Definitive Metalcore Song

PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Metalcore Song

EndTheRapture51
07-24-2009, 12:01 PM
If you had to choose one song to represent the entire Metalcore genre, what would it be?

For example, Stairway to Heaven could be seen to represent classic rock, and Master of Puppets represent metal.

For Metalcore, I think it'd be Unholy Confessions by Avenged Sevenfold, everyone knows it, its a modern classic and is generally amazing and a great song.

pmeg568c
07-24-2009, 12:04 PM
wrong answer, the definitive metalcore song would be slaughter of the soul by at the gates. i can't believe you think A7x deserves that title.

damian_91
07-24-2009, 12:06 PM
wrong answer, the definitive metalcore song would be slaughter of the soul by at the gates. i can't believe you think A7x deserves that title.
at the gates isnt metalcore, slaughter of the soul was the "last" melodic death metal album.

MattAnderson111
07-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Hm. Maybe 94 Hours By As I Lay Dying, It's one of the first songs to be "true" metalcore. At The Gates was more melodic death metal.

EDIT: I never counted Avenged Sevenfold as true metalcore...like ever, even though Waking the Fallen is a truly amazing album.

saxaxe
07-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Converge- Concubine

MustangMan311
07-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Through Struggle.

Anyone? Any...one?

MattAnderson111
07-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Through Struggle.

Anyone? Any...one?

Right band, wrong tune.

Go back 1 album :p:

EndTheRapture51
07-24-2009, 12:16 PM
EDIT: I never counted Avenged Sevenfold as true metalcore...like ever, even though Waking the Fallen is a truly amazing album.

Sounding The Seventh Trumpet was hardcore, City of Evil was metal(ish), so I think Waking The Fallen was metalcore, its kinda like a transition phase.

pmeg568c
07-24-2009, 12:24 PM
at the gates isnt metalcore, slaughter of the soul was the "last" melodic death metal album.

except that ever metalcore band ever ripped off that album, so thats where it all comes from. and they deserve the title. sorry for calling your precious death metal metalcore just to make a point.

ordinary_story
07-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Numbered Days is pretty epic..

ctb
07-24-2009, 12:33 PM
"Wither" by Himsa.

EDIT: If you haven't heard... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgjJeu1wVL8.

technicolour
07-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Converge- Concubine

Ya, I'll just go with this. Or some other Converge song, maybe the saddest day. I also kind of agree with at the gates...they started it all, but they aren't actually metalcore..

But holy shit some of these answers are downright terrible :eek:

damian_91
07-24-2009, 12:39 PM
except that ever metalcore band ever ripped off that album, so thats where it all comes from. and they deserve the title. sorry for calling your precious death metal metalcore just to make a point.
even if they took influences from that album it doesnt make ATG a metalcore band.

IlikeTheSKA
07-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I knew the first post was going to suck. I mean avenged sevenfold? Come onnnnnn.

TheBabySnatcher
07-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Emmure - Sound Wave Superior.

+}-136-{+
07-24-2009, 12:54 PM
I smell flame-bait.

pmeg568c
07-24-2009, 12:54 PM
^good one! im assuming thats a bad joke.

xRenegadEx
07-24-2009, 01:03 PM
This http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljW7FJqXySY

saxaxe
07-24-2009, 01:04 PM
+1
Great song.

recklessnick
07-24-2009, 01:22 PM
i'd say 94 hours by as i lay dying

willingvictim
07-24-2009, 01:29 PM
grain of salt by poison the well

thats REAL TALK

saxaxe
07-24-2009, 01:50 PM
grain of salt by poison the well

thats REAL TALK
I'd go with Slice Paper Wrists or Nerdy first.

deathnote29
07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Converge- Concubine

/thread

I also think Japam by Botch would be a good definitive metalcore song.

Z Standard
07-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Converge- Concubine

Do agree.

technicolour
07-24-2009, 03:00 PM

I was in a metalcore a few years back, I played bass. The band did a cover of this song. So boringggg

MustangMan311
07-24-2009, 03:05 PM
I was in a metalcore a few years back, I played bass. The band did a cover of this song. So boringggg
But lets not forget that the bassist does those back up vocals, so they have to dumb down the bass part a little!

willingvictim
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
I'd go with Slice Paper Wrists or Nerdy first.

haha I was actually going to put one of those two, and then decided to dig even further back

technicolour
07-24-2009, 06:01 PM
But lets not forget that the bassist does those back up vocals, so they have to dumb down the bass part a little!

there's barely any singing during those hideous breakdowns

Haymaker17
07-24-2009, 06:12 PM

sooo many bands copied this style. seriously

PUnkMetaL00
07-24-2009, 06:15 PM
tears don't fall by BFMV

Haymaker17
07-24-2009, 06:16 PM
tears don't fall by BFMV

not this.

i agree with whoever put nerdy by ptw too.

Scourge441
07-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Numbered Days by Killswitch Engage does a pretty good job, I think.

JxD
07-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Final Expression by Unbroken, everyone else is wrong.

HelpTravesty
07-24-2009, 07:52 PM
That At the Gates song might just do it for me, Slaughter of the Soul.

lespaul1216
07-25-2009, 10:18 AM
tears don't fall by BFMV
how bout Hand of Blood. much better BFMV song.
much better metalcore song for that matter

loxer
07-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Botch - Mondrian Was a Liar

thesceneislame
07-25-2009, 01:33 PM
it would have to be a band that most people know. so i dont think it would be botch. ide say forever by as i lay dying

Valderama
07-25-2009, 02:22 PM
If we are talking a definitive song within the new wave of Melodic Metalcore, then i would say the Sound of Truth by AILD, so many awesome riffs in that song.

Hcmanu
07-25-2009, 02:29 PM
For Metalcore, I think it'd be Unholy Confessions by Avenged Sevenfold, everyone knows it, its a modern classic and is generally amazing and a great song.

As much as i hate to say it, Yes. This is probably the song that represent the most modern metalcore.

Classic D-A-D-A-D-A Riff

Breakdowns

Clean vocal in chorus.

HelpTravesty
07-25-2009, 03:02 PM
As much as i hate to say it, Yes. This is probably the song that represent the most modern metalcore.

Classic D-A-D-A-D-A Riff

Breakdowns

Clean vocal in chorus.
It was the first metalcore song I had ever heard.

Valderama
07-25-2009, 03:04 PM
It was the first metalcore song I had ever heard.
Alot of people probably heard this song first.

Bignose
07-26-2009, 12:08 AM
For me - All Bodies by BTBAM. Fucking love it.

I mean you could say colours as an album but seriously, when I don't have time to listen to the whole fucking thing I can always depend on all bodies.

ImBarkerRarrrrr
07-26-2009, 12:52 AM
elegy- as i lay dying

JxD
07-26-2009, 12:58 AM
People seriously need to stop saying As I Lay Dying, they're not a metalcore band, just a bad metal band pandering to teenagers with a bad taste in music. Their music will never be definitive, just sub-par.

willingvictim
07-26-2009, 01:15 AM
its all about from autumn to ashes, AMIRITE?!

Bignose
07-26-2009, 01:18 AM
its all about from autumn to ashes, AMIRITE?!

NAR I Killd da Pr0m QuEeN is wey betta bro

+}-136-{+
07-26-2009, 01:55 AM
No way man, BMTH ftw. The classic shit is where it's at. You feel me?

Nautkyn
07-26-2009, 04:51 AM
As i lay dying, its not my all time favorit band.losing sight is the song id pick.

PhobiXa
07-26-2009, 06:02 AM
Probably a song by 7 Angels 7 Plagues. Most of the crap metalcore bands from today take a bunch of influence from without realising, and all people who are "elitist" generally also like 7A7P.

EndTheRapture51
07-26-2009, 07:53 AM
No way man, BMTH ftw. The classic shit is where it's at. You feel me?

Deathcore, fool.

jonnowev
07-26-2009, 07:54 AM
This Calling

+}-136-{+
07-26-2009, 09:19 AM
Deathcore, fool.

Yo mama's a fool, fool.

STABxYOU
07-26-2009, 11:17 AM
The Saddest Day or Dead by Converge.

Haymaker17
07-26-2009, 01:07 PM
The Saddest Day or Dead by Converge.

i live the octave lead that kurt and aaron play in the "verse" i guess u call it. the "if i was bleeding" part lol

Veil Of Osiris
07-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Probably a song from either of AILD's first two albums.

aggiefan33
07-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Locust Reign

3rdActguitarist
07-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Sounding The Seventh Trumpet was hardcore

A7X has never been, nor will they ever be hardcore

I really don't think there is a definitive answer to this question. If I had to pick, I'd say Up Against the Ropes by August Burns Red because that, to me, embodies everything that I like about metalcore

Hcmanu
07-26-2009, 11:36 PM
A7X has never been, nor will they ever be hardcore

I really don't think there is a definitive answer to this question. If I had to pick, I'd say Up Against the Ropes by August Burns Red because that, to me, embodies everything that I like about metalcore
Some songs like thick and thin ( demo version ) are hardcore for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5XTv3UXCcA

i could be wrong

YoungViking
07-27-2009, 12:48 AM
I'd say something by Darkest Hour like Sound the Surrender or With a Thousand Words to Say But One

willingvictim
07-27-2009, 12:49 AM
I would back Darkest Hour before As I Lay Dying

recklessnick
07-27-2009, 12:53 AM
as i lay dying is a metalcore band...

TatarSalad2
07-27-2009, 04:33 AM
I'd say Like Light To The Flies by Trivium. It's got the traditional metalcore chugging style riff in E Phyrigian. And then the screaming throughout the verses and clean singing in the chorus, and heavy breakdown bridge followed by a solo. The only thing I think it's missing is some harmonized guitars... And i'm surprised Trivium hasn't been mentioned yet. Their newer stuff isn't really going into the metalcore direction, but Embers to Inferno and Ascendancy were metalcore.

My second choice would be Waking The Demon by Bullet For My Valentine.

As for the a7x thing going on, Sounding The Seventh Trumpet was closer to punk than anything. Especially since it was written by Zacky Vengance, who was in a punk band before he joined a7x. Waking The Fallen had some very metalcore songs, like Unholy Confessions. I think what makes Waking The Fallen a metalcore album is M Shadows use of screams during verses and clean singing in choruses.

And At The Gates is melodic death metal. Like In Flames, Soilwork, Nightrage, Dark Tranquility, etc.

xRenegadEx
07-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I'd say Like Light To The Flies by Trivium. It's got the traditional metalcore chugging style riff in E Phyrigian. And then the screaming throughout the verses and clean singing in the chorus, and heavy breakdown bridge followed by a solo. The only thing I think it's missing is some harmonized guitars... And i'm surprised Trivium hasn't been mentioned yet. Their newer stuff isn't really going into the metalcore direction, but Embers to Inferno and Ascendancy were metalcore.

As for the a7x thing going on, Sounding The Seventh Trumpet was closer to punk than anything. Especially since it was written by Zacky Vengance, who was in a punk band before he joined a7x. Waking The Fallen had some very metalcore songs, like Unholy Confessions. I think what makes Waking The Fallen a metalcore album is M Shadows use of screams during verses and clean singing in choruses.

And At The Gates is melodic death metal. Like In Flames, Soilwork, Nightrage, Dark Tranquility, etc.
What is wrong with you?

you = fail
07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
What is wrong with you?
:haha::haha: Lets play nice!

kpatterson14206
07-27-2009, 01:11 PM

Like Light to Flies is a great choice, really does embody all that is metalcore. If somebody asked me "what's metalcore?" and I could only have them listen to one song, I think it would probably be that. I kinda want to say something by Parkway Drive like Idols and Anchors, but they lack sung choruses with tend to be the standard for metalcore.

xRenegadEx
07-27-2009, 01:37 PM
The world is ending I know it.

willingvictim
07-27-2009, 01:42 PM

yep.

Killcount
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
I dont know why nobody has mentioned Parkway Drive

thats about the only metalcore I listen to anymore. For as simple as it is it basically embodies everything that most kids like in metalcore nowadays

kpatterson14206
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Sorry to break it to you, but you and the 200 or so other members of UG who continually hate on the newer metalcore are just that: 200 grumpy old people who spend hours on the UG forums hating on new music because it is "new" and thrive on the idea that "old school" is cool and new things are for kids.

Seriously, if you like a band that plays guitars, drums, screams/sings, even plays bass, then more power to you. It's amazing how in this cluttered little genre there is so much hate.

kpatterson14206
07-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I dont know why nobody has mentioned Parkway Drive

thats about the only metalcore I listen to anymore. For as simple as it is it basically embodies everything that most kids like in metalcore nowadays

Read my earlier post :D

I don't see how their music is simple, what do you mean? Learning how to play Parkway Drive songs has always been on the difficult side for myself, more say so than Trivium, AILD, Darkest Hour, etc.

I think the big problem is that they do zero singing. While I've actually grown to dislike the standard scream verse/sung chorus pattern, it really defines metalcore.

Killcount
07-27-2009, 02:33 PM
Read my earlier post :D

I don't see how their music is simple, what do you mean? Learning how to play Parkway Drive songs has always been on the difficult side for myself, more say so than Trivium, AILD, Darkest Hour, etc.

I think the big problem is that they do zero singing. While I've actually grown to dislike the standard scream verse/sung chorus pattern, it really defines metalcore.

I'd say its simple relative to bands like Botch or Converge, and the vast majority of death metal acts.

and alot of the earlier metalcore groups, and the most of the influential death metal/hardcore bands didn't feature much clean singing

kpatterson14206
07-27-2009, 02:41 PM
I'd say its simple relative to bands like Botch or Converge, and the vast majority of death metal acts.

and alot of the earlier metalcore groups, and the most of the influential death metal/hardcore bands didn't feature much clean singing

Right, but that's earlier, not now, which is what we're talking about.

Death Metal bands are very simple, little to no vocal schemes, just normal, mono-tone, monotonous growling and an assload of breakdowns.

aggiefan33
07-27-2009, 02:45 PM
kpatterson wins idiot of the thread award, grats

JxD
07-27-2009, 02:48 PM
kpatterson wins idiot of the thread award, grats
I can get behind this nomination.

aggiefan33
07-27-2009, 02:50 PM
I can get behind this nomination.
i don't think there were any competitors after his post about death metal.

'StoleN'
07-27-2009, 02:54 PM
This thread makes me frown.
I don't agree with people saying converge and botch, because it doesn't represent modern metalcore. 99 percent of modern metalcore blows, and converge and botch are nothing like it.

In referance to the TS's question, old darkest hour.

JxD
07-27-2009, 02:56 PM
This thread makes me frown.
I don't agree with people saying converge and botch, because it doesn't represent modern metalcore. 99 percent of modern metalcore blows, and converge and botch are nothing like it.

In referance to the TS's question, old darkest hour.
I think it's time for my favorite Matt Fox (Shai Hulud) quote!

Taking the term literally, and breaking it apart, yes, we definitely are a true example of “metalcore,” a hybrid of hardcore and metal. When we used to joke with the term, it was just a clever (or not so clever) way of describing a metallic hardcore, metal-influenced hardcore, or hardcore-influenced metal band. My friends and I would listen to Deadguy and say “this isn’t HARDcore, it’s METALcore,” which made sense based on the music they played, combined with the attitude and ethic of the band. Same thing used to be said for Earth Crisis, Integrity, Coalesce, Unbroken, and a lot of the 90’s bands that incorporated heavier riffs and more progressive structuring and ideas into their songs. When the term “metalcore” was thrown around back then it was very tongue-in-cheek; this, obviously, long before it became a legitimate genre, it’s current legitimacy being highly debatable, of course.

“Metalcore,” the actual genre in 2008 doesn’t usually seem like a hybrid of hardcore and metal as much as it just seems like metal, only written by people who imitate it rather than love it, typically resulting in trite and shallow music. If this accurately describes “metalcore” then we clearly do not embrace the term. Conversely, if Earth Crisis and Deadguy define “metalcore, ” count us in.

master_exploder
07-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Elegy by As I Lay Dying

or The Truth Of A Liar by August Burns Red

lets not forget Parkway Drive : Romance is Dead

technicolour
07-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Set your body ablaze - Shai hulud.

I suggest the majority of the posters in this thread listen to the song, take it's advice.

GodofCheesecake
07-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Death Metal bands are very simple, little to no vocal schemes, just normal, mono-tone, monotonous growling and an assload of breakdowns.

Dude, I was actually kind of on board with SOME of what you said until you spouted this bit of ignorant nonsense.

pmeg568c
07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
the problem is that the majority of the people who listen to metalcore are too ignorant to understand where it comes from and which bands did it first. Cave In released a metalcore album in 1999 that influenced tons of modern metalcore bands. if you people really think trivium and bullet for my valentine were the first new metalcore bands you are idiots.

Killcount
07-27-2009, 04:17 PM
http://comixed.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/monkey-lold.jpg

compin
07-27-2009, 04:17 PM

I say it too, but for most People that never heard Metalcore maybe it wouldn't be so good :haha:

So i just say Killswitch Engage - Arms of Sorrow

12shinn21
07-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Set your body ablaze - Shai hulud.

I suggest the majority of the posters in this thread listen to the song, take it's advice.
Backed, on both counts.

Valderama
07-27-2009, 05:53 PM

Oh.

My.

God.

I can't even begin to explain how wrong you are.

Haymaker17
07-27-2009, 08:28 PM

moron

edit: if ur looking for early bands that defined the genre we now call metalcore i suggest you all check out shai hulud, cave in, converge, 7 angels 7 plagues, poison the well, misery signals, integrity, coalesce, and botch. you can thank me later.

xRenegadEx
07-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but you and the 200 or so other members of UG who continually hate on the newer metalcore are just that: 200 grumpy old people who spend hours on the UG forums hating on new music because it is "new" and thrive on the idea that "old school" is cool and new things are for kids.

Seriously, if you like a band that plays guitars, drums, screams/sings, even plays bass, then more power to you. It's amazing how in this cluttered little genre there is so much hate.
This is the only response I plan on giving you. First things first I like a lot of "nu-metalcore" so nice false accusation. Secondly I'm not even close to old. I come to this forum for about 15 minutes a day. I don't hate on new music. I listen to TDWP so everything you've said about me is false. Just because, it's old doesn't mean it's better and because, it's new it's not worse. I listen to way more new bands than old. I'm simply saying it's stupid people want such bands (whom I may enjoy) to represent a genre that aren't even that talented. As I Lay Dying and Killswitch Engage seriously?

willingvictim
07-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Right, but that's earlier, not now, which is what we're talking about.

I mean unless you're talking like legit old ass death metal like Obituary where it's extremely slow and heavy as **** (none of that BREE business)

But then I guess there's **** like Cannibal Corpse which people also consider death metal

technicolour
07-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Something tells me he ain't never heard of no Obituary, burr aye.

oh, how 'bout Firestorm by Earth crisis, or is that too hardcore-esque?

JxD
07-28-2009, 02:08 AM
That song is already a definitive militant straight edge song.

Valderama
07-28-2009, 06:38 AM
That song is already a definitive militant straight edge song.
+1

STABxYOU
07-28-2009, 10:32 AM

Get The Kid With The Sideburns.

willingvictim
07-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Something tells me he ain't never heard of no Obituary, burr aye.

haha I just hoped.. Obituary is one of the heaviest bands ever, and one of the original american death metal bands.

and yeah, I wouldn't consider Earth Crisis metalcore at all

chaazums
07-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Composure - August Burns Red

Internal Chaos
07-28-2009, 04:29 PM
the problem is that the majority of the people who listen to metalcore are too ignorant to understand where it comes from and which bands did it first. Cave In released a metalcore album in 1999 that influenced tons of modern metalcore bands. if you people really think trivium and bullet for my valentine were the first new metalcore bands you are idiots.
Caliban came out in the late 90's and they were always playing the newer style, so I'd be saying they're the pioneers of the new style. But I don't really know much about when the bands came out because I don't listen to a lot of the big names.haha I just hoped.. Obituary is one of the heaviest bands ever, and one of the original american death metal bands.
One of my favourites. I do love me some Cannibal Corpse, but I'm into the heavier stuff like Autopsy, Demigod, Gorhoth, Melektaus, Dominius Xul etc

Amuro Jay
07-29-2009, 01:38 AM
Backed, on both counts.Backing his backing of both of those accounts.

recklessnick
07-29-2009, 02:31 PM
i would say like converge but, its hard to digest for people who has never heard metalcore, if thats where we're directing this 'definitive metalcore song' thing. so i would say as i lay dying or parkway drive.

Chris1988
07-30-2009, 05:55 PM

I think you'll find there are a fair few new metalcore bands backed hard by the regulars in this forum.
Unfortunately threads on said bands are buried by a wave of generic tripe such as "WhTA U GUYz ThINK OF AX7 I FiNK theIr Is A ThREad But ThEy ARe teh KewliES!"
or "Check out this awesome original band www.myspace.com/bleedingthronesofthehorizonlaceratingcadavers"

On topic
The Saddest Day by Converge pretty much nails it for me.
Though Juggernaut by Cave In and Huttons Great Heat Engine by Botch are close.

RPExecutor
07-30-2009, 06:54 PM

good lord, YES. Yes.

Possibly the best song by the best metalcore band.

EndTheRapture51
07-31-2009, 05:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19UZd_DKs2Q

What about this?

Selkies: The Endless Obsession - Between The Buried And Me

MustangMan311
07-31-2009, 01:16 PM

What about this?

Great song, not definitive.

JustMimes
07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Integrity - Darkness

JxD
07-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Integrity - Darkness
I can definitely get behind this.

GodofCheesecake
07-31-2009, 07:52 PM

What about this?

Whether that song is even metalcore is debatable.

shadowskill515
08-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Anything off AOJB, as it is the best metalcore album, hands down. But I would pick Misery Signals' Five Years. That whole song just shows all that is right with metalcore. The ending is so damn epic, gives me chills still to this day! And for people picking a Darkest Hour song, DARKEST HOUR HAS NEVER BEEN METALCORE!!!! NEVER!!!! If you think they are then you are ignorant, just plain ignorant. :livid:

GodofCheesecake
08-01-2009, 12:57 AM
And for people picking a Darkest Hour song, DARKEST HOUR HAS NEVER BEEN METALCORE!!!! NEVER!!!! If you think they are then you are ignorant, just plain ignorant. :livid:

Ummm...

Gonna have to disagree with you there.

shadowskill515
08-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Ummm...

Gonna have to disagree with you there.

Please tell me what hardcore elements they have in their music?

GodofCheesecake
08-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Have you heard anything off So Sedated, So Secure? It's practically the epitome of the move from 90's metalcore to the modern version.

And even if they didn't have hardcore elements, that's not exactly the best argument. August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, and All That Remains have virtually zero hardcore elements in their music, and they're pretty standard metalcore.

willingvictim
08-01-2009, 10:02 AM
That's just what metalcore has turned into though... the genre was never originally that.

saxaxe
08-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Yea, which calls for the distinction of "nu-metalcore" that we're so fond of here. Nu-metalcore has become a completely independent genre, without much apparent hardcore influence. Bands like Darkest Hour, As I Lay Dying, August Burns Red, etc are all in this category.

GodofCheesecake
08-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Darkest Hour are metalcore.

That was my main point.

And whether or not that's what the genre "has turned into" is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is it's still metalcore. Shai Hulud, Converge, Integrity, TDWP, Parkway Drive, and August Burns Red are all metalcore, regardless of the degree of hardcore influence.

Internal Chaos
08-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Anything off AOJB, as it is the best metalcore album, hands down. But I would pick Misery Signals' Five Years. That whole song just shows all that is right with metalcore. The ending is so damn epic, gives me chills still to this day! And for people picking a Darkest Hour song, DARKEST HOUR HAS NEVER BEEN METALCORE!!!! NEVER!!!! If you think they are then you are ignorant, just plain ignorant. :livid:
Yes, they are. I'm pretty sure they've nicely placed themselves in metalcore now.Darkest Hour are metalcore.

That was my main point.

And whether or not that's what the genre "has turned into" is irrelevant, the fact of the matter is it's still metalcore. Shai Hulud, Converge, Integrity, TDWP, Parkway Drive, and August Burns Red are all metalcore, regardless of the degree of hardcore influence.Yes, but if I asked for some good old school metalcore and I was recommended Caliban, I'd stab the kid. The difference is just so so much easier.

Metalcore - okay, he wants metalcore
Nu Metalcore - okay, he wants new metalcore

Is it really that fucking hard?

GodofCheesecake
08-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I understand the difference.