Punk Officially Died!

PDA

View Full Version : Punk Officially Died!

GangsterLi
07-25-2009, 08:00 AM
Ok, there has been much debate over the last few years if punk is dead or not. Well, as of yesterday, to me, punk officially died.

I was watching Kerrang!, very excited when I saw an advert for "Punk vs. Grunge: TOP 20" to be shown later. So, I set everything aside for the hour and a half of which this would be shown.

And much to be my disappointment, I saw no punk whatsoever! The bands that Kerrang! were calling the top punk bands varied from that of Hannah Montana's broher's "Metro Station" to bands like "All American Rejects" and "Simple Plan". I will admit that I have a soft spot for the pop of "All American Rejects" but calling these bands the top punk just really pissed me off.

So, in my head, punk has now officially died.

Side note: The Grunge part of the show wasn't too bad, but a lot of good grunge bands (90s era and modern era) were not included, definatley not the greatest selection of influencial or best.

GangsterLi

LordPino
07-25-2009, 08:07 AM
Punk isn't dead, it's underground as it should be.

IMO.

Hetfieldjr
07-25-2009, 08:09 AM
most prober punk music didn't have music videos. it was probably before videos started being made.

voodoochild23
07-25-2009, 08:15 AM
Kerrang!? Dude since when do they actually show consistency in their definition of musical styles? Punk isn't dead, it can't die, Kerrang has just been on a downhill slope for years. They'll call My Chemical Romance punk, don't expect any better from them now.

Martindecorum
07-25-2009, 08:17 AM
from my mates gig last night, punk still very alive mate

mjttb1
07-25-2009, 08:18 AM
It's Dead.

R.I.P

boston1992
07-25-2009, 08:21 AM
wow, what a bummer, what ever happened to people like syd vicious? all american rejects are pop, not punk, not even pop punk ( which makes no sense )
punk is not trendy
metro station, simple plan, and all american rejects are trendy

gallagher2006
07-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Didn't Punk die circa 1980?

Anyways, I agree that the best punk music is underground and indie, the way it should be.

imsimon
07-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Kerrang TV, Radio, and Magazine is ****.

Scitzo Frenic
07-25-2009, 08:25 AM
It's Kerrang, what did you expect?

alkalineweeman
07-25-2009, 08:35 AM
as far as im concerned grunge is no more than the testy depressed brother of punk anyway.. and yeah.. what scitzo said.

valdean
07-25-2009, 08:42 AM
how is punk dead have u ever heard about brokencyde man?

No really, I've never listened to punk, but even I know that it's dead.
At least in the media.

templar08
07-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Come on, with a new Rancid album in the offing?

RizzoWashburn
07-25-2009, 09:14 AM
lol

*reported*

ROHG
07-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Well about the music, somewhere between 1970-1990 it went wrong I guess.

All we have now is the next generation of pop punk

and

The hardcore punk... which to me, is too dull..

If you talk about the ideology, which punk really is all about, then it is dead...
People started accepting differences too much these days, the only way you can offend people nowadays are by saying you are either: A gayhater or a nazi...

We need a new generation of punk, if it is to "surive" a new kind of music, and clothing, which would offend the general man, and I guess somewhere along the line singing about gaybashing or so will acually do the trick...

But then again, don't think the world really is ready for a 2nd revolution of youth :P

whyvern
07-25-2009, 10:26 AM
There's a whole lot of awesome punk rock going on all over the world right now.

Here's a buncha bands from all over the world that are pretty rockin':

MASSHYSTERI (Umeň, Sweden) - www.myspace.com/masshysteri
DESTINO FINAL (Barcelona, Spain) - www.myspace.com/guerraenmicabeza
ADD/C (Chattanooga, TN, USA) - www.myspace.com/addccdda
ANTI-YOU (Roma, Italy) - www.myspace.com/antiyouhc
BLACK RAINBOW (San Francisco, CA, USA) - http://www.thrillhouserecords.com/music/Black%20Rainbow%20-%20Track%201.mp3
THE MUGWUMPS (Innsbruck, Austria) - http://www.myspace.com/themugwumps
FOUR TOMORROW (Saitama, Japan) - www.myspace.com/fourtomorrow
PISSCHRIST (Melbourne, Austrailia) - www.myspace.com/dbeatholocaust
GASOLINE GRENADE (Kuala Lumpuur, Malaysia) - www.myspace.com/gasgrenade
THE FEELING OF LOVE (Strasbourg, France) - www.myspace.com/thefeelingoflove
GORDON GANO'S ARMY (Southampton, United Kingdom) - www.myspace.com/gordonganosarmy

If you have any questions about the worldwide DIY punk underground please ask someone here about it instead of assuming that we're not doing anything anymore. Alot of us get pissed off when people say "punk is dead" or that things were so much better in the 80's or 90's, because it makes it seem like what we're doing today doesn't matter and we think and know that it does.

RizzoWashburn
07-25-2009, 10:38 AM
^I just got an ADD/C 12" in the mail the other day. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Nietsche
07-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Citizen Fish? Leftover crack?

Hetfieldjr
07-25-2009, 12:48 PM
how is punk dead have u ever heard about brokencyde man?

No really, I've never listened to punk, but even I know that it's dead.
At least in the media.

lol at the brokencyde comment, they are ridiculously awful
and you have never listened to any punk? what about the sex pistols, surely everyone has heard god save the queen or anarchy in the UK

RizzoWashburn
07-25-2009, 01:06 PM
^Have YOU ever listened to any punk?

axeslash
07-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Citizen Fish? Leftover crack?While I love those bands I don't love your username. That must be pretty rough being stuck with a username like that.

Nietsche
07-25-2009, 02:20 PM
While I love those bands I don't love your username. That must be pretty rough being stuck with a username like that.Either your referring to my poor spelling, you don't like Friedrich Nietzsche or you have no idea who Nietzsche is whatsoever

.....and yeah it does suck :sad:

Iluvpowerchords
07-25-2009, 02:33 PM
^ I don't like the fact that your avatar is not a picture of his Moustache.

RizzoWashburn
07-25-2009, 02:35 PM
^ I don't like the fact that your avatar is not a picture of his Moustache.
This.

Nietsche
07-25-2009, 02:48 PM
^ I don't like the fact that your avatar is not a picture of his Moustache.There's a size limit ya know

k90728
07-25-2009, 03:37 PM
In New York City. We have ABC No Rio. That has good random punk bands that play.

Edit: Which means its not dead :haha:

BR0KENHEARTED
07-25-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm hung over.