Public domain jazz/blues pieces?

PDA

View Full Version : Public domain jazz/blues pieces?

ReChord
07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Hello all,
So I am whipping up an album just for the hell of it, not to sell or anything, just to have. And I don't really have enough original material for it to be a full album, and need one or two more songs. What I was wondering is, with the really old jazz and blues pieces, do copyrights still apply?

I realize that since I'm not gonna sell it then no one would probably care, but I was just curious.

I mean, if I wanted to play a Robert Johnson piece then I know his estate still exists and i would have to pay royalties, but what about other blues pieces from that time? And are standards still covered? The jazz standards like "Stardust" or "Round Midnight" have been recording hundreds of times by hundreds of people...so are they essentially public domain or do every one of those artists pay to be able to record those?

And since I am making a thread anyway, do you guys have any public domain or songs that are allowed to be recorded that you guys like alot?

Thanks,
ReChord

pak1351
07-17-2009, 09:53 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20750254#post20750254
that's a good read, post 5 talks about the length of copyright. I'm sure there are many exceptions, but it's a start

ReChord
07-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks man, didn't even know that existed.