Seagull vs. Breedlove vs. Taylor

PDA

View Full Version : Seagull vs. Breedlove vs. Taylor

Ibanezguy22
07-29-2009, 11:39 PM
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-Studio-D25-SM-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105131288-i1425166.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-110ce-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-514494-i1323884.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Maritime-Series-Cutaway-Dreadnought-QII-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-with-Gig-Bag-516943-i1391093.gc

So I played MANY guitars today at my GC and these are the 3 in which ive narrowed down to and now cant decide.... They are all great guitars and each one is better in a certain area... All are Cut-Aways (a neccesity in my next guitar) as well as they all have solid Tops...

The Breedlove
-Really was a standout, especially because I had no intention to buy one.
-Maybe the best Tone of the 3 gutiars

The Taylor
-Ive know its one of Taylor's lower guitars, but for the price I feel like i deffinately get my money's worth
-Probably the easiest to play of the 3
-Very Similar tone to that of the Breedlove (VERY SIMILAR to my ear)

The Seagull
-$100 Cheaper and includes a similar solid top
-A warmer tone that that of the Taylor and Breedlove
-Heard many great things about this smaller company

Please what are your opinions of these guitars and your suggestions...?

TK1
07-29-2009, 11:42 PM
i personally like seagulls, they sound great, look great, and last forever. age well too ive heard. ive also played some taylors before, and the most memorable one was 3k usd, sounded amazing. i havent heard of breedlove, but hey, its all about how it FEELS to play. next time you go, play each one again.pick the one that feels best in your hands.

Artemis Entreri
07-29-2009, 11:43 PM
It's all down to what you like honestly. But I'd really, really avoid that Taylor. I'd vote for the Breedlove out of personal preference. But look for a used Martin D-16gt. You might like that, unless of course, you are set on a cutaway. Then I'd go with the breedlove. A lot of people love Seagulls, but I don't know anything about them.

chuckmehh
07-29-2009, 11:48 PM
I only have experience with Seagulls, and I thought it was one of the better acoustics I have ever played, much better than my friend's Alvarez and any other acoustics in that shop (which was a small shop). I would go for that one as I have also heard great things about them.

jimtaka
07-30-2009, 12:48 AM
I'd go for the Breedlove simply because you said you thought it sounded the best.

fngrstylgtr
07-30-2009, 01:51 AM
I'd go for the seagull, but if you're gonna go seagull... then why not go S&P? Simon and Patrick are by the same people as Seagull, but have have better choice and quality IMO. But, outta the 3 the Seagull for sure ;)

patticake
07-30-2009, 02:17 AM
the breedloves have the stiffest tension of any guitars i've played - even when you use lighter strings. i fell madly in love with one of the atlas series - a studio model with ovankol - but after a guy at gc changed the strings to extra lights for me and checked the neck relief (it was normal), and it still caused me pain other guitars did not, i sadly decided the breedlove atlas series was not for me. if you have mighty wrists, elbows and fingers, you may not find the stiffness a problem.

the taylor 110ce is on my list right now, and from your list it's the one i'd probably go for. it's extremely easy to play - which is surprising because of the nut width, which is fairly slim. gentle to the fingers. even so, it has plenty of bass, sparkling highs, great presence that will cut through other instruments a bit if you're finger picking, and all the ones i played are high quality and consistent from guitar to guitar. i notice some people on this board say that with taylor, you pay for the name. not true - you pay for a well-made, well-set up guitar, possibly the most consistent quality of any company, with very good sound and very good customer service.

although i haven't seen this exact model, the seagull is probably a good bet. i haven't found seagulls to be as consistent as taylors, but the mahogany/wild cherry laminate sounds interesting... i'm a big fan of seagull's wild cherry although i also love taylor's sapele. this isn't a small company, btw - it's owned by godin.

have you plugged in all three to the same amp to see what you think of the electronics?

SeeEmilyPlay
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
I've heard wonderful reviews over the seagull guitars. My friend only plays her seagull acoustic. I've played it quite a few times and it just feels and sounds great and the quality is outstanding.

petercoh7
07-30-2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-Studio-D25-SM-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105131288-i1425166.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-110ce-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-514494-i1323884.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seagull-Maritime-Series-Cutaway-Dreadnought-QII-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-with-Gig-Bag-516943-i1391093.gc

So I played MANY guitars today at my GC and these are the 3 in which ive narrowed down to and now cant decide.... They are all great guitars and each one is better in a certain area... All are Cut-Aways (a neccesity in my next guitar) as well as they all have solid Tops...

The Breedlove

The Taylor
-Ive know its one of Taylor's lower guitars, but for the price I feel like i deffinately get my money's worth
-Probably the easiest to play of the 3
-Very Similar tone to that of the Breedlove (VERY SIMILAR to my ear)

The Seagull
-$100 Cheaper and includes a similar solid top
-A warmer tone that that of the Taylor and Breedlove
-Heard many great things about this smaller company

Please what are your opinions of these guitars and your suggestions...?

I tried out the exact same guitars except for the Taylor. Check the tuners on the Breedlove! The D25 I played at GC here in Maryland had tuners that felt like they had sand in them! It was VERY hard to tune. I also played the Yamaha FGX730SC and thought it had the best action and sound both plugged and unplugged AND it's hundreds cheaper. I was very impressed with Seagull also.

captivate
07-30-2009, 01:54 PM
I'd go for the Breedlove simply because you said you thought it sounded the best.

This. You buy an instrument for it's sound.

As well, out of the three you listed, I would get either the Seagull or the Breedlove. All the 100 and 200 series Taylors I've played don't have any depth to them. They sound like toys. :/

Natrone
07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
As said by Cap, either the Seagull or Breedlove, and as said by Jim, if you find the Breedlove to have the best tone, then go for the Breedlove.

jimtaka
07-30-2009, 04:21 PM
I tried out the exact same guitars except for the Taylor. Check the tuners on the Breedlove! The D25 I played at GC here in Maryland had tuners that felt like they had sand in them! It was VERY hard to tune.
The tension of the tuning pegs is adjustable by that little screw on the end :)

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/jimtaka/DSC02828.jpg

Rallymonkey
07-30-2009, 04:40 PM
the breedloves have the stiffest tension of any guitars i've played - even when you use lighter strings. i fell madly in love with one of the atlas series - a studio model with ovankol - but after a guy at gc changed the strings to extra lights for me and checked the neck relief (it was normal), and it still caused me pain other guitars did not, i sadly decided the breedlove atlas series was not for me. if you have mighty wrists, elbows and fingers, you may not find the stiffness a problem.
Do you care to explain "stiff tension" to me? It sounds quite weird. Probably a matter of a poorly setup guitar?! Action issue etc.

I'm pretty sure the guitar you tried was a standard scale lenght guitar meaning the tension would be the same as the most other acoustics. As opposite to you, I got an Atlas model which is well adjusted and very playable. But I just don't understand that stiff tension.

jimtaka
07-30-2009, 05:03 PM
^-- I have been pondering the same. The amount of tension on the strings is related to scale length, string gauge, and tuning. If you're playing a pretty standard scale guitar and it is in standard tuning and has light strings... the strings should be at relatively the same tension as any other guitar with a similar scale length, the same string gauge, and the same tuning. The action of the guitar affects the scale length and thus the tension. But if the guitar was set up well, it shouldn't have any more tension than any other guitar that is set up well.

Perhaps the Breedloves have a different scale length. I'm not sure. Small changes in scale length can equal noticeable differences in string tension.

patticake
07-30-2009, 06:49 PM
the amount of tension in guitar strings is mostly a matter of scale length, but also if a headstock is tilted back, it can add some tension as if the guitar were longer. of course, strings also feel stiffer when the action is higher. strings can also be stiffer due to poorly cut nuts holding the strings in place.

the breedlove atlas models i play all hurt my fingertips more than any other line i've played. i played a lot of them, because they're so spiffy that i really wanted to own one, but after playing probably thirty something of them, and the action wasn't all that high on any of them, i came to realize the stiffness was unique to the line and not something that i wanted to deal with. after all, gc only takes returns if the guitar is in its original condition, and having the nut and saddle adjusted would not only cost me money but there was no way to know if it was the issue.

it's interesting to hear some people find that the taylor 100 series doesn't sound good. i think it's possible that they are listening with their knowledge of what the guitars are and not with their ears. i've never heard one that sounded less than good. sure, they don't have the full rich sound of a $2200 gc8, but then no guitar in their price range does, including the seagull and breedlove listed here.

vch08
07-30-2009, 07:50 PM
The Breedlove

I think that's a very important point. I hear good things about breedlove as a brand. I'm a huge fan of seagull, as i have their 25th anniversary dreadnought and love it. Beautiful tone, easy to play, and a ridiculously good price for a solid body guitar. As for the Taylor, I've heard that their lower end guitars are overpriced for their quality (or lack thereof), and the few I've played haven't done much for me (their upper end guitars are great, of course).

let us know what you decide on, and good luck!

ikickazz123
07-31-2009, 01:08 PM
I am a huge fan of taylor guitars. I own a 714ce as well as a t5 custom. However Im going to advise you not to get the taylor. The lower end taylors the 1's and 2 series are pretty horrible for the price. I would go with the breedlove. of course if you can find a used 314 within your price range, i highly recommend that.

Frames4ever
07-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Seagull all the way. Playing it in the store doesn't do it justice, especially in guitar center(we all no they take crap care of their acoustics). Once those nice Daddario's they put on it are broken in, they are sweet. You also have to realize that Godin uses different tone woods than most people are used to. My S6 original has a solid ceder top and wild cherry back and sides. It's definitely got a unique sound. Really mellow and warm. But seagulls are also extremely loud guitars. Especially for having laminate back and sides (well at least mine does). Also If I remember right the maritime seagull has a thick gloss finish on the top, and that really diminishes the sound. My S6 is completely natural, with a very thin lacquered finish that really lets the sound boom out. The only downside to a natural finish ceder top is that it gets dinged and scratched really easily. I play really hard and mine is riddled with "character marks." But hey, I'm a huge Fan of Glen Hansard. His guitar has a few extra sound holes, and it sounds great.

clayonfire
07-31-2009, 06:17 PM
I've never played a Taylor or a Seagull, but from my expirience with breedlove, i'd say they are very very nice guitars. But however, buying a guitar is about the tone, so if you think that the breedlove had the best tone, then that should be your choice. It's all about tone and what you think of it.