Can you be edge under 18?

PDA

View Full Version : Can you be edge under 18?

RentACar
07-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm not edge, but I'm wondering if you can be legitimately Straight-Edge under the legal age (18/19/21, etc). I mean, on one hand you're still supporting a movement, but on the other you're basically following the law.

Thoughts?

me_llamo_juan
07-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Yeah you can. My one friend is because his parents will buy him a car if they never find him doing anything illegal.

saxaxe
07-30-2009, 10:38 PM
As much as I give 17 year old straight edge kids shit for that same reason, I believe that yes, you can. There's a lot of pressure for kids to drink, as young as 15 or 16. And you're definitely still part of a huge movement and all, so yea. I'd say you can.

Yeah you can. My one friend is because his parents will buy him a car if they never find him doing anything illegal.

:haha :haha :haha :haha
I'm sorry, your one friend is not edge. No matter what he may think.

Capitalistklok
07-30-2009, 10:39 PM
yeah you can, i know alot of underage people who drink (like me lol... and im ****ing 20 lol) so obviously not straight edge, and also breaking the law. both variables are independent of each other.

killer puppy
07-30-2009, 10:39 PM

so as long as they dont catch him...hell get a car??

being straight edge is one thing, but hiding crap from your parents is something else :haha:

Ycarcomed
07-30-2009, 10:45 PM
That's a good question, let's talk over some Guinness.

alm0st a skat3r
07-30-2009, 10:51 PM
you and your friend are both ****ing retarded if you think that he is straight edge.

willingvictim
07-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Uh.. why does it matter if you are under the age to drink or not? Ok, so if you decide not to drink when you are 16, it's following the law. Why can't your reason for being straight edge be because you want to follow the law? And still, even if you're over the age of 18, there are still plenty of drugs that are illegal. So does that mean they can't be straight edge because they are following the law by not doing them? Poor logic.

Ycarcomed
07-30-2009, 11:15 PM
Uh.. why does it matter if you are under the age to drink or not? Ok, so if you decide not to drink when you are 16, it's following the law. Why can't your reason for being straight edge be because you want to follow the law? And still, even if you're over the age of 18, there are still plenty of drugs that are illegal. So does that mean they can't be straight edge because they are following the law by not doing them? Poor logic.

Because the law dictates everyone, but the choice is yours to make. Straight edge is doing it for yourself, for others, not for the law. Age isn't a factor in it, I'm 17 and I've drank, smoked, and smoked pot for awhile, and it's my choice to do so, it's illegal, but my choice nonetheless - the legality isn't the matter of it, it's the mentality.

willingvictim
07-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Because the law dictates everyone, but the choice is yours to make. Straight edge is doing it for yourself, for others, not for the law. Age isn't a factor in it, I'm 17 and I've drank, smoked, and smoked pot for awhile, and it's my choice to do so, it's illegal, but my choice nonetheless - the legality isn't the matter of it, it's the mentality.

That's what I was trying to say in my post. Forgot sarcasm isn't that clear on the internet.

alm0st a skat3r
07-30-2009, 11:18 PM
exactly.

StreetLight3989
07-30-2009, 11:22 PM
You definitely can be, I'm not, but you can be. I mean I'm 16 and it's not like I don't get in situations where I can drink or smoke if I want about every week. Most high school kids I know either smoke or drink and it's not like it's not out there. I think straight edge is just as legitimate under the legal drinking age.

me_llamo_juan
07-30-2009, 11:36 PM
so as long as they dont catch him...hell get a car??

being straight edge is one thing, but hiding crap from your parents is something else :haha:
nahh I've been at parties with him, he doesn't drink, he doesn't smoke, he doesn't do anything.

Edit: you and your friend are both ****ing retarded if you think that he is straight edge.
Please explain.

willingvictim
07-30-2009, 11:37 PM
yeah but that doesn't mean you are straight edge.

IcePh0enix
07-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Edit:
Please explain.
Straight edge is a movement/label within hardcore punk. You can not drink or do drugs and stuff like that, but that doesn't necesarilly make you edge. It's not like veganism or anything like that.

me_llamo_juan
07-30-2009, 11:41 PM
I know UD isn't always right, but...
Straight edge is basically living a clean life without drugs, drinking and casual sex. It's living a poison free and keeping yourself safe. It is a choice and it does not make you better or worse than anyone. We all make choices and some choose to be straight edge and some don't. Yes, it's true that some people will stop being sXe when they turn 21 but that is just another choice. Straight Edge is a way of life but has now been formed into a trend. Out there, there are true edgers.
1)no drugs
2)no alcohol
3)no promiscuous sex
That was my impression of straight edge.

saxaxe
07-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Straight Edge is a movement within hardcore punk, as was said. When you're straight edge, it's to better yourself by living a healthy lifestyle, not to better yourself by getting your parents to buy you a car.

pmeg568c
07-31-2009, 12:17 AM
another great thread by rent a car.

BGSM
07-31-2009, 12:39 AM
Straight Edge is a movement within hardcore punk, as was said. When you're straight edge, it's to better yourself by living a healthy lifestyle, not to better yourself by getting your parents to buy you a car.

+1.

I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or **** sluts. It's not like I never have the oppurtunity to do so (apart from **** sluts... :( ), it's just my choice. But I don't feel the need to call myself straight edge - I don't X up before shows and my username here isn't xBGSMx. I have plenty of friends that call themselves edge, but to me being straight edge is simply a way of fitting in to a certain subculture. It's unfortunate than the ideal of being straight edge, something in a Minor Threat song, has been taken way out of proportion. I don't see why some people feel the need to go out an tell everyone that they live a certain way and do / don't do certain things.

likeomgtehtuck!
07-31-2009, 12:44 AM
im edge and im 17. i claim edge because i consider myself somewhat in the hardcore punk scene. i believe that if youre not active in this scene, you cant claim edge.

Bignose
07-31-2009, 01:11 AM
Thinking back on my mental capacity when i was 16 in comparison to what it is now, I don't think I could have claimed edge due to naivety. To be edge in many ways is a mature concept. To find that sort of maturity in someone around that age, I feel, is a rare thing due to the mind not being as well developed as someone who is aged 20. Are those who claim edge at a young age mature enough to claim it, or are they acting with the movement?

Guess it depends on the person really...

JxD
07-31-2009, 01:16 AM
I have no problem with kids claiming edge before turning the legal age, I consider it legit. I just don't expect them to adhere to it for their whole lives, even though they might spend years extolling the virtues of edgedom. Maturity is definitely an issue in straight edge and a huge proportion of the kids that call themselves straight edge usually don't have it in them to stick with it for longer than a few years.

Magero
07-31-2009, 01:38 AM
+1.

I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, or **** sluts. It's not like I never have the oppurtunity to do so (apart from **** sluts... :( ), it's just my choice. But I don't feel the need to call myself straight edge - I don't X up before shows and my username here isn't xBGSMx. I have plenty of friends that call themselves edge, but to me being straight edge is simply a way of fitting in to a certain subculture. It's unfortunate than the ideal of being straight edge, something in a Minor Threat song, has been taken way out of proportion. I don't see why some people feel the need to go out an tell everyone that they live a certain way and do / don't do certain things.
+1
Pretty much how I feel.
I respect people's life choices but to me, edge (especially in it's current bastardised form) is redundant. Good for you, you're true to one person, you don't drink, you don't do drugs.
And, why do you need a name for that?
"Oh, you put an X on your hand because you're excersising free will? Awesome?"

Whatever.

MustangMan311
07-31-2009, 02:11 AM
...I assume you went from about 12 years old, right to 30, correct?

Magero
07-31-2009, 02:43 AM
Pretty much.
And then back to 18.

MustangMan311
07-31-2009, 03:14 AM
Pretty much.
And then back to 18.
No, I was talking to the threadstarter. It seems like he doesn't realize how easy it is and how much social pressure there is to drink and smoke before the age of 21 and 18, respectively. As well as how easy it is to.

Hcmanu
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Underage or not, Many teens can get high/drunk/laid when they want.

So yea Edge under 18 is pretty legit to me.

Killcount
07-31-2009, 12:55 PM
I said I was edge till i was 17 and realized it was dumb to label myself. Then I smoked weed, then I drank, then I quit smoking because I needed a job.

then I went to college and started smoking every day. And even the heavy illegal drugs are easy to get, just a couple phone calls. I think you can claim it, just because you can be legitimately faced with those choices, I just dont really like the idea. I don't have a label for myself because I don't do cocaine, or crystal meth or acid or anything, but I'm still not gonna do them

pmeg568c
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
i love acid. hahahah

Killcount
07-31-2009, 01:07 PM
i love acid. hahahah
I'm thinking of trying it. I don't know where I would want to do it though

willingvictim
07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
I did shrooms with "handbanana" before.. still want to try acid

Andybren8690
07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
I am 19, never drank, never somked, never tried any type of drug, never been to a "party"never gotten laid, never stole. So, yeah, i think you can be edge under 18.

Killcount
07-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Shrooms are fun

**** exstacy

pmeg568c
07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
shrooms are terrible. if you liked mushrooms but hated the awkwardness and the come down you will like acid wayy too much. everything that mushroom are but better.

and listen to jazz.

and yes **** ecstasy, but everyone should try molly (pure MDA, basically super E) once before they die. only once though. best feeling you will ever have, but continuous use will **** your brain up

lets make this into a drug thread that would be ironic

Killcount
07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
yeah, thats what I was going for.

I liked mushrooms because time felt slow and I got to analyze absolutely everything that was happening. I got a super awesome (at least at the time) revalation about time. And played alot of super smash bros. I had a 1 on 1 against my friend for a half hour

pmeg568c
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM
haha super smash is always played when i trip. honeslty people say acid is a terrible drug but you feel wayy more "comfortable" on acid than you do on mushrooms and you still analyze the **** out of everything and do the fun things tripping does to you. Acid is less of a visual trip i would say, but i've only done mushrooms twice so i can't really say i've had real visuals.

music is also way better on acid than mushrooms. ever heard people say you'll never listen to music the same again if you do acid? Well its true, but the result is not negative, its probably the coolest thing ever. haha

Killcount
07-31-2009, 01:29 PM
I saw Pink Floyds music on shrooms. It was gnarly. Everything I've seen about acid and heard about it makes it sound fun. Im just debating doing it at a rave or in the mountains or just around town

pmeg568c
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
dont go anywhere in public just do it with a few friends somewhere. Even just in a relaxed home atmosphere. the mood and location is very important. you probably already know that though.

Vermintide
07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
So basically this thread made me want to slam my head into the desk.

Just my opinion, likes, but it's this kind of thing that make me consider xSTRAIGHTXXEDGEx to simply be pretentious nonsense.

People who support it are basically doing good things, but often for entirely the wrong reasons. It's painful to behold.

alm0st a skat3r
07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
People who support it are basically doing good things, but often for entirely the wrong reasons. It's painful to behold.
you have to understand that not everyone is militant and "hatexedge" and all that bull**** about it though. there are far more edge people who do it solely for themselves and don't push their beliefs and get violent about it than the ones that get off by pushing their beliefs.

its just like everything else, theres always going to be a bunch of elitist dumbasses giving it a bad rap

Killcount
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
you have to understand that not everyone is militant and "hatexedge" and all that bull**** about it though. there are far more edge people who do it solely for themselves and don't push their beliefs and get violent about it than the ones that get off by pushing their beliefs.

its just like everything else, theres always going to be a bunch of elitist dumbasses giving it a bad rap
Its about 50/50 between nice guys and assholes here. It doesnt bug me that much anymore because everyone breaks edge when they go to college, so its me dealing with a bunch of 16 year olds who think they're the ****

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm closing this because somewhere there is a massive Straight Edge thread.