Joe Principe's (Rise Against) Bass Effects/Settings

PDA

View Full Version : Joe Principe's (Rise Against) Bass Effects/Settings

Punk P-Bassist
07-21-2009, 01:26 AM
I know he uses P-Basses tuned half a step down, and a pick, but I was wondering what effects and/or EQ settings, anyone?

P.S. Some songs with noticeable bass bits:

-1000 Good Intentions (Intro/Verses & Bridge)
-The Unraveling (Intro)
-Like The Angel (Intro & Outro)
-To The Core (Bridge)
-Life Less Frightening (Bass Solo/Bridge)
-Blood To Bleed (Intro/Verses)
-Drones (Intro)
-But Tonight We Dance (Intro/Verse 1)
-Long Forgotten Sons (Intro)
-The Dirt Whispered (Intro/Verses)

Any help would be great! :)

pinheadslts75
07-21-2009, 04:44 AM
Seems like he just uses standard gear. As for EQ, it sounds like he's got some of the high end turned up, but I'm **** for picking up on EQ.

He also sounds like he's doing some chord strumming as opposed to just single note lines on a few songs.

Other than that, I'd say just a P-Bass directly through an amp with Mid and Treble heavy EQ.

Punk P-Bassist
07-21-2009, 04:50 AM
Yeah, I knew about the chords (well, on bass they're more like power chords, but I don't know the technical term anyway), but I think you're onto something with the Treble turned up...

badgerific
07-21-2009, 04:54 AM
Picking closer to the bridge may help a little. Other than that I think pinhead is right and it's just a mid/treble boost on the eq.

Punk P-Bassist
07-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Sweet, I was hoping it was that simple :)

pinheadslts75
07-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I knew about the chords (well, on bass they're more like power chords, but I don't know the technical term anyway).

The word you're looking for is Root-Fifth Chords.

Punk P-Bassist
07-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Is it? Cool, didn't know that. Oh, slightly off topic, but what's a chord where both fingers are on the same fret? Umm, example:

(The Unraveling)
Gb|-9-999-9-9-9-7-7-7-7---5-555-5-5-5-4-4-4-4-|
Db|-9-999-9-9-9-7-7-7-7---5-555-5-5-5-4-4-4-4-|
Ab|--------------------------------------------------------|
Eb|--------------------------------------------------------|

werty22
07-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Those are perfect fourth intervals. I wouldn't really call anything a "root-fifth chord." Technically only 2 notes doesn't constitute a chord. It makes more sense just to call them power chords, since that's a widely accepted name for perfect fifths played in that context.

Commodity
07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
In addition to what everyone said, you'll want a touch of distortion.

cybrian
07-26-2009, 04:22 AM
He is pretty famous for using two amps, one clean and one distorted. I think in the studio he also has one shifted ever so slightly towards one channel and another to another. I can sound almost exactly like him by using both a guitar amp with extremely noisy and low-quality distortion and an extremely treble- and mid-heavy EQ on it, and a clean amp with a very bassy EQ. I use a no-name (or technically "Guitar Research," whatever the hell that is) guitar amp for the distortion (and it has built in overdrive that I use) and a Phil Jones Bass Flightcase for my clean amp. I actually just drive the Guitar Research combo through the tuner out of the Flightcase. (If I use the line out, the volume control will alter the signal).