Official Post-Hardcore Thread

PDA

View Full Version : Official Post-Hardcore Thread

willingvictim
07-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm talkin real post-hardcore.. not bands like Underoath or any of that non-sense. I just want to see what other bands everyone else is into. I love when members of hardcore bands try to do something different.

Currently I've been listening to a lot of Fugazi, The Evens, Quicksand, and Young Widows.

IcePh0enix
07-28-2009, 12:40 PM
At the Drive-In are probably one of my top 10 favorite bands ever.

aggiefan33
07-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Frodus, hell yes.

pmeg568c
07-28-2009, 01:13 PM
this thread is going to attract lots of what you don't want haha.

anyway if bear vs shark fits into this category they win.

recklessnick
07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
uuuhhh.... fall of troy? and at the drive in is pretty good.

SadistNation
07-28-2009, 01:23 PM
the blood brothers fit?

JxD
07-28-2009, 01:30 PM
If morons make bad posts in here lets just cut them to pieces. Anyways Quicksand and Embrace make my favorite post-hardcore jams.

cakeschmammert
07-28-2009, 02:53 PM
hahah JxD has really had enough of everyone's ****.
i can always get into rites of spring and glassjaw is the ****.

EndTheRapture51
07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Are Fightstar post-hardcore?

Check out songs like Wheres The Money Lebowski, Build An Army. Palahniuk's Laughter, Deathcar and Tannhauser Gate, and get back to me?

Frenzied
07-28-2009, 03:12 PM
this thread is going to attract lots of what you don't want haha.
Haha, this ^

Z Standard
07-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Bear vs. Shark!

willingvictim
07-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Bear vs Shark is sweet though I never got too into them.

My band and alm0st a skater's band are playing with Hostage Calm next week. awesome band, people should get into them.

Internal Chaos
07-28-2009, 04:31 PM
ESCAPE THE FATE FUCK YEAH

Could anyone give me some recommendations? The only Post Hardcore bands I listen to would be Fugazi, Thrice, At The Drive-In and Minus The Bear and I think that's about it.

Internal Chaos
07-28-2009, 04:38 PM

My band and alm0st a skater's band are playing with Hostage Calm next week. awesome band, people should get into them.
This is what I'm pissed at my area and why my life sucks. You have bands EVERYWHERE that are willing to play with each other cheap, and who all know each other and would have a bit of a following. I don't know if you guys or Method have followings, but I had heard of Burdens before UG, so I'm assuming there's something. There's always a way for you to get shows, meet new bands etc, do all that. Like Cedences band, holy shit. Organising places to stay on the net while he's on tour for a week, so so good.

On the Central Coast, there are 2 bands that are active and talked about. Mark My Words, and xNEGATRONx, but I've never heard a good word said about xNEGATRONx, no matter how decent the music actually is. The venues here won't let anyone hire out the stuff unless they can guarrantee a large amount of ticket sales, and even then its very very expensive, and the others are owned by metal dudes, who charge a few hundred for the use of the hall, and even then, they're take over and put themselves as the headliners. It's crap.

People complain about their scene all the time, about the shit bands and all that, but at least you have shit bands.

That's my rant, that's taken all my frustration out.

willingvictim
07-28-2009, 04:50 PM
This is what I'm pissed at my area and why my life sucks. You have bands EVERYWHERE that are willing to play with each other cheap, and who all know each other and would have a bit of a following. I don't know if you guys or Method have followings, but I had heard of Burdens before UG, so I'm assuming there's something. There's always a way for you to get shows, meet new bands etc, do all that. Like Cedences band, holy shit. Organising places to stay on the net while he's on tour for a week, so so good.

On the Central Coast, there are 2 bands that are active and talked about. Mark My Words, and xNEGATRONx, but I've never heard a good word said about xNEGATRONx, no matter how decent the music actually is. The venues here won't let anyone hire out the stuff unless they can guarrantee a large amount of ticket sales, and even then its very very expensive, and the others are owned by metal dudes, who charge a few hundred for the use of the hall, and even then, they're take over and put themselves as the headliners. It's crap.

People complain about their scene all the time, about the shit bands and all that, but at least you have shit bands.

That really sucks man. I know for a fact that I am spoiled here in South East PA. From here to Norther PA, and down to Philly there are so many bands. Touring really isn't THAT hard for bands as long as you can get some people to like you and figure out how to ask people for shows via myspace and email.

Idk what kind of spaces you have in Australia.. but there aren't any churches you can rent out? Or any youth group areas? Or some kind of banquet hall? Nothing? Even basements. There's gotta be something.

willingvictim
07-28-2009, 10:59 PM
this band is awesome

http://www.myspace.com/wearepala

pretty sure it's members of pulling teeth, or something

saxaxe
07-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Pala is incredible. I love living in Baltimore. So much good music.
But yea, Post Hardcore and Emo blend together a lot, with bands like Rites of Spring and Fugazi. It gets confusing. It blends with screamo a lot too.
But yea, Rites of Spring, Fugazi, Drive like Jehu, Pala, Algernon, Calculator, City of Caterpillar, Thursday (sometimes), Faraquet (do they count?) are great.

Cedence
07-29-2009, 12:16 AM

with all due respect, it seems as though your band is a bit hard to take seriously. Whether or not your message is serious, it comes off as silly. I don't know much about the Australian scene, so perhaps I can't vouch for promoters there, but in the US, a band has to do more than take themselves seriously. Other people have to take them seriously.

At times, it seems like you're in it for nothing but shock value, rather than actually believing in what you're doing. Again, I'm not there, so I can't really say I'm totally correct. This is just my observation

Again, no disrespect, maybe a couple of things to think about.

Bignose
07-29-2009, 12:33 AM
Dudes, do These Arms are Snakes count? Amazing band, what's more the bass player from Botch is in it. Got into Glassjaw after reading how stoked HB was about that concert and yeah, they're awesome. I've been listening to later Cave-In stuff and I guess you could loosely call it PH?

At the Drive-In though - all the way. mad band.

aggiefan33
07-29-2009, 12:35 AM
i'd call City of Caterpillar three other genres over PHC haha. but yeah These Arms Are Snakes definitely, they rule.

also Ultra Dolphins are cool

Cedence
07-29-2009, 01:30 AM
on the topic of Post-Hardcore, can anyone send me Where You Are and Where You Want to Be by On the Might of Princes. I bought the cd, however the cd drive on my computer is busted, and even my car cd player won't play it haha

I love this band, Sirens is a solid record. I'm really looking forward to hearing this one as well, whenever that happens haha.

Internal Chaos
07-29-2009, 02:51 AM
That really sucks man. I know for a fact that I am spoiled here in South East PA. From here to Norther PA, and down to Philly there are so many bands. Touring really isn't THAT hard for bands as long as you can get some people to like you and figure out how to ask people for shows via myspace and email.

Idk what kind of spaces you have in Australia.. but there aren't any churches you can rent out? Or any youth group areas? Or some kind of banquet hall? Nothing? Even basements. There's gotta be something.
Well the thing is because no one actually plays hardcore here, it's just gonna be pointless because no tickets would be sold and it'd be a waste of money. I'm mates with Mark My Words (check them out, btw), but they've already established that while I'm being taken under their wing to go with them to shows and meet up with other guys to help me find a band, they're not gonna get xNEGATRONx to play a show until we release the serious stuff we've gotten written, or until everything dies down with the me getting bashed stuff as it will probably make them lose part of their fanbase, which I can completely understand.Pala is incredible. I love living in Baltimore. So much good music.
But yea, Post Hardcore and Emo blend together a lot, with bands like Rites of Spring and Fugazi. It gets confusing. It blends with screamo a lot too.
But yea, Rites of Spring, Fugazi, Drive like Jehu, Pala, Algernon, Calculator, City of Caterpillar, Thursday (sometimes), Faraquet (do they count?) are great.
Yeah, see I have Rites of Spring and City of Caterpillar under emo, so I just dump it all under skramz. Will check them out, already listen to the two I just mentioned, plus Fugazi and Thursday. I'll check out the rest, cheers man.with all due respect, it seems as though your band is a bit hard to take seriously. Whether or not your message is serious, it comes off as silly. I don't know much about the Australian scene, so perhaps I can't vouch for promoters there, but in the US, a band has to do more than take themselves seriously. Other people have to take them seriously.

At times, it seems like you're in it for nothing but shock value, rather than actually believing in what you're doing. Again, I'm not there, so I can't really say I'm totally correct. This is just my observation

Again, no disrespect, maybe a couple of things to think about.
Yeah dude no offense taken here. I know I've tried to defend it as a joke, but I don't think I've explained that while the lyrics are comical/offensive to those who take themselves too seriously and aren't tolerant to others lifestyles, I'm still very passionate about it all, because it's my belief and I'm not really in it for the shock factor, even though that really helped the whole project spread rapidly around here. If you can be bothered with the read, I'll go song by song.

xLust is Bustx - About one of my deadbeat friends
xGet High-DRATEDx - The only joke song on the album, and it's not targeted at edge, it's targeted at a rapper by the name of Louie Knuxx, who preached it here.
xPillsx - About one of my friends who tries to make herself look hardcore by bragging about how many pills she takes, even though it's obvious she's never tried anything more than premixed vodka
xThis is a Beatdown, ******x - About the crew mentality of moshers, not just straight edge, even though that is a theme of the song to coincide with the rest of the themes of the album
x1 2 Fuck Youx - Same as the above
xThe Warx - This is the perfect one for what I'm doing right now, as it is taking comments and messages left to me about pointing out exactly what they are. It shows the exact militant lifestyle these guys force on others with little tolerance for any other life choice
xStraight ****ing Edgex - Pointing out the hypocrisy of edge bands preaching, and when non edge bands preach they're destroyed

New stuff is taking a serious spin. This is the new EP that's coming out, made entirely of covers, and no edge bashing at all

01 - Isolation/Cursed/Sun Heights (Carpathian) - my favourite songs, depicts my present state of mind and while they're not the greatest band, they're pretty much my idols
02 - Frozen (Shinto Katana) - angriest song ever, also same reason as above without the idols part
03 - Minor Threat/In My Eyes/Straight Edge (Minor Threat) - Pretty much paying my respects to the founders, and with Straight Edge it's being taken completely seriously, as I support everything he says in the lyrics. He is against addiction and saying he wants to stay away from it, and I agree with him about how it can ruin ones mindset
04 - Take It Away (The Used) - Impulse decision on the way to my friends house. Song was recorded three hours later
05 - JackXXX Doesn't Know (Cover of Scotty Doesn't Know) - Pretty much just bagging the kid out. I know him and his friends, he deserves it
06 - All The Single Ladies (Beyonce) - Same backing track, just with hardcore vocals. Picture 20 guys yelling ALL THE SINGLE LADIES and that's the song

The LP I'm writing is deadset serious. It still has joke lyrics, but there is nothing edge about it, and it's pretty much my teen angst and hatred for the welfare area I live in, the fact that I have to grow up and every one around me.

Hope that cleared anything up dude :cheers:

aggiefan33
07-29-2009, 03:26 AM
on the topic of Post-Hardcore, can anyone send me Where You Are and Where You Want to Be by On the Might of Princes. I bought the cd, however the cd drive on my computer is busted, and even my car cd player won't play it haha
I've got you covered, I prefer that one over Sirens anyways haha

kurtrip
07-29-2009, 10:53 AM
dont know if these are considered as posthardcore but I like them:
Pele, Polvo, Unwound, Jr Ewing, Kill Holiday, Hot Snakes

recklessnick
07-29-2009, 02:29 PM
internal chaos, with all due respect, and please dont take this offensively, xnegatronx is fun to listen and stuff, but i think you talk too much about your band in this forum haha

Magero
07-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Tbh, I've only seen him post a few times about xNEGATRONx.
BUT
I'm not in the hardcore forum as much as I am in the metal forum so.
I really enjoy xNEGATRONx tbh. Even without the joke factor.

willingvictim
07-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I think if you change the name of the band and the song names people would take it more seriously, but if it's what you want to do then do it. Who cares.

And on the topic of venues in Australia.. what about basements? Find someone to do a cool hardcore basement show and you could charge free or like 3 bucks and promote the **** out of it. Kids will come, and then will realize that its awesome to be into hardcore, and then start their own bands, and then you have a scene.

Magero
07-29-2009, 03:42 PM
That's an awesome idea.
We actually have a pretty big PCYC scene up here. Doesn't get much turn out, but hey, 12 kids in a gym is better than 0 kids in a hall right?

willingvictim
07-29-2009, 03:51 PM
That's an awesome idea.
We actually have a pretty big PCYC scene up here. Doesn't get much turn out, but hey, 12 kids in a gym is better than 0 kids in a hall right?

I don't know what a PCYC is but I'm gonna assume it's like a YMCA haha

But yeah.. even if the shows have minimal turn outs.. you just get a venue you can steady book at for cheap, that way you don't need to make bands sell tickets or any of that BS. Put up fliers. Promote online. Get some bands touring through Australia to play. I know it's not always all big bands going through there, and regardless, even a band like Have Heart (I know they are broken up, just an example for the size of a band), would play in a gymnasium or a church hall or firehall.

If you build it, they will come.

Magero
07-29-2009, 03:52 PM
It's a community hall.

Haymaker17
07-29-2009, 04:22 PM

lol yea i went to school with the singer of hostage calm. saw them with have heart last summer. more ppl need to get into them, theyre great

SadistNation
07-29-2009, 09:06 PM
I saw them 2 or 3 years ago, i didn't enjoy it. I think i have their first demo on CD-R or something, if anyone wants it.

Is anyone into The Blood Brothers, i'm wanting to talk about them some!

+}-136-{+
07-30-2009, 01:15 AM
I don't listen to much post-hardcore. At The Drive-In I've listened to, but only Relationship of Command.

Blood Brothers are intense. Insane vocals. I love the combination of harsh abrasive vocals with the almost poppy and funk-esque bounce of the instrumentation. I've listened to some stuff off Crimes but Young Machetes is the album that introduced me to them and the one I've listened to most. Good shit. Watching the music video for "Laser Life" was an intense experience.

Cianyx
07-30-2009, 03:48 AM
ESCAPE THE FATE FUCK YEAH

Could anyone give me some recommendations? The only Post Hardcore bands I listen to would be Fugazi, Thrice, At The Drive-In and Minus The Bear and I think that's about it.

Try this
http://www.myspace.com/snowingtheband

The Appleseed Cast
Pianos Become the Teeth
Mineral
I Would Set Myself On Fire For You

The Birthday Party? (Don't listen to them much)

willingvictim
07-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Oof. I didn't think anyone liked The Blood Brothers anymore. I haven't even heard them for 5 years.

Magero
07-30-2009, 11:05 AM
Pretty sure Johnny Whitney's voice makes me want to stab my ears out with half a tractor.

pmeg568c
07-30-2009, 11:13 AM
I've got you covered, I prefer that one over Sirens anyways haha

really? sirens is probably one of my favorite albums of all time. Everything from lyrics to the writing is just a masterpiece.

RentACar
07-30-2009, 12:50 PM
xLust is Bustx - About one of my deadbeat friends
xGet High-DRATEDx - The only joke song on the album, and it's not targeted at edge, it's targeted at a rapper by the name of Louie Knuxx, who preached it here.
xPillsx - About one of my friends who tries to make herself look hardcore by bragging about how many pills she takes, even though it's obvious she's never tried anything more than premixed vodka
xThis is a Beatdown, ******x - About the crew mentality of moshers, not just straight edge, even though that is a theme of the song to coincide with the rest of the themes of the album
x1 2 Fuck Youx - Same as the above
xThe Warx - This is the perfect one for what I'm doing right now, as it is taking comments and messages left to me about pointing out exactly what they are. It shows the exact militant lifestyle these guys force on others with little tolerance for any other life choice
xStraight ****ing Edgex - Pointing out the hypocrisy of edge bands preaching, and when non edge bands preach they're destroyed

New stuff is taking a serious spin. This is the new EP that's coming out, made entirely of covers, and no edge bashing at all

01 - Isolation/Cursed/Sun Heights (Carpathian) - my favourite songs, depicts my present state of mind and while they're not the greatest band, they're pretty much my idols
02 - Frozen (Shinto Katana) - angriest song ever, also same reason as above without the idols part
03 - Minor Threat/In My Eyes/Straight Edge (Minor Threat) - Pretty much paying my respects to the founders, and with Straight Edge it's being taken completely seriously, as I support everything he says in the lyrics. He is against addiction and saying he wants to stay away from it, and I agree with him about how it can ruin ones mindset
04 - Take It Away (The Used) - Impulse decision on the way to my friends house. Song was recorded three hours later
05 - JackXXX Doesn't Know (Cover of Scotty Doesn't Know) - Pretty much just bagging the kid out. I know him and his friends, he deserves it
06 - All The Single Ladies (Beyonce) - Same backing track, just with hardcore vocals. Picture 20 guys yelling ALL THE SINGLE LADIES and that's the song

The LP I'm writing is deadset serious. It still has joke lyrics, but there is nothing edge about it, and it's pretty much my teen angst and hatred for the welfare area I live in, the fact that I have to grow up and every one around me.

Hope that cleared anything up dude :cheers:

This actually sounds like you guys have some solid lyrics.
Take it away is a pretty sick song too.

SadistNation
07-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Pretty sure Johnny Whitney's voice makes me want to stab my ears out with half a tractor.

i though so at first but over the years i have grown to enjoy them.

Magero
07-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Friend of mine loves them, and everything else he's done, but I've tried to enjoy them and I just can't do it.

JxD
07-31-2009, 01:26 AM
Blood Brother's have always irked me as well. It's definitely the guys voice that put me off of them.

Z Standard
07-31-2009, 01:54 AM
BULIMIC RAINBOWS VOMIT WHAT?
BURN, PIANO ISLAND, BURN!

I was thought The Blood Brothers were very awkward vocal wise, I probably would like them if I actually bought an album instead of listening to songs on youtube.

Magero
07-31-2009, 01:58 AM
I just think he's trying too hard to be quirky.
I listened to some Jaguar Love, about a year ago and my first thought was "Hah, nice octaver effect" and then I realised that that was his normal voice and had to turn it off before some puppies got mutilated.

saxaxe
07-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Does Thrice qualify? The Alchemy Index is incredible and I just found out they're playing in Baltimore with Brand New in November. SO STOKED.

aggiefan33
07-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Does Thrice qualify? The Alchemy Index is incredible and I just found out they're playing in Baltimore with Brand New in November. SO STOKED.
I'd say so, agreed on all counts. Daedalus is just a perfect song. And they're heavy as **** live.

goldmember1217
07-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Blood Brother's have always irked me as well. It's definitely the guys voice that put me off of them.
Johnny's voice does get a bit ridiculous at times but overall I think it suits the music really well. Especially on their non-hardcore songs, like Live at the Apocalypse Cabaret.

Also anyone here into These Arms are Snakes? they kick arse.

Valderama
07-31-2009, 05:56 PM
uuuhhh.... fall of troy? and at the drive in is pretty good.
Both bands are siiickkkk.

I think Fugazi are good aswell, they are diverse band, anyone can listen to them and like it in one way or another.
ESCAPE THE FATE FUCK YEAH.
Eugh.
Not my thing, good singer(s) but musically they are one of the cheesiest bands i've ever heard.

saxaxe
07-31-2009, 06:42 PM
I'd say so, agreed on all counts. Daedalus is just a perfect song. And they're heavy as **** live.
Daedalus is incredible. Probably my favorite song by them. I saw them before I was really into them, which was a shame.

+}-136-{+
07-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Well one thing is clear about the Blood Brothers: People either love or hate the vocals. I'm on the side that loves them. I just think they're fucking incredible because he can get up to that range and still sound that intense.

Thrice are brilliant. The Alchemy Index is brilliant. I've listened to Fire and Water more than Air and Earth but I love them both. All great songs. I've always loved that Frodus cover, "The Earth Isn't Humming" despite having never heard the original. "Digging My Own Grave" is another favorite from Earth as well.

IcePh0enix
07-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Thrice is so good. I definetly need to see them with Brand New (also amazing), but the tickets are 30$ which kind of sucks. It will be worth it though

willingvictim
08-01-2009, 12:15 AM
I like Thrice's older stuff a lot more than the newer jams.. though the alchemy index was cool

I hate the Blood Brothers though.. regardless of voice.. the music isn't my thing.

saxaxe
08-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I love the Blood Brothers. For anyone who likes the Blood Brothers music, but not the vocals, check out The Murder of Rosa Luxemborg. Similar style, without the obnoxious vocals.

afallenone
08-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I love the Blood Brothers. For anyone who likes the Blood Brothers music, but not the vocals, check out The Murder of Rosa Luxemborg. Similar style, without the obnoxious vocals.

those guys are wacky and sweet

Z Standard
08-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Illusion of Safety is amazing. Wasn't really into the Alchemy Index.

IcePh0enix
08-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I honstly enjoy everything Thrice has put out, but I think Vheissu is their best.

aggiefan33
08-02-2009, 01:59 AM
I honstly enjoy everything Thrice has put out, but I think Vheissu is their best.
^^^

likeomgtehtuck!
08-02-2009, 02:02 AM
i redownloaded the blood brothers discography, i love it :)

recklessnick
08-02-2009, 03:19 PM
http://www.myspace.com/sightsandsounds

is this considered post-hardcore.
cos this is awesome.

and uh, envy?

SadistNation
08-04-2009, 03:00 AM
i would definitely say that Envy is not post-hardcore.

Mew anyone? I have recently gotten into them, i'm not positive if i would clump them into post-hardcore but regradless, this song is amazing, most of the album Frengers is exquisite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rnTRQ53pHs

not post-hardcore in the least (come to think of it, it was extremely late, i am sorry) but i still think some of you will enjoy them.

some what related post-hardcore post, has anyone heard Head Wound City? It features members of The Locust and The Blood Brothers?

Cianyx
08-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Mew is dream pop/shoegaze...?