Andrew Jackson Jihad - Can't Maintain

PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Jackson Jihad - Can't Maintain

Greenfinger182
07-16-2009, 11:51 PM
The album doesn't release until September but it leaked, so I'm starting a thread for it now.

I really like it.

Pros
-Typical catchy songs
-Varied Instrumentation
-Usual Strange/Depressing lyrics are present, along with they usual "maybe a bit too emotion" lyrics
-A bit of growth on some songs
-Some nice orchestral touches
-There's a song ****ing called "Kazoo Sonata in C Major"

Cons
-Songs are still kind of sounding the same/like other previous ones
-Varied Instrumentation
-Certain progressions seem familiar...tying in with point 1
-Some songs seem pointless, but maybe I'm shallow

So yeah, you should definitely check it out.

And before someone's all like hey...you listed varied instrumentation in both parts...I just feel like sometimes they need nothing more than the guitar and UR Bass. I like the instruments in some songs, but they're not always necessary. I still really like they songs they turned into mini-orchestral type of bouts :)

charliezard!
07-17-2009, 05:17 AM
I always enjoyed their songs, but can't stand their "humor." Some of it is pretty alright, but I got sick of it after a while.

Is it more mature at all? Or at least funnier?

RockThe40oz
07-17-2009, 07:21 AM
never got into them, but a lot of my friends love them.. maybe I'm just missing something.

kayaress one
07-17-2009, 11:08 AM
It leaked? Guess I'll check it out then. Love their other stuff.

Greenfinger182
07-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Yeah, search it in google, it's there
I always enjoyed their songs, but can't stand their "humor." Some of it is pretty alright, but I got sick of it after a while.

Is it more mature at all? Or at least funnier?
After getting to listen to it a bit more, it's definitely a bit more mature. Also, they've basically removed the humor...unless you find it funny how they sing about certain things, I guess. No direct humor, however, nothing put in just for the sake of being funny.

They made some really ****ing touching songs, actually, that's why I say it's more mature. "Love in the time of Human Papillomavirus" and "White Face, Black Eyes" especially surprised me.

The majority of the album is just damn emotional...I mean, you've heard their other stuff. Emotional in a really ****ed up way, if you know what I mean. If you like their other stuff, there's no way you won't like this, but I don't doubt it'll gain some new fans. They've injected a few more songs that are just meant to be 'rock' I suppose...a couple with electric guitar rather than their traditional all-acoustic bits.

I also appreciated the one or two songs dedicated just to the punk scene in general, especially "We Didn't Come Here to Rock."

I_Pwn
07-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Stoked for this

charliezard!
07-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Just listened to the whole thing. Really liked it, actually. I always liked AJJ's music, but the lyrics were always a hit or miss, but I really enjoyed them all this time. Good find.

BostonLacrosse
07-17-2009, 11:37 PM
this sounds interesting!

Greenfinger182
07-20-2009, 11:26 AM
A female friend of mine just started listening to this yesterday and claims it's changed her life a little bit.

Just to put it out there.

I_Pwn
07-20-2009, 11:16 PM
So this is really good, I especially like the use of the horns. The two songs with electric instruments are weird in context of everything else from AJJ, but are awesome regardless.

BostonLacrosse
07-21-2009, 12:39 AM
man i need to get my computer fixed, ive been on my folks computer for the past month and my step dad has a bunch of stupid download blockers and i really want to listen to this.... oh well i will see them in like 12-14 days so that will have to do

charliezard!
07-21-2009, 12:58 AM
I really like We Didn't Come Here to Rock.

Mr_Jubby_Jubs
07-21-2009, 06:09 AM
Excellent album. I'll try and make sure I buy it when its realeased.

xX*Zeppelin*Xx
07-21-2009, 07:47 AM
Cool, I didn't know that they had an album out this year, but I think I'll just wait and buy it.

BostonLacrosse
08-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Just saw these guys today and the played through the entire album and then played some of their hits. I bought the album and listened to it on my drive home, i really liked it, its really short and fast and im going to have to listen to the lyrics a little bit more but im looking forward to that. Live these guys were great, really funny and comfortable, they mentioned something about a house show tonight but they didnt say where. But yea really good stuff, the album for now gets my stamp of approval

charliezard!
08-02-2009, 11:15 PM
I've been enjoying this more and more since I got it. I think it's my favorite release by them.

Greenfinger182
08-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Just saw these guys today and the played through the entire album and then played some of their hits. I bought the album and listened to it on my drive home, i really liked it, its really short and fast and im going to have to listen to the lyrics a little bit more but im looking forward to that. Live these guys were great, really funny and comfortable, they mentioned something about a house show tonight but they didnt say where. But yea really good stuff, the album for now gets my stamp of approval
Where are you? They played a basement show in Pittsburgh about a week ago, it was great. And yeah, both really down-to-earth guys. I had to buy that weird CD they had out on their merch table, where the cover made them look like 2 gangster rappers...I had never seen it before. Operation something or other.

BostonLacrosse
08-03-2009, 12:35 PM
I live just south of Boston and they played at The middle east night club in boston. They had that cd for sale but i bought the cant mantain and the only god can judge me record. I was hoping they would have the ajj pillow case (http://www.silversprocket.net/blog/?p=1757) but they didnt :/

Greenfinger182
08-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh my ****. That is the most awesome thing I have ever seen. Ever.

bucketned
08-04-2009, 03:06 AM
I live just south of Boston and they played at The middle east night club in boston. They had that cd for sale but i bought the cant mantain and the only god can judge me record. I was hoping they would have the ajj pillow case (http://www.silversprocket.net/blog/?p=1757) but they didnt :/

hahaha "never sleep alone, never get laid!"

bad_boys181
08-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Stoked for this

www.myspace.com/titlefight

lookpizza
04-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Bumping this cause its the only thread I found with AJJ in the title.. anyways I hadn't listened to them in a while and I put the Ghostmice + AJJ split on for a metaphorical spin and now I haven't listened to any other bands for a day... and that's quite the f*cking record for me.

I_Pwn
04-14-2010, 06:57 PM
www.myspace.com/titlefight

I don't get it.

captain_jack
04-14-2010, 08:16 PM
I love this album! "White Face, Black Eyes" actually gets me kinda teary-eyed at the part where the strings come in.

lolmnt
04-14-2010, 09:46 PM
This album is really, really good.

RizzoWashburn
04-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Love In The Time Of Human Papillomavirus is my favorite AJJ song period.

lookpizza
04-14-2010, 11:12 PM
and i'd like to build a giant machine
that crushes the mountains and burns all the trees
and pees in the desert and dies up the seas
and melts all the ice caps and makes nature bleed
cause i want nature to suffer
and i want nature to cry
and i want nature to spit in my mouth
and i want nature to die
and i want to be a big ball of meat
that bees can buzz around and eat
and feast on my liver and rot out my teeth
and chew on my eyeballs until i'm deceased
cause i deserve displeasure
and i really want to cry
and i think you should spit in my face
because i am a werewolf

punkforlife93
04-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Bought the new album. Bad Bad Things is still my fave song though.

saxaxe
04-15-2010, 12:07 PM
I don't think they'll ever top People that can Eat. Quite possibly my favorite album of all time. Can't Maintain is great too though.

UntoExistence
04-15-2010, 01:42 PM
cuz god created puppy dogs and god created kittens!

punkrockdoc
04-16-2010, 12:52 AM
i like it, but not as much as their earlier releases. i didn't feel as genuine as their other records. still good, but not as into it

di4gram
04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
and i think you should spit in my face
because i am a werewolf
lol! Random

edit: I have to say that I'm not especially experienced with this band, but I've been pointed to a couple of their songs and they came off as art-faggish so I didn't really give them a chance. Is there anything that will change my mind?

lookpizza
04-30-2010, 01:58 PM
lol! Random

edit: I have to say that I'm not especially experienced with this band, but I've been pointed to a couple of their songs and they came off as art-faggish so I didn't really give them a chance. Is there anything that will change my mind?

:wtf:

di4gram
04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
:wtf:

That doesn't really help me out much. The couple of songs I was pointed to sounded contrived and pretentious. Where can I find stuff that wouldn't come across as that?

lookpizza
04-30-2010, 04:00 PM
That doesn't really help me out much. The couple of songs I was pointed to sounded contrived and pretentious. Where can I find stuff that wouldn't come across as that?

Yea I really don't understand that though, they are pretty much the opposite of pretentious.. they are extremely inclusive lyrically and idealistically.

Greenfinger182
05-02-2010, 04:03 PM
What were the songs?