants. The use of blue notes and the prominence of call-and-response patterns in the music and lyrics are indicative of the blues' West African pedigree. The blues has been a major influence on later American and Western popular music, finding expression in ragtime, jazz, bluegrass, rhythm and blues, rock and roll, hip-hop, and country music, as well as conventional pop songs.

The phrase the blues is a synonym for having a fit of the blue devils, meaning low spirits, depression and sadness

nightwind
03-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Callum, I don't really understand. You are just copying text from wikipedia. I mean, it's a good idea, but for the most part, you could get around alot of these pages with a single link to wikipedia saying "enter your question here"

C-Wak
03-21-2006, 05:47 PM
How do you pinch harmonic?

william II.
05-28-2006, 08:51 AM
ok another question: What is attack?

Thanks

Logz
05-28-2006, 12:18 PM
ok another question: What is attack?

Thanks

Attack is how you pick the strings.

How hard to attack the strings
what angle you attack the strings
How much of the pick attacks the strings

and so on

DevilMayCare
05-28-2006, 01:05 PM
I don't actually know how to do Pinch Harmonics...so this thread might explain it...it might not. Apologies if it's not the right thing:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53199&highlight=pinch+harmonics

JustinYap
07-14-2006, 07:47 AM
What's the difference between Distortion and Overdrive?

doive
07-14-2006, 08:58 AM
overdrive -

Where the sound goes beyond the range of the speaker so is clipped creating a fuzz sound

distortion -

Where the sound is actively distorted to change the frequency (or at least that's my understanding)

And callum can you shorten your sig a bit it takes up half the page, which wouldn't normally be too much of a problem but when it's your thread and your posting 3 or 4 times per page it gets a bit annoying

Logz
07-14-2006, 10:53 AM
^ This thread i started might help as well:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244998

skateguitar7654
07-14-2006, 02:02 PM
What is the difference between a regular Single Coil pickup and a larger P-90 single coil pickup?

JustinYap
07-16-2006, 01:00 AM
What's a tremolo?

tombomb22
07-16-2006, 02:39 AM
So, what's shredding?
shreddings kind of a no brainer!

tubab0y
07-16-2006, 08:59 AM
What's a tremolo?

well, tremelo is the rapid variation of volume. a tremelo on your guitar would be a bridge, generally attached to strings in the back, that would allow you to vary the pitch of your guitar.

tubab0y
07-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Where do baby guitars come from?

umm...factories? i hope so.

tubab0y
07-16-2006, 12:42 PM
no, really. i don't think guitars have sex glands...at least none of mine do.

Carnivean
07-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Let's go ahead and define the parts of a musical piece/song -

-Intro
-Verse
-Chorus
-Bridge
-Lead

Wutta you got?

Carnivean
07-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Ok, anyone who are willing to define those EVERYDAY USED terms.. please do.

Luke666
07-17-2006, 07:58 AM
i think this thread is a great idea!!! I have learnt loads from it but now i have one question left...

What are chops?

thanks.

fenderguy09
07-17-2006, 01:02 PM
What are chops?

ill give a very vague definition.

chops are basicly just the muscles that it takes to play your instrument. like, if your a trumpt player you need good chops for your mouth, or for a piano good chops for your fingers, and for the guitar its for things like your fingers and forearms. so, if after a short time of practice your fingers, wrist, and forarms start to hurt, you have weak chops. if it takes a long time of practice for your fingers, wrist, and forarms to hurt, then you have strong chops.

Carnivean
07-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Lol and here's a correct definition -

Chops

1. Ability to play an instrument. To have great chops is to be technically or stylistically profient on a musical instrument.

2. This term also has a double meaning. If a drummer is said to "have chops" or "be working on his chops," it refers to technical abilities, such as speed, dexterity, the ability to play lots of notes in fills, etc. No particular style is involved: Jazz, rock, or any other type of drummers might have "chops." If a drummer is said to be playing with a lot of chops, that means that he is playing a fairly busy part, with a lot of notes. ...

It's not really the muscles, but the skill involved in general.

notoriousnumber
07-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Just thought of this one:

"Woah man, your shredding that board like Vai on mahogony dust."

:vhan:

JustinYap
08-14-2006, 03:13 AM
what's it called when you n someone else are soloin, and then u do a little bit of a solo, and the other dude kinda "answers back" with another bit. what do u call that??

ridcullylives
08-14-2006, 12:52 PM
^^ In jazz and whatnot when you trade solos it's called "trading fours" (or eights, or twos, or ones, or tens, or w/e) because it's often one person solos over four measures then the next person takes four, and etc. etc.

But if you are clueless as to measures or if you're not doing it by measure, you could just call it...trading off, I guess.

z4twenny
08-14-2006, 01:00 PM
i think the ideology behind what justin yap is referring to is considered a 'call and response' type solo or a 'question and answer' it's a really good basic way to compose or improv a solo and is used by lots of musicians and can be used by just one person, not necessarily 2.

MuzzleFlash
09-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Hard tail

Tremelo

bangoodcharlote
09-20-2006, 04:45 PM
what's it called when you n someone else are soloin, and then u do a little bit of a solo, and the other dude kinda "answers back" with another bit. what do u call that?? A "duel" or "call and answer."

Hard tail

Tremelo Hard Tail-Fixed Bridge, no whammy bar

Tremolo-A rapid fluctuation in volume. This is used a lot in surf music. Many people refer to their whammy bars as tremolo bars. This is misleading. The Bar changes pitch, not volume. You should call the bar a vibrato bar or a whammy bar, or even simply bar.

George898
09-24-2006, 10:40 AM
what are eights?

bangoodcharlote
09-24-2006, 11:45 AM
what are eights? An 8th note is a type of rhythm. There are 8 eighth notes in a measure of 4/4.

benyard123
09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Caging the fretboard?

feltgrape
09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
what are eights?

There are 4 quarter notes in a 4/4 bar, there are 2 8th notes in a quarter note.
So when you tap your foot, 1 2 3 4. For 8th notes you would go.

1 and 2 and 3 and 4.

The 1,2,3,4 is still landing in the exact same spots, but your picking notes in between them.

benyard123
09-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Lol and here's a correct definition -

Chops

1. Ability to play an instrument. To have great chops is to be technically or stylistically profient on a musical instrument.

2. This term also has a double meaning. If a drummer is said to "have chops" or "be working on his chops," it refers to technical abilities, such as speed, dexterity, the ability to play lots of notes in fills, etc. No particular style is involved: Jazz, rock, or any other type of drummers might have "chops." If a drummer is said to be playing with a lot of chops, that means that he is playing a fairly busy part, with a lot of notes. ...

It's not really the muscles, but the skill involved in general.
#1 is dead on. #2...I don't know about drums so I can't add anything but the term chops was first coined by the Jazz guys. They would play the melody of the song and then the members of the band would get a chance to do a break...or an improve on their instrument. Their skill on their instrument was evaluataed as chops. That was a good answer Dude...help me out with this. I want to understand it and where can I get it in terms of theory about the cage system? Anyone? I had this music teacher that was going to teach me but all he really did was show off how well he could play the guitar. He wasn't that good and he was a dickhead. Another thing...what is the rule of thirds? Thanks

Freepower
09-27-2006, 01:53 PM
^ jazz guys did start the chops thing. It comes from your literal "chops" on your face - which became very well developed when one played enough jazz saxophone/trumpet/general wind or brass. :)

corinne_123
09-29-2006, 11:50 PM
um...what is a lick?

benyard123
09-30-2006, 01:29 AM
um...what is a lick?
it's a musical phrase that's universally excepted as being cool.

benyard123
09-30-2006, 01:31 AM
what iS the rule of thirds???? ANYONE??????

benyard123
09-30-2006, 01:34 AM
um...what is a lick?
It's also used a lot in ice cream cones.

jaymrock741
10-16-2006, 04:24 PM
How Do you have a bass and guitar battle wat are some goood song tabs to use or something

MuzzleFlash
10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
Sustain?

Range?

riFfmAster508
10-17-2006, 11:34 PM
I keep hearing terms that describe amp and pedal sounds such as "thin, fuzzy, warm, thick, muddy(and any others i left out)", can someone please describe what these sound like, and what is sustain?

Nautaflcl
10-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Um, i feel a bit dum asking, but was is a lick, as i'm not too confident in the answer that was given, it was incredibly short and not specific, and what is a riff?

bangoodcharlote
10-17-2006, 11:49 PM
Sustain? It's when you play a note and it lasts a long time. A note with a lot of sustain will last a long time and sound clear (Santana). A note with little sustain will fade out quickly.

Um, i feel a bit dum asking, but was is a lick, as i'm not too confident in the answer that was given, it was incredibly short and not specific, and what is a riff? There are no set guidelines, but I use riff to describe a rhythm passage and lick to describe a lead passage.

Riff-"Walk This Way"
Lick-The part of "Sweet Child" where the solo gets a little nastier.

PinkFloyd73
10-18-2006, 04:58 PM
whats minamalism?

benyard123
10-19-2006, 03:28 AM
It's when you play a note and it lasts a long time. A note with a lot of sustain will last a long time and sound clear (Santana). A note with little sustain will fade out quickly.

There are no set guidelines, but I use riff to describe a rhythm passage and lick to describe a lead passage.

Riff-"Walk This Way"
Lick-The part of "Sweet Child" where the solo gets a little nastier.
good answer dude, and Nautaflcl...go find a book with licks in it you dumb fu-k. Lady Madona, Purple Haze, Pretty Woman...all these are licks. A lick is a musical phrase that is universally accepted by the masses as being the sh-t. Lick this you dumb sh-t!

benyard123
10-19-2006, 03:33 AM
What's the rule of thirds ???? Smart guy's...Huh?

night_elf2004
10-29-2006, 06:50 PM
what are semitones? and what is the differance between Flat and Sharp and what is this "theory" i keep hearing about

blackhorsemen
10-29-2006, 07:02 PM
what is a "key"

pnoy_sk8er21
10-29-2006, 07:16 PM
semitones are 1 fret between each note. like on the low E string, the first fret is F. the second is the semitone, F#, then the third is G. two frets are tones, while 1 fret is a semitone.

blackhorsemen
10-29-2006, 07:20 PM
semitones are 1 fret between each note. like on the low E string, the first fret is F. the second is the semitone, F#, then the third is G. two frets are tones, while 1 fret is a semitone.
what is a key

night_elf2004
11-06-2006, 10:27 PM
i guess i get no answer ok

night_elf2004
12-10-2006, 11:49 PM
i have a couple of things i need a answer for like what does it mean on a guitar to have "a fast neck" like what does bolt on and a guitar having jumbo frets

Angusman60
12-21-2006, 01:40 PM
This thread is a good idea, I'll add a few!

Feedback -
The hum you get when a string vibrates for a while, the note stops and then you get this OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sound that lasts forever until you touch the string. This sound is typically achived by standing right in front of your amplifier (with your guitar facing it) with high gain. This sound can be a very useful tool once you figure it all out, but can be very annoying to listeners who hear this screaching noise for a long time. I'm not TOO sure on how the science of this works, but I can guess that the note goes out of your amp, and then your pickups pickup its own noise, and this happens repeatedly; ultimately giving you a humming sound.

its actualy in technical terms when the sound coming from your amp loops throught the guitar and comes out the amp again

psycho78
12-21-2006, 05:25 PM
what are semitones? and what is the differance between Flat and Sharp and what is this "theory" i keep hearing about

the answer you got for semitones is right on...one fret is equal to one half-step or one semitone. "flat" refers to lowering a note one semitone..C to B (which is Cb enharmonically-just another name the note goes by). "sharp" is raising a note one semitone..C to C# (or Db). the best definition i can give for music theory is that it is the study of the roles notes, intervals, scales, key sigs, time sigs, etc. play in composing music, and explains why some things work well together & some don't.

you're doing yourself a huge favor if you learn theory. it has cleared up so many things i didn't understand previously. :)

prayforsin69
12-21-2006, 10:53 PM
2 questions... i dont know if they have been asked yet i didnt want ot have to go through all 8 pages but what is loop? like in a loop pedal- and also what is reverb like through a pedal as well. what effect would that give you?

guitartilldeath
12-22-2006, 04:47 AM
What's the difference between a phaser and a flanger?

mothership
12-22-2006, 06:26 AM
wow.. this is a nice thread..

so what is fluttering??