Looking For Some Acoustic Slide Blues

PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Some Acoustic Slide Blues

Artemis Entreri
07-19-2009, 01:27 PM
In the title. I'm looking for more slide blues since it's really becoming a favorite and I don't have much. I went through the recommended artists but didn't find much. I already have lots of Elmore James, and all of Johnson's stuff, slide or not. I also have a fair bit of Ry Cooder, even though I'm not really a fan of his stuff.

So... I know there's a world of slide out there that's unknown to me. Any recommendations?

iplayguitaralot
07-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Red Rooster - Howlin Wolf
Kind Hearted Woman - Duster Bennet & Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green's)
Coming, I'm Coming - Duster Bennet & Fleetwood
Do You Give a Damn For Me? - Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac
Talk to Me Baby - Peter Green & Fleetwood Mac

Just a few starting points, I'm sure Derek Trucks has some cool stuff out there, Joe Walsh too, hopefully that helped a little

A Rolling Stone
07-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Try In My Time of Dying. A great traditional song, and there's a million different arrangements to choose from.

EDIT:
+1 to Derek Trucks.
And maybe Duane Allman, Statesboro Blues anyone?

cornmancer
07-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes Duane and Derek, I don't care if they're usually electric they're awesome.

slidething31
07-19-2009, 03:16 PM
If you can find the Duane Allman Anthology albums, they have a fair amount of acoustic playing by duane

ze monsta
07-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Son House
Blind Willie Johnson
Booker White
Tampa Red
Keb' Mo'
Muddy Waters

ReChord
07-19-2009, 10:29 PM
A really easy and really fun song is "Rollin' and Tumblin'", chances are you've already learned or played it...but its catchy and fun, and its really easy to improv to.

Erasmo.Tiruri
07-20-2009, 09:58 AM
Muddy Waters and Duane Allman are my favs. Since I'm looking for something similar, I'm adding some Booker White and Blind Willie Johnson stuff to my wish list.

Zoot Allures
07-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Seasick steve

Son House

Big Joe Williams

JilaX^
07-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Skip James is an absolute must.

Marcos Zarevich
07-20-2009, 12:46 PM
talking about slide guitar, though they don't play blues specifically you should take a listen to the John Butler trio and Xavier Rudd

Jazz Funeral
07-22-2009, 03:13 AM
You could check out:

Johnny Winter
Chris Whitley
Jeff Lang
Bonnie Raitt (early 70's stuff)
Ben Harper
Chris Thomas King
John Mayall

They've all recorded some slide acoustic blues at some point. There's other rewards to be found in there too.

willwelsh816
07-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Muddy Waters - I can't be Satisfied

it's in Open G. Once you know this one, you know most Muddy songs

fattypumbaa
07-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Mississippi Fred McDowell

carmour
07-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Muddy Waters - I can't be Satisfied

it's in Open G. Once you know this one, you know most Muddy songs

I wouldnt say most muddy songs :P; but most acoustic solo pieces of him

leeb rocks
07-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Bob Brozman is one of th best acoustic blues players around today and he has insane skill with a slide.

I would recommend 'Live, now' but any album should showcase his slide playing (careful though, a lot of it is world music rather than blues, the blues ones usually have blues in the title somewhere)

carmour
07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
meet me at the bottom is a pretty decent song, mix of slide/finger

Derek and
08-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Eric Clapton actually plays slide really well. He has some standard blues tunes where he uses the slide, and it's awesome. The singing aswell. And it's clapton all alone.

I know it's not acoustic, but still, the Derek and the dominos album is, atleast to me, the greatest record where slide is a big part of it. If you havent heard it, i bet you have, check it out

imgooley
08-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Son House
Blind Willie Johnson
Booker White
Tampa Red
Keb' Mo'
Muddy Waters
Don't forget Alvin Youngblood Hart, Black Ace, Blind Willie McTell, Corey Harris, Booker/Bukka White, Mance Lipscomb, Johnny Shines, and Furry Lewis.

Venice King
08-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Eric Clapton actually plays slide really well. He has some standard blues tunes where he uses the slide, and it's awesome. The singing aswell. And it's clapton all alone.

I know it's not acoustic, but still, the Derek and the dominos album is, atleast to me, the greatest record where slide is a big part of it. If you havent heard it, i bet you have, check it out
kinda related...the first thing that came to my head was this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1r1PrJ_rsk
Eric Clapton feat. Duane Allman - Mean Old World

Derek and
08-01-2009, 02:26 PM
kinda related...the first thing that came to my head was this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1r1PrJ_rsk
Eric Clapton feat. Duane Allman - Mean Old World

I have actually never heard that tracks, nice link, thanks !

I was going more like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZqmvSOIflE

To me it's fantastic stuff

Axegrinder#9
08-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I would highly recommend this guitar player, Harry Manx - he blends the delta from the US, with sounds of the Indian delta ragas. young inspiring cat!