Playing Deathcore?

PDA

View Full Version : Playing Deathcore?

dudetheman
07-19-2009, 07:12 PM
So, a new friend of mine is a drummer but he only does Deathcore....

...I only do blues/blues-rock/thrash/groove metal...

So, I guess what I'm asking is, how do I play Deathcore?!?!

I can't find anything online. Are there any specific tunings/techniques I need to use?

LegsOnEarth
07-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Tune real low and chug like **** (Listen to Suicide Silence and youre on the right road)

JBizzle Da Truf
07-19-2009, 07:18 PM
slam your hands against your guitar strings as hard as you can. seriously though, you should try to incorporate your thrash and groove metal background.

dfinch10
07-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Deathcore guitar playing is composed of mostly very rhythmic, palm muted guitar riffs. Detuned guitars are common, however NOT essential (see Winds of Plague). Slower sections known as breakdowns are also VERY common.

GodofCheesecake
07-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Don't listen to advice anyone gives you for playing a certain style of music. Just listen to the music genre you're interested in mimicking, do a little research into how bands you find and like developed their style, and then play it how YOU want to play it. Also, don't play a style of music if you have no personal interest in it.

EDIT: okay, this is very important. Don't decide what type of music you're going to play and then just implement techniques you HEAR it uses. YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.

Bands to check out: Born of Osiris (mostly the first album, the New Reign), Veil of Maya, Whitechapel, Despised Icon, After the Burial.

If you're not as good at guitar or into simpler stuff, try Carnifex, Suicide Silence, or Winds of Plague.

destroy_techno
07-19-2009, 07:20 PM
For generic deathcore tune to drop A and play some bland chromatic riffs and then chug out some powerchords in low tempos

Religulous
07-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Just overuse breakdowns... and make sure you dress like a wigger. That is the key. (See Winds of Plague's singer.) I do have their cd in my library, because they are one of the talented deathcore bands... :P The singer is just... Too wanna be gangsta for me. Either that or you dress emo and try to pull off some vocals which you should have learned from Melissa Cross but got confused and tried to sound like a pig while also damaging your vocal cords. :(

GodofCheesecake
07-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Tune real low and chug like **** (Listen to Suicide Silence and youre on the right road)
For generic deathcore tune to drop A and play some bland chromatic riffs and then chug out some powerchords in low tempos
Just overuse breakdowns... and make sure you dress like a wigger. That is the key. (See Winds of Plague's singer.) I do have their cd in my library, because they are one of the talented deathcore bands... :P The singer is just... Too wanna be gangsta for me. Either that or you dress emo and try to pull off some vocals which you should have learned from Melissa Cross but got confused and tried to sound like a pig while also damaging your vocal cords. :confused:

This is why I hate these threads.

Veil Of Osiris
07-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Learn the Harmonic Minor scale. Roughly follow it, don't be afraid to go out of the scale every now and then.

Most Deathcore bands tune down (Impending Doom and Suicide Silence even got 7 strings and tuned those down), but you don't have to.

Just listen to a few Death Metal/Deathcore/Metalcore bands to get some influence, but try not to copy them.

One very common flaw in Deathcore is the over usage of breakdowns; know when to use them and when not to.

I would recommend checking out Born Of Osiris, Beneath The Massacre, Veil of Maya, and Whitechapel.

Also, try to incorporate your "blues/blues-rock/thrash/groove metal" influence. Be original.

Good luck with it.

SeveredSurvival
07-19-2009, 08:35 PM
What VOF said basically.

Element8923
07-20-2009, 01:26 AM
I would tune down to Drop C or D and play some real fast palm muted sloppy blues riffs off pattern also. Lol, just do some basic powerchords and shuffle quickly and make sure you have someone who can scream.

And screaming doesn't damage your vocal chords unless you do not know how to do it right.

)Eric(Draven
07-20-2009, 01:53 AM

This is why I hate these threads.
To be fair, this kind of thing should be a lesson. No, you don't ever really get good advice. But if you're trying to play music that you care about, write whatever comes out of you, don't assimilate. If your goal is to learn how to play a certain style then you will be thrown to the wayside. If you have absolutely no ambition, this is fine. But if you want to play shows that you care about then you can't do this.

3rdActguitarist
07-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Try to be inovative. Why not incorporate your interests with your drummer's interests? If you're willing to learn to play deathcore for him, shouldn't he learn to play whatever genre you're interested in also? Try merging your interests and see what happens.

If your just starting deathcore, here's a list of decent bands you should listen to (and I'm going to list these in order of easiest to most difficult IMO):

Bring Me the Horizon (Pray For Plagues album)
Carnifex
Emmure
ABACABB
As Blood Runs Black
Winds of Plague
Born of Osiris
Wretched (riffs aren't too hard, but their tremelo parts are beast)
Veil of Maya
Within the Ruins
The Faceless (not really deathcore, but still a great listen)

technicolour
07-20-2009, 09:57 AM
just play groove and thrash riffs, it's practically the same thing

PhobiXa
07-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Tell your friend that he is a homo and just play thrash and groove riffs. so much better.

if you must play deathcore then at least try to incorporate some of your previous knowledge into it.

actually. just tune down to drop a and play thrash riffs.

handbanana
07-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Tell your friend that he is a homo and just play thrash and groove riffs. so much better.

if you must play deathcore then at least try to incorporate some of your previous knowledge into it.

actually. just tune down to drop a and play thrash riffs.

i like this guy

RentACar
07-20-2009, 12:33 PM
The first step in playing good Deathcore (or any core) is incorporating elements from all of your influences.
Its possible to incorporate blues, and especially thrash riffs but if you want the "deathcore" sound, just tune low (Drop C and lower) and find a chugging pattern and slap a descending scale riff.

BGSM
07-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Don't be stuck playing a generic sound, just play whatever sounds good which might be groove metal riffs with deathcore-like drums.

Gibson_SG_uzr55
07-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Listen to some deatchore stuff your friend has to get an idea, and you can incorporate your thrash/groove influences into your music.

Dregen
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Don't listen to advice anyone gives you for playing a certain style of music. Just listen to the music genre you're interested in mimicking, do a little research into how bands you find and like developed their style, and then play it how YOU want to play it. Also, don't play a style of music if you have no personal interest in it.

EDIT: okay, this is very important. Don't decide what type of music you're going to play and then just implement techniques you HEAR it uses. YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.

Bands to check out: Born of Osiris (mostly the first album, the New Reign), Veil of Maya, Whitechapel, Despised Icon, After the Burial.

If you're not as good at guitar or into simpler stuff, try Carnifex, Suicide Silence, or Winds of Plague.

Listen to this man. He's actually smart and knows what he's talking about, unlike the majority of the people who post in these kind of threads (flamers).

Also, if you want a decent deathcore band to listen to, try Glass Casket.

Dregen
07-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Or instead of playing straight-up deathcore, you could somehow blend you blues and rock background with deathcore drumming... That'd be kind of cool.

EDIT: I looked at your avatar, and it kind of surprised me that someone with a Hendrix avatar would want to play deathcore :p:

Bignose
07-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Well as far as tuning goes, shave off your mids and crank your lows and highs straight up.

That said, anyone know any good tuning for solos?

MustangMan311
07-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Well as far as tuning goes, shave off your mids and crank your lows and highs straight up.

That said, anyone know any good tuning for solos?
What the ****? That's not a tuning.

Bignose
07-21-2009, 01:22 AM
What the ****? That's not a tuning.

****, my bad... meant set your amp to that... thing... i'm gonna go hide now :(

Dregen
07-21-2009, 03:48 AM
Learn the Harmonic Minor scale. Roughly follow it, don't be afraid to go out of the scale every now and then.

If you want to get out of the harmonic minor scale, try some parallelism. If you don't know what it is, I'll explain.

It's like playing two notes next to each other, moving up or down two steps, and then playing the next two notes up or down.

I find it is used alot in deathcore and atonal music. It can sound cool when used right, and you can also make it sound tonal. It can kinda create a cool 'egyptian' sound. Mix it in with your favorite scale, and you can add an egyptian-esque feel to the original scale.

Examples:

e|--9--10--12--13--15--16-------------------------------------|
B|------------------------------------------------------------|
G|--7-8--10-11------------------------------------------------|
D|--7-8--10-11------------------------------------------------|
A|--5-6---8--9------------------------------------------------|
E|------------------------------------------------------------|

The first example uses the high e string. If you look at the notes, they seem 'parallel' to each other. Just play them and you'll see.

The second example shows the parallelism can be use with chords also.

These next examples are little tricks to spice up your playing a bit.

e|---9t12-8t11-7t10-------9t13-8t12-7t11----------------------|
G|----9-12--8-11----------------------------------------------|
D|---10-10-10-10----------------------------------------------|
A|---11-11-11-11----------------------------------------------|

Next example is once again, on the high E string. Play the first set of trills, note the sound. Seems kind of evil, right? The next set of trills has a similar sound, but a little less evil sounding.

My last example shows another way how you can use parallelism with chords. You keep the two pedal tones (I guess you can call them that) while changing the top string. Sounds weird but it works (and actually makes use of the augmented chord).

If you want the theory part on why parallelism actually works, just post, and I'll explain why. I don't really want to go into another long explanation if noone is going to read it anyways.

ImBarkerRarrrrr
07-21-2009, 11:24 AM
just play in drop B and hold the low E string on the first fret and let the A and D ring out while you mute the whole thing.

thats all that pretty much all wannabe deathcore bands do anymore.

pmeg568c
07-21-2009, 11:39 AM
dude, just listen to the music. how else would you learn?

Veil Of Osiris
07-21-2009, 04:01 PM
just play in drop B and hold the low E string on the first fret and let the A and D ring out while you mute the whole thing.

thats all that pretty much all wannabe deathcore bands do anymore.

Alright, we get it, most Deathcore bands aren't original and suck. Stop thinking your so clever by pointing this out, you're like the 10th person in this thread alone.

Why don't some of you Deathcore-haters try to help the guy instead of giving him bad advice on how to sound the same as every other Deathcore band?

Tallman
07-21-2009, 05:07 PM
If you want to get out of the harmonic minor scale, try some parallelism. If you don't know what it is, I'll explain.

It's like playing two notes next to each other, moving up or down two steps, and then playing the next two notes up or down.

I find it is used alot in deathcore and atonal music. It can sound cool when used right, and you can also make it sound tonal. It can kinda create a cool 'egyptian' sound. Mix it in with your favorite scale, and you can add an egyptian-esque feel to the original scale.

Examples:

e|--9--10--12--13--15--16-------------------------------------|
G|--7-8--10-11------------------------------------------------|
D|--7-8--10-11------------------------------------------------|
A|--5-6---8--9------------------------------------------------|

The first example uses the high e string. If you look at the notes, they seem 'parallel' to each other. Just play them and you'll see.

The second example shows the parallelism can be use with chords also.

These next examples are little tricks to spice up your playing a bit.

e|---9t12-8t11-7t10-------9t13-8t12-7t11----------------------|
G|----9-12--8-11----------------------------------------------|
D|---10-10-10-10----------------------------------------------|
A|---11-11-11-11----------------------------------------------|

Next example is once again, on the high E string. Play the first set of trills, note the sound. Seems kind of evil, right? The next set of trills has a similar sound, but a little less evil sounding.

My last example shows another way how you can use parallelism with chords. You keep the two pedal tones (I guess you can call them that) while changing the top string. Sounds weird but it works (and actually makes use of the augmented chord).

If you want the theory part on why parallelism actually works, just post, and I'll explain why. I don't really want to go into another long explanation if noone is going to read it anyways.

Ive never heard of this "parallelism" before. What you described seems to just be polytonality/half step harmonies.

jonnowev
07-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Just learn how to go:

DUM DUM. DU-DUM-DU-DUM. DUM DUM... DUM DUM. *SQUEAL*

All open string palm-muted. The scene kids will go apeshit. =D

Veil Of Osiris
07-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Just learn how to go:

DUM DUM. DU-DUM-DU-DUM. DUM DUM... DUM DUM. *SQUEAL*

All open string palm-muted. The scene kids will go apeshit. =D

:facepalm:
TS, please just ignore all these comments.

And to the "parallelism", I thought using a parallel scale was like using A Minor and A Major together? That just goes to show how terrible my music theory knowledge is, :haha.

jonnowev
07-21-2009, 05:44 PM
:facepalm:
TS, please just ignore all these comments.

It's called a joke... ;)

boffen
07-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Those saying listen to deathcore and implement your current styles: +1. Creating your own style of an already well-known genre is a good way of keeping your music interesting.

GodofCheesecake
07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
It's called a joke... ;)

Well, yes, using the term loosely. But that's only because something apparently doesn't have to be funny OR original to qualify as a joke.

;)

Dregen
07-21-2009, 08:22 PM
And to the "parallelism", I thought using a parallel scale was like using A Minor and A Major together? That just goes to show how terrible my music theory knowledge is, :haha.

You might be thinking of modal interchange (I heard someone call it that, but I'm not sure if that's the right name for it, anyways....)

You basically have a chord progression, say I IV V (I'm gonna use a C# minor scale as an example, because I'm most familiar with it)..............

I chord - C# minor

IV chord - F# minor

V chord - G# minor

...And then you take the scale's parallel major or minor scale (in this case, the parallel scale would be C# major) and instead of using... say C# minor as your I chord, you take the I chord of the parallel scale (which would be C# major). So your progression would look like this....

I chord - C# major

IV chord - F# minor

V chord - G# minor

You can pretty much do it with any chord in a progression, but I think it's more common with the I, IV, and V chords. You can do this to give a little extra 'flavor' to your music, or you can use it to help change keys.

Hopefully I didn't make any mistakes explaining that, I'll reread it again to make sure.

EDIT: It may be actually called chord substitution or something like that actually. Not sure.