Starting a Harcore Band.

PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Harcore Band.

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 08:33 PM
I am looking to start a hardcore soon. I recently (within the last year) got into hardcore/metalcore. I listened to listen to alot trash and stuff with just alot of aggression. So this is kinda different then anything im used to playing. I listen to Parkway Drive All That remains Hatebreed Killswitch no emo screamo crap like BFMV or Trivium. Is there anything that is real specific to this genre besides breakdowns.

Just to clear this up looking for advice on starting a hardcore band from people in hardcore or metalcore band like the ones i described.

xRenegadEx
07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Listen to nothing ,but Converge for a while.

alm0st a skat3r
07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
there are no "breakdowns" in real hardcore.

hardcore is essentially punk except faster, more aggressive, heavier, and sometimes metal influenced.

Dregen
07-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Listen to nothing, but Converge for a while.

This, I just started listening to Converge (Jane Doe album) and I've got to say, it's really badass.

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 08:41 PM
iight by breakdown i mean like slower heavier parts for moshing and if that is not want makes hardcore specific wat does

willingvictim
07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
well, breakdowns don't make hardcore.. considering not all hardcore bands even have mosh parts. but a lot of hardcore bands definitely have breakdowns, just not that low tuned emmure/liferuiner bull****

IcePh0enix
07-21-2009, 08:44 PM
iight by breakdown i mean like slower heavier parts for moshing and if that is not want makes hardcore specific wat does
this:
punk except faster, more aggressive, heavier, and sometimes metal influenced.

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 08:46 PM
well like i said i recently got into hardcore b/c thats wat most ppl in my school r into and no clubs bars shows really want 2 book an 80s trash stlye band. but i really like it now love the pure agression n rage really fits me not looking for older stuff just really

boffen
07-21-2009, 08:48 PM
It'd be easer if you just listed more of the bands that you like. Parkway Drive/Killswitch isn't really defineable by "hardcore".

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 08:49 PM
i mean u can say punk based but alot of the hardcore bands i listen 2 r really riff based not really like punk music it sounds 2 me kinda like short really aggressive metal song w/o solos

xRenegadEx
07-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Are you trying to play hardcore punk or metalcore. I got lost.

willingvictim
listen to violation, mother of mercy, downpresser, creatures, and withdrawal

very riffy hardcore :)

sbinlb
i mean u can say punk based but alot of the hardcore bands i listen 2 r really riff based not really like punk music it sounds 2 me kinda like short really aggressive metal song w/o solos
its called metalcore
hardcore= Gang green, converge, minor threat...
metalcore= KSE, parkway drive, august burns red(you might like them),...

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 08:51 PM
It'd be easer if you just listed more of the bands that you like. Parkway Drive/Killswitch isn't really defineable by "hardcore".

yea so thats wat im asking wat r some good hardcore bands wat defines hardcore music

boffen
07-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Converge

xRenegadEx
07-21-2009, 08:54 PM
yea so thats wat im asking wat r some good hardcore bands wat defines hardcore music
Okay. If you want Hardcore bands you need to listen to stuff like Black Flag, Minor Threat, Cro Mags, and bands like that.

If you want metalcore (that isn't generic) then listen to Botch and Converge.

If you want metalcore ,but you like the chuggy stuff then I suggest you listen to August Burns Red, Misery Signals, and Architects(UK)

BGSM
07-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Depends what you mean by hardcore. Listen to these albums for hardcore in the traditional sense:

Agnostic Front - Victim in Pain
Black Flag - Loose Nut (because I like it more than Damaged, no flaming)
Descendents - Milo Goes To College (some punk and even pop-punk here, but definately still lots of hardcore elements)
Gorilla Biscuits - Start Today
Minor Threat, pretty much any song by these guys.
Leeway - Born To Expire (it's crossover rather than hardcore, but its NY crossover and it's one of the best albums you may ever hear)

For more contemporary hardcore:
Verse - From Anger and Rage
Anchor - First Year (they're first songs, re-recorded)
Carpathian - S/T (pure, unoriginal yet awesome mosh hardcore)
Carpathian - Isolation (same band, but completely different sound)
Have Heart - STSATS (some people say this is they're worst release, but it's what got me into them)
Guns Up! - All of This
No Apologies - Survival (Another Aussie band, good stuff)

When you say Parkway Drive it makes me think that you're more interested in metalcore, in which case you'd probably really enjoy Converge even though they're completely different from all the bands you've listed.

Listen to Shai Hulud anyway, everyone should. They're old albums are way better - Hearts Once Nourished With Hope And Compassion should get you started.

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Are you trying to play hardcore punk or metalcore. I got lost.

idk wat r the bands i described considered

xRenegadEx
07-21-2009, 08:56 PM
idk wat r the bands i described considered
Metalcore. I suggest you listen to 7 Angels 7 Plagues also.

Harrisfun
07-21-2009, 09:02 PM
there are no "breakdowns" in real hardcore.

bull ****

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 09:09 PM
i right lets get back on topic rather then suggesting bands get back to describing wat hardcore is my cousin n i have been jamming n alot of the stuff played r really riff based think hatebreed mixed with like killswitch wat genre would that be considered im really band generalizing music

Z Standard
07-21-2009, 09:13 PM
i right lets get back on topic rather then suggesting bands get back to describing wat hardcore is my cousin n i have been jamming n alot of the stuff played r really riff based think hatebreed mixed with like killswitch wat genre would that be considered im really band generalizing music

You are playing metalcore then. It's a mixture of metal and hardcore in simple terms.

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 09:23 PM
so does metalcore have to have solos or wat r some elements

willingvictim
07-21-2009, 09:29 PM
this has to be a fake poster

LarsHamfield
07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Protest The Hero!!!

sbinlb
07-21-2009, 09:30 PM
so does metalcore have to have solos or wat r some elements
dropped tunings (usually to c)
fast riffs with alternate picking
heavy breakdowns
vocals are screaming and like yelling

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 09:33 PM
this has to be a fake poster

no man im just really bad with this **** ppl say they listen to such such genre i have no cool wat makes certain genres

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 09:38 PM
i listen to all music from led zeppelin to slayer a bunch of my friends asked me to join a band just trying to clarify some **** like wat im playing is considered

handbanana
07-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Just listen to Converge(Jane Doe, Petitioning The Empty Sky), Cro-Mags(Age Of Quarrel), and like Blacklisted(The Beat Goes On, Heavier Than Heaven, Lonlier Than God), and go from there. I think this will give you a little bit of everything and help you decide which way you wanna go with things.

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 09:52 PM
http://www.myspace.com/fairbanks

this is a link to a band of a friend of mine
this is the sound im aiming for just alot harder pretty much just about beating people up anyway wat genre is this considered

willingvictim
07-21-2009, 09:55 PM
im so confused

handbanana
07-21-2009, 09:58 PM
http://www.myspace.com/fairbanks

this is a link to a band of a friend of mine
this is the sound im aiming for just alot harder pretty much just about beating people up anyway wat genre is this considered

i honestly can't tell you what genre to put this in. i'd call it weird scene experimental metal

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
ite so am i theres a parkway drive thread in the hardcore forum but apparently its considered metalcore this is so pointless nevermind not going any were

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 10:02 PM
not really my band sorry for the confusion they said this is called hardcore n some bands they really like r parkway drive killswitch etc like i said i like 80s ****

willingvictim
07-21-2009, 10:03 PM
well this forum is for "core" bands in general. so metalcore is in here too

JxD
07-21-2009, 10:06 PM
not really my band sorry for the confusion they said this is called hardcore n some bands they really like r parkway drive killswitch etc like i said i like 80s ****
What you have to understand is that a large portion of "hardcore fans" are actually morons listening to watered down metal. Please take the advice of Handbanana, Willingvictim, and BGSM.

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 10:08 PM
yea idk i think sometimes people don't no wat there talking about i listened to some of the bands u guy suggested just now like black flag and thats hardcore. ppl describe bands like kilswitch and parkway drive as hardcore so i was probably misleaded

IcePh0enix
07-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Pretty much everything that has needed to be said has been said. Just listen to the bands people have recommended and you should soon be able to find a distinct difference between metalcore and hardcore. You're friends band is pretty cool.

xTHE_CRUSHERx
07-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Pretty much everything that has needed to be said has been said. Just listen to the bands people have recommended and you should soon be able to find a distinct difference between metalcore and hardcore. You're friends band is pretty cool.

yea thx

Manos15
07-21-2009, 10:25 PM
Please don't start a band. The world really doesn't need more generic metalcore bands.

xRenegadEx
07-21-2009, 10:37 PM
Please don't start a band. The world really doesn't need more generic metalcore bands.
The world doesn't need you discouraging people.

handbanana
07-21-2009, 10:38 PM

TRUTH
boom roasted

GodofCheesecake
07-21-2009, 10:45 PM
yea idk i think sometimes people don't no wat there talking about

:haha

recklessnick
07-21-2009, 11:10 PM
yeah dont start a band

alm0st a skat3r
07-22-2009, 12:34 AM
bull ****
the quotes around the word breakdown referred to the ****ty drop-tuned chug **** unfortunately most people call breakdowns. real hardcore does have breakdowns, just not what most people think of when they hear the word breakdown

We'realltoBlame
07-22-2009, 12:58 AM
How about you just play what you like and how you like it, without bothering about fitting neatly into a genre?

+}-136-{+
07-22-2009, 08:51 AM
How about you just play what you like and how you like it, without bothering about fitting neatly into a genre?

This is it right here. If you aren't trolling and are really here for advice, follow this.

lespaul1216
07-22-2009, 01:20 PM
I am looking to start a hardcore soon. I recently (within the last year) got into hardcore/metalcore. I listened to listen to alot trash and stuff with just alot of aggression. So this is kinda different then anything im used to playing. I listen to Parkway Drive All That remains Hatebreed Killswitch no emo screamo crap like BFMV or Trivium. Is there anything that is real specific to this genre besides breakdowns.

Just to clear this up looking for advice on starting a hardcore band from people in hardcore or metalcore band like the ones i described.

please tell me how BFMV and Trivium are emo, niether bands are remotely emo.

GodofCheesecake
07-22-2009, 04:40 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167797&page=1&pp=20

Another great thread by xTHE_CRUSHERx

A7X3DG
07-22-2009, 05:10 PM

You hate screamo. and you listen to all that remains...

Z Standard
07-22-2009, 05:19 PM
You hate screamo. and you listen to all that remains...

:confused:

A7X3DG
07-22-2009, 05:32 PM
what? Listen to six, this calling and a few other songs, plenty of screaming in those.

technicolour
07-22-2009, 05:49 PM
what? Listen to six, this calling and a few other songs, plenty of screaming in those.

that doesn't make it screamo

handbanana
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
lawlz screaming does not=screamo
especially if you have to name one speicifc song as your only example

RentACar
07-22-2009, 06:11 PM

age plz

Haymaker17
07-22-2009, 06:55 PM

cmon man. all that remains is old school hardcore..everyone knows that

XMeatHookMartyX
07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
The world doesn't need you discouraging people.

really? these days in hardcore, i actually wish there was much, much more of that.

brandon369852
07-22-2009, 07:11 PM
^I think people should do whatever the want. Whether or not people like what they're doing, as long as they do what they want, it shouldn't matter. No discouragment from people who feel their opinion is more important.

XMeatHookMartyX
07-22-2009, 07:14 PM
i normally like to stay as ignorantly blissful as you, but most bands aren't doing things because they like them. many just want to do what's cool and make money. i mean to discourage the discouragable, by that, i mean those who can be persuaded as easily as someone's idle opinion.

brandon369852
07-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Well that's true but it doesn't really affect me personally, so I still say do whatever they want. I mean, if a band makes money off of a bunch of sceanies and that's ALL their in it for, I won't buy their album, I won't go to their shows,(unless, of course, it's good, then I'll still listen to it, just torrent it) no need to discourage it.

And "ignorantly" blissful seems a bit much, don't ya think?

XMeatHookMartyX
07-22-2009, 07:22 PM
i think that you are holding on to preconceptions a bit tight, ignorance isn't precisely always the pc term that's thrown around today. i merely pointed out both of our inexperience in matters involving the intentions of all bands, myself included.

brandon369852
07-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Preconceptions regarding what? And alright.

XMeatHookMartyX
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
the word ignorance.

brandon369852
07-22-2009, 07:35 PM
I know. I realized that was a pretty stupid thing to say, and edited it out of my post just after you posted.

handbanana
07-22-2009, 09:42 PM
i normally like to stay as ignorantly blissful as you, but most bands aren't doing things because they like them. many just want to do what's cool and make money. i mean to discourage the discouragable, by that, i mean those who can be persuaded as easily as someone's idle opinion.

the attack attack interviews back up every word this guy is sayin

output24
07-23-2009, 04:00 AM
Listen to this:

Converge
Ruiner
Have Heart
The Golden Age
The Carrier

For melodic hXc:

Crime in Stereo

Valderama
07-23-2009, 07:10 AM
BFMV and Trivium are neither screamo nor emo, my friend.

ImBarkerRarrrrr
07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
TS you do not listen to hardcore. and even if you listen to hatebreed you probably know them for their new crap.

Bignose
07-27-2009, 12:59 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1167797&page=1&pp=20

Another great thread by xTHE_CRUSHERx

I'm not gonna lie, I'm laughing pretty hard right now.