07-28-2009, 04:21 PM
What's more punx?

EDIT: That better?

Guitar_Kingdom
07-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah thats better :haha:

Flipje
07-28-2009, 04:33 PM
well actually downloading is legal were I'm from, but anyhow. Isn't the point of being punk not caring what others think about you? So is your question in fact as anti-punk as it gets?
Anyway I'd say buy it if you like it.

axeslash
07-28-2009, 04:33 PM
I Support Illegal Downloading And I Don't Support Guitar_kingdom Because I Am Moar Punx Than All Of You

devourthekitten
07-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Illegal downloading and vinyl are the only forms of music I have. I'm so punx.

charliezard!
07-28-2009, 04:52 PM
I usually go for both when I like an album.
There's no point in buying CDs anymore, but I buy lots of vinyls.

RockThe40oz
07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
I only buy vinyl because when I get a CD, I just rip it to my computer and it gets lost in the sea of music I have. I never put a CD into a player and listen the whole way through. Vinyl is much more personal for me, and supporting bands you like is way more punx than stealing their music.

Lots O' FX
07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
well actually downloading is legal were I'm from, but anyhow. Isn't the point of being punk not caring what others think about you? So is your question in fact as anti-punk as it gets?
Anyway I'd say buy it if you like it.

I wasn't doing it to know what i should do to get punks to like me, it was a joke / "how do you listen to music?" topic (i always thought using punx is the universal signal of a joke about being punk.)
Personally i use CDs, can't find a decently priced record player and no where (that i know of) sells vinyl. But i don't like to download songs because buying CDs gives me something to collect and few things are more rewarding than finding an album you have been trying to find for a ridiculous amount of time.

devourthekitten
07-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Lots O' FX: Amazon has great prices on record players and speakers. Interpunk can supply the vinyl.

:D

pinheadslts75
07-28-2009, 06:05 PM
I'd totally buy vinyl because I'm turning into an audiophile, but I don't have a record player or the money to spend on one.

StreetLight3989
07-28-2009, 06:53 PM
I buy Vinyl, but I'll usually download a copy too because I like having it on my iPod. I probably download more than I buy vinyl though.

axeslash
07-28-2009, 07:16 PM
There's no point in buying CDs anymore, but I buy lots of vinyls.Wait, really? Is this some clever joke or are you really that dumb?

Guitar_Kingdom
07-28-2009, 08:09 PM
I Support Illegal Downloading And I Don't Support Guitar_kingdom Because I Am Moar Punx Than All Of You
fine :haha:

charliezard!
07-28-2009, 09:13 PM
Wait, really? Is this some clever joke or are you really that dumb?

Huh?
CDs can be easily burned. If I wanted a CD, I'd burn it. I always like to support bands by buying their stuff, but when I do, I'd rather have something that I can't easily replicate. Plus vinyls are way more interesting and I feel much better about having the vinyls that I have than the CDs.

I don't see what's wrong with this. You are ridiculously quick to freak the f*ck out over everything.

SKAtastic7770
07-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I wise man once told me "No body deserves your money" so I live by that philosophy. I love vinyls though, great audio quality, the downside beig they dont get on my ipod.

RiotRiotUpstart
07-28-2009, 11:21 PM
I'd like to say I only download music to see if I'll like a band, then I buy their CD. But I don't, so **** it. I do buy CDs at local shows every and then though.

Most of the bands I listen to would be very difficult to try and actually track down a tangible record anyway. The more popular bands I listen to can suck it, they don't need the extra $11 from me buying their CD. The band itself would probably only see about $2 of that money anyway.

charliezard!
07-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Most of the bands I listen to would be very difficult to try and actually track down a tangible record anyway. .

I don't believe this.

axeslash
07-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Huh?
CDs can be easily burned. If I wanted a CD, I'd burn it. I always like to support bands by buying their stuff, but when I do, I'd rather have something that I can't easily replicate. Plus vinyls are way more interesting and I feel much better about having the vinyls that I have than the CDs.

I don't see what's wrong with this. You are ridiculously quick to freak the f*ck out over everything.Let's look at why this is wrong and you should feel bad:

CDs being easily burned is a plus.
Wanting something difficult to replicate is confusing and unnecessary.
Vinyl is more interesting if you find a big large easily breakable record that has lower sound quality to be "interesting." Not to mention the fact that you can't take a record collection with you as easily, you can't play it in your car, and you can't exactly burn them to disc as easily.

Collecting vinyl is for hipsters. Fact.

neidnarb11890
07-29-2009, 12:49 AM
The only excuse for wanting a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

All vinyls are quite useless.

:daisy:

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Let's look at why this is wrong and you should feel bad:

CDs being easily burned is a plus.
Wanting something difficult to replicate is confusing and unnecessary.
Vinyl is more interesting if you find a big large easily breakable record that has lower sound quality to be "interesting." Not to mention the fact that you can't take a record collection with you as easily, you can't play it in your car, and you can't exactly burn them to disc as easily.

Collecting vinyl is for hipsters. Fact.

This was ****ing stupid. Seriously.
I have an iPod. I can listen to any music that I want with a quickness. Your CD collection is for hipsters. MP3s are infinitely more convenient and practical. I can take them anywhere and play them any time I want. Your CD case couldn't hold anywhere close to as much as an Ipod can, and it's 20 times the size, heavier, and takes so much more time and effort.

As far as Vinyls vs CDs for collecting, Vinyls win easy. You really can't argue with that.

DempseyPunk
07-29-2009, 01:19 AM
I got vinyls, cds and also cassettes for mah walkman. I buy all my stuff cos Dr.Strange records is like a 20 drive or 40 minute bus ride from my house

lolmnt
07-29-2009, 02:04 AM
I much prefer vinyl to mp3s, but you can't download vinyl for free. CDs are lame, but they're the cheapest way to put out music (outside of digital only releases, which are ****ing lame), so they're pretty damn punx.

werty22
07-29-2009, 02:24 AM
This was ****ing stupid. Seriously.
I have an iPod. I can listen to any music that I want with a quickness. Your CD collection is for hipsters. MP3s are infinitely more convenient and practical. I can take them anywhere and play them any time I want. Your CD case couldn't hold anywhere close to as much as an Ipod can, and it's 20 times the size, heavier, and takes so much more time and effort.

As far as Vinyls vs CDs for collecting, Vinyls win easy. You really can't argue with that.
He was saying CDs are more practical than vinyl, not that they're more practical than downloading. Vinyls are more "collectible" of course, they just aren't practical. And he's correct that vinyl is for hipsters. Also, I seriously doubt he has a "CD collection" because he seems to pride himself in downloading lots of music.

waldorphPRS41
07-29-2009, 02:37 AM
Vinyl and downloads are all I have. I am getting more and more cassettes though.

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 03:01 AM
He was saying CDs are more practical than vinyl, not that they're more practical than downloading. Vinyls are more "collectible" of course, they just aren't practical. And he's correct that vinyl is for hipsters. Also, I seriously doubt he has a "CD collection" because he seems to pride himself in downloading lots of music.

If he was saying that, he was missing the point. My initial post was that I download my music, but for collecting and band support, I buy vinyls.

axeslash
07-29-2009, 04:32 AM
As far as Vinyls vs CDs for collecting, Vinyls win easy. You really can't argue with that.Yeah, I can't argue that. Unfortunately I use logic in my arguments.

And since you missed the point of my post, let me sum it up:

IF YOU COLLECT VINYL, AND YOU DON'T LIVE IN THE 80'S, YOU ARE A DUMB HIPSTER.

I know this will piss off about half of the forum but whatever. The vinyl fetish our generation is going through is rather sickening.

SUPAH EDIT:
23847 songs, 85.01 GB of music. Suck on that charliezard.

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 05:29 AM
^
I have more than that, so um... suck on that.

And, do you not collect CDs?
If I'm going to collect anything it would be vinyl.

Unfortunately I use logic in my arguments.

You mean like right here?

BrianApocalypse
07-29-2009, 05:31 AM
I don't listen to music anymore, I just listen to guitar pro versions of songs because I like how cheesy everything sounds in midi.

lavazza
07-29-2009, 06:26 AM
I don't listen to music anymore, I just listen to guitar pro versions of songs because I like how cheesy everything sounds in midi.

putting a guitar pro into midi changes the file.......I just did that and the melody is always a beat behind the bass, thatīs awful

BrianApocalypse
07-29-2009, 07:35 AM
I don't have that problem. I use tuxguitar though, because I'm cheap like that.

This worked out fine, even though it's the first thing I ever made and could probably do it a hell of a lot better now.

(I'll upload it to my profile as the file is 63kb so I can't post it here.)

BrianApocalypse
07-29-2009, 07:45 AM
Oh, wait, removed a rhythm guitar track and it should fit now!

Right click etc etc.

lavazza
07-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Sounds like some Win 3.1 game

bloodycomfort
07-29-2009, 08:12 AM
^
I have more than that, so um... suck on that.

And, do you not collect CDs?
If I'm going to collect anything it would be vinyl.

Agreed, CD's just don't seem as interesting, and if you want to argue about portability, MP3's overrule that area. I think that guy just spends loads of money on CD's and you're starting to make him feel bad. :haha:

DanRev
07-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I dont really get any punk music on vinyl.

Dance music and classic LPs only.

waldorphPRS41
07-29-2009, 10:03 AM

That's really ignorant. The way vinyl is pressed and recorded is in the exact same sound waves that our ears hear it so it sounds so much better, mp3s are just compressed and minimized to be as little as possible without actually working with our ears and soundwaves the way that vinyl does. I always knew vinyl sounded better but then one of my Mas Comm professors got on the subject one day and completely described the process and the facts of why they should sound better, not just opinions.

BrianApocalypse
07-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Sounds like some Win 3.1 game

Yeah, that's basically the idea. Or the soundtrack to any 2-d RPG game.

werty22
07-29-2009, 10:40 AM
That's really ignorant. The way vinyl is pressed and recorded is in the exact same sound waves that our ears hear it so it sounds so much better, mp3s are just compressed and minimized to be as little as possible without actually working with our ears and soundwaves the way that vinyl does. I always knew vinyl sounded better but then one of my Mas Comm professors got on the subject one day and completely described the process and the facts of why they should sound better, not just opinions.
Sounding better isn't punx.

You can (kind of) fix the lag problem in Guitar Pro by changing the latency options in the sound settings. But really if you want the track to stay perfectly in time, you have to use either all MIDI synth sounds or all RSE sounds. No mixing. Actually, even the RSE timing gets a little weird if you use a swing rhythm.

neidnarb11890
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
I live in the 80's. :cool:

RiotRiotUpstart
07-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I don't believe this.

A lot of what I listen to is obscure crust, j-core and 80's hardcore from the midwest. If you can find me a website that sells a huge collection of records that haven't been printed in 20+ years, then I'll let your statement slide. Until then, shut the **** up, you pretentious prick.

devourthekitten
07-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Gimme your dick.

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 02:24 PM
A lot of what I listen to is obscure crust, j-core and 80's hardcore from the midwest. If you can find me a website that sells a huge collection of records that haven't been printed in 20+ years, then I'll let your statement slide. Until then, shut the **** up, you pretentious prick.

Pretentious? Ha. I'm just saying that you can find a lot of stuff if you look hard enough. A little Defensive, huh? Anyway, I usually check the bands label or myspace to find information on how to buy their records. If they're still being sold (I don't see why they wouldn't be) then you can find them.

edit:
I typed in "crust j-core vinyls," and this was the first thing that popped up
http://www.mrpibbs.com/inmat/Catalogue.html

Not sure if that's the kind of stuff you're looking for.

axeslash
07-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Agreed, CD's just don't seem as interesting, and if you want to argue about portability, MP3's overrule that area. I think that guy just spends loads of money on CD's and you're starting to make him feel bad. :haha:*sigh*

I don't spend money on CDs. I don't spend money on .mp3's or .FLAC's or .m4a's or .wma or whatever format fits your taste. If you're gonna insult me you'd do a lot better than to make assumptions, as you've done it twice now and made yourself look like a total prick.That's really ignorant. The way vinyl is pressed and recorded is in the exact same sound waves that our ears hear it so it sounds so much better, mp3s are just compressed and minimized to be as little as possible without actually working with our ears and soundwaves the way that vinyl does. I always knew vinyl sounded better but then one of my Mas Comm professors got on the subject one day and completely described the process and the facts of why they should sound better, not just opinions.Well let me be the first to call your Mas Comm professor a dumb hipster.

First off, .mp3's don't degrade with repeated use. Vinyl on the other hand degrades every time you use it. It isn't by a lot, and you can keep vinyl in good shape for a while, but it does degrade. This much is fact.

Now let me give you a little lesson in audio compression. .mp3's filter out sound that is inaudible to the human ear. That is, if something quiet plays directly after something loud, you won't be able to notice it as you can not possibly adjust fast enough to hear it, and other things like that. Vinyl does capture more of the sound that a .mp3 does, but it's the kind of sound that you actually can't notice. I don't know where you get this "mp3s are just compressed and minimized to be as little as possible without actually working with our ears and soundwaves the way that vinyl does" since that sentence makes very little sense. Working our ears? Music isn't an exercise broski. There are simple limits to how much sound our ears and brains can process, and .mp3's use this to compress music with very little loss to what you perceive to hear. But if you're some crazy music fetishist who really cares about those little nuances that you can't hear just get music in a lossless format like .WAV or lossless compression like .FLAC.

And before I forget, how much music do you have charliezard?

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 05:06 PM
I have 78 gigs right now, because my hard drive crashed a while back, and I haven't quite finished picking up the rest. It'll probably be around 88 or something when I'm done.

edit: I don't just download discogs of every band I moderately enjoy. Bleh. Too many people seem to do that. I listen to all that I have...or try to anyway.

axeslash
07-29-2009, 05:09 PM
I have 78 gigs right now, because my hard drive crashed a while back, and I haven't quite finished picking up the rest. It'll probably be around 88 or something when I'm done.So I still have moar than you. I WIN.

lolmnt
07-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Vinyl is cool because the big album art. And when I listen to an album on vinyl it's kind of a special occasion because I rarely do it. I don't give a **** how that sounds.

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 05:12 PM
So I still have moar than you. I WIN.

:p:

Vinyl is cool because the big album art. And when I listen to an album on vinyl it's kind of a special occasion because I rarely do it. I don't give a **** how that sounds.

This is how I feel. They also have better liner notes sometimes.
It's more of a novelty, I guess. I rarely listen to my vinyls, but when I do, I always seem to enjoy it more for some reason.

devourthekitten
07-29-2009, 05:16 PM
I love Collin's title. Spongebob ftw!

axeslash
07-29-2009, 05:26 PM
This is how I feel. They also have better liner notes sometimes.
It's more of a novelty, I guess.A $5-$20 novelty.

devourthekitten
07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
I like vinyl sound the best, obviously. I'm just too poor to have records. The only ones I have that I listen to are "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" by Black Sabbath and "The Argument" by Fugazi and some powerviolence.

lolmnt
07-29-2009, 05:49 PM
A $5-$20 novelty.As compared to a CD that costs $5-$20?

RockThe40oz
07-29-2009, 05:49 PM
A $5-$20 novelty.
Sometimes it's nice to support bands by actually purchasing music... and I find that a lot of times the vinyl version of new releases is the same price or $1-2 cheaper.

It's all personal preference, though. I like buying old, used subhumans vinyls because I'm a dumb hipster.

Also, I have a couple vinyls that I absolutely could not find on CD or MP3 download (Thatcher On Acid, Poison Girls specifically). That being said, I have a few CDs that don't have vinyl versions. If it's a band I really really like, I'll buy something from them in some shape or form, vinyl preferred. I can rip my vinyls to MP3 with a little more effort than a CD and I tend to actually listen to full albums on vinyl than I do on MP3 where it gets lost in shuffle mode.

axeslash
07-29-2009, 06:21 PM
As compared to a CD that costs $5-$20?My argument there wasn't that buying vinyl is silly compared to CDs. My argument was that if you buy albums for the booklet you just paid $5-$20 dollars for a few small pages that can fit in a CD, or an insert in a record.

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 06:35 PM
My argument there wasn't that buying vinyl is silly compared to CDs. My argument was that if you buy albums for the booklet you just paid $5-$20 dollars for a few small pages that can fit in a CD, or an insert in a record.

I'm paying 5-20 dollars to support the band and to have a physical copy of an album that I like. Not to have a little booklet.
I prefer vinyl over a CD because:

- They're more of a collector's item (limited colored pressings and limited pressings overall)
- They have better sound quality
- Bigger album art, which is actually a lot cooler than it seems, especially for interesting art.
- Better liner notes
- CDs can be easily made from mp3s, and vinyls can't.

Can you not wrap your head around this?

werty22
07-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Gah why can't you just agree to disagree? Some people just don't care enough about collectibility or artwork to pay for an impractical (admit it, it's impractical) thing like vinyl records. It's fine if you want to spend your money on them, but you should know by now not to argue with Axe. Just let it go.

lolmnt
07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
It's not any more impractical than a CD.

RockThe40oz
07-29-2009, 07:17 PM
It's not any more impractical than a CD.
Yeah it is.

werty22
07-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I agree. But Axe doesn't buy CDs either.

Actually, I think they are less practical because they're less compact and you can't play them in a portable player or a car (like anyone does that anymore anyway). And you can rip directly to a computer without having to go to the trouble of downloading the album. But of course that doesn't make CDs objectively better.

devourthekitten
07-29-2009, 07:26 PM
I use burned CD's in the car and in a portable player. whaddafuxurproblem?

BostonLacrosse
07-29-2009, 07:34 PM
I agree. But Axe doesn't buy CDs either.

Actually, I think they are less practical because they're less compact and you can't play them in a portable player or a car (like anyone does that anymore anyway). And you can rip directly to a computer without having to go to the trouble of downloading the album. But of course that doesn't make CDs objectively better.

i listen to CDs in my car :(

i am a cd/ vinyl person myself, just kind of the way i was raised, my step dad has a pretty large record and cd collection and i admired that and wouldnt mind having a collection that large someday. Im just not a huge fan of mp3s partly because with the increase popularity of mp3s there is a decrease in the idea of a concept album, and that the album as a whole is greater then the sum of its parts (is that how the saying goes?). Its an outdated form of thinking but it works for me so **** off you think im stupid for doing what i do :peace:

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Gah why can't you just agree to disagree?

:shrug:
I dunno.

He started it.

DanRev
07-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Dumb Hipsters unite!

I've been payed for being a dumb hipster, so I'm sorted.

lolmnt
07-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah it is.How? You get a nifty download code on most new vinyl so you can put it on your computer.

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 08:16 PM
^ I thought that was a really smart idea.

Iluvpowerchords
07-29-2009, 08:22 PM
U guise are silly.

Everyone knows 8 track rules all.

axeslash
07-29-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm paying 5-20 dollars to support the band and to have a physical copy of an album that I like. Not to have a little booklet.
I prefer vinyl over a CD because:

- They're more of a collector's item (limited colored pressings and limited pressings overall)
- They have better sound quality
- Bigger album art, which is actually a lot cooler than it seems, especially for interesting art.
- Better liner notes
- CDs can be easily made from mp3s, and vinyls can't.

Can you not wrap your head around this?You still don't understand my position that collecting vinyl is dumb, whether or not you compare it to collecting CDs or mp3's.

The sound quality isn't better. You people are lying. You all must be deaf or get off on listening to a layer of fuzz over your music. It fucking blows my mind that anyone would dare make that argument.

Collector's items are for consumer whores. You'll buy an album because it comes in a pretty color? Congratulations, you've just made the same financial decision a toddler would make.

I'll accept the bigger album art and liner notes argument. Not that it is worth the money, but I'll take it.

And we come to your last point: "CDs can be easily made from mp3s, and vinyls can't." I think I'm missing something, because it appears that you enjoy your music collection to be less portable. Oh well. Not like anything else you've said has made much sense.

DanRev
07-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Axe, vinyl does sound better. If you just compare punk then maybe I can see your argument, but played through a decent set up Dance Music and alot of deeper more atmospheric albums sound better when it comes from a nice slab of 180g vinyl.

Plus there's numerous advantages when it comes to beatmatching.

Vinyl does sound better with many many types of music.

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 08:42 PM
I don't know. I like collecting vinyls. So do a lot of people. I feel sorry for people who have to have well thought out reasons to do every single thing they do. Learn to enjoy stuff for what it is, man.

devourthekitten
07-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Vinyl quality is far superior to CD's and computer files. Even with punk/hardcore. I listen to powerviolence more on vinyl than any other format.

RizzoWashburn
07-29-2009, 08:47 PM
The sound quality isn't better. You people are lying. You all must be deaf or get off on listening to a layer of fuzz over your music. It fucking blows my mind that anyone would dare make that argument.
It does sound better. Vinyl is less compressed than CDs, so yes, there is more gain/fuzz/static, but the sound is much more dynamic which makes it sound better.

You're idea of "sound quality" is a clean recording void of extra noise, pops, buzz, etc. However, you're not realizing that with that cleaner recording you are sacrificing dynamics fullness, and much more lively sound.

werty22
07-29-2009, 09:03 PM
tru punx don't care about dynamics

devourthekitten
07-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Tru punx listen to music recorded on paper.

charliezard!
07-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Tru punx listen to music recorded on paper.

:haha:

devourthekitten
07-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Shut the fuck up. I wasn't kidding.

serioooooooseeeee.....

RizzoWashburn
07-29-2009, 10:00 PM
:haha

axeslash
07-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Fuck it I quit. God damned hipsters.

RockThe40oz
07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
How? You get a nifty download code on most new vinyl so you can put it on your computer.
They take up more space than CDs and are harder to keep in good condition.

yeahyeah
07-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Digital music breeds lazy listening habits.

RockThe40oz
07-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Digital music breeds lazy listening habits.
Agreed, which is one of the main reasons I like vinyl. It's nice to listen to full albums and learn to appreciate every song on them since it's a little more annoying to try to skip songs.

BrianApocalypse
07-30-2009, 11:07 AM
If I may interject, I would force the opinion the only reason that Vinyl sounds better than CD is because CDs are simply not mastered properly. A red book file with top notch production quality will sound as good (possibly better when you take into account the lack of degradation in the signal chain) as a top notch analogue recording.

Yes, it will lack the analogue sound and feel, the little scratches, ripples and nuances, which to many people constitutes a whole dimension of the musical experience but from an audiophile point of view the quality will be right up there.

Digital recording doesn't magically kill dynamic range, that only tends to happen because misguided record producers demand overcompression, a fault that does NOT lie in the inherent characteristics of the digital format.

There is an argument that digital recording isn't as amplitude-friendly or flexible as its analogue brother, because obviously analogue clipping is acceptable to an extent and digital clipping isn't. HOWEVER, good recording, mixing and mastering practices and processes will negate any advantage.

It really is only when greedy f*ckers want maxed out 0dB recordings so that clubs will play them to make money that the digital world fails.

I have a degree in record production so I'm an expert. That means that if you disagree or refute this then you can just go f*ck yourself! :)

RizzoWashburn
07-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Digital recording doesn't magically kill dynamic range, that only tends to happen because misguided record producers demand overcompression, a fault that does NOT lie in the inherent characteristics of the digital format.
That's not what I was saying. I was just pointing out that the majority of music in CD format nowadays is over compressed and therefore inferior in quality to vinyl, which is generally much more dynamic.

whyvern
07-30-2009, 02:09 PM
I buy records because alot of the music I listen only comes out on it. I hate sitting around listening to music on a computer, you can't sit around and turn the record, you can't hold the songs in your hand, you can't see the grooves that the music comes from. It's just like how I write letters because I hate e-mail. I also listen to tapes alot because it's an effective way to carry around the music I like.

Ok yeah, I can put it on to the computer and easily share it with people all over the world which is ****ing awesome, but that doesn't replace having something physical in yer hand. I read the newspaper, I don't read the news on the internet. I'd rather read yer ****ty zine than yer ****ty blog. I guess if that makes me a hipster than someone needs to give me a subscription to VICE (or you can just e-mail it to me!).

I don't care about the sound quality. The idea of putting music on vinyl is just more appealing than CD. No matter how much you tell me I'm wrong. I don't care. I don't buy records for consumerist purposes, so don't tell me that I do. I don't buy a record because I "have to have it", no. I buy it because my friend or a punk like me created something and this is an effective medium for sharing it worldwide. While you might be blessed to have a computer than can play MP3s, Punk kids in alot of the world don't have that. So they rely on tapes and 7"s, technologies which might seem ancient to you but are still very practical in alot of the world. When I was in Morocco, no one sold MP3 downloads of bands... they sold bootleg tapes becuase that's the easiest and cheapest way to get music out.

I don't remember someone giving me MP3's ever but I remember when my someone gave me a record. It's **** like that, that digital mediums will never be able to replace. I can't give someone my blog, MP3 or digital photo, but I can give them a zine, 7" and a polaroid.

Also as a side note please don't call them vinyls... that's the format, like how you don't call Videos, VHS's, the actual thing is a record dude... that's why it's the 'record store' not 'vinyls store'.

edit: axelash, calling everyone a ****ing hipster and then throwing yer hands up in the air doesn't help at all or make yer point any stronger. If we're all hipsters what are you? What makes you better than us? Because you listen to MP3's? **** that. Hipsters are morally depraved people who care about fashion and vanity... show me a punk that does and I'll show you someone who just doesn't ****in' get it. Punks are ugly and because of that we're beautiful. Hipsters are just beautiful and everything we can never be.

DanRev
07-30-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm beautiful.

lolmnt
07-30-2009, 07:38 PM
They take up more space than CDs and are harder to keep in good condition.Good point.Digital music breeds lazy listening habits.Also a good point.

axeslash
07-31-2009, 12:32 AM
I listen to music because I enjoy listening to music. I forget you people can't enjoy music without pondering the metaphysical implications of the medium of the music. I guess I'm just too old fashioned for this newfangled punk movement you kids are into.

Edit: I also find it cute that whyvern is afraid of technology. Especially since I used to have such high respect for the vastness and diversity of his music collection.

whyvern
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
I listen to music because I enjoy listening to music. I forget you people can't enjoy music without pondering the metaphysical implications of the medium of the music. I guess I'm just too old fashioned for this newfangled punk movement you kids are into.

Edit: I also find it cute that whyvern is afraid of technology. Especially since I used to have such high respect for the vastness and diversity of his music collection.

Where did I say I'm afraid of technology? I said I hate e-mail.... that's about it.

I use technology all the time but when it comes down to actually sitting around and listening to music, I wanna do it on an actual stereo. I have a computer, I use it all the time for lots of things. It's great to find movies and stuff that I wouldn't be able to find in Italy and it's also great to find out about music too, but like I said when I want to actually sit down and listen to the music, I use a stereo.

You like to listen to music, that's cool. Don't be a dick about the way people other people choose to listen to music. I just told you why I like to listen to analog music, that's all. I don't care if someone wants to listen to music digitally, I really don't. There's so many more important things than that... again I was just tellin ya what I believe.

kayaress one
07-31-2009, 01:07 PM
I wise man once told me "No body deserves your money" so I live by that philosophy. I love vinyls though, great audio quality, the downside beig they dont get on my ipod.
*Head explodes*
:wtf:

BrianApocalypse
07-31-2009, 03:54 PM
That's not what I was saying. I was just pointing out that the majority of music in CD format nowadays is over compressed and therefore inferior in quality to vinyl, which is generally much more dynamic.

Right, but that's not the inherent fault of the CD medium as some people in this thread were saying, it's just a f*cktarded convention. :)

I do hold value in the vinyl format [correct terminology here David? :p:], the only thing that really keeps me from having a collection larger than two is that fact that it's harder to put together a decent sounding rig, whereas a CD or MP3 simply plays on my computer and sounds great with no faffing around with aux inputs.

I think that the idea of a vinyl with an MP3 code is good as well, because you can have your cake, and take a slice away in a doggy bag (a clever analogy I thought of for having an MP3 player!)

Angus76
07-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Damn this is an intense arguement.

RockThe40oz
07-31-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm currently listening to Thatcher On Acid on vinyl... by far one of my favorites because it's the only medium I've found it on.

devourthekitten
07-31-2009, 07:22 PM
Two people have me in their signatures, and not for compliments.

I am the tr00est p0nx.

Lots O' FX
07-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Damn this is an intense arguement.

Glad I indirectly started it

lavazza
08-01-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm currently listening to Thatcher On Acid on vinyl... by far one of my favorites because it's the only medium I've found it on.

:(

lounge act
08-01-2009, 03:44 PM
I looked for Thatcher on Acid to download online forever but I could only find it on vinyl. Vinyl > MP3

axeslash
08-01-2009, 03:59 PM
After 5 minutes of searching I found plenty of Thatcher On Acid.

You people suck at piracy.

lavazza
08-02-2009, 10:26 AM
I never found any Thatcher on acid on any medium apart from myspace

axeslash
08-02-2009, 05:42 PM
You people suck HARD at piracy.

charliezard!
08-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I just found tons in under 10 seconds.