Is it just me..

PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me..

joehhy
07-15-2009, 07:02 PM
..Or is Tomas Kalnoky overrated?

For those who don't know, Kalnoky played guitar and sang for Gimp (at age 16 i believe), Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution, Catch-22, and currently Streetlight Manifesto.

Dont get me wrong, Streetlight and BOTAR are great (Although im not a huge fan of his other works), but some people i know seem to worship him. Am I the only one who doesnt?

RizzoWashburn
07-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Who cares, those bands suck.

werty22
07-15-2009, 08:36 PM
If he was overrated, I probably would have heard of him.

And I agree with Rizzo.

MattsRichardson
07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
not a big fan of any ska vocals tbh..dig the music, but not vocals...

SKAtastic7770
07-15-2009, 09:15 PM
His vocals are not great, but his songwriting is. Fantastic lyricist. Keasbey Nights is still probably the best third wave album of all time.

BR0KENHEARTED
07-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Keasbey Nights is still probably the best third wave album of all time.

Are you high?

SKAtastic7770
07-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Are you high?
No I don't think so. Have you ever listened to it? Its brilliant. ANd I can't think of another album that out does it.

joehhy
07-15-2009, 09:28 PM
No I don't think so. Have you ever listened to it? Its brilliant. ANd I can't think of another album that out does it.
I think Somewhere in the Between is better..

SKAtastic7770
07-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I think Somewhere in the Between is better..
Personally, I think both Everything Goes Numb, and Catch 22's keasbey nights are far better than Somewhere In Between. Some great lyrics in that album, but I find that it really isn't ska anymore.

joehhy
07-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Personally, I think both Everything Goes Numb, and Catch 22's keasbey nights are far better than Somewhere In Between. Some great lyrics in that album, but I find that it really isn't ska anymore.
I kinda like that it isnt ''pure ska.'' Its different.

BR0KENHEARTED
07-15-2009, 09:39 PM

Don't lie baby :rasta:

joehhy
07-15-2009, 09:42 PM
then br0ken, whats your favorite 3rd wave ska album?

charliezard!
07-15-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that he would annoy me to no end if I met him, and I really don't like his vocals or the style of music, but he's a crazy good songwriter.

axeslash
07-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Fuck it. I finally have to download Streetlight Manifesto and Catch-22 so I can see what all the kids are clamoring over. And then, depending on how much they suck/don't suck I may post in this thread to let you all know of my findings.

BR0KENHEARTED
07-15-2009, 11:18 PM
then br0ken, whats your favorite 3rd wave ska album?

Slime Of The Neighborhood

charliezard!
07-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Fuck it. I finally have to download Streetlight Manifesto and Catch-22 so I can see what all the kids are clamoring over. And then, depending on how much they suck/don't suck I may post in this thread to let you all know of my findings.

They're good if you get over how lame they are. I never listen to them anymore, but friends of mine do, and it's pretty enjoyable when I'm in their car or whatever.

BR0KENHEARTED
07-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Matthew I doubt you'll like it. I've always found for you to have good taste.

I'm such an asshole.

RizzoWashburn
07-15-2009, 11:57 PM
Pointing out the obvious doesn't make you an asshole.

pinheadslts75
07-16-2009, 01:41 AM
I don't really care for 3rd wave.

Greenfinger182
07-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I always had major respect for him as a composer, since a lot of the songs are actually somewhat complex from a musicianship perspective. Recently I had heard, however, that he usually just makes up the basic harmony and sometimes melody of the song, and then the brass/reed players just kind of take it and add in their parts together. If that's so, then yeah, he's not so special.

kayaress one
07-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Kanolky's my least favorite member of the band, he sings like a douche. I like the big, gorilla-looking black guy who plays trumpet, and the drummer is amazing.

joehhy
07-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Kanolky's my least favorite member of the band, he sings like a douche. I like the big, gorilla-looking black guy who plays trumpet, and the drummer is amazing.
The drummer is amazing. I personally think the bassist is great.

-Ru-
07-16-2009, 03:26 PM
The current Bassist is crazy good. Although I believe this is their second one they're both great.

konfyouzd
07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
If he was overrated, I probably would have heard of him.

QFT

Greenfinger182
07-16-2009, 03:28 PM
I had a friend who was a music major in college for trombone, and his teacher (who played in some sort of big symphony I guess) held SLM's trombonist as one of the best around today, as far as just writing trombone lines for songs. Especially in "Would You Be Impress?", from what I hear.

So yeah, the band has a lot of talent in it, no doubt.

And when I met the trombonist he was pretty ****ing cool too, so that helps.

charliezard!
07-16-2009, 04:28 PM
I always had major respect for him as a composer, since a lot of the songs are actually somewhat complex from a musicianship perspective. Recently I had heard, however, that he usually just makes up the basic harmony and sometimes melody of the song, and then the brass/reed players just kind of take it and add in their parts together. If that's so, then yeah, he's not so special.

Really? I always assumed he arranged the music. There's a lot more complexity in his music, especially in the newer albums, than other ska bands, so I always respected that.

joehhy
07-16-2009, 09:10 PM
The only dude from a ska band ive ever met was Rick Johnson of Mustard Plug. He was pretty cool.

axeslash
07-16-2009, 10:50 PM
I met Dick Lucas. Way cooler than anyone else in 3rd wave ska.

kayaress one
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
The only dude from a ska band ive ever met was Rick Johnson of Mustard Plug. He was pretty cool.
Rick Johnson is such a nice guy. I've met him at two Mustard Plug shows and he's just really cool with everyone, he isn't just talking you up to get you to buy merch. One of the only succesful musicians I've had an honest conversation with.

joehhy
07-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Rick Johnson is such a nice guy. I've met him at two Mustard Plug shows and he's just really cool with everyone, he isn't just talking you up to get you to buy merch. One of the only succesful musicians I've had an honest conversation with.
yeah, it really makes me respect mustard plug more than other bands who just want you to spend money on their merch

axeslash
07-17-2009, 08:28 PM
So I downloaded some Catch 22 and some Streetlight Manifesto.

Before I criticize the bands musically, let me criticize that motherfucker for thinking that it is acceptable to rerecord an album with your new band. Seriously, what the hell? I suspect he's the kind of guy with an ego so big he thinks people want to re-hear an album that doesn't introduce anything new, just kinda played differently. What an asshole.

Musically they both suck, and I can't tell the difference between either one.

And Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution? Oh hey, it looks like he rerecorded some more songs. I'm noticing a pattern here.

charliezard!
07-17-2009, 08:47 PM

Before I criticize the bands musically, let me criticize that motherfucker for thinking that it is acceptable to rerecord an album with your new band. Seriously, what the hell? I suspect he's the kind of guy with an ego so big he thinks people want to re-hear an album that doesn't introduce anything new, just kinda played differently. What an asshole.

And Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution? Oh hey, it looks like he rerecorded some more songs. I'm noticing a pattern here.

Well, they're practically the same band.

SKAtastic7770
07-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Well, they're practically the same band.
Yeah old catch and streetlight are supposed to be like the same band.

BostonLacrosse
07-17-2009, 11:53 PM

haha i agree about Tom being an asshole and i think Collin feels the same way, glad to see an unbiased opinion on it

RockThe40oz
07-18-2009, 07:26 AM
What do you mean unbiased? Axe hates everything by default.

kayaress one
07-18-2009, 04:18 PM
What do you mean unbiased? Axe hates everything by default.
:haha: So true.

axeslash
07-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Fine by me if you guys wanna be dicks while you call me a dick.

RockThe40oz
07-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Fine by me if you guys wanna be dicks while you call me a dick.
I thought that was the attitude you were going for, honestly.

:shrug:

Besides, it was just a joke, not to be taken seriously.

axeslash
07-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I thought that was the attitude you were going for, honestly.

:shrug:

Besides, it was just a joke, not to be taken seriously.I was just hoping you'd go on one of your sarcasm-ridden tirades.

joehhy
07-19-2009, 12:29 AM
i lol'd @ the last few posts