Arsonists Get All The Girls and their new album "Portals"

PDA

View Full Version : Arsonists Get All The Girls and their new album "Portals"

ESPearl
07-21-2009, 02:06 AM
Well I made a post about TBDM so I thought I'd make one about my #2 band... AGATG.

To be honest... I look at Portals with a bit of disgust... they tried WAY TOO HARD to bend genres together. This was executed with perfection in "Shots From The Bow" and beyond perfection in "The Game of Life" even though TGoL was mainly a technical album music wise.
Personally I blame all of this from the loss of AGATGs beloved Cameron. He made AGATG who they are. The 3 most notable things about AGATG was that they basically spliced different genres, their synth player was unbelievable about making them stand out, and Cameron!
Now they have two because their new vocalist is the most generic screamer I've ever heard. To me it sounds like a mix of local Florida band "The Divine Process" and Major Label band "Chimiara"... or however you spell it.

Most of the music in Portals was still really great, and I really mean most of it, but some songs just lost it half way through and kept going on.
Any thoughts?

PUnkMetaL00
07-21-2009, 02:11 AM
I love their song sacturine- it seems like they did try to put hardcore in that song. this was the song that got me into AGATG, and i've been a fan since...

intentionsthere
07-21-2009, 02:18 AM
I went to check it out on myspace and listened to In the Empyreans, it's pretty entertaining how they go from like a pretty straight up hardcore part, to a kind of dancy drum beat then straight into a deathcore thing haha. I kinda of like it though, I must admit.

ESPearl
07-21-2009, 02:20 AM
Upon completion of the whole album I told myself Saturine was by far the best song on there. The hardcore moment at 1:10-1:17 was absolutely orgasmic to me. And the technical riffs after that are just like old AGATG, which is sexy, But I've only listened to it once, so I can't say it's the best song of the entire album yet.
But if you compare the majority of "Portals" to the last 2 albums Arthur's guitar work is not as good as he is capable of. Listen to "Save The Castle, Screw The Princess" and my favorite of AGATGs "Shoeshine For Neptune" the guitar work is absolutely incredible if you like the band or not.

ESPearl
07-21-2009, 02:21 AM
I went to check it out on myspace and listened to In the Empyreans, it's pretty entertaining how they go from like a pretty straight up hardcore part, to a kind of dancy drum beat then straight into a deathcore thing haha. I kinda of like it though, I must admit.

AGATG is amazing at Genre-Bending, but there are like 2 or 3 songs on the album that... it just doesn't work. They tried to take it to the next step and failed... not to be cruel to them.

PUnkMetaL00
07-21-2009, 03:32 PM
AGATG is amazing at Genre-Bending, but there are like 2 or 3 songs on the album that... it just doesn't work. They tried to take it to the next step and failed... not to be cruel to them.
i agree...some are the songs are....fail :(

GodofCheesecake
07-21-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm not really into this band, but I've seen them live twice and the most recent time I was less than impressed. Even if I found the music average at best, I was really entertained by them the first time because the two vocalist/keyboardists were funny and otherwise amusing. They played sloppy music but at least they were fun. This time they only have one vocalist and they seemed like they were trying to be serious, which I just didn't get into at all.

breakdown123
10-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Portals was definitely not as good as the rest of their albums, but it wasn't exactly a disappointment. There are still a lot of awesome songs on it.

Valderama
10-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Portals was definitely not as good as the rest of their albums, but it wasn't exactly a disappointment. There are still a lot of awesome songs on it.
+1
It's a listenable album, by that I mean that I could easily listen to it several times the whole way through before I get sick of it.

breakdown123
10-04-2009, 01:52 PM
+1
It's a listenable album, by that I mean that I could easily listen to it several times the whole way through before I get sick of it.

definitely. And you have to give them props, they could have gone in, and just redone the game of life, which would have just been stupid.

Valderama
10-04-2009, 01:53 PM
definitely. And you have to give them props, they could have gone in, and just redone the game of life, which would have just been stupid.
Despite the fact that The Game of Life is awesome XD

breakdown123
10-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Despite the fact that The Game of Life is awesome XD

I liked hits from the bow better, but i'm glad they changed it up a bit.

Kastrator
10-04-2009, 10:42 PM
BTBAM are better at genre-bending.

GodofCheesecake
10-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Well obviously.

Slaytanic1993
10-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Hits From the Bow is awesome, The Game of Life is spectacular ('specially Tourtasia, Mantipede, and Cuffed To Your Ankles), but Portals is...meh.

Cameron Reed made the band, honestly. Now they just sound like generic "avante-garde" deathcore.

Cameron's vocals were downright maniacal.

hatchet130
10-07-2009, 07:59 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1212066

:\

Fullmetal_tmd
10-07-2009, 08:33 AM
GO! STEP BACK! AND PULL THE TRIGGER!
Hits from the Bow>all